Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-26-2006   #1
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Cass says Mario or Reggie

from www.kffl.com

Texans | Choice narrowed to Bush or Williams
Wed, 26 Apr 2006 13:01:29 -0700

The Associated Press reports Houston Texans general manager Charlie Casserly has announced that the team will select either USC RB Reggie Bush or North Carolina St. DE Mario Williams with the first pick in the 2006 NFL Draft. Casserly also dismissed the option of trading out of the first pick in the draft. "Right now we have nobody interested in that first pick, so we have gone ahead and begun negotiations with two players," Casserly said.
Old 04-26-2006   #2
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

Then I am liking Reggie's chances. Anyone else watching the Sportscenter Draft Special right now? It should change it's name to The Sportscenter Green Bay Packers Special. It has been 90% Green Bay today...I like Brett & all, but this is a little boring. & It has what to do with the Draft?
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006   #3
kcwilson
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP

And with that news... the "draft VY" campaign team begins to muster themselves and prepare for a concession speech.

I don't think we are smoke screening anyone with the news anymore. The only other option for us not to draft Bush is a last minute Jets' long bomb to trade up... which likely won't happen given their team needs and mgmt tendencies.
kcwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006   #4
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder how much this current Bush scandal is influencing the FO's decision? I'm sure it's something they want resolved quickly, because the last thing this team needs right now is bad press from one high profile player.

I'd be happy with the Williams pick, too, tho'.
Old 04-26-2006   #5
Texans86
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcwilson
And with that news... the "draft VY" campaign team begins to muster themselves and prepare for a concession speech.

I don't think we are smoke screening anyone with the news anymore. The only other option for us not to draft Bush is a last minute Jets' long bomb to trade up... which likely won't happen given their team needs and mgmt tendencies.
Obviously things have changed since FA, but at the end of the season, some experts were saying that the Jets are the most talented team to pick in the top 5 in awhile. Basically, the Jets could use a good running back to help the aging Curtis Martin, and they have the firepower to get up there and still have a decent amount of picks. Depends how much they sweat come Friday afternoon around 10:30 Saturday morning.
Old 04-26-2006   #6
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
from www.kffl.com

Texans | Choice narrowed to Bush or Williams
Wed, 26 Apr 2006 13:01:29 -0700

"Right now we have nobody interested in that first pick, so we have gone ahead and begun negotiations with two players," Casserly said.
Sounds like Bongo is pretty much on the money.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006   #7
Texans2005
Rookie

Default Two Man Race

This is news from houstontexans dot com today.

"General manager Charley Casserly laid out the Texans' draft plans Wednesday, and said the team will select either running back Reggie Bush or defensive end Mario Williams with the No. 1 overall pick on Saturday."
Texans2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-26-2006   #8
kcwilson
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans86
Obviously things have changed since FA, but at the end of the season, some experts were saying that the Jets are the most talented team to pick in the top 5 in awhile. Basically, the Jets could use a good running back to help the aging Curtis Martin, and they have the firepower to get up there and still have a decent amount of picks. Depends how much they sweat come Friday afternoon around 10:30 Saturday morning.
The Jets have a pick late in Rd. 1 where they will take one of the many RBs slated in go in that area. Why get just Bush, when they can get another RB and quality OT, QB, LB at #4?

I would rather have the #4 and #29 than the #1.
kcwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006   #9
Texans86
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcwilson
The Jets have a pick late in Rd. 1 where they will take one of the many RBs slated in go in that area. Why get just Bush, when they can get another RB and quality OT, QB, LB at #4?

I would rather have the #4 and #29 than the #1.
I didn't claim it would happen, I have know idea what the Jets front office really wants, I'm just saying it's the most reasonable.
Old 04-26-2006   #10
Caesar
Veteran

Quote:
As well as a "see, I told you so" speech for when he kicks our *** with the Titans twice every year.
Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006   #11
texansfaninla
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 texansfaninla has been demoted to the practice squad

Austin American-Statesman chimes in with direct quotes from Casserly:

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte...e_gm_says.html
texansfaninla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006   #12
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar
As well as a "see, I told you so" speech for when he kicks our *** with the Titans twice every year.
Perhaps in three or four years.
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006   #13
gwallaia

Rep Power: 66021 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans in negotiations with Bush, Williams Click here to find out more!
NFL.com wire reports

HOUSTON (April 26, 2006) -- The Houston Texans will take Southern Cal running back Reggie Bush or North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams with the first pick in the NFL draft (April 29-30), general manager Charley Casserly said.

The Texans dashed the hopes of University of Texas fans everywhere who have been clamoring for the team to pick Vince Young, a Houston native who led the Longhorns to a Rose Bowl victory over Bush and USC.

"We came to the conclusion that to draft a quarterback, whether it be Vince Young, Matt Leinart or Jay Cutler, was not the best thing for this football team," Casserly said. "The best thing for this football team was to use the first pick in this draft to add a premier player at another position."

Casserly said that part of their decision-making process involved contacting other teams to see if there was any interest in trading for their pick.

"Right now we have nobody interested in that first pick, so we have gone ahead and begun negotiations with two players," Casserly said.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/HOU/9398998

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006   #14
PokerStar
Veteran

It seems to me like we are closing in on our target. I have a sneaky suspicion or perhaps a fuzzy headed bird that told me we may be leaning Mario Williams way. I know that is just gonna piss people off and I have been wrong before (at least this one does not cost me 2bills). Hopefully we do go the Mario route, and if we do people at the draft party try to hold your booing to a low roar, that way those of us drinking and celebrating because our team is going in the right direction can enjoy our pick.
Old 04-26-2006   #15
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
I wonder how much this current Bush scandal is influencing the FO's decision? I'm sure it's something they want resolved quickly, because the last thing this team needs right now is bad press from one high profile player.

I'd be happy with the Williams pick, too, tho'.
I don't think it is. IMO Bush can pretty well deny everything and even if he is found guilty, I think that our FO is already well aware of just how much this kind of thing already happens all throughout the NCAA. The NCAA will possibly strip USC of its title, Reggie of his Heisman, and there will be a lot of backlash from that for a little while, but IMO it does not too much tarnish Reggie as a player and yes, even Reggie as a person. Yes, it appears he willingly cheated, and yes, it was immoral to do so, but this "scandal" has nothing to do with the guy as a player (e.g. juicing or fixing games) or breaking society's laws (e.g. beating his girl, bar fight, shootout with the cops, etc.) As it is, the NFL and its athletes are hardly a beacon of virtue.

If "got his family a better house" is the worst that anyone can say about Reggie Bush -- and so long as he avoids actual trouble with the law -- then I doubt our FO is worried about it.
Old 04-26-2006   #16
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerStar
It seems to me like we are closing in on our target. I have a sneaky suspicion or perhaps a fuzzy headed bird that told me we may be leaning Mario Williams way. I know that is just gonna piss people off and I have been wrong before (at least this one does not cost me 2bills). Hopefully we do go the Mario route, and if we do people at the draft party try to hold your booing to a low roar, that way those of us drinking and celebrating because our team is going in the right direction can enjoy our pick.
Amen to that. I will be happy with either Bush or Williams. Both are going to do big things for us. If Williams does become our pick, however, God forbid he gets injured in camp or comes out to a slow start. Our "fans" are gonna take awhile to embrace him, but winning makes everyone friends.
Old 04-26-2006   #17
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans never had any intention of picking up Vince Young. Casserly has been locked in on Reggie Bush since November.

They acknowledged Vince Young after he came out for the draft and lobbied for the team to draft him...but that was the extent of it. They paid lip-service to VY's supporters, but their actions pointed to VY not coming here. (The Carr extension, the Rosenfels signing, the free agent stockpile last month.)

They're not saying anything that we didn't truly know already.

I can't wait until the 29th.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006   #18
texansfaninla
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 texansfaninla has been demoted to the practice squad

And that's why, in the end, they've made this into a Mario-versus-Bush thing instead of a Vince-versus-Bush thing. Can you imagine the fever pitch if it was a down-to-the-wire, Vince-or-Bush pick? And how pissed the city would be if Bush was the guy they selected? I think the cat is out of the bag, and that Mario has been used for two reasons: (1) cut down the Bush contract demands, and (2) eliminate the Bush-or-Vince debate leading up to the draft. Now, by coming out and saying, "Hey, it's either Bush or Mario", that pretty much says, "Hey, it's Bush. And we've been telling you, it won't be Vince." It gives the majority of the pro-Vince crowd time to accept reality and come around on Bush, rather than have some false 50-50 hope that it'll be Vince up to the time Tags is ready to read the Texans draft card.

For me the debate is over. Finally. It's Bush. Period. Give me a Steel Blue No. 5 jersey, please. New Orleans, you are now on the clock...
texansfaninla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006   #19
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Well I am a big UT fan, and a big VY fan, but I have been saying since the Rose Bowl, This team has much more pressing needs than QB. At first I was hoping for a ton of picks in a trade down scenario, but after FA it doesn't look like that will happen. I really like the idea of the immediate impact Bush can have on our team. Especially coupled with the staff changes and off season acquisitions.

My favorite team overall, college or pro, is Houston, and I want what is best for them, and I don't think VY is it. He is a great athelete, I am sure he will be successful, I was sad he left UT, but we could use Reggie right away. He is just a better fit IMO, and since we can't get a boatload of picks for the #1. Drafting Bush is fantastic with me.

I hope we can come together and support the Texans' decision, knowing they did what the felt was best for the team. I know I am behind this team for the long haul.
Oh, and give 'em some time to come together and get things working, before people start breaking out the pitchforks and marching up the stairs of Reliant.

oh, and I am cool if we take Mario too, for the same reasons mentioned above: immediate impact, glaring need at DE.

Last edited by Hardcore Texan; 04-26-2006 at 04:26 PM.
Hardcore Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006   #20
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

The value of our #1 for trade purposes plummeted when NOLA signed
FA Drew Breeze, and at the same time the NOLA pick went thru the ceiling.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read