Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-26-2006   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Houston Texans in the 3-4

I just got schooled on our past coaches history with the 3-4.... did a little research, and now I'm wanting comments from you, the fans.

What happened??

Fangio & Capers

Quote:
During Fangio's tenure at Carolina, the Panthers set an expansion franchise record with seven victories in their first season. They had the best defense in the NFL the following season when they came within one game of reaching the Super Bowl.
Quote:
I feel we played a major part at Indianapolis, getting that turned around," Fangio told the AP. "To bring me here now, I told Dom, 'Let's finish what we started in Carolina.' "

The Colts surrendered the most points in the league in 2001 and, while some of those came on interception returns by opponents, the performance of the defense was still considered dismal. Fangio took most of the heat and, two weeks ago, general manager Bill Polian apprised Mora that he would have to dismiss Fangio and other defensive aides to retain his own job.

Even though Fangio told Mora he likely had a job lined up with Capers, the Colts' coach refused to fire his close friend, and he himself was then canned on Tuesday afternoon.

Mora called Fangio "the finest defensive coach" with whom he had ever worked.
Was Carolina a fluke??

Was it our players??

Our drafting??
Old 04-26-2006   #2
Hawg
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
I just got schooled on our past coaches history with the 3-4.... did a little research, and now I'm wanting comments from you, the fans.

What happened??

Fangio & Capers

Was Carolina a fluke??

Was it our players??

Our drafting??
I think that it was first and foremost Charlie C. You cant blame the players for being brought into a system that they dont know or havent ever played in. Scond i think that Capers/Fangio did a horrible job caching up the players,IMO.
Old 04-26-2006   #3
Frills
Veteran

Vet players made Carolina

Cutting Glenn and Sharper neutered the leadership on the D, and you go 2-14
Frills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006   #4
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Fangio was a dog, plain and simple. He was bad in Indy and he was bad here. The tape doesn't lie ... review his playcalls and if you watch closely for long enough, you too will be thinking, what the hell was he calling there? Anyone remember our brilliant strategy against, who was it, the Ravens? We were up 2 with less than two minutes to go and we play soft zone to let them nickel and dime it all the way down the field, and then from about the 50 yard line we run cover 0 and blitz everyone and, oh my word, unthinkably our lone safety (who has never been a good cover guy) gets beat by the WR for about 30 yards and the Ravens kick the easy FG for the W. Our guys could have tipped the ball or done just about anything else there and it still would have been stupid playcalling.

Call it for what it is: a bad coach. Cutting Glenn and Sharper didn't help but our defensive playcalling was just bad.
Old 04-26-2006   #5
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

In Carolina, they had Kevin Greene and Lavar Latho(sp) rushing off the end, while we had 2 DE in similar positions and didnt allow them to pin thier ears back and rush. Greene and Lathon were hell on olines.
Old 04-26-2006   #6
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

It was everything.
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006   #7
dwilt72
Veteran

I heard numerous references to how hard our 3-4 defense was to learn. I'm not sure why. Doesn't seem like other 3-4 teams had that much problem. San Diego made a change from 4-3 to 3-4 and overnight they improved. I just seem to me that we played too cautious and tried not to lose rather than to win. It just didn't seem like we blitzed enough, or if we did blitz the players couldn't get there in time. I liked Capers, but it seems like Fangio was a loser everywhere he went.
dwilt72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-26-2006   #8
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398704 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Our 3-4 was a cover 2 of sorts, but we lacked any ability to put pressure on the pocket. And without a pass rush (along with soft coverage), we basically had a sort of prevent working.

It's like the previous staff just lacked confidence in themselves, the system, and/or the players. I never felt like we had any aggressiveness to our squads in the past four years (well, the first year wasn't too bad...think Pittsburgh game).
Old 04-27-2006   #9
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21216 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frills
Vet players made Carolina

Cutting Glenn and Sharper neutered the leadership on the D, and you go 2-14
I would agree. Plus, I think many of Carolina's players had already played in and been familiar with the 3-4. The Texans were transitioning players every year.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #10
pittbull
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to pittbull
Default Easy

Charlie C had no idea what he was doing. The Texans went after project guys, instead of plugging the holes with Vets that previously played the 3-4, like in Carolina. When guys like Clark Haggans were available last season from Pittsburgh, the Texans chose Morlon Greeenwood. This guy barely played the 4-3 well in Miami, and was overrated due to their d being so good. Robaire Smith (plays like Kimo Van Olf) was a great pickup, but he needs a stud DE on the opposite side. Your job in the 3-4 is to eat blocks for the LB's. We let a good MBL go in Sharper and placed Greenwood in there! Foley was released and he was the perfect rushing LB. Charlie C is the reason for the season (2-14). AS for the offense, that was Capers responsbility. Let the o fly, instead of holding it back and trying to play like Pittsburgh. Do a little more searching and you will find most coaches that come from a regime, usually carry the same characteristics. This team was built to play like Pittsburgh, but the players we never drafted like such! Cowher, Shottenheimer, Capers, LeBeau, all these guys come from the same mold. Actually, Cohwer admitted to the pittsubrgh fans why they were succcessful this season, as opposed to the past. He finaaly let the offense be the offense and worred about the defense. If you have a high flying O, let it roll, that has nothing to do with the defense. Their job is to stop the opposing team, not help the offense score. Maybe Capers learned Cowhers lesson a season to late, let's hope Casserly didn't!
Old 04-27-2006   #11
ComstockLode
Veteran

Lets not forget, our defense at one time was very good considering the inability of our offense. And especially considering matt stevens was starting.

What happened you may ask? Players got older, and were replaced with less capable players. Plus we never have had anything but below average OLB and safeties.
ComstockLode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #12
dwilt72
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittbull
Charlie C had no idea what he was doing. The Texans went after project guys, instead of plugging the holes with Vets that previously played the 3-4, like in Carolina. When guys like Clark Haggans were available last season from Pittsburgh, the Texans chose Morlon Greeenwood. This guy barely played the 4-3 well in Miami, and was overrated due to their d being so good. Robaire Smith (plays like Kimo Van Olf) was a great pickup, but he needs a stud DE on the opposite side. Your job in the 3-4 is to eat blocks for the LB's. We let a good MBL go in Sharper and placed Greenwood in there! Foley was released and he was the perfect rushing LB. Charlie C is the reason for the season (2-14). AS for the offense, that was Capers responsbility. Let the o fly, instead of holding it back and trying to play like Pittsburgh. Do a little more searching and you will find most coaches that come from a regime, usually carry the same characteristics. This team was built to play like Pittsburgh, but the players we never drafted like such! Cowher, Shottenheimer, Capers, LeBeau, all these guys come from the same mold. Actually, Cohwer admitted to the pittsubrgh fans why they were succcessful this season, as opposed to the past. He finaaly let the offense be the offense and worred about the defense. If you have a high flying O, let it roll, that has nothing to do with the defense. Their job is to stop the opposing team, not help the offense score. Maybe Capers learned Cowhers lesson a season to late, let's hope Casserly didn't!
I couldn't agree more.
dwilt72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read