Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-25-2006   #1
bulldawgtexan
Rookie

Default Incorporate Bush the correct way

I am not in the "pick Reggie" crowd, however, if we do select him, there is no question that he will help our team only if it is packaged correctly. I am concerned that our team will become "Reggie Bush and the Texans". A player with this kind of reputation is going to get tons of spotlight. A team that centers around one player will always struggle. No Super Bowl. However, if we remain the "Houston Texans" and Reggie becomes a quality team player, then Super Bowl here we come. If we share the love on offense, then we will drive defenses insane.
bulldawgtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006   #2
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldawgtexan
I am not in the "pick Reggie" crowd, however, if we do select him, there is no question that he will help our team only if it is packaged correctly. I am concerned that our team will become "Reggie Bush and the Texans". A player with this kind of reputation is going to get tons of spotlight. A team that centers around one player will always struggle. No Super Bowl. However, if we remain the "Houston Texans" and Reggie becomes a quality team player, then Super Bowl here we come. If we share the love on offense, then we will drive defenses insane.
I partially agree. I agree that we need to keep the team mentality together and not just make the whole offense about Reggie. However, I feel that a "new face" is what this franchise needs. I think that having a player of Reggie's persona will allow David Carr to not be under so much spotlight and allow him to develope more this year. I think the focus on Reggie will not affect the team mentality though as many of our players just want to start winning games. I've heard DD always making comments like I just want to win or whatever helps the team win. Andre Johnson played on a very studded Miami team so he knows what it is like to play with other high caliber teammates. I also think that the mixture of Flannagan and Moulds will provide the type of team/veteran leadership to keep us straight.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006   #3
horn_omatic
Rookie

With kubiak coaching, i don't think he would let this happen. Everyone in Denver seems to put the team ahead of themselves. As much as i want defense in this draft, Reggie didn't seem to mind sharing the carries last year.
Old 04-25-2006   #4
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn_omatic
With kubiak coaching, i don't think he would let this happen. Everyone in Denver seems to put the team ahead of themselves. As much as i want defense in this draft, Reggie didn't seem to mind sharing the carries last year.
This is how I see it. And let us not forget the media is going to be the media no matter what, what is important is what goes on in the locker room and on the field, I expect him to be a good teamate so it shouldn't be an issue.

If nothing else maybe we will get more national media attention, How often do you hear "Peyton Manning and the Colts" when people talk about INDY.
As of right now it is hard to find any national coverage, of course I wouldn't care if I lived in Houston and got all the coverage and TV shows like you guys do. Last season here in the Austin area not only did they stop showing games, FSN Southwest quit showing Texans Huddle/Texans Wrap which was about the only thing I could find on TV specifically about our team.
Old 04-25-2006   #5
David's Busted Carr
Veteran

There is nothing wrong with Reggie Bush being the face of our franchise. In fact it's good on several fronts.

1) He will bring our team NATIONAL appeal, something this franchise has never had. With national appeal comes more exposure and prime time games! I bet if the Texans are halfway decent this year we'll get a late season Monday night game (when they can start picking games).

2) It will take huge pressure off of David Carr. And I'm not talking about what Bush does on the field (which speaks for itself), but reporters will flock to him and interview him and relieve Carr of having to answer all the questions of why we lost or struggled.

3) Reggie doesn't seem like a "me first" kind of guy. He shared the spotlight at USC with Matt Lienert and seems very humble in the interviews I've seen. I think he will be a great team player and is the type of player that will make everyone around him BETTER!

Just watch how much Carr and our Oline will "improve" just because the talent of Bush!
David's Busted Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006   #6
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's Busted Carr
I bet if the Texans are halfway decent this year we'll get a late season Monday night game (when they can start picking games).
The MNF games (ESPN) are set in stone for the year. I think you mean the NBC SNF games.
Old 04-25-2006   #7
David's Busted Carr
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
The MNF games (ESPN) are set in stone for the year. I think you mean the NBC SNF games.
Yes, that's what I meant.
David's Busted Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-25-2006   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 298525 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with Reggie Bush being the face of our franchise. In fact it's good on several fronts.
1) He will bring our team NATIONAL appeal, something this franchise has never had. With national appeal comes more exposure and prime time games! I bet if the Texans are halfway decent this year we'll get a late season Monday night game (when they can start picking games).
I bet Seattly will get more nationally televised games, than Oakland...... Even though Oakland has Randy Moss. you win, you get TV time, it's really that simple.
Quote:

2) It will take huge pressure off of David Carr. And I'm not talking about what Bush does on the field (which speaks for itself), but reporters will flock to him and interview him and relieve Carr of having to answer all the questions of why we lost or struggled.
The Houston Texans are passing on Vince Young...... life will not be easier for David Carr, till he wins a superbowl.
Quote:
3) Reggie doesn't seem like a "me first" kind of guy. He shared the spotlight at USC with Matt Lienert and seems very humble in the interviews I've seen. I think he will be a great team player and is the type of player that will make everyone around him BETTER!
Sounds like Terrell Owens to me..... before he was T.O. that is.....

But I love T.O., so I don't count that against him.
Quote:
Just watch how much Carr and our Oline will "improve" just because the talent of Bush!
You won't know how much of it is because of Kubiak/Sherman, and how much of it is Bush.....
Old 04-25-2006   #9
marroncito
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldawgtexan
I think he means more on the field like Steve Smith was for the Panthers this season. Smith was the Panthers offense and he was really good. But when the Seahawks triple teamed him the whole game, the Panthers really didn't go anywhere else with the ball.
marroncito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 298525 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by marroncito
I think he means more on the field like Steve Smith was for the Panthers this season. Smith was the Panthers offense and he was really good. But when the Seahawks triple teamed him the whole game, the Panthers really didn't go anywhere else with the ball.

Remember when he got thrown out of the Cowboys game??

that was funny.

and I like SS.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read