Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-24-2006   #1
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Dr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballotDr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default VY gets reality show

This fall on BET. Good news for fans of this guy. "Next Level". Major Adams ain't doin' too bad.

http://www.movieweb.com/tv/news/58/12258.php

Last edited by Dr. Toro; 04-24-2006 at 09:04 PM. Reason: link
Dr. Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #2
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to BradK10 Send a message via Yahoo to BradK10

yeah, got a Reality TV show on a network that only 13% of the country watches. great job Major
Old 04-24-2006   #3
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Nooooooooo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Toro
This fall on BET. Good news for fans of this guy. "Next Level". Major Adams ain't doin' too bad.

http://www.movieweb.com/tv/news/58/12258.php

I like VY better than most, but I think this is a terrible idea. Reality TV isn't about what is real--it is putting on a show, with TV camera and crew following you around. It is figuring out what to do to make things interesting.

Most teams want nothing to do with distractions or anything that makes one player more of an individual than the team. And I bet the veterans of the team would just love the new rook and his camera crew running about.

Oh, and lovely, this news is released right before the draft. There might be a few teams that are up for this sort of promotion but for the most part, good football guys don't want cameras anywhere near what they are doing.

I am completely underwhelmed by VY's representation. It freaked me out when it was first announced, and the more time elapses, the less I think it is looking out for what is in Vince's best interests.

Maybe I am just showing my biases against fake reality, but I think the chances of this resulting in bad stuff are higher than it resulting in something good.
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #4
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not real big on reality TV, but my wife watches it all the time. This means I watch it all the time. If it's done right, it won't be bad. Anybody else ever watch "Hard Knocks" on HBO? Seems similar.

How about "The Ultimate Fighter?"

The truth is that they'll make reality shows about anything and it can be interesting. The story of a young guy taking his career to the next level is a good story.

How well the story is executed...we'll see.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.

Last edited by Mr. White; 04-24-2006 at 10:21 PM.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #5
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3326 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry but that just seems stupid. What's it gonna be about if he has to sit on the bench? I just don't get it. Couldn't they wait until Vince is an established player?
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #6
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Red Bull
I'm not real big on reality TV, but my wife watches it all the time. This means I watch it all the time. If it's done right, it won't be bad. Anybody else ever watch "Hard Knocks" on HBO? Seems similar.

How about "The Ultimate Fighter?"

The truth is that they'll make reality shows about anything and it can be interesting. The story of a young guy taking his career to the next level is a good story.

How well the story is executed...we'll see.

I have no doubt that they can make it interesting. But putting cameras on people changes the way they behave. It just does. And though Vince may feel comfortable with a camera crew around him, not everyone else may.

I'd watch it but geez, it has to be a distraction at a time he needs to have a laser beam focus in getting prepared. Maybe Im just old school.
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #7
BradK10
Hall of Fame

It'll really win him over on his veteran teammates too. That goes for ANY rookie to do something like this.
Old 04-24-2006   #8
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Dr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballotDr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
I have no doubt that they can make it interesting. But putting cameras on people changes the way they behave. It just does. And though Vince may feel comfortable with a camera crew around him, not everyone else may.

I'd watch it but geez, it has to be a distraction at a time he needs to have a laser beam focus in getting prepared. Maybe Im just old school.

I'd imagine they use file footage and keep their distance for football related stuff. People are gonna do what they do off the field... I don't imagine this will be much of a distraction. You're talking about maybe 12 episodes with 20 minutes of footage per. I don't think the cameras will be stalking him. Free pub for the club... I can't believe any of the related parties will let this become an issue. Yes, people act differently when on camera, but since when has this guy been inconspicuous?
Old 04-24-2006   #9
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradK10
yeah, got a Reality TV show on a network that only 13% of the country watches. great job Major

Ignorant statement. What % of the country watches a&e or bravo or any of the hundreds of cable channels.
Old 04-24-2006   #10
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

guess they figure it will be interesting for him ..he could go as high as #1 to possibly #9 from reports.. should be a rollercoaster for him
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #11
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 40233 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Did'nt Plaxico Burress do,"MTV TRUE LIFE", six years ago???
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #12
UberDork
Veteran

Rep Power: 216 UberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respected

It’s about name recognition…Politicians get it…I seem to recall that 85% of incumbent politicians win, and name recognition is the biggest part of it. Why is it that so many companies put out such crappy commercials? It is name recognition…If people know the name, money easily follows. We seem to trust things that we have heard of much more than the unfamiliar. Of course he has to play well…so we shall see.
UberDork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #13
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree that this might be a distraction for a kid his age. But then again it might not.

Todd Heap was (about) the same age as Vince when "Hard Knocks" profiled his rookie training camp. Seems like he turned out all right.

Give the kid a break. They're trying something that hasn't really been done before. If they're gonna give him the show, do you really expect him to say no?

If it's an insightful documentary, then it should be good. If it's an hour-long music video, then it'll probably suck.
Old 04-24-2006   #14
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Toro
Ignorant statement. What % of the country watches a&e or bravo or any of the hundreds of cable channels.
I can't find any cable network rankings other than for individual shows, but when your objective is to cater to one particular audience, in which BET does, well...my statement isnt' ignorant, its just simple statistics.
Old 04-24-2006   #15
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Hard Knocks also wasn't a show completely devoted to Todd Heap, completely different.
Old 04-24-2006   #16
TreWardTxn
Veteran

I hate reality TV more than most people, but following rookies through minicamp and the preseason is something that interests me, just as "Hard Knocks" and all those player highlights they have on the NFL channel. I could care less about all the off-field footage, but that stuff appeals to lots of younger people (and old) who are drawn to seeing "the life". If Black Entertainment Television caters to about 13% of the population, then they aren't doing that bad for themselves, being that is about the size of their niche market. Simply because it doesn't appeal to ME doesn't mean I'm gonna get all judgemental about it.

And another thing, for better or worse, I applaud Young for giving someone the opportunity to enter the sportsworld business, even though it would be ideal if they had a business relationship first. More athletes should do the same. All these high dollar agents are only good for anything because they have the inside connections that allowed them to build experience. Anyone can do the same if they can get their foot in the door, but too many guys get scared away at the prospect of not squeezing every last cent out of that first contract...
TreWardTxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #17
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradK10
Hard Knocks also wasn't a show completely devoted to Todd Heap, completely different.
Never said that it was....but IMO, not completely different.
The truth is that we won't know until it comes on.

In the meantime, my wife has me watching crap like "Hogan Knows Best" and "America's Next Top Model." From where I'm sitting, a VY reality show don't sound that bad. Hell, the article also said they're gonna have another Ultimate Fighting show on BET. I'll probably watch that one too.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not necessarily waving an orange flag around this time. Once it comes on, I'll be the first one to say it sucks.
Old 04-24-2006   #18
BradK10
Hall of Fame

What's the matter, viewers of BET can't watch the Ultimate Fighter show on Spike?
Old 04-24-2006   #19
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star
Did'nt Plaxico Burress do,"MTV TRUE LIFE", six years ago???
I doubt it, but Tucker Max was on that show.

I've had enough of VY's fake laughs.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006   #20
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Plax was a Cribs episode

Tucker Max was on True Life? Which one?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read