Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-24-2006   #1
DRIFTAWAY
All Pro

Default AJ Hawk

Now im not saying we should go out and get AJ Hawk but had a thought about it..

People were talking about drafting Mario Williams because Defense wins championships and that our defense needs more help. Well don't we need more help at linebacker then defensive line? Wouldnt that mean it would be smarter to trade down and get AJ Hawk and extra picks.
Most Improved- Juwan Howard
DRIFTAWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #2
Texans86
All Pro

Yes
Old 04-24-2006   #3
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

You guys will have us taking Sinorice Moss with the first pick by the end of this week.

Can we please stop deluding ourselves that there's somehow a "surprise" player out there that we need to target?

Best players available are (in order):

1. Bush
2. Ferguson
3. Williams/Leinart/Young
4. AJ Hawk
5. Vernon Davis

Out of this crop of guys, there's no way we make any sort of trade for Hawk.

We'll draft Bush and then we'll entertain draft offers from just about all the remaining teams picking after we picked at No. 1.

At least that's what a smart team would do. You go for the jugular and you make teams come to you if they want the best player in this year's draft. If not, then you got yourself....the best player in the draft.

Funny how soon Bush is being torn apart from every angle as the draft gets nearer and nearer. Ads in the Chronicle promoting Young, claims of booster/agent impropriety with Bush's parents and their illegitimate house, and now articles about how Mario is the smarter way to go.

One thing's for sure: All of us are under the mesmerizing spell of a sports media running wild on the NFL fever we all have contracted.

No way is there any sport more addicting than NFL. God bless the NFL.

GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #4
DRIFTAWAY
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
You guys will have us taking Sinorice Moss with the first pick by the end of this week.

Can we please stop deluding ourselves that there's somehow a "surprise" player out there that we need to target?

1. Bush
2. Ferguson
4. AJ Hawk
5. Vernon Davis

Out of this crop of guys, there's no way we make any sort of trade for Hawk.

We'll draft Bush and then we'll entertain draft offers from just about all the remaining teams picking after we picked at No. 1.

At least that's what a smart team would do. You go for the jugular and you make teams come to you if they want the best player in this year's draft. If not, then you got yourself....the best player in the draft.

Funny how soon Bush is being torn apart from every angle as the draft gets nearer and nearer. Ads in the Chronicle promoting Young, claims of booster/agent impropriety with Bush's parents and their illegitimate house, and now articles about how Mario is the smarter way to go.

One thing's for sure: All of us are under the mesmerizing spell of a sports media running wild on the NFL fever we all have contracted.

No way is there any sport more addicting than NFL. God bless the NFL.

in no way did i mean this to be an anti-bush or anti-anybody thread i was just saying if we do in fact take Mario Williams wouldnt it help us more to get AJ Hawk
Most Improved- Juwan Howard
DRIFTAWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #5
Texans86
All Pro

Slightly different. I'd rather take Hawk than Bush, and get extra picks to boot. He is considered one of the elite prospects. Trading inside the top five gives a chance at him.

Seems reasonable to me.
Old 04-24-2006   #6
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIFTAWAY
in no way did i mean this to be an anti-bush or anti-anybody thread i was just saying if we do in fact take Mario Williams wouldnt it help us more to get AJ Hawk
I like Williams over Hawk because of the sheer power and dominance. Hawk is a crafty player with sound technique and a good nose for the football...but I just feel that Williams is the more powerful and dominant player.

I understand where you're coming from, though: Our history at LB has been atrocious and awful. We need a good LB, but I don't think we trade out of the top spot for him. Again...I wouldn't be unhappy if we got Hawk, but I just think he's not as big of a prospect as Bush/Ferguson/Williams. I rate him slightly behind Young and Leinart.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #7
Boxscore
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976

1. Bush
2. Ferguson
4. AJ Hawk
5. Vernon Davis

I would love to see the Texans somehow work a deal to get Ferguson and Hawk in some type of tradedown. Anyone have an idea of how that could happen?
Old 04-24-2006   #8
kcwilson
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP

THe problem iwth going down too far in the top 5 is that we get stuck with one of the non-QB position players, because I don't think both Leinart and Young come off the board in the top 4. Therefore, we are stuck with someone who is nice, but would rather control our own destiny.

Multiple picks are nice, but consider if we trade down first, then someone moves up ahead of us and we are stuck with a choice at #5 of Leinart, Young, or Huff. Just play the What ifs....

#1 lets us control our destiny, which ought to be Bush.
kcwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #9
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIFTAWAY
Now im not saying we should go out and get AJ Hawk but had a thought about it..

People were talking about drafting Mario Williams because Defense wins championships and that our defense needs more help. Well don't we need more help at linebacker then defensive line? Wouldnt that mean it would be smarter to trade down and get AJ Hawk and extra picks.
LB is probably a little more of a need than DE, although we are just as much money problems with the positions that Hawk would play as we do on our DLine, plus A.J. Hawk is nowhere near the prospect that Mario Williams is in terms of current talent or upside potential, or in terms of their position's impact on the game. For a rough example, DE can compare to QB as probably the most important position on their side of the ball, while LB is more like a RB in that you can find servicable if not quite good LBs anywhere in the draft, while finding stud DEs are truly rare.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006   #10
TreWardTxn
Veteran

We need a pass rush and the only way to get that out of the 4-3 without blitzing is to have a monster end like Williams. Hawk will be nice for some team tho...
TreWardTxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006   #11
CoastalTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 30 CoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to CoastalTexan

Could Hawk be the "stud" at MLB like our new Defensive coordinator said he wanted for our defense?
CoastalTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read