Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

View Poll Results: Would you be disappointed with Mario Williams as our #1 pick?
Yes 45 39.82%
No 68 60.18%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-24-2006   #1
Doom Capers
Veteran

Default Mario Williams and Disappointment

I was just curious. Would anyone be disappointed if we drafted Mario Willams with the #1 pick?
Doom Capers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #2
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 5042 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

No, check at the article in draft section on taking mario vs bush.

Texan, back in Texas!
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #3
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Im taking either Bush or Young #1, and if I do trade down, its a toss up between Mario and Dbrick.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #4
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

MY answer is HELL NO...I would be extremely happy. Might be in the minority at the draft party, but I would think the FO is a genius. Might be the first to get his number 92 jersey.
Old 04-24-2006   #5
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

either way i'm happy
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #6
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

No way. We'd at least be filling a need.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #7
Blu
All Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to Blu

not with the overall #1...as a trade down, no problem.
Old 04-24-2006   #8
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 630 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan in Japan
No, check at the article in draft section on taking mario vs bush.
What he said.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #9
Doom Capers
Veteran

I am glad I am not the only one who wouldn't mind hearing Mario's name called. Don't get me wrong, I do like Bush a lot, but Mario seems like the better choice.
Old 04-24-2006   #10
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I doubt we can afford Reggie. Too many other needs to fill that also require cash.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #11
Janus3
Veteran

if we got mario williams, d'brickshaw ferguson or reggie bush with teh first pick i wouldn't be upset. if we got aj hawk in a trade down, i wouldn't be upset. we didn't get one of those four, i'd be very upset.
Old 04-24-2006   #12
Doom Capers
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janus3
if we got mario williams, d'brickshaw ferguson or reggie bush with teh first pick i wouldn't be upset. if we got aj hawk in a trade down, i wouldn't be upset. we didn't get one of those four, i'd be very upset.

That is very fair. I am glad you are not on the VY bandwagon.
Old 04-24-2006   #13
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I am very happy that they have honed in on the two best players, in my opinion. Trade down would be great as well.

It pains me about VY. I love watching him, but we already have one unproven QB getting paid 7+mil per year.
Old 04-24-2006   #14
bad
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 bad is on the Pro-Bowl ballotbad is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I'd be disappointed if we drafted Mario with the #1 OVERALL pick, but I don't think that will happen.

If we trade down (and don't get fleeced) then pick up Mario at anywhere from #2 on down, I'd be good with that.

Vince Lombardi
bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #15
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

I would be thrilled with Bush or Mario at #1 overall, either one should be great for our team and both are worth the pick. I think Reggie Bush is the best overall player in the draft, I think Mario is a more rare combination of size/strength/athleticism and that Mario would have a bigger impact on our defense than Reggie would on our offense, and I would like to see the FO have the cajones to draft Mario at #1 if they believe he is the best choice for our team.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
Mario would have a bigger impact on our defense than Reggie would on our offense
I'll have to disagree with you on this one. it would be much easier to shutdown a DE than someone who could play in the slot or any number of positions.

I also feel that D'brick fills a bigger need than MW, but it looks like the Texans are gonna once again fail to address David Carrs protection with elite talent. let it be noted I'm also not sold on McKinney @ LG. the offensive line will be improved with added weapons but Carr still needs time and security to utilize them.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #17
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

I wouldnt be mad at all...Our D could use a play maker
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #18
Djjoeyv
Rookie

Default Only if...

Not dissappointed only if we trade down to do it, but that is ver unlikely to happen. No team this year wants to give up that much where there are so many great picks in this years draft.
Djjoeyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #19
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
I'll have to disagree with you on this one. it would be much easier to shutdown a DE than someone who could play in the slot or any number of positions.

I also feel that D'brick fills a bigger need than MW, but it looks like the Texans are gonna once again fail to address David Carrs protection with elite talent. let it be noted I'm also not sold on McKinney @ LG. the offensive line will be improved with added weapons but Carr still needs time and security to utilize them.
I disagree with you there. It is easier to neutralize a great RB (look at what the Eagles did to LaDanian Tomlinson this year in holding him to 17 carries for 7 yards) and focus on him for the 25 plays a game that he is going to be an impact when a play is called for him than to neutralize a dominant DE that is going to be in on every snap and has the ability to make a big play every single play, regardless of what play call is made.

I am not sold on McKinney at anything on our OLine, I am not sold on several of our guys there (I think Pitts is good at LT, Wiegert is solid at RT or especially OG, and Flanagan should be solid at C), I just don't think D'Brick is all that much better than some of the other OTs in this draft (one or two of which will be available at #33), and the Broncos system has also proven in the past that they can be successful without the "top" talent on the OLine, even moreso than they've proven with not need the top RBs available. Denver's offense has been very successful by filling pieces that fit their system, D'Brick and Reggie definitely fit their system and should be very good performers in there, but at the same time you can find guys in the 4th round or lower that would be very functional in their system, whereas the difference between Mario Williams and anyone else in this draft at his position (or on our current roster) is much bigger.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006   #20
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

No - not at all - I would be happy wit hthe Williams pick - Allthough I would be happier with a trade down scenario as ive said on many other threads. Reggie is special dont get me wrong, but like many other teams around this league - you can improve the offense pretty easily, but bottom line Defense wins championships. On the texans - Idealy Reggie would touch the ball maybe 20 times a game tops including rushing and returns and while having a great rusher is nice for the offense, it doesnt stop the other team from scoring when its their turn and their are plenty of clubs who can score. When I look at the Colts, Chiefs and Broncos - they are all good offensive clubs, can light up the scoreboard in a hurry, but they also had real trouble stopping anyone else from doing the same - esp in the playoffs where it really counts and the competition level goes way up. Grabbing A #1 RB is nice when you can, but its no formula for championships - How many did barry Sanders, Edge, Priest Holmes etc.. win? Thats why getting the best value from your pick that benefits a whole squad is the better choice. Denver, Pittsburgh and GB have proved that you can have really good success on offense without top tier 1st round talent. IT makes it easier sure, but its not entirely necessary. Its been shown numerous times that Running back by committee is certainly a very viable option and keeps your offense fresh for the long haul. The rub is that your defense is going to still spend alot of time on the field and thus a Defensive playmaker can have more overall impact in a game than one offensive player and why the Steelers and nearly every other team for the last 20 years with a good defense was always in the playoffs and competing for chapionships. The Defense keeps them in the game down to the end and keeps giving the offense another chance.

Here's another take from ESPn on why Mario is the better pick over Reggie

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft0...e=NFLHeadlines

Last edited by U4ikrob; 04-25-2006 at 09:47 AM.
U4ikrob is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read