Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-24-2004   #1
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 40925 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Quincy A Jet

Quincy has landed with the Jets.

Jets | Carter Signed - from www.KFFL.com
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 09:07:17 -0700

ESPNews reports the New York Jets have signed free agent QB Quincy Carter (Cowboys) to a one-year deal. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
Old 08-24-2004   #2
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

I'm sure he is excited. He should easily find him a dealer for his fix. He will just have to go out and look for a dealer in NY, not have it brought to team headquarters like in Dallas.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004   #3
pv1999
Veteran

The Jets and Cowboys just traded QB's without losing face with the fans. Why else would QC be released in such a way and get scooped by the Jets. JJ would get his Dallas pass revoked if he traded QC for Testaverde but the way it worked out, he will be in his new stadium before the Dallas fans figure this one out.
Old 08-24-2004   #4
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pv1999
The Jets and Cowboys just traded QB's without losing face with the fans. Why else would QC be released in such a way and get scooped by the Jets. JJ would get his Dallas pass revoked if he traded QC for Testaverde but the way it worked out, he will be in his new stadium before the Dallas fans figure this one out.

I think your theory is suspect at best.

Quincy was released because 1)they have had it with his drug use 2)poor attitude this past off-season 3)maybe they finally just realized they made a mistake and he's not all that good.

I've read several places where Quincy actually has spoken to several teams. It's hardly as though he was scooped up by the Jets as some prize. They settled because he has NFL experience. Apparently if they think Quincy can do better than the QB's they have in camp they must really be having QB problems.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004   #5
jgl35
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1760 jgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respected

A back up to Pennington until something better comes along.
jgl35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004   #6
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

Just wondering ... with him going to the Jets, are the Cowboys out of hot water with Gene Upshaw and the players association over his release?
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 269149 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

According to one article (sorry no link) prior to his signing with the Jets, if Quincy signed a contract the complaint was dead.
Old 08-24-2004   #8
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know but that would seem odd that they would just drop it.

After all if a wrong was done it would still need to be hashed out. I have not read anything about the signing other than what was posted here.

Edited to add: On MSN.com Gene Upshaw is quoted as stating that the union will still pursue the case.
Old 08-24-2004   #9
kbourda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34 kbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respected

Just curious about something. If he has failed several "drug tests" and has a "drug problem" why is he even allowed to play in the league? And don't come at me with this Players Association junk either. The NFL has made it known (albeit on not an official basis) to "Blackball" certain things. So why should Quincy's "drug use" be any different? I believe he isn't nor ever was one of Parcell's "boys". And that fact along with it that he never was any good any way just made it easier.
Old 08-24-2004   #10
WWJD
Hall of Fame

I think Quincy's drug issue is pot and not cocaine.

I have read a few articles that I considered to be accurate and they stated that he had been to rehab several times and that the issue with pot still existed.

I do agree that he's not a Parcells type player; that seems certain.

I'm not familiar with the NFL drug policy really but I had read where Quincy was facing a fine of 4 game checks.
Old 08-24-2004   #11
pv1999
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD
I think your theory is suspect at best.

Quincy was released because 1)they have had it with his drug use 2)poor attitude this past off-season 3)maybe they finally just realized they made a mistake and he's not all that good.
QC commands more respect than what was recieved. He led the offense to the playoffs last year, he was that good. He kept quiet when they went out and got a baseball player to replace him, not necessarily an NFL attitude. And the drug use? We're talking about Parcells (LT) and the Cowboys (Ervin, Henderson, etc..) they have historically shown a talent for dealing with drug abusers.
But when he ends up with....The Jets, in Vinnie's spot. and Vinnie ends up in Dallas in Quincy's spot.
It does make one wonder.
Old 08-25-2004   #12
WWJD
Hall of Fame

I think the Cowboys made the playoffs last year based on a stout defense although I won't say that Quincy did have his moments. Basically though I've always felt that Quincy was very average or maybe even below average.

His attitude, in the article I read, was poor this past off-season. It had nothing to do with Chad Hutchison. Chad is no threat to even Quincy; he's that poor of an NFL QB.

I think it is just coincidence that Quincy ended up with the Jets.
Old 08-25-2004   #13
pv1999
Veteran

Who is the winner Dallas or NYJ? It seems that NYJ has solidified the QB position with a backup upgrade. (You only need one hand to carry a clipboard, hopefully he can keep the other hand off the bong, at least during games.) While Dallas has put in a "Purcells" type at QB.
What if Pennington goes down and Quincy leads the JETS to the playoffs?
After all he is the 5th all-time passer from the Dallas Cowboys organization.

Hey, has anyone seen the Cowboy guy who lost the avitar bet? He's been really quiet lately.

Last edited by pv1999; 08-25-2004 at 12:02 PM.
pv1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004   #14
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Guess there won't be a "winner" till the end of the year and we see how they play. If Quincy even gets to play that is.

And personally I never thought Quincy was much of a prize.

It's fairly obvious the Cowboys are grooming Drew Henson to be their QB of the future and Quincy, I don't think, fit into their future plans anyway.

He needs to get his life straightened out.
Old 08-25-2004   #15
HowBoutThemCowboys!
All Pro

Rep Power: 30 HowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pv1999
Who is the winner Dallas or NYJ? It seems that NYJ has solidified the QB position with a backup upgrade. (You only need one hand to carry a clipboard, hopefully he can keep the other hand off the bong, at least during games.) While Dallas has put in a "Purcells" type at QB.
What if Pennington goes down and Quincy leads the JETS to the playoffs?
After all he is the 5th all-time passer from the Dallas Cowboys organization.

Hey, has anyone seen the Cowboy guy who lost the avitar bet? He's been really quiet lately.

I'm here I'm here

I was a bit of a Carter fan but I did and can admit it was the Dallas D who lead Dallas to the playoffs. Heck Carter had more intercepions than touchdowns. I have no doubt Vinny will do better than Carter last season. Before Q.C was cut I was extremely worried about how he'll do with Keyshawn. I just couldnt see Q.C being accurate enough to thrown in the middle of the field in the heat of battle to Johnson, since most of Johnson's routes end up in the middle. Now that his former Q.B Vinny is taking the starter spot, I have a great feeling that the Vinny-Keyshawn connection of the 12-4 Jets of 98' will be magnifacent. Man, I cant wait for the Minnesota game....

Dallas Cowboys- 5 Time World Champions
HowBoutThemCowboys! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004   #16
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowBoutThemCowboys!
Man, I cant wait for the Minnesota game....
I'm sure Minnesota can't wait either. I'm sure Hovan, Williams, and Udeze are salivating thinking about Vinny in the pocket. They recently claimed former Cowboys CB Derek Ross on waivers from New Orleans. Despite Ross, they still have a pretty good secondary, and I believe they claimed him because Brian Williams might miss the season opener against Dallas.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read