Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-24-2006   #1
whiskeyrbl

Default Salary Cap, Is this good or Bad?

under salary cap
Sun, 23 Apr 2006 16:12:41 -0700

The San Diego Union-Tribune reports the Houston Texans are $4.7 million under the salary cap, according to a source with NFL contractual data.

Don't quite understand how it works. So how does this look for us?
Old 04-24-2006   #2
texman8
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl
under salary cap
Sun, 23 Apr 2006 16:12:41 -0700

The San Diego Union-Tribune reports the Houston Texans are $4.7 million under the salary cap, according to a source with NFL contractual data.

Don't quite understand how it works. So how does this look for us?
Texans are in ok shape....should have room for rookie pool. At least we're not the Titans ( $472,000 under cap).....most likely ,they have to cut McNair. Still see releasing Wade after June 1.
texman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #3
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

That's barely enough, or even not enough room for the rookie pool, plus that's only the Top 51 salaries. They need room for 53 plus a few hundred thousand for a practice squad, plus a little margin for those who will inevitably end up on IR.

I would expect a few veteran cuts maybe not big names, but cutting Joppru and Ioane sould save ~$1.7 million. Todd Wade's number is bothersome but so is the fact that we have nothing at tackle at the moment. Wong is another number with a big red X on it.

Probably only 7 LBs make the final squad out of this list. Maybe only 6 because I expect them to draft a MLB. Only Wong and Greenwood have large caps hits though. The rest are pretty cheap and some are not even in the top 51.

Wong Kailee
Orr Shantee
Anderson Charlie
Evans Troy
Pierce Terry
COWART Sam
Rainer Wali
Polk DaShon
Chamberlin Frank
Moreno Zeke
Greenwood Morlon
Pettway Kenneth

Our kicker has a cap hit of $1.6 million. Is Kris Brown worth that? Maybe. But if Hayden Epstein can match him kick for kick, they could probably save a million there too.

Will they keep both Babin and Peek? I dunno...but one of those leaving is another possibility.

Will they promote Travis Johnson to starting tackle to play ahead of either Seth or Robaire? If they do, they can't afford a 4 million dollar backup DT.

Will they carry DDs salary for a year after they draft Bush? (I think so but you never know)

Just some quick thoughts as I bolt out the door.....

Last edited by aj.; 04-24-2006 at 07:04 AM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #4
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I know it's unlikely, but Joppru could still turn out to be something special. I'd hate to cut him when they can keep him for cheap for one more year. Of course, if he gets hurt in preseason again, he needs to have the door hit him on the way out.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #5
Fargin
Rookie

You need 4 mil or so for the rookie pool. About another mil at least for "operating expenses" in the regular season, this covers signing FA's during the season if needed for injuries, etc. You'll probably have to release some people to keep your cap in shape.
Fargin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #6
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargin
You need 4 mil or so for the rookie pool. About another mil at least for "operating expenses" in the regular season, this covers signing FA's during the season if needed for injuries, etc. You'll probably have to release some people to keep your cap in shape.
Depending upon the players we draft, I bet they already have some candidates on the "hit list".
Old 04-24-2006   #7
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

Hmm...So with the cuts that we will make are we in good shape?
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-24-2006   #8
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I could have sworn that I remember hearing about Casserly being a salary-cap expert when they named him GM. Lately, though, I'm starting to wonder about his expertness.
Old 04-24-2006   #9
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Ferens is the cap guy.

There will be some familiar names released before July. Welcome back to the NFL...

One thing to remember - I was only half awake this morning on that other post - is that the $4.7 number probably still includes Walker's full dead money hit of ~$7.3. On June 1, about $5.5 can be pushed to next year (if they elect to do so) which would open up a fair amount of breathing room for this year. Bottom line is that they are not in bad shape capwise but they still have Walker and Wade's ugly numbers to deal with for at least another year.

Last edited by aj.; 04-24-2006 at 11:57 AM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read