Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-24-2004   #1
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84
Thumbs down Walker Down with Injury

Quote:
Starting DE leaves practice, undergoes MRI on his groin
By CARLTON THOMPSON
Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

The Texans got a bit of a scare Monday when two-time Pro Bowl defensive end Gary Walker went down with a groin injury during the team portion of the indoor workout.

Walker had to be helped off the field by trainers, and he was examined on the field before leaving practice early. The 31-year-old defensive end underwent an MRI exam Monday evening, but the results were not immediately available.

"Gary had a little tightness in his groin, so they took him in to check it out," Texans coach Dom Capers said. "It was just out here in team. He turned and cut, and it tightened up on him."

Walker is coming off a frustrating 2003 season during which he injured his shoulder during the preseason and missed 12 regular-season games because of the shoulder injury and a severe case of turf toe.

Prior to last season, Walker had missed two games in seven seasons. If Walker can't play against Denver Friday, either Jerry Deloach or Corey Sears will start at left defensive end.

There's a chance nose tackle Seth Payne, who is recovering from knee surgery, will play against the Broncos.

If Payne doesn't start at Denver, Deloach will make his third consecutive start at nose tackle, making Sears the obvious choice at left defensive end if Walker can't play.
This is kinda scary...I'd hate to see one of the strong 3 go down...even when we are hoping Seth is ready to go on September 12th.
Article from the HoustonChronicle.com
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004   #2
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXAN84
This is kinda scary...I'd hate to see one of the strong 3 go down...even when we are hoping Seth is ready to go on September 12th.
Article from the HoustonChronicle.com
At least we are breaking in the rookies. This look is close to last year. There is no doubt that we draft more DL next year.
Old 08-24-2004   #3
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

31 years old - about the time for a 300 lb DL to start showing signs of breaking down, maybe?

But then there's the minor detail of the 11 million signing bonus and 6 year, 37 million deal he was signed to in March.

This may turn out to be minor (hopefully it is) but a lot of people thought they overpaid Wade. I thought they overpaid Walker.

Cha-ching
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004   #4
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.

This may turn out to be minor (hopefully it is) but a lot of people thought they overpaid Wade. I thought they overpaid Walker.

Cha-ching
I thought we overpaid for both of them. And if we hadn't traded our 2, 3, &
4 we could have picked up Randy Starks with the 3. He might come in handy
right about now.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004   #5
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

...and we wouldn't have Babin and we wouldn't be looking so good at OLB either.

Me no comprende hindsight. No one knows if Starks is going to amount to anything special either.

I'm glad as hell we got G-Funk but all my point is that they paid top dollar (with a lot of future risk) to keep a 31 year old who missed most of last season. There was no reason to believe he wouldn't be healthy this year but he's getting to that age where the big dudes start breaking down. They will need at least 2-3 high performance years out of Gary to get the value back out of that contract.
Old 08-24-2004   #6
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
...and we wouldn't have Babin and we wouldn't be looking so good at OLB either.

Me no comprende hindsight. No one knows if Starks is going to amount to anything special either.

I'm glad as hell we got G-Funk but all my point is that they paid top dollar (with a lot of future risk) to keep a 31 year old who missed most of last season. There was no reason to believe he wouldn't be healthy this year but he's getting to that age where the big dudes start breaking down. They will need at least 2-3 high performance years out of Gary to get the value back out of that contract.
Gary Walker's value is not just based on physical presence. He has leadership ability and experience. Not to mention he was pro-bowl player. I am sure he wants to healthy.
Old 08-24-2004   #7
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

We don't need this right now. Please God!!
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-24-2004   #8
aj.
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Gary Walker's value is not just based on physical presence. He has leadership ability and experience. Not to mention he was pro-bowl player. I am sure he wants to healthy.
I'm sure he wants to be healthy too, just like everyone wants him to be. You are also correct that he was a Pro Bowl player in 2002. This is 2004 and I'm talking about 2004, 2005, and 2006...

Being an experienced leader only goes so far when you can't get on the field. They don't pay guys top NFL salaries to stand on the sideline and clap and offer encouragement to younger players. They need 2 or 3 high quality years out of the guy (on the field -- 30 to 40 games worth) to get the value out of that contract.
Old 08-24-2004   #9
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
...They will need at least 2-3 high performance years out of Gary to get the value back out of that contract.
You're saying that in essence the Texans signed Walker to a 3 year, $18 million contract. If you think it's a bad deal, who else would you prefer the Texans had signed? They had to have a starting LDE, right?

Citing the $37 million 6 year deal doesn't make sense when you know that Gary will never see the $19 million in salary in the final 3 years of the contract. If not Walker, then who & how much?
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004   #10
aj.
Hall of Fame

Quote:
You're saying that in essence the Texans signed Walker to a 3 year, $18 million contract. If you think it's a bad deal, who else would you prefer the Texans had signed? They had to have a starting LDE, right?
I'm saying that if he can give us three years it WON'T be a bad deal. That way we'd only have to eat $5.5 million in dead money when he can't answer the bell in '07 when he's 34 years old and even more beat up. It's a mental cost-benefit analysis - nothing more complicated than that.

It's also not a "I wish we would have gone for this-guy or that-guy point" which I thought I had made clear earlier but I guess not.
Old 08-24-2004   #11
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Another groin injury? Does it seem like we are suffering too many of these injuries? I stated once before I'm beginning to wonder if our training program is some how the cause of some of these problems. Gary, by all accounts, is a very hard worker who pushes himself. Maybe we need to take a look at what we are doing in the weight room. Sometimes you can wind up tearing things down rather than building them up. Just a passing comment. Remember, Glenn who also is a hard worker suffered from the same problem last year and showed signs of it again this year. I'm really quite concerned about the numbers of our best players showing up with this problem. This might also be a sign of inadequate streching.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004   #12
BigDTexansFan
All Pro

would rather have Gary Walker on our sidelines then going to another team like Titans who need D-line and playing us
BigDTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004   #13
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23636 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Any news about G-Funk today? Is he going to be ok?
Old 08-24-2004   #14
aj.
Hall of Fame

This is the latest:

Posted on Tue, Aug. 24, 2004

Texans' Walker suffers strained groin

Associated Press

HOUSTON - Houston Texans defensive end Gary Walker will rest for a week to 10 days to allow his strained groin to heal, general manager Charley Casserly said Tuesday.

Walker, the Texans' two-time Pro Bowl lineman, tweaked the muscle during practice Monday and had to be helped off the field. The team was worried enough about the injury to call for an MRI examination, which revealed a mild strain.

"He should be ready for the opener," Casserly said.

Walker, in his 10th NFL season, earned his second Pro Bowl trip in the Texans' inaugural 2002 season. He never was healthy last season as he suffered a variety of ailments, most notably a dislocated right toe that eventually landed him on injured reserve.

Walker, an expansion draft selection off Jacksonville's roster, almost left the Texans in the offseason because of a massive salary cap drain his old contract would have placed on Houston this season. However, he signed a new six-year deal to stay put
Old 08-24-2004   #15
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
It's also not a "I wish we would have gone for this-guy or that-guy point" which I thought I had made clear earlier but I guess not.
It's not clear, because you stated that you thought the Texans overpaid for Walker. That pretty much implies that you felt:

a) the Texans should have signed another player at that price for the position.

b) the Texans should have looked at cheaper alternatives for that position.

c) the Texans should have kept Walker, they just did a lousy job of negotiating.

How many teams play the 34 now that could use a guy like Gary? Not to mention that Walker is a proven 43 DT, as well. If the Texans wanted Walker, I'm pretty sure they paid him what they needed to keep him.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004   #16
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23636 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

These groin injuries can be very tricky. I hope Gary Walker will be 100% come opening day but that thing can pop anytime anywhere. Remember how Roy Oswalt suffered? I'll keep my fingers crossed that Walker will be fine.
Old 08-24-2004   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I look around the league and older 2-gap lineman are not real uncommon. Ted Washington, Keith Traylor, Sam Adams and a host of others have played well deep into their careers. They rely on quick first steps, brute strength, leverage and hand-fighting. These traits do not diminish as say a linebackers speed or a running backs cutting abilities do as they age. I would even contend that 2-gap players are at their peak value late in their career since it is so hard for young linemen to come into this league and take on double teams. It really is a position that needs experience.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004   #18
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

I hope Walker is back for the season opener because if he's not...Ladanian will abuse that side of the line.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004   #19
Htown34s
Veteran

Whats sucks is that its a groin injury this early in the season. Those really never go away and chances are they'll get much worse.

At least our backups have more experience and we've added Robaire.
Old 08-24-2004   #20
Mistril48
All Pro

I have an additional comment on the topic of signing Gary Walker.

I think that one of most difficult positions to draft for is defensive line. There have been a lot of first round picks who just don't pan out (it's so prevalent, I don't think I need to list them all), which also creates a lot of dead, or underutilized cap money. Some may come around after a few years, but still, drafting D-lineman in the first round represents risk.

I think the Texans can still be considered to be a franchise that is building it's base. Signing young lineman like The Baire and re-signing Walker so they can use their highest picks for QB, WR and CB makes sense. It also provided the chance for immediate improvement over last year. I hope they can pick off another 4 year d-lineman next year to deepen the position.
Mistril48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read