Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-23-2006   #1
Eyeguy
Veteran

Default Texans need Running Back

I find it intresting that many say we don't need a RB. Most of the mock drafts I have seen that have us trading down, have us taking a RB in the later rounds. I think we only have DD and Morancy on the roster at RB after letting Wells and Hollings. I think Bush is not only the BPA he also fills a need.
Eyeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006   #2
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Yes, we need a running back, but why, especially in Kubiak's system, do we need to take one at the #1 spot?
Old 04-23-2006   #3
Eyeguy
Veteran

When you have a chance to get a player who can win a game for you everytime he touches the ball you do it. I don't think the type of offense dictates passing up this type of talent.
Old 04-23-2006   #4
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

But your point was about need, not BPA, right?
Old 04-23-2006   #5
Eyeguy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip
But your point was about need, not BPA, right?
My point is that we fill a need and get BPA when we draft R. Bush
Old 04-23-2006   #6
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Part of it is that the media is buying in way too much to this Mario Williams talk, and the other part is the BPA/need filler starts looking less attractive when his/his agent's actions spell "potential holdout".

Then there's the writers who are getting bored with the Reggie Bush at #1 stuff. They've been writing about that since last offseason.
Old 04-23-2006   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeguy
For what Denver does....... Addai, Moroney, and Williams are just as explosive as Reggie, if not more.
Old 04-23-2006   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
RB isn't a need pick....If you look at Denver and us, we both take a back nearly every single draft....this only means backs wear out faster than other players.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006   #9
bad
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 bad is on the Pro-Bowl ballotbad is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
For what Denver does....... Addai, Moroney, and Williams are just as explosive as Reggie, if not more.
Please.

No "system" is going to make a running back more "explosive" than Reggie Bush.

Explosiveness is created through a combination of genetics and physical training

Maybe you meant "effective", which is an easier opinion to swallow but is still speculation.

I could just as easily speculate that Denver's system would've been more explosive and/or effective if someone with the abilities of Bush had been carrying the ball instead of say, Mike Anderson.

But that's what we're doing here. Speculating. It's pretty much all we're left with until the Texans make their choices known.

Then we can speculate about their choices.

Vince Lombardi
bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006   #10
Eyeguy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
RB isn't a need pick....If you look at Denver and us, we both take a back nearly every single draft....this only means backs wear out faster than other players.
The Texans have Jason Anderson, Morancy, and DD on the roster. We need depth at RB. I'm not sold on Morancy being the main back up to DD. I put this position as a depth need. Most mock drafts that show us NOT taking Bush show us taking a RB in the 2nd or with one of the 3rd's. I saw one that had us taking L. White at # 33
Old 04-23-2006   #11
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 903 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

reggie bush isnt a running back. If you are arguing the running back is a need for us, you should be advocating a trade back for deangelo williams or maroney. Bush is a slash-player, meaning he doesnt really have a position. He's sort of a wide reciever, sometimes a half back, sometimes a special teamer. by no measure is he even close to the best running back available. You can argue best player, but not best running back....If he was the best running back, they would line him up there all the time. Do you see LT or barry sanders splitting out wide?

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006   #12
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Quote:
The Texans have Jason Anderson, Morancy, and DD on the roster. We need depth at RB. I'm not sold on Morancy being the main back up to DD. I put this position as a depth need. Most mock drafts that show us NOT taking Bush show us taking a RB in the 2nd or with one of the 3rd's. I saw one that had us taking L. White at # 33
You don't use the 1st overall pick to address "depth".
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad
Please.

No "system" is going to make a running back more "explosive" than Reggie Bush.

Explosiveness is created through a combination of genetics and physical training

Maybe you meant "effective", which is an easier opinion to swallow but is still speculation.

I could just as easily speculate that Denver's system would've been more explosive and/or effective if someone with the abilities of Bush had been carrying the ball instead of say, Mike Anderson.

But that's what we're doing here. Speculating. It's pretty much all we're left with until the Texans make their choices known.

Then we can speculate about their choices.

Puh-Lease..... if Reggie were a pure runner, he wouldn't be in the top ten of this draft..... he'd be down around Williams, Moroney, and Addai.........

In Denver's system, he would be about as explosive as these pure runners..
Old 04-23-2006   #14
Caesar
Veteran

Quote:
When you have a chance to get a player who can win a game for you everytime he touches the ball you do it.
And yet we're not taking Vince Young.
Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006   #15
bad
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 bad is on the Pro-Bowl ballotbad is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
Puh-Lease..... if Reggie were a pure runner, he wouldn't be in the top ten of this draft.....
Again, speculation.

As it turns out, Bush will likely be in the top one of this draft. But that's just speculation by myself and 99% of NFL Draft Experts.

Vince Lombardi
bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006   #16
Eyeguy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar
And yet we're not taking Vince Young.
R. McNeil is a better QB than V. Young
Old 04-23-2006   #17
Eyeguy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
You don't use the 1st overall pick to address "depth".
R. Bush is the BPA in draft and fill a need for the team

Last edited by Eyeguy; 04-23-2006 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-23-2006   #18
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07
reggie bush isnt a running back. If you are arguing the running back is a need for us, you should be advocating a trade back for deangelo williams or maroney. Bush is a slash-player, meaning he doesnt really have a position. He's sort of a wide reciever, sometimes a half back, sometimes a special teamer. by no measure is he even close to the best running back available. You can argue best player, but not best running back....If he was the best running back, they would line him up there all the time. Do you see LT or barry sanders splitting out wide?
please. he didn't run all the time because they're not stupid. bush can be used in many ways, and they had lendale white. they lost one game during his sophomore and junior seasons....so looks like the idea worked eh?
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006   #19
NederlandTexan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07
He's not a running back....not even the best back...Point me in the direction of a national mock draft that doesn't rate him BPA and best running back.
NederlandTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006   #20
Texans86
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NederlandTexan
He's not a running back....not even the best back...Point me in the direction of a national mock draft that doesn't rate him BPA and best running back.
I think the idea is that yes, he is may be BPA, but that doesn't equate to best running back. He is a situational back, not a pure runner that will be hitting between the tackles 20 times a game.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read