Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-22-2006   #1
1-3
Veteran

Default "Jets aggressively seeking deal" ESPN.com

From ESPN.com I'd say we do this in a heartbeat. Having picks 29,33, 35 and two thirds would not suck.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft...odd&id=2415679 Todd Mcshay (whoever the hell that is)

"The only thing standing in the way of Bush heading to Houston is a potential trade between the Texans and Jets. Multiple sources have told me the Jets are aggressively seeking a deal that would catapult them to the top of the draft board to bring Bush to New York. Referring back to the Trade Value Chart, such a deal for the first overall pick (worth 3,000 points) would cost Jets something similar to the following:

• Pick No. 4 (1,800)
• Pick No. 29 (640)
• Pick No. 35 (550)
• Pick No. 103 (88)

As it stands right now, the Jets own seven of the draft's first 117 selections, giving them the ammunition to make this kind of blockbuster move. If they made the deal with the Texans for Bush, the Jets would be left with three of those picks (71, 97, 117) in the first four rounds.

Last edited by 1-3; 04-22-2006 at 05:41 PM.
1-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006   #2
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

Got a Link? I don't see it over there. Also, who is this info coming from? If it isn't Kiper or Mortensen, I'm not buying it.
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006   #3
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

As I've said before, the only way the Texans trade Bush away would be on draft day, they pick Bush at #1 and if Mario falls to the Jets at #4 (which I don't think will happen), they take Mario, then give us Mario and another pick or two for Bush. The Texans are not going to blindly trade down without some assurance of who will be available at their new top pick, unless the Jets give us a deal like the #4, #29, #35, and next year's 1st round pick (3 1sts and a 2nd), but I don't see that happening either.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006   #4
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

McShay is bored.
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006   #5
Trenches
Veteran

looks great to me.

do it and take D'Brick. fix the OL which has been the worst part of this team since day 1. D'Brick is the safest pick we can make. we need more players on this team and the more picks we get the more of Kubiaks players we get in here.
Trenches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006   #6
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

very dumb move for the jets. they want a quarterback.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006   #7
MikeMc
All Pro

It continues with the following:

Quote:
As it stands right now, the Jets own seven of the draft's first 117 selections, giving them the ammunition to make this kind of blockbuster move. If they made the deal with the Texans for Bush, the Jets would be left with three of those picks (71, 97, 117) in the first four rounds.

While Bush is unquestionably the best prospect in this year's draft, it would still be understandable if the Texans opted to make such a deal. General manager Charlie Casserly must assess Bush's value as compared to those four picks, which could land his team a quartet of prospects similar to the following:

• Pick No. 4: Virginia OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson
• Pick No. 29: Ohio State DC Ashton Youboty
• Pick No. 35: Penn State DE Tamba Hali
• Pick No. 103: Virginia Tech OLB James Anderson

When considering the Texans' glaring needs along the offensive line and on defense, it would be difficult to chose Bush over those four prospects -- especially with RB Dominic Davis already in house.

Regardless, Bush will be the first prospect called to the podium next Saturday.
That would give the Texans this draft day scenario:

1st Rd: #4 & #29
2nd Rd: #33 & #35
3rd Rd: #65 & #66
4th Rd: # 98 & #103
5th Rd: (to Buffalo for Moulds)
6th Rd: #170
7th Rd: #251

Two picks in each of the first four rounds.....and high round picks at that!

McShay is the new draft guru for ESPN. So he has some cred. They did sign Patrick Ramsey, so they have some insurance if Pennington does not make it back. They need a RB..Martin is on his last leg, Blaylock was a FA bust.....so they need a top RB. Makes sense for them....they have a solid team and plenty of draft picks to build upon a team that needs several players.

I would do it in a heartbeat! The top four picks will be Bush, Leinart, D'Brick and Williams. TEN will get a QB, so either of the three would fall to the Texans @ #4...a toss up between Williams and D'Brick. Not bad plus the extra picks!

Last edited by MikeMc; 04-22-2006 at 07:10 PM.
MikeMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-22-2006   #8
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Jets will not give up that many picks. If the deal does happen it will be for much less and hence the Texans shouldn't do it. If somehow the Jets do give up all those picks then the Texans should consider it seriously, but I'd still take Bush with the no.1 pick.
Old 04-22-2006   #9
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
As I've said before, the only way the Texans trade Bush away would be on draft day, they pick Bush at #1 and if Mario falls to the Jets at #4 (which I don't think will happen), they take Mario, then give us Mario and another pick or two for Bush. The Texans are not going to blindly trade down without some assurance of who will be available at their new top pick, unless the Jets give us a deal like the #4, #29, #35, and next year's 1st round pick (3 1sts and a 2nd), but I don't see that happening either.
How does this work in conjunction to agreeing to a deal with Bush (or Williams for that matter) before the draft? From what I've read McNair wants to have the #1 pick signed before the draft. Can we trade Bush on draft day if we already have him signed?
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006   #10
Texans86
All Pro

I keep saying, if those four are offered, take them and run away. That's an amazing offer, and eight picks in the first four rounds is crazy. Besides we have the potential to trade away some of those picks (since they are high in each round) or we can package some together and move up at different times. The Jets fans will kick themselves in the future if we got offered that.
Old 04-22-2006   #11
yako0o
Rookie

Old Article, and it contradicts every other peice of information that ESPN, or any other news services have put out.

Its not happening, Mckshay was just bored.

On the radio last night they said that when Casserly called the Jets --The Jets said "Not interested" more then once, and then when asked what they would give up offered some ridiculously low value---Almost insultingly low.

The texans are drafting Reggie, and I believe the action will start at 2 in this draft.
yako0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006   #12
MikeMc
All Pro

The Jets fans are all about immediate gratification. You know if this happens and they draft Reggie Bush, the Jets fans will either cry out "Blair Thomas" or they will be saying that Reggie/D'Brick/Young/Leinart will be the greatest player of all time!
Old 04-22-2006   #13
Nighthawk
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-3
From ESPN.com I'd say we do this in a heartbeat. Having picks 29,33, 35 and two thirds would not suck.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft...odd&id=2415679 Todd Mcshay (whoever the hell that is)

"The only thing standing in the way of Bush heading to Houston is a potential trade between the Texans and Jets. Multiple sources have told me the Jets are aggressively seeking a deal that would catapult them to the top of the draft board to bring Bush to New York. Referring back to the Trade Value Chart, such a deal for the first overall pick (worth 3,000 points) would cost Jets something similar to the following:

• Pick No. 4 (1,800)
• Pick No. 29 (640)
• Pick No. 35 (550)
• Pick No. 103 (88)

This can't be true else it's be done already. Even our front office is not dull-witted enough to pass up these 4 picks!
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006   #14
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor Stan
How does this work in conjunction to agreeing to a deal with Bush (or Williams for that matter) before the draft? From what I've read McNair wants to have the #1 pick signed before the draft. Can we trade Bush on draft day if we already have him signed?
No, if we have signed someone to a contract then they are obviously our pick, otherwise to draft him and trade him we take whatever cap hit for the bonus that we signed into his deal.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006   #15
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

If the Jets take Lienart..and the Saints then take Bush.. and the Titans take Young.. we would get Williams and a boatload of first day picks .

awesome deal.

If the Jets take Bush, the Saints take Williams, and the Titans take Young.. then the deal kinda sucks cause there are only two players really available at that spot worth taking..Brick, and (imo) Vernon Davis.. niether of which are REALLY worth a pick that high.

risky business, trading down to #4.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006   #16
LoneStarState
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
That's why it probably won't happen...
Old 04-22-2006   #17
tiger06
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarState
That's why it probably won't happen...
I agree, and like MorKnolle said, I'm sure we'd want a guarantee of our guy being available at #4 if we were to trade down.
tiger06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006   #18
Zac
Rookie

Wow,

This is a great position to be in!!! But getting it right is probably driving the Texans front office nuts :brickwall

OPTION #1 - is for the offense
#1 of 1st round = Bush
#1 of 2nd round
#1 of 3rd round
#2 of 3rd round
#1 of 4th round
#1 of 6th round
(6 players =1 super star, 2 solid contributors - likely starters, 2 rotation - depth, 1 project)

or

Option #2 - is for the defense
#4 of 1st round = Williams (immediate starter - and anchor of defense)
#29 of 1st round (extra pick per trade)
#1 of 2nd round
#4 of 2nd round (extra pick per trade)
#1 of 3rd round
#2 of 3rd round
#1 of 4th round
#7 of 4th round (extra pick per trade)
#1 of 6th round
(9 players =1 super star, 4 solid contributors - likely starters, 3 rotation - depth, 1 project)

Wow, the defense has been largley ignored. Option 2 will allow a lot of attention to be devoted to the defense. Mario Williams can be that Defensive End that will give some credebility to the defense - applying pressure is IMPORTANT!!! Then you can address the corner back position, free saftey, Linebacker depth; all Need positions. And you can still get some help for the offensive line and maybe some depth at the offensive skill positions.

Or you stay as you are and get Bush, an offensive tackle, and address the free saftey, some linebacker depth.

As a fan, it's a good position to be in!!!
Zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006   #19
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

#4: Mario Williams (DE)
#29: Jonathen Joseph (CB)
#33: Eric Winston (OT)
#35: Joseph Addai (RB)
#65: Gerris Wilkinson (ILB)
#66: Daryn Colledge (OT) or Greg Eslinger (C)

Awesome first day.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006   #20
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
If the Jets take Lienart..and the Saints then take Bush.. and the Titans take Young.. we would get Williams and a boatload of first day picks .

awesome deal.

If the Jets take Bush, the Saints take Williams, and the Titans take Young.. then the deal kinda sucks cause there are only two players really available at that spot worth taking..Brick, and (imo) Vernon Davis.. niether of which are REALLY worth a pick that high.

D'Brick isn't worth a #4? Some people want him at #1, not that I do. I'd love to have him at #4 though, although I'd take Williams if he was available. At one time, people were saying that Bush could go as low as #4.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read