Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-02-2004   #1
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected
Angry ESPN Power Rankings

They have us at #14, up one spot. The Jags are still ahead of us at #9.

LINK
Old 11-02-2004   #2
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

The remedy for that is to beat Denver and then Indy. Two teams we've beaten are ranked ahead of us so obviously (at least in terms of the ESPN Power Rankings) we have more to prove. I can accept that.
Old 11-02-2004   #3
SBTexans08
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to SBTexans08

It's alright.....they have 1/2 a win more than us. Savoring this win is good enough for now!!
Old 11-02-2004   #4
shinerbock_girl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 shinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVP
Send a message via MSN to shinerbock_girl Send a message via Yahoo to shinerbock_girl

You know that really sucks. When they beat the colts who were in first place they jumped up immediately. As usual, the Texans never gets much credit because they still don't think we're for real. Maybe after the broncos game we might start getting some recognization.
shinerbock_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004   #5
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

I would like us to stay lower so that we surprise more people. The players know these power rankings are pointless anyway.
Old 11-02-2004   #6
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

There are 2 sets of rankings that count in the NFL. Playoff seeding & draft order. That's it.

Now if you still care about a ranking "system" that 5 ESPN writers came up with in the lunch room, think back about 6 weeks ago when they ranked the Texans at #30. I bet you're pretty happy with that #14 spot in comparison.
Old 11-02-2004   #7
gwallaia

Rep Power: 66021 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Rankings, Schmankings. At least the BCS is not in the NFL screwing things up.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-02-2004   #8
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

They don't consider us for real. They consider us "pushing".

Hit me! Ah push it! push it real good!
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004   #9
jnhcarrfans
Rookie

I don't Espn Likes us to much. they didn't show alot of our highlights on NFL Primetime. We win our biggest game of year and they still don't give us credit so screw em.Carr-Johnson-Defence=Playoffs. Add a running back and look out.
jnhcarrfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004   #10
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

According to the CBS Sportsline Power Rankings we are #12...the Jags are #8 though...

Quote:
Was beating Jacksonville the biggest victory in Texans' history? You bet. They are over .500 for the first time ever this late in the season
D-ReK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004   #11
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

the biggest victory in Texans history to me was the Cowboys game. Until we get to the playoffs, or a game that decides the playoff's then we aren't going to have an 'biggest victory' game, IMHO.

As for the rankings, who cares what a bunch of sports analysts, that are batting about as good as weathermen when it comes to predictions, thinks?

Hope we stay in the 'experts' middle to low rankings. Nothing like flying under the radar and surprising a few teams when we take them down.
thegr8fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004   #12
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

It's true, the Power Rankings (ESPN's or for that matter anyone elses) mean nothing. It's just a Teusday thing for me. This time of year I live for Texans news and comments so my own schedule goes something like this...

Sunday: Texans play football, all is good with the world. When they win I'm happy the rest of the day, when they lose I'm grumpy the rest of the day.

Monday: I get to read about the Texans in the Chronicle. It's the only day I go out and buy a newspaper. The rest of the week I read what's online. MNF is of interest to me slightly unless it's a game featuring an AFC South team or someone we're about to play the next week.

Teusday: Power Rankings come out. They don't mean anything but it's Teusday so there's just not much going on.

Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday: I look around and try to find something about the Texans in all the usual places. By Friday it seems like there's nothing new to read and I'm getting pretty desperate for Texans football again.

Saturday: The longest day of the week because tomorrow is football day.

Then it's back to Sunday and we start it all over again. Bye weeks are hell though.
Old 11-02-2004   #13
jnhcarrfans
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
It's true, the Power Rankings (ESPN's or for that matter anyone elses) mean nothing. It's just a Teusday thing for me. This time of year I live for Texans news and comments so my own schedule goes something like this...

Sunday: Texans play football, all is good with the world. When they win I'm happy the rest of the day, when they lose I'm grumpy the rest of the day.

Monday: I get to read about the Texans in the Chronicle. It's the only day I go out and buy a newspaper. The rest of the week I read what's online. MNF is of interest to me slightly unless it's a game featuring an AFC South team or someone we're about to play the next week.

Teusday: Power Rankings come out. They don't mean anything but it's Teusday so there's just not much going on.

Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday: I look around and try to find something about the Texans in all the usual places. By Friday it seems like there's nothing new to read and I'm getting pretty desperate for Texans football again.

Then it's back to Sunday and we start it all over again. Bye weeks are hell though.
live for football. right on man
jnhcarrfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004   #14
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Look beating one "top 10" team will not elevate us in the elite teams catagory. I know it was a big win all but we have to prove to the league that we can do it consistently. We have to go out there and beat Denver, then beat Indy. If we go out there and flop this week in Denver then the win against the Jags will not mean anything, we'll be back at .500. I for one don't mind the media "disrespecting" us, it should provide for more motivation for us. We are still the underdog and we have to fight it out every game.
Old 11-02-2004   #15
swisher
Old School

Rep Power: 669 swisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respected

Of coarse they are meaningless....but it's something fun to look forward to during the week.

I thought we would crack the top 10. We'll see where Dr. Z has us tomorrow. He usually has wild wacky swings in his poll.
swisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004   #16
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Its about where I thought it would be, because I eluded to the fact that ESPN basically uses the record of the ball club to rank the team. There were ten teams ahead of us record wise and we were in a group of 5 or 6 others. So it makes sense where they ranked us. Very seldom does a team get ranked ahead of their record. We will have two win two or three more games to separate us from the pack. That's just the way it is. They don't seem to put much stock in how hot a team is or who they are beating.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004   #17
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Ive seen the Chiefs with a crappy record being put ahead of their record because of how well they are playing. So its not always the record.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004   #18
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

For the most part it is though and we don't have the respect that would change that. I think we are better than we are ranked, but it won't show unless we continue to win. Then they will have no choice, but to rank us higher. I think even if we win the SB they will still say someone is ranked higher than we are. It would be classed as just one of those fluky wins.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004   #19
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel

have you been spying on me?
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004   #20
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it's pretty fair. We started out 0-2 and have to pay a price for that. That price is only being 1 game over .500 after this great 4-of-5 stretch. We're moving up, and will move up again with a road win this weekend.

What should NOT happen is a huge drop-off if we lose in Denver. They should be the heavy favorites in this game, playing at home after dropping 2 straight and being a media darling this season.
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read