Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-21-2006   #1
Caddo1361
Rookie

Default Just wanted to get some opinions on this...(Is Casserly out the door?)

This is what I read on Insider a minute ago....

Quote:
Houston Texans

Charley Casserly: Senior vice president and general manager, football operations
Gary Kubiak: Head coach
Dan Reeves: Consultant
The Texans' front office is obviously in a state of flux. Recent behind-the-scenes reports have surfaced that senior vice president and general manager of football operations Charley Casserly may be on his way out the door after the draft. With that in mind, it remains to be seen how much say he will have on draft day. What is interesting is the emergence of consultant Dan Reeves and how his role has conflicted with Casserly's. Reeves is trusted by owner Bob McNair and has the ear of Houston's ownership.

Although it was perceived that new head coach Gary Kubiak had the full backing of Casserly, that is not the case. Kubiak was actually a McNair and Reeves favorite, fueling speculation that Reeves will take over as the full-time GM after the draft. The Texans have a veteran scouting staff, but because they all have ties to Casserly, they will likely just be reduced to information gatherers. Kubiak, along with Reeves, will play the biggest role in trying to build this franchise up.
Thoughts anyone...
Caddo1361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006   #2
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

What's the date on your quote? I keep hearing Dan Reeves is gone now. He'll be doing analysis for the NFL Network at the draft.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006   #3
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I just hope Casserly doesn't give us a good bye screw.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006   #4
Caddo1361
Rookie

At the top of the article it says:

Quote:
Quote:
Updated: April 18, 2006
Who's calling the shots?
Maybe they are late on their information but that is the date at the top...
Old 04-21-2006   #5
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Weird. I think it'd probably be a conflict of interest for him to be working the draft if he's under contract with the Texans.

link

Quote:
The coverage will boast an array of NFL experts including former head coaches Dan Reeves and Butch Davis, current players Corey Chavous and Muhsin Muhammad as well as NFL Network draft guru Mike Mayock.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006   #6
Sportsfan
All Pro

Hasn't McNair emphatically stated that 'Reeves will not be the Texans GM' in every interview where he's been asked that ?
Sportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006   #7
jmerog
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
I just hope Casserly doesn't give us a good bye screw.
I seriously doubt Kubiak or Mcnair would let Casserly make any picks on his own. Especially given the fact He's likely out the door after the draft. He'll get the people they tell him to get.
Old 04-21-2006   #8
jmerog
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan
Hasn't McNair emphatically stated that 'Reeves will not be the Texans GM' in every interview where he's been asked that ?
yes, I dont have a quote but i remember reading the same thing.
Old 04-21-2006   #9
jmerog
Veteran

Reguardless of whatever else happens, i am pleased with the way mcnair has done the things nesesary to get the people in place to give the texans the best chance to succeed. I'm liking the shakups.I am impressed with Kubiak so far, he's being very proactive.
Old 04-21-2006   #10
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan
I can't recall where I read it, but I thought Reeves was back in Atlanta and was no longer under contract with the Texans as a consultant. That's not to say he will not come back in some capacity.
Old 04-21-2006   #11
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmerog
I seriously doubt Kubiak or Mcnair would let Casserly make any picks on his own. Especially given the fact He's likely out the door after the draft. He'll get the people they tell him to get.
I believe from the very beginning of the franchise, that all the draft picks and free agents have been done by committee. Casserly wasn't that strong in making picks by himself and not over-ruling some of the players that the previous coaching staff wanted. If Casserly was that kind of GM who ruled with an iron fist and the buck stopped with him, Kubiak never would have even interviewed for the job. Shanahan had always warned Kubes about not going to an organization that he would not have some kind of control over personnel as a coach.

Cass very well could have the perfect exit after the draft is over, and go back to the league office. I don't see him staying on, unless he's content with working through the last year of his contract doing whatever McNair and Kubiak tell him to do.
Old 04-21-2006   #12
jmerog
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Texans
I believe from the very beginning of the franchise, that all the draft picks and free agents have been done by committee. Casserly wasn't that strong in making picks by himself and not over-ruling some of the players that the previous coaching staff wanted. If Casserly was that kind of GM who ruled with an iron fist and the buck stopped with him, Kubiak never would have even interviewed for the job. Shanahan had always warned Kubes about not going to an organization that he would not have some kind of control over personnel as a coach.

Cass very well could have the perfect exit after the draft is over, and go back to the league office. I don't see him staying on, unless he's content with working through the last year of his contract doing whatever McNair and Kubiak tell him to do.
Agreed.
Old 04-21-2006   #13
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

One thing I saw today peaked my interest.
Evidently Floyd Reese is in the last year of his contract as GM of the Titans. I know that they have been in cap hell recently, but he's still a pretty good GM IMO.
I wonder if we could temporarily promote an assistant and take a shot at Reese after his contract is up. At least he is familiar with the area. Plus, he knows that his ownership is 100% a@@clown and ours is pretty good.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006   #14
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 378037 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

IIRC, Reeves hasn't been a consultant for the Texans in months. I suppose this doesn't mean that he should be ruled out as a potential GM...except for his denial that he has no desire to be a GM for any team at this point in his career.

The part I find really interesting is "Although it was perceived that new head coach Gary Kubiak had the full backing of Casserly, that is not the case."

That seems like writing on the wall, IMO. Although it would seem strange to me to keep Casserly through the draft, as opposed to just cleaning house back in January and installing a new FO from the top on down.
Old 04-21-2006   #15
Caddo1361
Rookie

I too thought that Kubiak not having the full support of Casserly was saying that Casserly is on his way out.

No real complaints on that taking place....
Old 04-21-2006   #16
Jwwillis
All Pro

gone after the draft
Jwwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #17
rafterticket
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwwillis
gone after the draft
...and I will help him pack his bags.
Old 04-24-2006   #18
Texizgreat
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Texizgreat Send a message via Yahoo to Texizgreat

Texans | Casserly reportedly to re-sign; NFL position not a lock
Mon, 24 Apr 2006 17:13:35 -0700

According to FOXSports.com's John Czarnecki, Charley Casserly reportedly will resign as general manager of the Houston Texans, after the NFL Draft. However, an influential league source said Monday, April 24, there is no guarantee that Casserly will be offered the job as the NFL's director of football operations.

that should sum it up
Texizgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #19
dhaNim
Rookie

Default Casserly to re-sign?

per kffl:

Quote:
Texans | Casserly reportedly to re-sign; NFL position not a lock
Mon, 24 Apr 2006 17:13:35 -0700

According to FOXSports.com's John Czarnecki, Charley Casserly reportedly will resign as general manager of the Houston Texans, after the NFL Draft. However, an influential league source said Monday, April 24, there is no guarantee that Casserly will be offered the job as the NFL's director of football operations.
dhaNim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #20
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 378037 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

If/when we lose Casserly, I hope they look at Scott Pioli, the VP of player personnel with the Patriots during their Superbowl championships. He's probably going to be a GM soon for an NFL team, and dude has an eye for talent.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read