Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-21-2006   #1
pittbull
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to pittbull
Default Forget about it! (possible draft trade with Jets)

No Bush for us. This makes total sense. If you look at NYC, they are in competition with the Giants City prestige! The Jets would love to make this deal and make Reggie the face of their franchise. Chad Pennington will not be around to much longer and they will need someone to keep pace with Manning and the Giants! Read the story!

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft...odd&id=2415679
Old 04-21-2006   #2
Texans86
All Pro

Insider story, not everyone can read. You can give specific quotes, but don't copy and paste the whole story. Something about copyright infringment.
Old 04-21-2006   #3
jmerog
Veteran

the link you posted is not to an article about the jets,bush,or the giants. You might want to double check that.

i look foreward to reading the article you were taking about though
Old 04-21-2006   #4
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

one of the worst things i've ever read. todd mcshay is consistently a laughingstock. the stuff on al davis is hysterical.

anyway, here's the bush/jets thing:

The only thing standing in the way of Bush heading to Houston is a potential trade between the Texans and Jets. Multiple sources have told me the Jets are aggressively seeking a deal that would catapult them to the top of the draft board to bring Bush to New York. Referring back to the Trade Value Chart, such a deal for the first overall pick (worth 3,000 points) would cost Jets something similar to the following:

• Pick No. 4 (1,800)
• Pick No. 29 (640)
• Pick No. 35 (550)
• Pick No. 103 (88)

As it stands right now, the Jets own seven of the draft's first 117 selections, giving them the ammunition to make this kind of blockbuster move. If they made the deal with the Texans for Bush, the Jets would be left with three of those picks (71, 97, 117) in the first four rounds.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006   #5
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's an excerpt of the article linked above that concerns a possible Texans/Jets draft deal:

Quote:
The Texans' interest in Williams is sincere, but only if they strike a deal to trade down. All the other talk can be chalked up to predraft smoke screens. This type of nonsense takes place annually. Just as the 49ers used WR Braylon Edwards (Browns) and DC Antrel Rolle (Cardinals) to get a better deal for QB Alex Smith, the Texans are using Williams to establish more leverage before sitting down with Segal to hash out a predraft deal with Bush.

General manager Charlie Casserly must assess Bush's value as compared to those four picks, which could land his team a quartet of prospects similar to the following:

• Pick No. 4: Virginia OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson
• Pick No. 29: Ohio State DC Ashton Youboty
• Pick No. 35: Penn State DE Tamba Hali
• Pick No. 103: Virginia Tech OLB James Anderson
First, how did the Niners "use" Braylon Edwards and Antrel Rolle? Alex Smith got $24 million in guaranteed money. If anyone was used, it was the Niners.

Second, the same article hints at a Saints/Raiders deal, where Oakland moves to #2 and selects Vince Young. If both the HOU/NYJ & NO/OAK deals go through, wouldn't the top 3 picks go like this:

1) Jets - Bush
2) Raiders - Young
3) Titans - Leinart or Cutler
4) Texans - ???

McShay has the Texans going with Ferguson. But wouldn't it be more likely that the Texans draft Mario Williams?
Old 04-21-2006   #6
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna
one of the worst things i've ever read. todd mcshay is consistently a laughingstock. the stuff on al davis is hysterical.

The only thing standing in the way of Bush heading to Houston is a potential trade between the Texans and Jets. Multiple sources have told me the Jets are aggressively seeking a deal that would catapult them to the top of the draft board to bring Bush to New York. Referring back to the Trade Value Chart, such a deal for the first overall pick (worth 3,000 points) would cost Jets something similar to the following:

• Pick No. 4 (1,800)
• Pick No. 29 (640)
• Pick No. 35 (550)
• Pick No. 103 (88)

As it stands right now, the Jets own seven of the draft's first 117 selections, giving them the ammunition to make this kind of blockbuster move. If they made the deal with the Texans for Bush, the Jets would be left with three of those picks (71, 97, 117) in the first four rounds.
I think they will have to give up pick #71 (235) to us instead of 103 to move. If Bush is as special as most think he is then his value is above the chart. The chart is only a guide. Total value 3225.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006   #7
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
McShay has the Texans going with Ferguson. But wouldn't it be more likely that the Texans draft Mario Williams?
I think that McShay is just as bored as we are & simply looking for something to write about, but thats just me...
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-21-2006   #8
dhaNim
Rookie

i think the trade should only go through if we get #4, #29, #35 and their 1st round pick next year. yes i know that is ripping them off big time, but if they want reggie that bad, then they are going to have to sacrifice that. otherwise, reggie can be ours.

im not passing on reggie unless im ripping some team off. im not gonna go by the chart and make some "fair" trade.
dhaNim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006   #9
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaNim
i think the trade should only go through if we get #4, #29, #35 and their 1st round pick next year. yes i know that is ripping them off big time, but if they want reggie that bad, then they are going to have to sacrifice that. otherwise, reggie can be ours.

im not passing on reggie unless im ripping some team off. im not gonna go by the chart and make some "fair" trade.
That is how I feel about it. I dont want to trade just because "it was the best offer we could get."
Old 04-21-2006   #10
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

With this draft, the chart goes out the window. If the Jets want Bush we should get at a minimum both firsts, this years second, and next years first.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006   #11
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
With this draft, the chart goes out the window. If the Jets want Bush we should get at a minimum both firsts, this years second, and next years first.
Old 04-21-2006   #12
66cobra
Veteran

I would do it if the Jets packaged all 4 of those picks. I like Reggie alot but that is close to a Ditka deal since we have the 1st pick of the second round and the top 2 of the 3rd round, giving us a total of 8 picks in the first 4 rounds. I could go for:
#4 Mario Williams, D'Brick or AJ Hawk
#29 Eric Winston (OT) or Johnathan Joseph (CB)
#33 Bobby Carpenter (LB) or Nick Mangold (backup/future starter @ interior lineman)
#35 Sinorice Moss (WR) or Cedric Griffin (CB)
#65 Jeremy Trueblood (OT)
#66 Joel Klopfenstein (TE) or Omar Jacobs/Kellen Clemens (QB)
#98 BPA
#103 BPA
I might be off but this was off of the top of my head as far as picks go. Have at it....
66cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006   #13
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Like someone said I would ask for a whole lot for any team to get the no.1 spot. If it were any other year we couldn't get away with it, but this year is an exception because of Reggie Bush. He's a once in a lifetime type of player and if someone wants him they'd have to give up pretty much all of their top picks for this year and maybe one or two from next year. I doubt the Jets will do something like that for one player, but if they want to then feel free to call the Texans front office.
Old 04-21-2006   #14
JAXwithanX
Veteran

If something like this trade did go down....it would be hard to say that there wouldn't be just as much excitement created....and tickets sold with that potential group of players coming in. In other words....McNair would be sold.
JAXwithanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006   #15
dhaNim
Rookie

you know this is all smoke screens and depends on what side of the fence you are sitting on. here is an example of a contradicting report per ESPN...

Quote:
Jets standing pat?
Despite talk about the Jets possibly trying to move up from their current No. 4 slot in the first round, the team doesn't appear to have any such designs, no matter what transpires ahead of them, ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports.
The team's new football operation, headed by general manager Mike Tannenbaum and coach Eric Mangini, has determined the price of doing business to move up even a slot or two is simply prohibitive. Plus the Jets feel that, no matter how the first three choices play out, they will get an excellent pick at No. 4.
Furthermore, don't bet on that choice being a quarterback, no matter which of the "Big Three" passers is still on the board. The Jets' brass has done an extensive study of quarterbacks taken in the top five and found the failure rate to be fairly alarming. Some player like D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Mario Williams, Vernon Davis or A.J. Hawk is going to fall into New York's lap.
dhaNim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006   #16
JAXwithanX
Veteran

well...think of it this way. there are many conflicting reports....but we might as well talk about all of them....cause odds are....one of them is true....or at least a lot closer than the others.
JAXwithanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006   #17
DominickDavisFan76
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna

• Pick No. 4 (1,800)
• Pick No. 29 (640)
• Pick No. 35 (550)
• Pick No. 103 (88)

But as far as I knew they wanted to keep their picks because they have more holes to fill then just running back, but hey it doesnt matter to me....More picks for the Texans alright, take dbrick.
DominickDavisFan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006   #18
DominickDavisFan76
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66cobra
I would do it if the Jets packaged all 4 of those picks. I like Reggie alot but that is close to a Ditka deal since we have the 1st pick of the second round and the top 2 of the 3rd round, giving us a total of 8 picks in the first 4 rounds. I could go for:
#4 Mario Williams, D'Brick or AJ Hawk
#29 Eric Winston (OT) or Johnathan Joseph (CB)
#33 Bobby Carpenter (LB) or Nick Mangold (backup/future starter @ interior lineman)
#35 Sinorice Moss (WR) or Cedric Griffin (CB)
#65 Jeremy Trueblood (OT)
#66 Joel Klopfenstein (TE) or Omar Jacobs/Kellen Clemens (QB)
#98 BPA
#103 BPA
I might be off but this was off of the top of my head as far as picks go. Have at it....

If this trade goes down I say we take Omar Jacobs at #66 o yea go Bowling Green.
DominickDavisFan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006   #19
Harrisment
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaNim
you know this is all smoke screens and depends on what side of the fence you are sitting on. here is an example of a contradicting report per ESPN...
link?
Harrisment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006   #20
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky

1) Jets - Bush
2) Raiders - Young
3) Titans - Leinart or Cutler
4) Texans - ???

Well I tend to think that Jeff Fisher will go for Williams if he is there. He has said Williams is the most athletic specimen he has ever seen. That is saying alot considering he coached Jevone Kearse. Williams reminds me alot of him.

If we draft him I will call him Mario the Monstrosity
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read