Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-21-2006   #1
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Let's suppose all the Mario Williams talk

isn't smokescreen or a bargaining chip against Reggie Bush. Could the Texans be targetting another Trojan back, LenDale White? Do you think they feel he could be the workhorse back that would better compliment Domanick Davis in the running game. Just a little something I was thinking about this morning.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006   #2
Sportsfan
All Pro

Doubt it.
Sportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006   #3
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 65244 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Ya know what, actually... maybe. With the recent rumors of an asking price and some valid arguements against whay we shouldn't take Reggie, including a recent discussion on 610 this morning which basically said...

..... how often does a quality pass rusher available for the draft in comparison to a quality RB? Plus, in this draft they felt there was at least 5 or so quality RB's available (maybe not to Reggie's level, but still quality). IF they did decide to go Mario - then really focus on the line, both offensive and defensive - go after Winston after that. Get away from the sexy picks this year and really work towards a strong team in the trenches that will serve for years to come with a good foundation.....

So, yeah - actually, I do see it as a possibility. It wouldn't thrill me to bypass Bush, but if the FO knows what they're doing and you see the results on the field soon after with quality games and wins - then it would still sting to see Bush succeeding on another team (if he does) with the "told ya so" posts to wade through.... but I'd get over it if we had more W's for our team.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006   #4
Texans86
All Pro

I'm hoping that Kubiak can bring the running back magic home to Texas. Get some second day back and turn him into an All-Pro. Theres so many good running backs that get passed over, and end up falling to late rounds. Besides, RB is one of the most injury prone positions, and its nice to not have to pay tons of money for someone to ride the bench.
Old 04-21-2006   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I'm obviously in the minority.... but if Kubiak/Shanahan had a history of taking second day picks(Davis, Anderson, Gary) and making them Franchise backs, I can't see them looking to take anyone but REggi(if Reggie at all) in the first round.
Old 04-21-2006   #6
Texans86
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
I'm obviously in the minority.... but if Kubiak/Shanahan had a history of taking second day picks(Davis, Anderson, Gary) and making them Franchise backs, I can't see them looking to take anyone but REggi(if Reggie at all) in the first round.
I agree. However, I do see a running back coming out of this draft. Whether it's Reggie or not, we need one more back. We only have DD (injury questions) and Morency (still unproven). Last week we signed Anderson, who was cut during training camp last season. Wells is still out there I believe, so we do have some options, but I expect a running back in there somewhere.
Old 04-21-2006   #7
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4toZ
Ya know what, actually... maybe. With the recent rumors of an asking price and some valid arguements against whay we shouldn't take Reggie, including a recent discussion on 610 this morning which basically said...

..... how often does a quality pass rusher available for the draft in comparison to a quality RB? Plus, in this draft they felt there was at least 5 or so quality RB's available (maybe not to Reggie's level, but still quality). IF they did decide to go Mario - then really focus on the line, both offensive and defensive - go after Winston after that. Get away from the sexy picks this year and really work towards a strong team in the trenches that will serve for years to come with a good foundation.....

So, yeah - actually, I do see it as a possibility. It wouldn't thrill me to bypass Bush, but if the FO knows what they're doing and you see the results on the field soon after with quality games and wins - then it would still sting to see Bush succeeding on another team (if he does) with the "told ya so" posts to wade through.... but I'd get over it if we had more W's for our team.
This is exactly how I feel. I think Williams at #1 isn't the most sexiest draft but it would provide a very young defensive line for years with Weaver, Johnson, and Williams. I still want Bush at #1 though.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-21-2006   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans86
I agree. However, I do see a running back coming out of this draft. Whether it's Reggie or not, we need one more back. We only have DD (injury questions) and Morency (still unproven). Last week we signed Anderson, who was cut during training camp last season. Wells is still out there I believe, so we do have some options, but I expect a running back in there somewhere.

I see that also..... all the hype around REggie, I can see the Texans taking him. But I don't see us taking Lendale White.....

If we get Mario, then well bring in a late round Running Back......... late round.
Old 04-21-2006   #9
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans86
I'm hoping that Kubiak can bring the running back magic home to Texas. Get some second day back and turn him into an All-Pro. Theres so many good running backs that get passed over, and end up falling to late rounds. Besides, RB is one of the most injury prone positions, and its nice to not have to pay tons of money for someone to ride the bench.
that is how I have felt all along. I think the #1 pick is just too high for a Rb that is going to be splitting carries. I see us going to a running back by committee type of offense like denver runs, and #1 is just too high for a RB in that type of offense IMHO. I really think the RB from Texas Tech would fit perfectly in our new offense, and he can be had in the 4th round.
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006   #10
fingers5
Rookie

Default Go D

IMHO I just cannot see the point of going Bush at #1 - He is going to cost a fortune, going to have a huge bullseye on his back (hello injuries) and running backs are not the way to build a championship (see Barry Sanders) - The way to build is thru smart moves on volumes of talent (see Cowboys in the '80s) - Find out who at 2,3,4 wants to move up (preferably the Jets) and get what you can from them - Use those extra picks and draft someone who will still produce (awesome talent still available at those spots) incredibly well - Its been said before, defense wins championships, and I believe it - Go for someone who can actually put pressure on Peyton twice a season - Get someone in the D backfield who will not allow last second passes to be completed by 3rd string quarterbacks from Ivy League schools - Draft a lineman who will keep the other guys studs (and scrubs who look like studs when the play us) from treating D.C. like a school girl swimming in bra and panties in the Friday the 13th movies

Bottom line, if someone makes even a reasonable offer to move down a few spots, take it - You still get everything that you need (no, we do not need a new quarterback (although I agree that D.C. was the wrong choice at the wrong time - but that is a thought for another email) and have the opportunity to get even more
Old 04-21-2006   #11
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
I see that also..... all the hype around REggie, I can see the Texans taking him. But I don't see us taking Lendale White.....

If we get Mario, then well bring in a late round Running Back......... late round.
I think if they take Mario (which I'm hoping happens), then they could either look at a speed back/punt return guy like Maurice Drew (UCLA, 5'6.5", 207 lbs., 4.39), Leon Washington (Florida St., 5'7.5", 201 lbs., 4.42), Andre Hall (South Florida, 5'8.5", 208 lbs., 4.42), Jerome Harrison (Washington St., 5'9", 4.47) or a power back like Cedric Humes (Virginia Tech, 6'0.5", 227 lbs., 4.61) or Gerald Riggs (Tennessee, 5'10.5", 232 lbs., 4.61) in the 4th or 6th round.

At the same time, I think if they take Reggie Bush at #1 they will look for a DE by the 4th round, probably a bigger one that could potentially play strongside DE in case Weaver get hurt.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006   #12
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

frankly...I can't see us taking anyone but Bush if we stay at 1. Offense sells tickets, and I think that McNair and company remember those empty stadium seats last season and will probably draft mostly defense after the first round. I wish it wasn't so, but they seem fairly predictable.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006   #13
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtech9
that is how I have felt all along. I think the #1 pick is just too high for a Rb that is going to be splitting carries. I see us going to a running back by committee type of offense like denver runs, and #1 is just too high for a RB in that type of offense IMHO. I really think the RB from Texas Tech would fit perfectly in our new offense, and he can be had in the 4th round.
I like TTU...but after the recent QB successes and then failures in the NFL, I'm beginning to think that Leach has a system and its the system, not the player(s) who should be credited with the numbers someone like Henderson has put up.

Granted he's the best stastical RB they've had, and they've never really had a great crop of RBs bust into the NFL...but I think Henderson was a bi-product of a TTU offense that spread the field and this also gave a guy like Henderson some wide lanes to run through. He's fast. He's quick. But I think he'll struggle behind a more traditional o line than he's seen his college career.

Will have to see it to believe it.

Now Mr. Slay, on the other hand, THAT'S a guy we should grab in the 2nd round if you ask me. Dude looks like Ronnie Lott all over again, IMO. We need that "enforcer" presence on our defense.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Tickets been done sold..... they just have to win some games, to keep people in their seats.......
Old 04-22-2006   #15
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
frankly...I can't see us taking anyone but Bush if we stay at 1. Offense sells tickets, and I think that McNair and company remember those empty stadium seats last season and will probably draft mostly defense after the first round. I wish it wasn't so, but they seem fairly predictable.
Empty seats do not matter if they are paid seats. Bush's value to McNair is on the field, revenue is secondary.
Old 04-22-2006   #16
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Draft Williams with your #1, Winston with #2, and if you're that pressed for a RB take one with one of your two 3rds.

You're talking about instant starters for the next 10 YEARS as opposed to hoping for 8 out of bush who won't be a full-time starter. Again I say close to 80 million in a backfied for part-timer runners no matter how you dice the contracts up makes no fiscal snese much less football.

I'm all for this thread happening!!!!
Old 04-22-2006   #17
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Like your idea Texas Thrill. Williams with the 1 Winston with the 2 and then with the first 3 best Corner unless Rocky McIntosh falls then with the second 3 trade with New England for their two thirds and take Maurice Drew, and Best FS/G/LB and then in the 4th we look WR.
Old 04-22-2006   #18
whiskeyrbl

Texans | Team has exchanged contract proposals with M. Williams
Fri, 21 Apr 2006 18:53:48 -0700

Updating a previous report, Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports the Houston Texans have exchanged contract proposals with North Carolina State DL Mario Williams' agent, according to multiple league sources.
Old 04-22-2006   #19
whiskeyrbl

Texans | Team exchanging contract proposals with Bush's agent
Fri, 21 Apr 2006 17:56:29 -0700

Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports the Houston Texans and USC RB Reggie Bush's agent have exchanged contract proposals for the first time, Friday, April 21. The two sides spent part of the day in talks aimed at reaching an agreement before the start of the NFL Draft.
Old 04-22-2006   #20
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
Empty seats do not matter if they are paid seats. Bush's value to McNair is on the field, revenue is secondary.
huh? You bet your *** they want them full of the beer buying, merchandise consuming public. No way do they want to see 'paid for - but empty' stadiums on game day....I respect your takes...but that one is just not accurate. We have been sold conservative football for 4 years....I guarantee you that they are retooling the offense especially because of this.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read