Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-20-2006   #1
Frank_The_Tank
Veteran

Default Reggie Now-Trade Down- Peterson Next Year

For all the fans who think we need a rookie Running Back here is my argument at to why I feel the best route to take is to pass on Bush and take Peterson next year.
O.K. when you sit here and evaluate the situation, the Texans have a chance to do the smart thing. First off, if you take Bush this year, realisticly we all do not know if he is ever going to be able to carry 20 + carries a game. He never has so we don't know. The pick is risky no matter how you twist it plus the guy is asking for a lot of money. If you look at this draft, there is a good possibility we could make a move with San Fran the Jets or GB: all three we could trade the 1st pick for there first this year, there first next year and a number two this year. We go into next season with 2 number one picks. We let Domanick Davis get his chance to make it happen, and if he flopps we have the bargining power to go for Adrian Peterson next year. Adrian Peterson has more upside in the NFL than Reggie Bush in my opinion. First of Peterson has 4.3 to 4.4 speed at 6'2 220 Lbs. He is a work horse and can get the job done. You want to make comparisons between Reggie Bush 5'10 200 lbs and Faulk 5'10 211. O.K. Faulk has only played 4 16 game seasons in his 12 year career. The closest comparison for Peterson is Eddie George. Eddie George had 8 back to back 16 game season. In my opinion this is the route to take.
Frank_The_Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006   #2
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_The_Tank
For all the fans who think we need a rookie Running Back here is my argument at to why I feel the best route to take is to pass on Bush and take Peterson next year.
O.K. when you sit here and evaluate the situation, the Texans have a chance to do the smart thing. First off, if you take Bush this year, realisticly we all do not know if he is ever going to be able to carry 20 + carries a game. He never has so we don't know. The pick is risky no matter how you twist it plus the guy is asking for a lot of money. If you look at this draft, there is a good possibility we could make a move with San Fran the Jets or GB: all three we could trade the 1st pick for there first this year, there first next year and a number two this year. We go into next season with 2 number one picks. We let Domanick Davis get his chance to make it happen, and if he flopps we have the bargining power to go for Adrian Peterson next year. Adrian Peterson has more upside in the NFL than Reggie Bush in my opinion. First of Peterson has 4.3 to 4.4 speed at 6'2 220 Lbs. He is a work horse and can get the job done. You want to make comparisons between Reggie Bush 5'10 200 lbs and Faulk 5'10 211. O.K. Faulk has only played 4 16 game seasons in his 12 year career. The closest comparison for Peterson is Eddie George. Eddie George had 8 back to back 16 game season. In my opinion this is the route to take.
Other than the assumptions you make about Peterson's game (most of which I would agree with, but still, assumptions), the biggest is that we would be in a position to draft or trade to draft Peterson next year. We surely do not want to and do not intend to finish with that kind of record, and planning on trading down a year in advance is utterly foolish.
Old 04-20-2006   #3
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

i'll take marshawn lynch over peterson.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006   #4
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2802 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Peterson has already suffered a season ending injury with that darn ankle...is he durable? No disrespect to the amazing freshman season he had, but that is a question mark on his resume.
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006   #5
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I also prefer Peterson's style of running. However, he was hurt a lot this past season and would have prove he's back to old form. I would stop short of calling him "injury-prone" just yet. I guess we'll find out next year.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006   #6
Long-Spurs-Texan
Veteran

Peterson is an awesome college back. He runs with reckless abandon, with absolutely no regard to his body. He won't last like that. He is fast and powerful though. I love to watch him run, very Dickerson-esque. Thing is, Dickerson had some moves. Peterson is like a freaking angry racehorse.
Old 04-20-2006   #7
Smokedawg
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 Smokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden cover

I wouldn't take Peterson in the first round. We should take SS Laron Landry
Old 04-20-2006   #8
Texans86
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long-Spurs-Texan
Peterson is an awesome college back. He runs with reckless abandon, with absolutely no regard to his body. He won't last like that. He is fast and powerful though. I love to watch him run, very Dickerson-esque. Thing is, Dickerson had some moves. Peterson is like a freaking angry racehorse.
Closer to an angry bull...that can probably run a 4.4. I'm still not looking forward to seeing a healthy Peterson next year in Dallas. I'm hoping Charles lives up to his billing.
Old 04-20-2006   #9
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8759 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

By the time AP goes pro, his body is going to be about 3 years older than it actually is. He is a back who will have 3-4 years of production befor his skills start to decline. RB has been lucky to have someone to split carries with and doesnt have alot of wear and tear on him, and put that with the difference in style, gives him more years of good production befor his skills decline.
Old 04-20-2006   #10
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

the angry racehorse label fits. as i said before, give me marshawn lynch.
Old 04-20-2006   #11
PokerStar
Veteran

Give me Slaton from West Virginia next year on special or the year after. DD's hit and effectiveness should be gone enough by then. PS Kas when you gonna change your mock up.
Old 04-20-2006   #12
DominickDavisFan76
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna
i'll take marshawn lynch over peterson.
A possible 1st round RB, next year or the year after could be Jamario Thomas

He was competing with adrian peterson for most yards for a rookie, I think he had more too, but since he was in a worse of a conference nobody gave him any attention, He plays for North Texas -Go Mean Green!!! JK
DominickDavisFan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006   #13
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I love Peterson more so than Bush, but it is to early to even think about what our needs are and how he winds up next season. Hopefully we will not have to be in the AP sweepstakes next year.
Old 04-20-2006   #14
Texans86
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayseed2002
Lets trade Carr to N.O for their first rounder this year and Davis to G.B. for their first rounder.... then we can get Williams, Young, and Bush!
I know (or hoping against hope) you're joking, but that made me sick to my stomach.
Old 04-20-2006   #15
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

No matter how much it gets preached, some people never get it.

Size does not = durability
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006   #16
MasterC25
Rookie

Quote:

More upside I would have to disagree Peterson is injury prone in college football. I don't think he is physically up to the challenge of staying healthy in the NFL. Plus Peterson has been know to have problems with coaches and is typically not a hard worker in practices
MasterC25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006   #17
MasterC25
Rookie

Quote:

More upside I would have to disagree Peterson is injury prone in college football. I don't think he is physically up to the challenge of staying healthy in the NFL. Plus Peterson has been know to have problems with coaches and is typically not a hard worker in practices
MasterC25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006   #18
Frank_The_Tank
Veteran

AP is not injury prone, he had a minor injury and by seasons end he was back in top form. By this time next year he will be fighting Quinn for the #1 pick no doubts and's iff's or but's about it. He is by far the most domenant force on the field when he plays. If he was in this years draft, there is no doubt he would go ahead of Reggie Bush.
Old 04-20-2006   #19
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

lynch will be the first back taken when it's all said and done. he'll have just as good of a season, but he'll have better combine and/or pro day numbers. plus he's much more versatile than peterson.

besides, the top pick will be a dogfight between quinn and joe thomas, the best tackle prospect ever.
Old 04-20-2006   #20
Frank_The_Tank
Veteran

Marshawn Lynch????? You know how good he is, he is such a big time back that I had to google to find out who he was. Cal sucks, look at who they play. I hope you are joking comparing him to Adrian Peterson. LOL I have heard it all now.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read