Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-20-2006   #1
throwANDREtheBALL
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to throwANDREtheBALL
Default What Position do we NEED to fix the most?

What are our biggest need or needs?

We've done OK in Free Agency and the Moulds trade filled a need. So where does everyone think we need to put some glue next?

Offense
OT, TE, QB, RB

Defense
DE, LB, CB, FS
throwANDREtheBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006   #2
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwANDREtheBALL
What are our biggest need or needs?

We've done OK in Free Agency and the Moulds trade filled a need. So where does everyone think we need to put some glue next?

Offense
OT, TE, QB, RB

Defense
DE, LB, CB, FS
Why do you say that Moulds, who has only caught 10 TDs in the last three years, had met a need? Heck, if the OL could have given the WRs the Texans had last year time to complete their routes, Gaffney would have been just fine. In fact, he did a good job in filling in for AJ when he was hurt. As for your question, you should deal with the same problem the Texans have had for the last four years -- and that isn't QB, RB or TE.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006   #3
throwANDREtheBALL
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to throwANDREtheBALL

DOH, it was gonna be a POLL......but I timed out or something.

Anyways, personally, I think we are fine at RB......at least we'd better be after burning multiple first day picks on RBs in previous drafts.

QB - well we don't have a choice since they re-signed CARR.

TE - not a big need, unless Putzier goes down, then its just sad

OT - HELLO......CAN we please have some TALENT UPGRADE HERE

So as far as the offense goes......OT is the biggest need.

FS - we C.C. and Glenn, but, no bonafide FS.....so do we take a Jason Allen in round 2?

DE - Can Babin and Peek convert back to DE? Is Kalu starter quality? Mario Williams would be a huge upgrade.

LB - Greenwood and Orr look like they can be decent in a 4-3 defense...but, after that its just a bunch of (?) marks, has-beens and recently-hurts.

CB - Is Buchanon gonna be Dr.Phil this year and teach the opposition...or is he gonna be more like Oprah again and be WAY to soft ?

Here's how I'd list them in order of biggest need first.
1. OT
2. DE*
3. LB*
4. FS
5. CB
6. TE

* - Linebacker and Defensive End are almost the same, they both have bodies there for depth but no real answers. They both need one good player.

The need of OT goes down if they can put Weigert to RT, but then there is a need for a OG.

Pitts - Hodgdon - Flanagan - ROOKIE - Weigert

They'd better keep Mckinney off the field, or I'm gonna.....well, I won't do anything but complain for another season. As fans that's all we can do.

throwANDREtheBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006   #4
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

I don't think the Texans are in a spot where they have a major need, but I think the best results would come from drafting a FS/CB. This year, especially, because we will go up against some damn good receivers in the NFC East, like TO. We will play against QBs like McNabb, Payton (twice), Byron Leftwich (twice), and possibly Steve McNair/Matt Leinart/Vince Young. The AFC South has always had strong aerial attacks (except the Texans).
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006   #5
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10704 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwANDREtheBALL
Here's how I'd list them in order of biggest need first.
1. OT
2. DE*
3. LB*
4. FS
5. CB
6. TE
I pretty much agree with this, but I would possibly move CB up the list a bit. Not that it's our biggest NEED, but because I think it's a position that will greatly benefit the entire team if upgraded. FS would fit into that kinda logic too.

For me at least (here comes the 30sec analysis) the Offense last year were suffering mostly from horrible coaching (and players giving up), whereas the Defense had some real, serious problems stopping anything. I know I'm simplifying here, but I still think the Defense needs the most fixing.
Old 04-20-2006   #6
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

Our 1st need is to get a gamebreaker on offense. Hince, here comes Reggie Bush. Now I know you are looking for an argument, and I won't give it to ya. So, get off the Vince Young bandwagon.

Draft offense this year, and find what else needs "fixing", and fix it next year.
Old 04-20-2006   #7
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10704 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBred_Texan
Our 1st need is to get a gamebreaker on offense.
I'm just worried that if we don't change the Defense from last year, you won't be seeing our new wizz-kid Offensive wonderboy on the field much :/
Old 04-20-2006   #8
bkimble
Rookie

[quote=throwANDREtheBALL]What are our biggest need or needs?

Offense
OT, TE, QB, RB

Defense
DE, LB, CB, FS

Our biggest need is a new GM. Afterwards, we need a New QB,OT and RG.
On the defense side we need a LB, SS and DE. The right defense end position is weak as well as our defense backs. However, IMO, our biggest weakest is at QB, we've no leadership on this team.
bkimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006   #9
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy
I pretty much agree with this, but I would possibly move CB up the list a bit. Not that it's our biggest NEED, but because I think it's a position that will greatly benefit the entire team if upgraded. FS would fit into that kinda logic too.

For me at least (here comes the 30sec analysis) the Offense last year were suffering mostly from horrible coaching (and players giving up), whereas the Defense had some real, serious problems stopping anything. I know I'm simplifying here, but I still think the Defense needs the most fixing.
We downgraded the team last year by getting rid of several veterans and not stocking up. It is debatable whether our defensive draft choices from that year (Babin, TJ) are busts or not. I think this year will determine that a lot. However, I am hoping that moving to the 4-3 will vastly affect our defense. In a perfect world, a lot of our players in the front seven perform much better in the 4-3. I am still really nervous about our defensive secondary, though. The only solid player back there is Dunta, IMO.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006   #10
touttail
All Pro

I think we really need to shore up our OLine. We need dept, dept, and more dept. Starters seem not to make whole seasons, so decent backups are needed.

Bobby 119C
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006   #11
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by touttail
I think we really need to shore up our OLine. We need dept, dept, and more dept. Starters seem not to make whole seasons, so decent backups are needed.

Bobby 119C
Warning! You have 999 posts - make the next one a good one.

I agree - we need to draft some o-lineman depth that will be ready to start in 2007.
Old 04-20-2006   #12
Bearfan Blue and Orange
Veteran

JMO but

I do not think they are going to get an offer like they want to trade down. Therefore...

Take Williams with the first pick. With a solid Defensive line that can get to the QB, you automatically make your secondary look better because they do not have to be out on an island chasing WRs with their back to the QB or to the WR.

Second you take an OT with the second pick. This will allow great protection from the outside pass rushers to protect Carr and give him an extra second or two to make better reads than last year.

With the third round pick #1 you work on the secondary CB or S

Third round pick #2 you get a LB or another G for depth and quality on the Oline.

Fourth round pick another CB/S

Fifth round pick WR
Bearfan Blue and Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006   #13
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

I like your thought Bearfan. And your team really turned it around improving the defense first now working to improve the offense. Like the first pick, but if Winston does not fall to the second round then I look for my CB/FS at 33 mainly in the form of Joseph or possibly Cromartie, even would consider Youbouty. Then continue from there. We dont have a 5th rounder, but we do have a sixth and that is a good place for G depth. Look for some moves in the third with a possible trade down of one of those picks to get a LB, S, or WR.
Old 04-20-2006   #14
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

One of the things that has hurt us with the 0line is not only no depth but the quality of the depth. I think in the 2nd round, that needs to be our first pick. I believe the guy that is available there will be a very good fit. In the 3rd I think we could go defensive on our first pick LB or DB and with our second we can go for a TE. Even though Putzier, Rruener, and Joppru we are still only a groin pull away from being in the same predicament we were in last year where we have to play a guy like Rivers with hands of stone.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006   #15
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184609 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont get it , Almost everyone has OT at the top of their lists . And the majority of those want a LT to replace Pitts or move him to LG/RT . Pitts did a good job last season after moving back to LT when V.Riley was cut . Shut out Freeeny Twice... which is no small task . He improved in other area's as well .... less false starts and fewer holding penalties . Im completely content to pencil him in at LT for at least the next couple of seasons .

There are more pressing needs in the secondary and at the DE spot than are on the O-line now since the signing of Flanagan which was a two position upgrade (Moved McKinney to his natural guard spot replacing the pathetic Milford Brown ) . And in my opinion the weakest positions on the line last season were on the interior .... not the tackles. If Wade can come back and be productive this season Wiegart can move back to guard and the O-line should look much improved . A mid to late round selection along the line wouldnt be a bad idea tho .

I think the Texans need to look at the CB / FS positions first for the defense as CC.Brown and Glen Earl are both best suited for the SS position . Their skill sets are very similar , good at supporting the run , both are good tacklers but neither is solid enough in coverage to play the FS spot .

As for the CB spot D-Rob is a no-brainer on one side but Faggins is probably not quite good enough to start .... He's a solid Nickle corner tho . Then you have P-Burnt as the first guy off the bench ..... His tackling skills are a joke and I think he try's too often to go for the INT rather than make the solid play . He has all the physical tools you look for in a corner but can he keep his head in the game ? .... Maybe the changes in the defense will help him .... less thinking and more reacting .

After that my biggest concern is at the DE spot where Babin and Peek are expected to play ..... there needs to be a back-up plan here . Im just not sold on the idea that they can get the job done over a full season .

I think a lot of the Texans major needs were filled via FA and that they can afford to take the best available player at just about any draft slot . They arent forced to reach for need as it stands now .

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006   #16
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

Texans Needs in rough order:

OLB#1, OT#1 , CB#2, MLB, RDE, TE#2, FS, WR#3
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006   #17
Battle Red Flash
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Battle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performer
Default Texans Need:

My rankings of what Texans need:
OL, DE, CB, FS, WR, P, LB.

I say OL because I like Chester at LT. We need a RG, or RT with the 2nd round pick.
We need a new punter in 7th round. And not that guy from Colorado! Talk about inflated stats.
I put LB late because by moving from 3-4 to 4-3 , if we can't find 3 good LB's on the roster after signing Cowart, we truly suck.
Moulds is stop-gap. We still need another WR for coming years.
Old 04-20-2006   #18
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion
I dont get it , Almost everyone has OT at the top of their lists . And the majority of those want a LT to replace Pitts or move him to LG/RT . Pitts did a good job last season after moving back to LT when V.Riley was cut . Shut out Freeeny Twice... which is no small task . He improved in other area's as well .... less false starts and fewer holding penalties . Im completely content to pencil him in at LT for at least the next couple of seasons .
I sort of agree with you. However, Pitts is also our most flexible lineman, and one of only two who seems to have any chance to play LT. On the other hand, we have several who could play RT, including Pitts. So given that Pitts is probably capable of performing as well or better at RT or a G spot, it makes some sense to have a preference for the LTs over the RTs.

Quote:
There are more pressing needs in the secondary and at the DE spot than are on the O-line now since the signing of Flanagan which was a two position upgrade (Moved McKinney to his natural guard spot replacing the pathetic Milford Brown ) . And in my opinion the weakest positions on the line last season were on the interior .... not the tackles.
Agreed.

However, historically we've had no luck finding quality OLine in the draft and have to keep bringing in expensive (and old) FA. For McKinney, Wade, Weigert, the only things bigger than their age numbers are their cap numbers . A quality rookie OL this year may make one of them expendable next year - and the OL talent pool this year is falling in such a way that our picks look like value spots. Our #33 pick could well be the third best OL in the draft.

In the secondary, 3/4ths of our starters are on their rookie contracts, and the other, Buchanan, isn't all that old (or expensive for that matter). Unlike the OL, our picks are falling just AFTER the spots that secondary players are expected to fly off the board, meaning we'll be getting leftovers. Serious analysts are predicting as many as TEN secondary players in the first round. This means our pick at #33 could well be the eleventh best DB in the draft.
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006   #19
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Pitts doing a good job at LT in 2005 isn’t as simple as that for a couple of reasons:

1) He received a great deal of double team help. In the Seattle game (his first at LT) it was painfully obvious. Breuner was frequently lined up on his side to double team and in a few cases Breuner ended up blocking the end by himself. When Rivers replaced Breuner in that role there was an immediate sack. Pitts was embarrassed after that game, he got so much help.

By the time they got to the first Indy games they had cleaned up the double teaming. For every pass play, Milford Brown had responsibility to double team Freeney if Freeney made an inside move. This was an immense help to Pitts, because not only did it stop Freeney on the inside, it allowed Pitts to set up more quickly and more to the outside to take on Freeney’s speed rush. It was a good scheme, and unless you were looking for it, it appeared Pitts was one on one with Freeney to a greater degree than he was.

Various similar schemes were used once Pitts moved to LT. When he played guard these types of schemes weren’t used – I don’t know if that is a comment on Pitts’ capabilities or the o-line schemer.

2) The 2005 offense was pretty easy on the tackles anyway, since they had almost eliminated the 7 step drop and by the end of the year the 5 step drop was near extinction too.

Best quote I’ve heard about Pitts when asked “Is Pitts a better guard or tackle?”

“Guard – if he wants to be”.

Pitts got his big contract last year – he needs to concentrate on what is good for the team as well as what is good for him now.

Last edited by Runner; 04-20-2006 at 10:17 AM.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006   #20
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Red Flash
My rankings of what Texans need:
OL, DE, CB, FS, WR, P, LB.

I say OL because I like Chester at LT. We need a RG, or RT with the 2nd round pick.
I agree with this. I would like Max Jean-Giles from Ga. and if not him then I can live with Eric Winston from Miami.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read