Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-19-2006   #1
texansfaninla
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 texansfaninla has been demoted to the practice squad
Default SI.com: Dissent in front office?

Don't know if this has been posted yet or not - This SI.com draft blog reads as follows:

"It's not surprising that reports are surfacing that the Texans aren't sure Bush is their man. Even if he is their guy -- which I happen to believe he is -- NFL teams love to lie in April. And there's the not-so-small matter of leverage in contract negotiations with Bush.

A report on NFL.com claimed people in the Houston organization like defensive end Mario Williams. The story pointed out running back is one of the few areas where the Texans don't need help and they already have a Pro Bowl return man in Jerome Mathis.

I would imagine there is real dissent in Houston's office. GM Charley Casserly's back is against the wall and he needs Bush for instant excitement. New coach Gary Kubiak proved in Denver he can turn practically anyone into a Pro Bowl RB and wouldn't need to take one that high.

My gut says Casserly makes the call and takes Bush."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_..._16_index.html

Thoughts? If it's Casserly versus Kubiak, doesn't Kubiak win since Casserly is probably heading to the NFL offices in NYC to fill Art Shell's job? And if that's the case...ah, never mind. Can we just get to next Saturday??? I'm tired of this ride.
texansfaninla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006   #2
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

Has anyone ever heard Kubiak say he wasn't interested in Bush? Or in high RB talent in general? The media keeps reporting this Denver stuff over and over again.

The only thing I've heard is along the lines of "we never had picks this high in Denver" - implying that Denver rules wouldn't apply to the '06 Texan draft.

I'm of the reverse viewpoint, that only an offensive coordinator type person would be really excited about a guy like Bush who's greatest talent is his ability to be played at multiple positions. It takes an offensive schemer to make proper use of him.

FYI, there was an ESPN Insider note this afternoon that Kubiak appears to be calling all the shots in the front office thanks to Cass' short-timer-syndrome.
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006   #3
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=texansfaninla]I would imagine there is real dissent in Houston's front office/quote]

There is the key word of this artical. Just his imagination of what he thinks MIGHT be going on. It's just made up stuff folks.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006   #4
bkimble
Rookie

Default We don't need Bush

The Texans are going have to explain how Kubiak (a former QB himself) reached the conclusion that it was in the best interests of the Houston Texans franchise to take a part-time slot-back over the best QB in the history of college football. Are or is this CC pick..............
bkimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006   #5
tex
Veteran

I would hate to see Bud get to pick between RB or VY wouldn't you?
tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006   #6
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkimble
best QB in the history of college football.
I don't know about that. Vince was a great QB, but the best of all time?
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006   #7
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
I don't know about that. Vince was a great QB, but the best of all time?
If we can call reggie an all time great, certainly vince has to be in the other discussion...NOBODY had ever done a 3000/1000 and won back 2 back rose bowl MVPs.....High winning percentage as a starter, carried his team at times...breathtaking to watch, national championship winner....yeah, he should be in the discussion

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-19-2006   #8
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, if you want my opinion, I'm tired of discussing what happened in college football.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006   #9
LoneStarState
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07
If we can call reggie an all time great, certainly vince has to be in the other discussion...NOBODY had ever done a 3000/1000 and won back 2 back rose bowl MVPs.....High winning percentage as a starter, carried his team at times...breathtaking to watch, national championship winner....yeah, he should be in the discussion
In the discussion, yes - best ever, that's up for debate. VY is not the first qb to win a National Championship or lead a team to a last minute victory. Impressive, yes. But not the only one to do it.
Old 04-19-2006   #10
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
Well, if you want my opinion, I'm tired of discussing what happened in college football.
I will second that too. College is fun for college kids. It is another level entirely in the NFL, physically and mentally. Just count the Heisman busts.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006   #11
trutxn
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarg01
I'm of the reverse viewpoint, that only an offensive coordinator type person would be really excited about a guy like Bush who's greatest talent is his ability to be played at multiple positions. It takes an offensive schemer to make proper use of him.
An offensive mind could do wonders with a QB like Vince as well, you can't ignore his athletic ability.
trutxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006   #12
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarState
In the discussion, yes - best ever, that's up for debate. VY is not the first qb to win a National Championship or lead a team to a last minute victory. Impressive, yes. But not the only one to do it.

only one to go 3000/1000

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006   #13
texplayer2
Veteran

Quote:
only one to go 3000/1000
Best UT QB ever VINCE YOUNG. Best Ever Joe Montana.
texplayer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006   #14
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by trutxn
An offensive mind could do wonders with a QB like Vince as well, you can't ignore his athletic ability.
I didn't say anything about Vince, who wasn't the subject of the post. Despite the way this thread has gone since ...
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006   #15
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Seems like these guys are writing opinion pieces now about opinion pieces. Adam Schefter's NFL.com article is the other one.

The main problem is that they present opinion or speculation as fact.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006   #16
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

We pass on Reggie and make the great pick of Mario Williams and believe you me the Saints will be getting calls like there is no tomorrow about the move up. The Jets may then say what the hell we can get Bush and make the move. It is expensive right now to trade with us, but with the Saints it is as simple as both firsts.
Old 04-20-2006   #17
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
best QB in the history of college football.
Is he even as good as another local guy, Andre Ware, who won a Heisman ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006   #18
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
only one to go 3000/1000
maybe he'll have as good of a career as the first guy to go 2000/1000, woody dantzler. eric crouch is one of three quarterbacks in history to rush for 3000 and pass for 4000 yards in a career. maybe...just MAYBE young can follow the same path as crouch.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006   #19
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
The Texans are going have to explain how Kubiak (a former QB himself) reached the conclusion that it was in the best interests of the Houston Texans franchise to take a part-time slot-back over the best QB in the history of college football. Are or is this CC pick..............

Matt is a great QB, isn't he? Worst move the Texans made was passing on him...
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006   #20
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

I doubt if Cass is doing anything but what the coaches ask him to. It is my understanding that Casserly is a coaches' GM who goes and gets who the coaches want.

If there is dissent it is likely occuring between defensive and offensive coaches, because as much as Reggie adds a weapon to the offense you can make an even stronger case for Williams strengthening the defense. A guy like Williams will command double teams and extra protection rolled his way which frees up other players and creates additional possibility for blitz, and a fierce pass rush makes your all round defense that much better (more tipped balls, more hurried throws, more INTs.)

There is at least as much difference between Bush/Davis as there is Williams/Weaver from both athletic and pure potential standpoints. As well we have already heard reports that Reggie's agent wants to break the bank for the guy and we have not heard that about Williams. Maybe the reports are false and maybe Williams wants just as much cheddar, but you'd better believe that if Bush threatens holdout or we can get Williams for substantially less that it will make a big difference in the decision.

I am excited for this draft. I will be excited about both Reggie Bush and Mario Williams. I am just hoping we don't see another Babin-esque mystery move as we have specialized in throughout some past drafts.

And as for VY. I can't believe we are still talking about him. 3000/1000 = best QB ever my ***. Some of you guys will never understand that Vince, for all of his talents, was equally a product of UT's system and supporting cast. The guy doesn't piss victorious urine and he doesn't turn everything he touches into gold. Yeesh.

Last edited by jerek; 04-20-2006 at 10:42 AM.
jerek is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read