Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-19-2006   #1
pittbull
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to pittbull
Default Are they listening to the fan? No Williams!

We all know that the city will be in uproar if the Texans do not select Vince Young, that is a given that is most likely not going to happen. But what if they pass, not only on Young, but Bush, who both project to be unreal NFL players and possibly future Hall of Famers. Young played in the Big 12, faced all adversity and lead his team to a national title! Bush, was the key element in leading his team to 2 national titles, and took home the Heisman trophy, playing against some of the best competition in the land, over the past 3 years. But what about Mario Williams......huh? A 1 year wonder who many project to be like Julius Peppers, but never dominated year after year like Julius, without the help of teammates. Williams, a combine wonder, has teammates that are going to get drafted relatively high on the same side of the ball, along with a fellow DE. This tends to take pressure off of the other great players in college, but not in the pros. Peppers never had this, and dominated the ACC. Williams never dominated games like Peppers and one can only think that he would not be the player Mel Kiper and rest of the draft guru's project him to be. If the Texans were to take Williams and both Young and Bush become everything they have already shown, McNair should just pull a Bud Adams and leave town! The fans will NEVER forgive him! As far as I remember, The Carolina Panthers got blown out by Seattle in the playoffs and Peppers couldn't score a TD! The Steelers did win a Super Bowl with two running backs, Bettis and fast Willie Parker. Could we imagine that it Houston? Davis and Bush in the backfield, thunder and lightning! Point blank, this is about winning titles and taking the best PROVEN players in the draft. Whether it would be Young, Leinart, Bush, Ferguson, or even AJ Hawk for this case, all have proven to be consistent over time and make things happen, as for the Williams, I don't think so. PLEASE GOD, Don't let the Texans take Williams!:brickwall
Old 04-19-2006   #2
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittbull
We all know that the city will be in uproar if the Texans do not select Vince Young, that is a given that is most likely not going to happen. But what if they pass, not only on Young, but Bush, who both project to be unreal NFL players and possibly future Hall of Famers. Young played in the Big 12, faced all adversity and lead his team to a national title! Bush, was the key element in leading his team to 2 national titles, and took home the Heisman trophy, playing against some of the best competition in the land, over the past 3 years. But what about Mario Williams......huh? A 1 year wonder who many project to be like Julius Peppers, but never dominated year after year like Julius, without the help of teammates. Williams, a combine wonder, has teammates that are going to get drafted relatively high on the same side of the ball, along with a fellow DE. This tends to take pressure off of the other great players in college, but not in the pros. Peppers never had this, and dominated the ACC. Williams never dominated games like Peppers and one can only think that he would not be the player Mel Kiper and rest of the draft guru's project him to be. If the Texans were to take Williams and both Young and Bush become everything they have already shown, McNair should just pull a Bud Adams and leave town! The fans will NEVER forgive him! As far as I remember, The Carolina Panthers got blown out by Seattle in the playoffs and Peppers couldn't score a TD! The Steelers did win a Super Bowl with two running backs, Bettis and fast Willie Parker. Could we imagine that it Houston? Davis and Bush in the backfield, thunder and lightning! Point blank, this is about winning titles and taking the best PROVEN players in the draft. Whether it would be Young, Leinart, Bush, Ferguson, or even AJ Hawk for this case, all have proven to be consistent over time and make things happen, as for the Williams, I don't think so. PLEASE GOD, Don't let the Texans take Williams!:brickwall
Overreact much? Carolina got peppers, and WENT to the playoffs. I'll take that over a spectacular 4-12 reggie season any day. If you dont like what they do.....there is a door ya know?

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006   #3
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

Quote:
Well, I will probaly get crucified for this, but.....I agree. Except the leaving town part...
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006   #4
Dean 74
Rookie

roger that!
-tom
Dean 74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006   #5
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1341 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Relax... it's all just negotiating tactics. Bush is the guy.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006   #6
SBTexans08
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to SBTexans08

"Defense wins championships"...that's the motto. I'm all for drafting Bush though, emphatically!

Trade down sounds good....but only if we had a competent GM that could draft. We don't have that so dowgrading the value we have at #1 overall...it's out of the question IMO. We don't need Casserly screwing up even more the 2005 season we had. We lost terribly and we need some definite compensation for it, and that would be a stud. PLEASE TEXANS don't trade down and give Casserly more shots at the trigger only to shoot blanks!
Old 04-19-2006   #7
pittbull
All Pro

Default The Door

Uh, I live here in Houston, A season ticket holder, and would never abandon the Texans, but if McNair takes a DE, in a draft with Texas 'most prized athlete since Roger Clemens, forget about it, he may lose fans to Dallas or people may follow Vince where ever he goes. Lord forbid, Tennessee. If they take Bush, it eases the pain, as many think he will be a legend also, but Williams? No pazzaz, no city buzz, the fans will never forgive the franchie. They chose to keep Carr, which already has ignited a fire (Not myself included), didn't get a tackle in FA, and unless they get 4 extra picks for the #1, would be unreal!
Old 04-19-2006   #8
pittbull
All Pro

Default Agreed

I agree SB!!!
Old 04-19-2006   #9
tex
Veteran

I like that(Thunder and Lightning) lets just do it.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006   #10
done88
Veteran

Default ssss

This is a negotation ploy. They are going to take reggie and they don't want to pay too much for him. They want Reggie to tell his agent to get realstic real quick before he becomes the second pick and loses millions. The agent will fall in line and we will be chanting Reggie Reggie Reggie here very soon.
Old 04-19-2006   #11
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Quote:
And if Bush can't get the corner (like in the Rose Bowl) and Young can't do in the pros what he did in college; but Williams gets 10+ plus sacks a year and becomes a annual all-pro. Half this MB will be saying "I told you the Texans should have taken him."

I personally am not worried, we are getting a player (whether it is Bush, Young, Williams, Ferguson or Hawk) that is going to help this team for years to come, and that excites me.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006   #12
killeentexan
Rookie

Quote:
We all know that the city will be in uproar if the Texans do not select Vince Young, that is a given that is most likely not going to happen. But what if they pass, not only on Young, but Bush, who both project to be unreal NFL players and possibly future Hall of Famers. Williams never dominated games like Peppers and one can only think that he would not be the player Mel Kiper and rest of the draft guru's project him to be. !:brickwall
So the projections are correct when it comes to Bush and/or Young, but we shouldn't listen to them concerning Williams?

Quote:
If the Texans were to take Williams and both Young and Bush become everything they have already shown, McNair should just pull a Bud Adams and leave town! The fans will NEVER forgive him! !:brickwall
If the Texans take Williams and he helps our defense lead us to the playoffs and the Super Bowl while Bush and/or Young become good NFL players who never quite make it to the next level.....how will the fans react then?

Quote:
As far as I remember, The Carolina Panthers got blown out by Seattle in the playoffs and Peppers couldn't score a TD! The Steelers did win a Super Bowl with two running backs, Bettis and fast Willie Parker. Could we imagine that it Houston? Davis and Bush in the backfield, thunder and lightning! !:brickwall
How many other Super Bowl winners had a shared backfield? 2005 Patriots-Dillon; 2004 Patriots-A Smith; 2003 Buccaneers-Pittman; 2002 Patriots-A Smith; 2001 Ravens-Lewis; 2000 Rams-Faulk; 1999 Broncos-Davis; 1998 Broncos-Davis. The only possible RBBC from these teams is Tampa with Pittman/Alstott. History shows Super Bowl teams win it more often then not with one featured back.

Quote:
Point blank, this is about winning titles and taking the best PROVEN players in the draft. Whether it would be Young, Leinart, Bush, Ferguson, or even AJ Hawk for this case, all have proven to be consistent over time and make things happen, as for the Williams, I don't think so. PLEASE GOD, Don't let the Texans take Williams!:brickwall
No players in the draft are proven at the NFL level. They are all something of a gamble. The history of the league is littered with skill position busts taken in the top few picks, more so then OL/DL busts. Besides, defense wins championships...just ask the Colts
killeentexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006   #13
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

The uproar will die down if we finish with a winning record.

I want Williams, personally, though I still like Bush for our team a little better.

Bush isn't particularly more proven than Williams; let's not act as if Bush didn't have an all world OL blocking for him and an offensive guru for a HC all these years ...
Old 04-19-2006   #14
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought that if they listened to the fans they would draft VY...oh wait that was last month.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006   #15
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Start the "Draft Reggie or else" petition.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006   #16
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

If the hype on Mario is true, then he fits a need better than VY or RB. We never have had a bona fide pass rusher.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006   #17
DominickDavisFan76
Veteran

Quote:

Ok are we going to get any picks for taking Mario instead of Reggie...
If we do then I might agree on taking Mario.. if we are just going to use our #1 to take him then I say we take reggie instead.
DominickDavisFan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006   #18
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

This thread is ridiculous. I'd still go back and take Peppers over Carr if we could.

What is this nonsense about city buzz? Who gives a rats tail whether there is city buzz. Defensive players never create the kind of buzz that offensive players do.

If you need to leave town i have on your greyhound ticket to nashville.
Old 04-19-2006   #19
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

houston will draft bush, don't worry about it. the talks with williams are orchestrated to force bush's hand.

and williams isn't a one-year wonder at all. a lot of people had him as their #1 defensive player last year when he wasn't even eligible.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006   #20
TexasJedi
Hall of Fame

Yeah, who wants an awesome pass rush?
TexasJedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read