Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-19-2006   #1
dhaNim
Rookie

Default Chris Mortensen on Carr in his chat

This question was asked to him during his chat this morning and the answer was quite suprising as to how high david carr is regarded...

Quote:
Why would the Texans pay so much for Carr when he has not proved to amount to much,. they gave him a 8 mil roster bonus. Wouldnt they money been netter spent elsewhere..

Chris Mortensen: (12:28 PM ET ) It's funny, as I've spoken to these proven talent evaluators in the league, the consensus among them is that there have been only three "true" top-pick quarterback talents since 1998 - Peyton Manning, David Carr and Carson Palmer. Carr was mentioned by almost all of them. They had other issues on offense.
dhaNim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006   #2
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30855 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Mort on Carr

Eric Warth Texas
Why would the Texans pay so much for Carr when he has not proved to amount to much,. they gave him a 8 mil roster bonus. Wouldnt they money been netter spent elsewhere..

CHRIS MORTENSEN
It's funny, as I've spoken to these proven talent evaluators in the league, the consensus among them is that there have been only three true top-pick quarterback talents since 1998 - Peyton Manning, David Carr and Carson Palmer. Carr was mentioned by almost all of them. They had other issues on offense.

Might shed some light on why Carr was kept. This is from Mort's current chat session.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006   #3
dhaNim
Rookie

haha i guess we read this at the same time... i guess our posts with be merged...
dhaNim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006   #4
tex
Veteran

Not suprising to me
tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006   #5
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30855 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

More about the talent on hand:

Dan, Pittsburgh
I know it sounds like I'm beating a dead horse, but how could the Texans NOT trade away Reggie Bush to pick up a couple O-linemen to protect their QB?

CHRIS MORTENSEN
The Broncos' system that Kubiak has brought to the Texans has never called for stud O-linemen. The running game offers the protection; also, the talent on hand is better than most people think.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006   #6
MightyTExan
It's go time!

Rep Power: 19458 MightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respected

That's cool. I posted this in the NFL section, but I think this is an interesting comment considering how similiar Carr and Harrington's careers are:

Harrington was interviewed on the draft show last night:

They did a quick interview. He said he likes competition. And then something to the effect that his problems in Detroit were because he was just handed the starting job and not having a good team.
MightyTExan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006   #7
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

Quote:
there have been only three "true" top-pick quarterback talents since 1998 - Peyton Manning, David Carr and Carson Palmer. Carr was mentioned by almost all of them.
Wow. That is some good company. Hopefully that is the 2006 or 2007 AFC pro bowl roster for QB's.
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-19-2006   #8
Mailman04
Veteran

Chris Mortensen is a good friend of mine and is one of the best sources for NFL football. He doesn't have all the biased crap ESPN has in baseball, etc. Gammons and those clowns are all Boston Red Sox fans, but Chris does a good job. his son is the 3rd string QB here at Arkansas and Chris lives in Bella Vista, just north of Fayetteville. He thinks the Texans will take Bush with the first pick.
Mailman04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006   #9
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Mortensen is going to be on Dan Patrick's show shortly ....
Old 04-19-2006   #10
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Yeah I was going to start a thread on this, but I wanted to wait until after the draft ( to filter out the emotional cheerleader factor )

( not saying there is anything wrong with emotions or cheerleaders though. That's fine and they are fine. I cry too. )

When does it become a Carr problem or QB problem?

I had a hard time last season looking at Carr, when I watched Brett Favre and some others play. Toss that in with the Harrington implosion.

Can you blame it all on the OL? Favre is old and had a horrible line last season. His support problems were close to our own. They had to go 4 to 6 deep to find a running back to start.

Carr is young and Favre is on his last leg. Certainly if you cannot expect your quarterback to be better than a HOFer, you could at least expect him to be doing better than an ageing 'about to' retire HOFer.... but it didn't look that way.

Now I will tell you that Carr is my man, but when do I check myself and say... I have a worm instead of a butterfly? ( when it's past the time that I should be seeing wings )

Does anybody know of place that counts dropped balls? Is that it?
Old 04-19-2006   #11
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSisters
Yeah I was going to start a thread on this, but I wanted to wait until after the draft ( to filter out the emotional cheerleader factor )

( not saying there is anything wrong with emotions or cheerleaders though. That's fine and they are fine. I cry too. )

When does it become a Carr problem or QB problem?

I had a hard time last season looking at Carr, when I watched Brett Favre and some others play. Toss that in with the Harrington implosion.

Can you blame it all on the OL? Favre is old and had a horrible line last season. His support problems were close to our own. They had to go 4 to 6 deep to find a running back to start.

Carr is young and Favre is on his last leg. Certainly if you cannot expect your quarterback to be better than a HOFer, you could at least expect him to be doing better than an ageing about to retire HOFer.... but it didn't look that way.

Now I will tell you that Carr is my man, but when do I check myself and say... I have a worm instead of a butterfly? ( when it's past the time that I should be seeing wings )

Favre may have had a horrible offensive line but he also had a pretty good offensive scheme. Carr has had a very limited offense because of the staff that was brought in. Palmer is just a horrible offensive coordinator.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006   #12
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
Favre may have had a horrible offensive line but he also had a pretty good offensive scheme. Carr has had a very limited offense because of the staff that was brought in. Palmer is just a horrible offensive coordinator.
So are you saying this it then? If he doesn't fly like a champ this season, it's a problem with the quarterback.
Old 04-19-2006   #13
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Mort's take for those that don't have access to radio ....

Texan's are gathering data and will begin negotiating with both Bush and Williams ...... they are getting "virtually no action" for a trade out of #1 ... teams across the league are split on the best player in the draft between Bush and Williams .... he doesn't think they can trade out .... Texans have called the Jets 3 times inquiring about a trade only to be rebuffed each time ... thinks the Texans will take Bush ....
Old 04-19-2006   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSisters
Carr had 21 drops last year or 5% of overall attempts or 12.6% of incompletions--from Stats, Inc.
Old 04-19-2006   #15
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 292438 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm honestly up in the air about Carr. My eyes have seen many troublesome tendencies in his abilities, but my ears are being told that any QB will look horrible on bad teams with disfunctional coaching.

I really want to believe the dude has got the goods, but the proof is in action, not words. So he's our QB, and I'll root for him...but I just have this nagging doubt about the guy that I hope gets put to rest next season.

But better football minds that my feeble one have said that Carr has got the talent, so I suppose only time will tell.
Old 04-19-2006   #16
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

How odd, given the constant arguments up to the 1998 draft: who's better - Leaf or Manning?

We all know how it turned out, but that's mere hindsight.
Old 04-19-2006   #17
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
And thankfully we moved on from Palmer/Capers and we still will get to see the results of their coaching this year since Dom is in Miami and Palmer is up in Dallas with Parcells again. Now we can see how good/or bad their coaching really is since both are in positions to make choices again. I'm really interested to see if Palmer succeeds or flops with Bledsoe and the Cowboys -Should make for a real interesting game come October.

IMO - A lot of players on this club need to prove some things on the field this year to keep their jobs.
Old 04-19-2006   #18
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy
It's funny, as I've spoken to these proven talent evaluators in the league, the consensus among them is that there have been only three true top-pick quarterback talents since 1998 - Peyton Manning, David Carr and Carson Palmer. Carr was mentioned by almost all of them. They had other issues on offense.
Might shed some light on why Carr was kept.
That's fine, and reassuring I guess even though I'm never that impressed with these anonymous sources the media has.
But the endorsement that really means something to me is Kubiaks. His knowledge and credentials are well documeted. And his opinion of Carr is
well known. Its the one that really means something to me.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I like Drew Bledsoe... he's a ProBowler.... he puts up good stats, doesn't make too many stupid mistakes.

But when he's messing up, I'll tell you.

Same with Peyton, Same with Donovan, and Culpepper.

Put any of those guys on bad teams, and I can tell you when they are playing well, or when they are playing bad. When they are lifting their teams, and when they are dragging them down.

Same thing with David. He may very well be as talented & smart as Peyton & Carson............ but he played very poorly the second half of 2004, & all of 2005(well most of it).

Put it this way. Drew Bledsoe is good enough to get a team to the SuperBowl. Drew Bledsoe is good enough to win a SuperBowl. & while he did take his team to the SuperBowl once, and he owns an NFL Championship ring........ he's never won the superbowl, and time is running out.
Old 04-19-2006   #20
Nighthawk
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy
CHRIS MORTENSEN
It's funny, as I've spoken to these proven talent evaluators in the league, the consensus among them is that there have been only three true top-pick quarterback talents since 1998 - Peyton Manning, David Carr and Carson Palmer.
Somebody's sniffing somebody's jock big time. This is just plain silly.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read