Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Bush vs. Williams instead of Bush vs. Young

texan279

Hall of Fame
LINK

The Texans insist there's no guarantee they will use the first pick in the draft on running back Reggie Bush.

The Texans swear that those of us who believe Bush's name will be the first called by commissioner Paul Tagliabue on April 29 could end up being terribly wrong.

When team executives talk so glowingly about defensive end Mario Williams, they do so almost in unison, as if they're reading from a script.

You point out to them that they invited Williams to visit them one day after Bush and agent Joel Segal left town. You mention that even though both sides insist money was never brought up while Bush and Segal were in town, rumors are circulating that the agent mentioned figures so preposterous that they called Williams the next day.

Merely coincidences, the Texans claim. They say they really are as enamored of Williams as they are of Bush. They say they think both will be superstars. They insist that coming down the stretch, Williams has closed the gap with Bush, and it's a dead heat.

They also know hardly anyone believes them. And they're right.

Most of us can accept taking Bush over Vince Young. Bush has impeccable credentials. He's instant excitement. He has take-your-breath-away speed and quickness, and every time he touches the ball he's capable of scoring. And Bush has the fear factor in his favor. When the huddle breaks, the defense has to account for him all over the field.

Big and speedy

The Texans agree, but they counter that Williams (6-7, 295) runs a 4.70 40-yard dash, bench-presses 18-wheelers and has other impeccable credentials. When the ball's snapped, he's instant excitement, too. Just imagine him bearing down on Peyton Manning. Just imagine the kind of rush Williams will provide.

Yeah, but Williams doesn't score touchdowns. Bush will score a lot more than Williams prevents.

Still, during peak smoke-
screen season, when we know team executives around the league are lying because their lips are moving — what if the Texans are telling the truth?

What if coach Gary Kubiak really does believe Williams is the best prospect in the draft? Not the best defensive prospect, which everyone agrees on, but the best prospect overall. Perhaps even one of the best ever.

Kubiak loves to watch tape of players. When he hits the pause button, perhaps he leans back and thinks, "Would I rather use my first draft choice as a head coach on the next Reggie White or the next Barry Sanders?"

After leaving Philadelphia, White helped turn around a franchise and won a Super Bowl ring with Green Bay.

Sanders was one of the greatest and most exciting runners in history, but the closest he got to the Super Bowl was a big-screen television.

Still, White wouldn't have won a Super Bowl without Brett Favre. Perhaps Sanders would be wearing a Super Bowl ring if he had played with White or Favre.

Good predicament

The Texans say they're torn right now. And they say it with a straight face. When they say it, their fingers aren't crossed. Their toes aren't, either.

Perhaps owner Bob McNair really was serious last week when he said the Texans believe Williams can make the same kind of impact on defense that Bush can make on offense.

Williams plays the position that's ticketed for Anthony Weaver, the most expensive free agent signed this offseason.

But Williams is so good he can play the right side. In passing situations, imagine a scenario where Williams would move to left end when Weaver moved inside. Antwan Peek would come off the bench.

Bush, of course, could line up in the I-formation or one- and two-back sets. He also could line up at wide receiver or in the slot.

He can also return kickoffs and punts, which Williams can't do. At least, we don't think he can.

So this is what we've come to: Bush vs. Williams instead of Bush vs. Young.

I personally dont buy it.....I think its doing a remarkable job of deflecting attention away from where they really want to go. I think its vince young...but it could very well be DBrick.

I think you missed the most important piece of the article:
No matter how much the Texans insist they've fallen in love with Williams and that it's not just a spring fling, here's something we can't get beyond: that the Texans' interest in Williams will disappear if Segal calls and says something like, "I really would like to get this deal done before the draft so Reggie and I can parade around Manhattan next week like a float in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade."

Do not underestimate what is going through Segal's head right now. Bush will either be a Texan, at the right price, or a Jet.

Kaiser Toro said:
Do not underestimate what is going through Segal's head right now. Bush will either be a Texan, at the right price, or a Jet.

So much hype, man. Braylon Edwards @ #3 ($40 for 5). Alex Smith ( $50 for 6). Agents get a bigger cut from endorsements (NYC vs. Houston). ESPN. Recent signability shenanigans dating to Tim Couch draft. Eli Manning. Mike Vick. Ronnie Brown @ #2 ($34 for 5). I imagine all these things are dancing around that cranium, pushing his demand to a minimum of 50+... Segal sees it as, Reggie will play for whomever at his price.

Vince is a native Texan with no comparison in today's league, this is what drives teams away from him. Reggie would touch the ball 10-15 times a game, Vince would touch it every play. The odds are on Vince's side, he dominated more than Reggie all last season (Vince only played in 3 complete games due to blowouts). Vince could have had more 400-500 yard games had he played all four quarters. It is not fair to Vince to say he had one good game, he's been dominating at every level. Vince is the face of Houston, he must be a Texan!

trutxn said:
Vince is a native Texan with no comparison in today's league, this is what drives teams away from him. Reggie would touch the ball 10-15 times a game, Vince would touch it every play. The odds are on Vince's side, he dominated more than Reggie all last season (Vince only played in 3 complete games due to blowouts). Vince could have had more 400-500 yard games had he played all four quarters. It is not fair to Vince to say he had one good game, he's been dominating at every level. Vince is the face of Houston, he must be a Texan!

Uh, no. You should have tried to make this argument about two months ago when VY was still a possibility...enjoy watching him elsewhere.

eltoro said:
Uh, no. You should have tried to make this argument about two months ago when VY was still a possibility...enjoy watching him elsewhere.

Still alot of time...anything can happen. And as the lack of a consensus here, and the current surging popularity of mario williams, nobody has a freaking clue what is in the texans mind. It might be vince.

swtbound07 said:
I personally dont buy it.....I think its doing a remarkable job of deflecting attention away from where they really want to go. I think its vince young...but it could very well be DBrick.

Still holding onto that faint glimmer of hope huh? The choice has come down to Reggie vs. Mario, even former staunch Vince supporters like John McClain have come to admit this.

MorKnolle said:
Still holding onto that faint glimmer of hope huh? The choice has come down to Reggie vs. Mario, even former staunch Vince supporters like John McClain have come to admit this.

nobody will break my position until the name on the card is called thank you very much

MorKnolle said:

What's the deal?? why is it so hard to believe there are fans that would like to draft Vince?? Why is it so bad that a guy hopes his favorite team drafts his favorite player??

he won't get past arizona. detroit is a possibility only because matt millen is unpredictable on draft day.

thunderkyss said:
What's the deal?? why is it so hard to believe there are fans that would like to draft Vince?? Why is it so bad that a guy hopes his favorite team drafts his favorite player??

I have no problem with people wanting to draft Vince, but he said he doesn't believe the facts that Bush and Mario are starting contract negotiations with the Texans while Vince, D'Brick, and everyone else are not, and that it is all some elaborate coverup and that we are going to take Vince.

Back