Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 04-18-2006   #1
HowBoutThemCowboys!
All Pro

Rep Power: 30 HowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performer
Default Cowboys sign former Texan S Marcus Coleman

This signing reminds me alot like Aaron Glenn's from last year.

I've definetly heard him alot from you guys over here, can anyone fill me in on him?

BY CLARENCE E. HILL JR.

STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

IRVING - The Cowboys have agreed to terms with former Houston Texans safety Marcus Coleman.
Coleman, a former cornerback who moved to safety, is a step toward addressing the team’s wish for a true free safety to play opposite strong safety Roy Williams.
Safety is still a position the Cowboys might consider in the draft. They brought in two safety prospects - Texas’ Michael Huff and Tennessee’s Jason Allen - for visits on Monday and Tuesday.
Both are potential first-round draft choices. While the Cowboys would have to make a major trade to move up to get Huff, who is considered a top 10 pick, Allen could be there when the Cowboys pick at No. 18.
However, the signing of Coleman and the re-signing of 2005 starter Keith Davis means that the Cowboys don’t have to reach to address a need in the draft. They can accept the pick or the deals that come to them.
Joining the Cowboys is a homecoming for Coleman, who played at Lake Highlands High School before starring at Texas Tech and becoming a fifth-round pick of the New York Jets in 1996. He will be reunited in Dallas with Cowboys coach Bill Parcells and cornerback Aaron Glenn. He played under Parcells with the Jets. He played with Glenn with the Jets and Texans.
The 10-year veteran played cornerback for the first eight years of his career before moving to free safety in 2004 with the Texans. He has started 27 games at free safety in the past two years. Coleman’s addition continues a busy off-season for the Cowboys who have now signed a club-record eight free agents, including receiver Terrell Owens, guard Kyle Kosier, tackle Jason Fabini, linebacker Akin Ayodele, linebacker Rocky Boiman, kicker Mike Vanderjadt and tight end Ryan Hannam.

Dallas Cowboys- 5 Time World Champions
HowBoutThemCowboys! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006   #2
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1365 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Absolutely sucked last year. I think he's on the downhill of his career.

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006   #3
HowBoutThemCowboys!
All Pro

Rep Power: 30 HowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performer

That's what it appears from the stats!

Dallas Cowboys- 5 Time World Champions
HowBoutThemCowboys! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006   #4
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Up until last year, he was a fantastic coverage guy who pulled down a lot of interceptions. Last year, he was horrible in coverage, was a terrible tackler (he and Pbuch were both benched for their lack of tackling), and an all around poor member of our tema. Maybe you can bring out the old Coleman
Old 04-18-2006   #5
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Glenn had a little left in the tank.

Coleman is running on a wound up rubber band at the moment.

He moved to safety because he had lost a step, and he can't tackle so that doesn't leave much to offer.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006   #6
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1341 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowBoutThemCowboys!
Coleman, a former cornerback who moved to safety, is a step toward addressing the team’s wish for a true free safety to play opposite strong safety Roy Williams.
Ha! Better plan on drafting a "true free safety".
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326354 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I can't believe the Cowboys pulled the trigger...... I didn't think it would happen, considering.

But maybe, just maybe, Bill knows the guy, and blame his poor performance on our lack of a Pass Rush.
Year before last, Roy Williams' cover skills were exposed..... some of the fans were ready to trade him. But because they were week at the corner positions, Roy was out of his element............... not allowed to play his hard hitting style.

Maybe Bill sees the same thing in Coleman. If we get our pass rush on, maybe, maybe PBuc can play the game that made him a 1st round pick.

Here's hoping.
Old 04-18-2006   #8
4th&inches
Rookie

Well I'm not sure how I feel about this pick up for the boys. The only good thing about it is that it was from what I saw only a one year deal so if he sucks they dont have to worry about him next year and if he plays like he was playing years past then it could be a very very good thing so we'll see!
Old 04-18-2006   #9
Lucky

Rep Power: 212249 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
...Roy was out of his element............... not allowed to play his hard hitting style.
As opposed to Marcus Coleman's no hitting style? Yep, that'll be a great safety tandem.
Old 04-18-2006   #10
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

I'd be concerned only if he makes the final roster. Given his drop-off in production and that he only signed a one year deal, there's no guarantee he'll be around come September.

Until then, he's only insurance just as Dixon and Scott were at the end of last year.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006   #11
c5demon
Rookie

Going to be a really good game in Oct.!
c5demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006   #12
DFAN
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
I'd be concerned only if he makes the final roster. Given his drop-off in production and that he only signed a one year deal, there's no guarantee he'll be around come September.

Until then, he's only insurance just as Dixon and Scott were at the end of last year.

I believe he'll make the final roster.
Old 04-18-2006   #13
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFAN
I believe he'll make the final roster.
Then come '07, we're going to see our trend continue. Still looking for an answer at FS.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006   #14
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

from www.kffl.com

Cowboys | Contract update: M. Coleman
Tue, 18 Apr 2006 18:57:36 -0700

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports Dallas Cowboys S Marcus Coleman signed a one-year contract with a base salary of $810,000 to join the team.

Cowboys | Coleman expected to play mostly at safety
Tue, 18 Apr 2006 19:00:11 -0700

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Dallas Cowboys plan to use S Marcus Coleman mostly at safety, but his experience at cornerback could come in handy. Since he has played both safety positions and cornerback, Coleman could end up being a "swing man" in the secondary. At 6-feet-2 and 215 pounds, he brings more size to the secondary, too.
Old 04-19-2006   #15
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
In my best Joel buschbaum...

[brooklyn nasal]"Looks like Tarzan, hits like Jane."[/brooklyn nasal]
I was thinking something along those lines...
Old 04-19-2006   #16
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Looks like Parcells is hoping that this signing brings out the old Coleman, but from what we've seen last season that version of Coleman is all but a memory. He absolutely quit on his team last year and lost his job to a 6th round draft pick. It would definately be in the best interest of the Cowboys to draft a guy like Jimmmy Williams to take over the FS position. Coleman may surprise people though, and he might be rejuvenated for a year to play with Glenn once again.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006   #17
texan279
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
Looks like Parcells is hoping that this signing brings out the old Coleman, but from what we've seen last season that version of Coleman is all but a memory. He absolutely quit on his team last year and lost his job to a 6th round draft pick. It would definately be in the best interest of the Cowboys to draft a guy like Jimmmy Williams to take over the FS position. Coleman may surprise people though, and he might be rejuvenated for a year to play with Glenn once again.
I guess I wish him the best either way. I'll always remember that 102 yard INT return for a TD he had against the Chiefs in 2004 though.
Old 04-19-2006   #18
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 140741 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

coleman was bad last year, but i disagree as to why. it looked to me like he wasnt trying & just didnt care. switching positions, losing glenn, poor coaching, & being on a team that was obviously going to be bad were probably the motive for his weak play IMO. i'm not sure what's left in the tank, or if the switch to FS was a bad idea, but that's the impression that i got. if that is the case, it's deffinately something parcells could fix.

i do think that he's talented enough to still play however, and would make any roster as atleast a backup.
Old 04-19-2006   #19
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter
coleman was bad last year, but i disagree as to why. it looked to me like he wasnt trying & just didnt care. switching positions, losing glenn, poor coaching, & being on a team that was obviously going to be bad were probably the motive for his weak play IMO. i'm not sure what's left in the tank, or if the switch to FS was a bad idea, but that's the impression that i got. if that is the case, it's deffinately something parcells could fix.

i do think that he's talented enough to still play however, and would make any roster as atleast a backup.

I agree with some of your statement ..... Bad year , Position switch wasnt good for him , playing for the worst team in the league ....But I cant agree w/ the poor coaching . Jon Hoke is one of if not the best DB coaches in the NFL ....
I think the main problem is he just didnt care , that became apparent to me when he was out drinking and driving a 3000 lb bullet down Kirby and running into a tree ..... Missing practices and work-outs also point me in that direction . These are things I expect from a rookie , not an establsihed veteran .
I also agree that he still has the TALENT to play in the NFL ..... but that he doesnt have the HUNGER to do so

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006   #20
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

The poor ole Arlington Cowboys are so caught up with themselves and their
image, in this article from the Dallas Morning News about picking up Coleman,
the reader has to get to the fifth paragraph before he finds out that Coleman was cut by the Texans. In the story headline, they just say Coleman
was "Tech-ex", in reference to his college. I guess they don't even think the
Texans are worthy of being in the same pro league as them. Whoa, they had
better win that home game in North Texas against the Texans, if not they
might have to finally admit they are picking up discarded scraps from the states other team.
http://www.cowboysplus.com/topstoryn....4b64011a.html
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read