Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-16-2006   #1
bkimble
Rookie

Default Reggie Bush (Best RB of the ESPN Era)?

There is a poll on ESPN for best RB of the ESPN era and the choices are:

Herschel Walker
Bo Jackson
Barry Sanders AND...
Reggie Bush

That's sick joke, right. What about Eric Dickerson or Rick Williams? Rick Williams broke the all-time college rushing record and had more yards and touchdowns in his JR and SR seasons than RB had.

Are they serious? Reggie Bush one of the top 4 RBs in college football over the last 25 years? Are you freaking kidding me? This guy is nowhere near Mr. Dickerson, Rick Williams or Bo freaking Jackson. In fact, I'm not sure he was the best RB on his team at USC.

There's a reason he was not in the pivotal offensive play for USC in their biggest game last season. That is inexcusable, and really shouldn't matter that White was on his team also. It's just ridiculous to put Bush's career in the same stratosphere as Walker, Jackson, and Sanders. Those people at ESPN are on crack!

Bush is getting blown up very similar to Tond mandarich did. A pretty good player being hyped as the best player of his generation, (what a joke)and he's not even close. What's next from those clowns at ESPN, that the Bush USC football team is the greatest in college football history! Oh, I'm sorry, they tried that act once, then they ran into somebody name Vince Young.
Way to go ESPN.
bkimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006   #2
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

he lead the country in total yards and won a heisman and was a finalist for another and has a national championship. what's the problem here? oh, you're a longhorn homer.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006   #3
JAXwithanX
Veteran

Bo Jackson....no doubt. I don't care how short his career got cut.
JAXwithanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006   #4
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna
he lead the country in total yards and won a heisman and was a finalist for another and has a national championship. what's the problem here? oh, you're a longhorn homer.

Yeah basically that's it. You read the posting history and do the math and that's pretty much what you have to conclude.

It's getting late and the draft is fast approaching. Vince isn't in the Texans plans anymore and that's got to be clear to even the die hards at this point. That's why you get a new thread based on a stupid poll that ESPN put up.

Was it a dumb poll with too few choices?

Yeah it was.

Does Reggie Bush belong on that list of possible choices if that list included everyone who should be in the running for that label (probably 10-15 players could make cases for that)?

Yeah he does.

You only get the real outrage in the post because he's going to be the Texans first pick and Vince is going to go play in Oakland.
Old 04-16-2006   #5
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

al davis doesn't want a QB and he likes cutler more anyway. that being said...........

i'm going to have to say hershel walker is the best in the ESPN era. the team was 10 times better with him and won a national championship. i'd put bush 2nd.
Old 04-16-2006   #6
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle

ESPN just plain sucks.

Marshal Faulk was insane as a player in college. Reggie Bush is the first guy the media ADDED his punt returns, Kick off return yards along with carries and catches.
Goldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006   #7
bad
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 bad is on the Pro-Bowl ballotbad is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
...Was it a dumb poll with too few choices?

Yeah it was.

Does Reggie Bush belong on that list of possible choices if that list included everyone who should be in the running for that label (probably 10-15 players could make cases for that)?

Yeah he does.

You only get the real outrage in the post because he's going to be the Texans first pick and Vince is going to go play in Oakland.
Yeah you do.
bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-16-2006   #8
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 87068 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Are you a USC homer?
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006   #9
Johnny Utah
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns
Are you a USC homer?
Obviously, because a Houston Texans message board is filled with USC fans.
Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006   #10
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns
Are you a USC homer?
i hate them actually. although i do hate texas a bit more. not a huge fan of mama mack brown, let's just say.
Old 04-16-2006   #11
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 314423 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

yikes.

Our team is most likely going to pick Reggie Bush (as far as the general outside consensus), so fans reading up on the player and having information on one of our potential top picks seems to be a normal thing. Actually educated, really.

If anyone is a homer it should be Texans fans, because whoever they pick is probably going to be one talented player. Why not just be happy with who we get? Especially because all of us are completely powerless to influence the process anyway.

I'm freakin' excited about upgrading our team. Our no. 1 pick will be immediately cheered and welcomed by this Texans fan.
Old 04-17-2006   #12
TreWardTxn
Veteran

As a running back Reggie Bush didn't perform better than Adrian Peterson during the 2004 season (tag that as a "Longhorn homer" argument), so I don't see how you could possibly rank him as one of the best college running backs unless you're talking about the last 5 years.

He is dynamic, perhaps the best catching or one of the fastest running backs of the ESPN era, but I don't see how he could possibly make a top four list. Other reasons, such as prominence of players around him, and lack of carries have to eliminate him from contention...
TreWardTxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006   #13
Frank_The_Tank
Veteran

Bush is not even ranked in the top ten in all time rushing but guess who is, DeAngelo Williams! I still do not understand why everyone is all over Reggie Bush, he is not the best athlete in this draft (my opinion), he is not even the top running back in this draft (NCAA Opinion). I know that you Bush fans are going to be screaming about this post but I am just showing the all time rushers, please do not attack me, you guys run in packs on this message board.

1.Ron Dayne, Wis. / 6,397

2.Ricky Williams, Texas / 6,279

3.Tony Dorsett, Pitt. / 6,082

4.Charles White, USC / 5,598

5.T. Prentice, Miami-Ohio / 5,596

6.Cedric Benson, Texas / 5,540

7.L. Tomlinson, TCU / 5,263

8.Herschel Walker, Georgia. / 5,259

9.Archie Griffin, Ohio St. / 5,177

10.D. Williams, U of Memphis / 5,145
Frank_The_Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006   #14
Trapped
Veteran

Bo Jackson, he was way ahead of his era.
Most users ever online was 1,493, 04-28-2006 at 09:04 PM
Trapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006   #15
bkimble
Rookie

Quote:
Longhorn homer my ***. Would you take Reggie Bush over Eric Dickerson or Bo Jackson if you have the number one pick? Simple question.
bkimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006   #16
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkimble
Longhorn homer my ***. Would you take Reggie Bush over Eric Dickerson or Bo Jackson if you have the number one pick? Simple question.
what's what have to do with it? it's about what they did in college, not their NFL potential. if anything ron dayne should be on here over either one of them.
Old 04-17-2006   #17
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

too put RB in the class with with those guys is a bit questionable, but he is the flavor of the draft, next year it will be someone else maybe Brady Quinn, AP, maybe the next year when West Virginia's John Slaton comes out he will get the same hype since he is the same type of scat back.

It makes me laugh to see RB in a list with Barry Sanders- quite possibly the best RB of all time but I will say second or third to Sweetness and Jim Brown. Also look up Barry Sanders stats at OKST, the guy was a stud. RB produced for two years that is all and the first real year of production he was not much of a HB. I think he will do wonders for our team if he is the pick and we can quickly start winning with the extra offensive weapons, but comparing Reggie Bush who has not even put up the best stats in a season to a guy like Barry Sanders or for that matter Bo Jackson who if he would have had any longevity would have been in the top 3 all time. Bo was Larry Johnson with LT's speed.

Freakin hilarious...
Old 04-17-2006   #18
Apoch
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_The_Tank
Bush is not even ranked in the top ten in all time rushing but guess who is, DeAngelo Williams! I still do not understand why everyone is all over Reggie Bush, he is not the best athlete in this draft (my opinion), he is not even the top running back in this draft (NCAA Opinion). I know that you Bush fans are going to be screaming about this post but I am just showing the all time rushers, please do not attack me, you guys run in packs on this message board.

1.Ron Dayne, Wis. / 6,397

2.Ricky Williams, Texas / 6,279

3.Tony Dorsett, Pitt. / 6,082

4.Charles White, USC / 5,598

5.T. Prentice, Miami-Ohio / 5,596

6.Cedric Benson, Texas / 5,540

7.L. Tomlinson, TCU / 5,263

8.Herschel Walker, Georgia. / 5,259

9.Archie Griffin, Ohio St. / 5,177

10.D. Williams, U of Memphis / 5,145
That's a worthless argument. I may be wrong, but every one of the players on that list played through their senior season. None of them left early as Bush did.

Furthermore, if Bush isn't the best athlete in the draft he is definitely top 5. Who is a better athlete, DeAngelo Williams? LenDale White? Please! Bush has two years of anklebreaking, eyepopping highlights that a lot of backs wish they had in their entire respective careers. He has proven he is one of the best athletes in the draft time and again, and his measurables back that up. How many other people in the draft ran a sub 4.35 40, benched 25 reps, verted 40.5", and ran a workout as smoothly as he did? The only guys I can think of that even compare are Vernon Davis, Brodrick Bunkley, Mario Williams maybe Chad Jackson, Michael Huff, and D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

You can make the argument that he may not fit in Houston, or that there is a better pick, but to try to bash his obvious physical gifts is pathetic.

Don't feel attacked, I am not a Reggie Bush homer. I am not even saying "take him/don't take him" in this post. This is just to say that we can discuss players and picks without downgrading what they can really do.
Apoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006   #19
Frank_The_Tank
Veteran

O.K. calling out the top ten Running Back’s in the history of the NCAA is a worthless comment. Look at some point you Bush guys have to get over the fact that not everyone agrees with you. Saying a guy is the greatest Running Back to ever come out when he does not even fall in the top ten all time in rushing, based on his pro day is not a very strong base for an argument. There have been many people have awesome pro-day/combine workout who are not considered top ten. Justin Fargas, USC Running Back, put up identical numbers at his pro-day and he is not, he is also a flop in the NFL. Bush did not post the numbers on the field, and on that base alone he will never be considered a top ten or even a top 20. DeAngelo Williams had just as many Ankle Breaking moves as Bush, in fact there are many running backs in the last 20 years who have had just as good of highlite reels. DeAngleo Williams post a TD at 80 yards for his longest of his career, Bush is at 76. Vince Young had more Ankle Breaking moves than Bush and you guys hate him with a passion. In fact your hate for him has become borderline psychotic. I was not Bashing Bush anyways, I just said he is no where near the best Running Back to come out in the last 20 years in my opinion, heck he does not even break the top ten in History.
Frank_The_Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006   #20
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

lol @ young having more "ankle-breaking moves" than bush. hysterical.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read