Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-16-2006   #1
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default I'm BAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCKKKKK!!!!!

Okay. So I gave up Houstontexans.com for lent like a good Catholic boy. I tell you what, that was a real hard thing to do esepecially with all the deals the Texans have made. When we were doing the Eric Moulds deal I was pulling my hair out trying to see what everyone thought of the deal as well as the other deals.

So here is my point to my thread since I want to do some catching up. What all do yall think about our offseason?

Do you or don't you like the deals for Anthony Weaver, Jeb Putzier, Mike Flanagan, Eric Moulds? Do you think any of these players will make an immediate impact to our team? Is there any of the no names we got going to be of any significance? Talk to me yall I missed yall.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006   #2
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I gave up burgers and soda.

Basically, we got Moulds, Mathis has an attitude problem, Carr still sucks but is is inspired, and scrubs were signed.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006   #3
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

What's the deal with Mathis?
Old 04-16-2006   #4
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21460 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
What's the deal with Mathis?
He's constipated.

The Texan Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006   #5
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Apparently Mathis has become a little big for his pants, what with making the Pro Bowl and everything, and the new receiving??? coach is very young, so Mathis isn't listening very well. We're hoping Moulds (experience) will rub off on him some.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006   #6
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Guys. I appreciate the humor. I do. Please understand though that I would like to have some detail since it has been a very long fourty days and nights. What's the deal with Mathis other than a need for Ex Lax or Metamucil?
Old 04-16-2006   #7
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I gave up my New Year's resolutions.
Old 04-16-2006   #8
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What all do yall think about our offseason?
Stupendous

Quote:
Do you or don't you like the deals for Anthony Weaver, Jeb Putzier, Mike Flanagan, Eric Moulds?
Happy with every one of them--especially Flanagan and Moulds.

Quote:
Do you think any of these players will make an immediate impact to our team?
YES, ALL OF THEM!!!
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006   #9
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

In a recent radio interview, someone...mclain I think.. was talking about how Mathis is hard headed and not taking to coaching. he apparently thinks he knows everything.

Some people have "theorized" that it is our new young coach that has caused Mathis' new found hard headedness... but no one else appears to be having issues with the new guy.

Also, at the Pro Bowl.. mathis showed up late for some stuff..made everyone wait on him..etc..etc.. And apparently he has shown a bit of cockyness before.

SO.. basically.. we are wondering if he will learn from Moulds and this new staff.. and take the next step towards being a great WR.. or if he will just stay as a kick returner until his contract is up, and move on.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006   #10
SA Fan
Rookie

Welcome Back, El Tejano

I rememebr you did something similiar last year for lent.

It is a commendable thing you do giving up this addicting messageboard this time of year.

The last time I gave something up for lent, I gave up chicharones.

There is a chicharone factory in my family's home town and one hard summer earning my next years tuition, I practically lived off of chicharones and diet pepsi.

So Chicharones had become a major comfort food for me.

I haven't eaten them since going cold turkey for 40 days.

I'm still debating wheter it was a good move or not.

As for offseason moves:

Defense is still up in the air, but things look more positive than anything else. A lot of comments you will hear about the players being pumped are coming from the defense. These guys will have a fire in their belly and could be a sweet thing to see next season. They added an immediate starter DE and some DL and LB players who will at least will be quality depth. There is still talk of need for a free safety on the boards, but also talk of seeing what our young corps of secondary can do with a decent pass rush. My bet is something to be proud of.

Offense looks to have improved as we have leanred Joppru is taking passes from Carr regularly and Putzier was signed. We can look forward to having a TE passing threat like the rest of the NFL next year. Initial indications are that the new coachign staff are moving the OL players either to the positions that they held before coming to the texans (McKinney) or the position that the MB bigwigs claim would be their best position (Pitts). They also brought in a big-name player which should bolster our OL immediately.

Coaches are a big question mark but from what I have heard from Kubiak, he understands his role well and is can articulate to those around him very well.
The OC Calhoun had an interview in SA and I found him to be honest, concise and explains things very well. The people under him will do very well if he talks to them like he talks to the media. And no one on the coaching staff have used tired cliches or has surmised things as a "need to execute."

All in all Things are looking better.
Better Than Bucs
SA Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006   #11
JAXwithanX
Veteran

If we draft Bush we can release his *** and let him start training for the Olympics for all i care. If all those things are true....well....players like him very rarely change, lets hope Moulds can do something....cause it never happens just by itself.
JAXwithanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006   #12
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Looking on the board, I haven't seen many Fire Casserly threads. Does this mean that we all on the message board have agreed with Casserly's moves? I hear about us attempting to draft Mario Williams. I don't like it unless we trade down and get him. What do yall feel?
Old 04-17-2006   #13
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

word has it that Casserly is getting fired right after the draft.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006   #14
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Looking on the board, I haven't seen many Fire Casserly threads. Does this mean that we all on the message board have agreed with Casserly's moves? I hear about us attempting to draft Mario Williams. I don't like it unless we trade down and get him. What do yall feel?
Williams is rated by most scouts right now as the #2 prospect in the draft, just slightly behind Bush. What this means is that if we trade down, we'd really only be able to go to #2 and still be sure we could pick him up. Since we haven't started any negotiations with Ferguson or Hawk, I'm pretty sure the meeting with Williams was an indication that he would be #1 if we decided to go defense
Old 04-17-2006   #15
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
I gave up my New Year's resolutions.
Thanks Runner, now I have the infamous coffee all over the keyboard again!
Old 04-17-2006   #16
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 833 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He' made too many past mistakes - still needs to get his P45.
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006   #17
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Well...not a whole lot has happened. We signed some pieces we belive will be key to our team like Flanagan and Moulds.

Mathis outgrew his pants, but apparently it was just a minor issue and there was maybe 5 seconds of talk on a sound-bite about it.

Apparently Bush was asking for more money than Jesus himself, so we converted and started talking to Mario Williams. We're still not sure if this was just a ploy to lower Bush's asking price, or if we are actually serious about Mario at #1. Looking back on the 2001 draft, a lot of people would take Peppers over Carr, why not take someone better than Peppers now?

Some prospects have fallen off the charts, most noticibly Ko Simpson...now realisticly expected to go in the third.

The Carr vs. Young debate has heated up a good deal, while the Young vs. Bush debate has cooled off. Most people accept Bush, but a good majority (75% according to some math done in another thread by me) of people want to trade down and realize that is best for the TEAM.

O, and I gave up sugar. That was hard.
Old 04-17-2006   #18
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

How much exactly is Bush asking for. I want Young, would love to have Bush, would settle for Williams only if we trade down and get him.
Old 04-17-2006   #19
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Numbers are still all over the place (rumors mostly). most likely seems to be somehwere around the tune of 5/6 years at 55 million with 25+ guaranteed
Some reports have claimed RB is asking for 85 million, however, and so this could be a potential problem

As for VY, RB, MW debate, its been pretty much agreed on that the Texan's aren't really considering VY. He still has the few supporters, but based on his "readiness to play" factor, and the fact that all indications throughout the press conferences have been that Kubiak loves DC. In fact, Moulds even said "Carr's position as unquestioned QB of this team is one reason I came here" Is this the right decision? I guess we'll find out

I just really hope money isn't what prevents us from taking RB #1. There some b esome sort of formula for calculating the #1 player's value based on previous years and position, so we could avoid this type of worry
Old 04-17-2006   #20
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Well it has always been his dream of being the #1 pick so he might bend for that. I just think that this team could use a playmaker on offense other than Andre. I know Moulds is here but for how long? Davis isn't a team leader and Bush would end up being the face of the Franchise.

People laugh when I say this but I believe that by having Reggie Bush it will catapult us to being in the playoffs as the NFL would have to put that guy into the playoffs some way or the other. I just see us getting a few more calls our way than before. I know laugh if you will, but after last seasons playoffs I am convinced the NFL does alot to help teams get where they want them to be.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read