Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-16-2006   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default for those that say Reggie is too small

I am not an advocate of drafting Bush.. I say if the offer isn't right we take Bush, if we get a knockout offer, then we trade down.. that is all

but for the Argument of Bush is too small..

check out the sizes of all the RB's coming out.. I mean there isn't much difference between them
White is 6'2 235 but other than that all the backs IMO are about the same size

http://www.draftboardinsider.com/position/RB.html

If Bush is too "small" then basically most of them are too... does 5 lbs really make a difference?
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006   #2
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

yes 5 pounds makes more difference than all the tea in china.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006   #3
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

well it's not the weight so much. it's more that he's pretty lean all over. kinda like how cadillac williams is. and cadillac had some injury concerns...
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006   #4
tiger06
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna
well it's not the weight so much. it's more that he's pretty lean all over. kinda like how cadillac williams is. and cadillac had some injury concerns...
He was run into the ground the first few weeks. He had something like 37 carries one game, didn't he?
tiger06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

On average (ignoring DD white) Reggie is 8 pounds smaller than the rest of the top 10 RBs. Is this an issue? nope, not in my mind. Why? Because he isn't going to be used like a between teh tackles ball control back. He'll get the ball 15 times a game and hopefully have 3-5 receptions per game. With his elusiveness and outside running, he probably won't be tackled nearly that many times, and therefore the extra few pounds aren't as big of a deal
Old 04-16-2006   #6
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger06
He was run into the ground the first few weeks. He had something like 37 carries one game, didn't he?
yeah, big mistake by gruden. needless to say, i don't forsee that happening with bush.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006   #7
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
I am not an advocate of drafting Bush.. I say if the offer isn't right we take Bush, if we get a knockout offer, then we trade down.. that is all

but for the Argument of Bush is too small..

check out the sizes of all the RB's coming out.. I mean there isn't much difference between them
White is 6'2 235 but other than that all the backs IMO are about the same size

http://www.draftboardinsider.com/position/RB.html

If Bush is too "small" then basically most of them are too... does 5 lbs really make a difference?
Yeah well and don't mean to cross swords, but those guys won't be getting a fifty million dollar contract with xxxx millions up front....in a postion which has a shelf life of about five years. I KNEW Ladainian could avoid hits and take care of himself. I don't KNOW that about reggie. I know he is a rare tallent. But again, and I'll stand by this till I'm proved wrong, 201 is still 201. I hear he can pass block. I hear he can ram it up the middle. We'll see.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-16-2006   #8
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I think Cadillac had 87 or 88 carries the first three weeks, which averages to about 29 carries per game. No one in the NFL can sustain carrying the ball 29 or 30 times per game over a long period of the season.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006   #9
tiger06
Veteran

yeah, I don't think we'd have to worry about Bush getting anything more than 18-20 carries a game.
tiger06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006   #10
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109600 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger06
yeah, I don't think we'd have to worry about Bush getting anything more than 18-20 carries a game.
Bush isn't an every down player so tiger is right.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006   #11
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Bush isn't probably going to be an every down running back, but he will be an every down player. There is a big difference and that is what makes him so valuable.
Old 04-16-2006   #12
LoneStarState
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns
Bush doesn't have to be an every down "running back." He'll have his fair share of receptions too. So in all - he may touch the ball 20-25 times a game. He's versatile - that's what makes him so valuable...
Old 04-16-2006   #13
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns
I guess former MVP and 2 time offensive player of the year, Marshall Faulk, wasn't an every down player either.
Old 04-17-2006   #14
texplayer2
Veteran

13 more Days
texplayer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006   #15
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

There's a thread around here with size stats on all the great RBs, and Bush is bigger than a lot of them. A smaller, quick and agile player has so many advantages at the line of scrimmage. Add in Bush's potential and the instinct he's shown so far, and I'd love to have a dynamic player like that winning games for our team. We haven't had a dominating football player like that in Houston since #34. I think we're due.
Old 04-17-2006   #16
TreWardTxn
Veteran

He's light, runs upright, and isn't built like a running back at his base. I'm sure Bush will be good, but there is no way Bush can be a successful running back without taking contact and absorbing substantial blows. To believe anything otherwise means you expect him to go yard everytime he touches the ball, or that he'll run out of bounds every play (hopefully 20 yards downfield) instead of fighting for the extra yards. If he can do that, then he'll be the greatest ever, no question...
TreWardTxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006   #17
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
yeah, big mistake by gruden. needless to say, i don't forsee that happening with bush.
Maybe a mistake by Gruden, but it helped my fantasy team!

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006   #18
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Bush will be fine for what he will be used for in the NFL. He is definately more slight than Portis was as a rookie, and he is built pretty lean. Reggie is muscular though for his size. He will gain 5-10lbs just like every player does pretty much as they mature, but he will never be a big guy. As long as we dont overwork him like we did DD last year then we should be fine.
Old 04-17-2006   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
No one would be calling Reggie Bush too small, if he wieghed 215 @ 6'0". Carnell Williams is listed @ 5'11" 217lbs........

It is weight, with respect to height. on the original list of Running backs in the draft, provided by the OP, the only back that is close to Reggie in size, is Brian Calhoun, 5'9" 195lbs.......... there are very few Running backs in the NFL under 200lbs...... Warrick Dunn is the only guy that comes to my mind.

Running backs, and all you Reggie Fans should know this, should weigh 200lbs, @ 5'10". The taller they get, the more they need to weigh. The tallest Running back you'll probably see, will be 6'3", he should weigh right at 230lbs.

Reggie Bush is taller than 5'10"(if he's actually 5'10" @ 200lbs, then he isn't too light) by 2", so he should be at least 10lbs over 200lbs...... 210lbs. if that was his natural weight, then I'd be happy with that. But knowing he has to work to get that high, I'd rather see him @ 215lbs.

Shaun Alexander is 5'11" by my numbers, he should weigh 205 or so. But he weighs 225, so he looks huge. even though he is only 5'11"
Mike Anderson, should weigh 210lbs, as he is 6'0", but he looks huge, @ 230lbs
Tiki Barber is listed at 5'10", @ 200lbs........ he is the right size. not to big, not too small.

Tatum Bell, 5"11" 218lbs, perfect
Michael Bennett, 5'9", 209lbs............ good weight, but being under 5'10", he is still questionable size.
Jerome Bettis, 5'11" 255lbs........... freaking Huge
Ronnie Brown, 6'0" 232.......... he's on the big size........ not quite huge, but big
Steven Davis, 6'0" 230lbs.......... same as Ronnie Brown.
Ron Dayne, 5-10 245lbs........ he didn't look that big in 2005, that is huge.
Corey Dillon, 6'1" 225lbs...... perfect....... IMHO, this is the prototypical RB
Reuban Droughns, 5'11" 215lbs........ perfect
Warrick Dunn,5'9" 180lbs..... this guy still shops in the young men's section.
Marshall Faulk, 5'10" 211lbs...... good size

Now, I'm not one of the guys saying Reggie Bush is too small. His height changes from week to week, and it's hard to nail down. But if he is 6'0", he should weigh 210-215lbs...... There are small guys that are successful in the NFL, but it's not the norm. Saying that a small running back will be succesful, is like saying a qurterback with a funny throwing motion will be succesful. Sure there are examples, but they are far & few between.

Saying that a back who hasn't carried the ball 20+ times in college, and who hasn't ran the ball between the tackles, will be successful, is like saying a QB, who has played primarily in the shotgun, will be successful. There are examples, but far & few between.

I've never seen, or heard of a franchise back, being taken with the #1 over all, and that guy didn't carry the ball 20+ times, or run between the tackles. But hey, maybe we're in a new era......

If we are going to rate these RunningBacks, 1 being most like an NFL running back, then D'Angelo Williams would be the top rated RunningBack. Reggie would be behind Addai somwhere.

Same thing with QBs. If you're going to rate them, 1 being most NFL like, then that is Matt Leinart.

If you're going to rate the RB, 1 being the most explosive, the most flashy, the biggest threat to college defenses........... then that would be Reggie Bush. No question, D'Angelo isn't even close.

If you're going to rate the QB, 1 being the most explosive, the most flashy, the biggest threat to college defenses......... then that guy is Vince Young, no question. Matt Leinart doesn't come close.

Now, I will say this. Regardles of Reggie Bush's size, his bench work proved he's a big guy, and I believe that helped his stock, much better than his 40 times....... every knew he was fast..... his size/strength was in question.

Vince's 40 couldn't hurt him.......... nobody thought he was particularly fast.
Old 04-17-2006   #20
bklatch
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
I guess former MVP and 2 time offensive player of the year, Marshall Faulk, wasn't an every down player either.
That is the difference. Marshall Faulk was an eeverydown back in college and the pros. RB was not in college and won't be in the pros. He is a 3rd down back at best.
bklatch is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read