Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-15-2006   #1
phan1
All Pro

Default What could we realistically get if we did trade down?

Well, what could we get? My assumption is that if we trade down to the 3-4 pick, we would get a 2nd rounder. Is that it?!? What the heck! For Reggie Bush, I would want a 2nd rounder, and an extra 1st round pick next year. At least! And I'm not sure what teams would give us that. Now that's what I would want. It seems like the "trade down" camp is more about drafting Mario Williams or D'Brick rather than getting more help. I don't think just getting an extra 2nd rounder would get us much more talent on our team than simply drafting Reggie Bush would.
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006   #2
bad
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 bad is on the Pro-Bowl ballotbad is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by phan1
What could we realistically get if we did trade down?
Screwed.

Signed,

Derrick Johnson
bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006   #3
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24423 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well, what could we get? My assumption is that if we trade down to the 3-4 pick, we would get a 2nd rounder. Is that it?!? What the heck! For Reggie Bush, I would want a 2nd rounder, and an extra 1st round pick next year. At least! And I'm not sure what teams would give us that. Now that's what I would want. It seems like the "trade down" camp is more about drafting Mario Williams or D'Brick rather than getting more help. I don't think just getting an extra 2nd rounder would get us much more talent on our team than simply drafting Reggie Bush would.
My best guess would be their #1 pick this year & next year, along with some combination of 2nd's, 3rds, and/or 4th's this year and/or next year.

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006   #4
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad
Screwed.

Signed,

Derrick Johnson
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006   #5
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If we traded with the Jets we would most likely get pick #4, #29, #35 for our #1 pick. It comes out pretty close on the trade chart with the Texans having a slight edge. With the draft being as deep as it is with talent the Texans could potentially get some really good players with those picks. We would look like this on draft day:

1st round #4 & #29
2nd round #33 & #35
3rd round #65 & #66

At #4 the Texans could still get VY, Leinart, D'Brick, Williams, Davis, Huff, or Hawk depending on who is there. After that the Texans could take OL, LB, DE, TE, FS or whatever. It would add depth to our team.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006   #6
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It seems like the "trade down" camp is more about drafting Mario Williams or D'Brick rather than getting more help.
That's probably the case with most of those that are actually posting a lot about Trading Down. I've been wanting to Trade Down all along, but I don't talk about that particular subject much because it just depends on what we get in return. I don't want them begging the other teams for a Trade Down and getting screwed, but I'd love to see a Trade Down that is worth it and still gets us Ferguson, Young, Hawk, Leinart, Willams, or especially still getting Bush, etc.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006   #7
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 114345 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

we'd get ATLEAST an additional pick inside the top 36, and next year's first rounder. the chargers did pretty well with that scenario, getting a starting qb (phillip rivers) two years ago, and last year's defensive rookie of the year & probowler (shawne merriman) with the giants' picks. atleast 5 very early first day picks, and two first round picks next year ... seems like a valid arguement to me. with 9+ early first day picks in two years, we could essentially build a team almost entirely from draftees who kubiak targets.

the ones wanting to trade down solely for d'brick or mario i doubt would have much of a problem taking either with the first pick. the trade down group as i understand it is entirely content with whoever's available (d'brick, hawk, davis, mario ... all studs) and upgrading overall team talent through as many early picks as possible in the draft.
Old 04-15-2006   #8
phan1
All Pro

Now that sounds a lot better than just getting a high 2nd rounder! That's a pretty sweet deal. I could honestly say that I wouldn't be upset at all if we did trade down. As long as it's Bush or Trade Down, I'm happy. The chance of getting Mario Williams along with either Winston Justice or Mangold?

But I'm sure the Jets might be having the same vision. I just don't see them giving that to us even for Reggie Bush. I think reality is setting in and that as good as Reggie Bush is, he's probably not worth 2 top of the line prospects. Especially when you're talking about a draft that's this good. I just don't see other teams willing to give us what we want to trade down on.
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006   #9
texman8
Veteran

Quote:
Now that sounds a lot better than just getting a high 2nd rounder! That's a pretty sweet deal. I could honestly say that I wouldn't be upset at all if we did trade down. As long as it's Bush or Trade Down, I'm happy. The chance of getting Mario Williams along with either Winston Justice or Mangold?

But I'm sure the Jets might be having the same vision. I just don't see them giving that to us even for Reggie Bush. I think reality is setting in and that as good as Reggie Bush is, he's probably not worth 2 top of the line prospects. Especially when you're talking about a draft that's this good. I just don't see other teams willing to give us what we want to trade down on.

Agreed. As much as I wouldn't mind a trade down; there are three basic problems in achieving that goal.

1. There are like 7 elite players in draft...Bush, Leinert, Young, Ferguson,Williams,Hawk,Davis....We shouldn't drop any lower in trade. We're only interested in Bush,Williams, Young. The depth in this draft hurts us...

2. The teams in these draft positions have their problems in filling their needs. Unless, someone is wiilling to gamble...trading with us probably won't happen.

3. Most likely, New Orleans should be that trade partner with these teams( Jets, Titans)...if it happens at all.

Last edited by texman8; 04-16-2006 at 01:10 AM.
texman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006   #10
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36873 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

Magic beans that lead to a goose which lays golden eggs!

Old 04-16-2006   #11
DominickDavisFan76
Veteran

Actually on a different thread someone was talking about trading to the Titans

I told them that it wouldnt happen.

But if we ever did we could still end up with reggie bush, because................The New Orleans Saints will take either Mario Williams or Dbrick, because they dont need a RB because they just resigned Deuce McAllister, and the Titans wont take him with the 1st pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, because it is pretty much a certain that they will take a QB.

That is where VY or possibly Leinart could be the #1 pick in the draft, So then I thought.... We get more picks and we still end up with Reggie Bush

WONT HAPPEN LOL
DominickDavisFan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006   #12
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 7197 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey
If we traded with the Jets we would most likely get pick #4, #29, #35 for our #1 pick. It comes out pretty close on the trade chart with the Texans having a slight edge. With the draft being as deep as it is with talent the Texans could potentially get some really good players with those picks. We would look like this on draft day:

1st round #4 & #29
2nd round #33 & #35
3rd round #65 & #66

At #4 the Texans could still get VY, Leinart, D'Brick, Williams, Davis, Huff, or Hawk depending on who is there. After that the Texans could take OL, LB, DE, TE, FS or whatever. It would add depth to our team.
I'd love that trade, but I really have to wonder why wouldn't the Jets love to stay w/ those picks and rebuild also? Someone has to really LOVE a certain guy or just feel he is the missing piece to their team. Most GMs advise that you shouldn't fall in love w/ one guy...it impedes your judgement...sounds like real love! As special as RB is, if Jets offer us 4, 29 & 35 we have to jump.

I'd be estatic with whoever we get at 4. We'd also have the bonus of really great choices at 29, 33, 35, 65 & 66. Simply awesome, if CC could pull that off.

Texan, back in Texas!
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006   #13
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

from what i hear, new jets coach eric mangini and his staff aren't the greatest at making smart decisions. apparently they've looked pretty bad during some of the offseason events. wouldn't surprise me if they made a ricky williams-type deal to get bush, assuming they really like him. i have no clue.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read