Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-14-2006   #1
DRAMA
All Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to DRAMA
Default Senior Bowl

I was watching the Senior Bowl last night (I still have it on TIVO) and saw some things that I thought were notable for our team:

Tamba Hali - NO ONE is mentioning Tamba Hali anymore because he had a bad pro-day but I'll tell ya this - that dude can play football. He bullrushed several guys fairly easily and looked pretty mobile actually.

Colledge, in that funky blue helmet, looked extremely agile and just seems to be a perfect fit for Kubes team. I think he'll be there in the 3rd. He, along with Eric Winston looked really good.

Daryl Tapp is a fast cat. He got blocked one time, twisted and then ran around and went up the middle and got to the QB. He has a serious motor and he's fast! If he's there in the 3rd, he'd be interesting. They say he may even fall into the 4th.

D'Qwell seemed to make some plays and seemed to read and react pretty well. However, I saw some lineman get to the second level and handle him pretty easily. I still like him though. He seemed pretty smart and instinctive.

I think Cedric Griffith is going to be a steal in this draft as will Kloppenstein, the TE from Colorado.

Anyway, was watchin it and thought I'd throw my thoughts out there. I still have it on TIVO....
DRAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006   #2
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 35118 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAMA
I was watching the Senior Bowl last night (I still have it on TIVO) and saw some things that I thought were notable for our team:

Tamba Hali - NO ONE is mentioning Tamba Hali anymore because he had a bad pro-day but I'll tell ya this - that dude can play football. He bullrushed several guys fairly easily and looked pretty mobile actually.

Colledge, in that funky blue helmet, looked extremely agile and just seems to be a perfect fit for Kubes team. I think he'll be there in the 3rd. He, along with Eric Winston looked really good.

Daryl Tapp is a fast cat. He got blocked one time, twisted and then ran around and went up the middle and got to the QB. He has a serious motor and he's fast! If he's there in the 3rd, he'd be interesting. They say he may even fall into the 4th.

D'Qwell seemed to make some plays and seemed to read and react pretty well. However, I saw some lineman get to the second level and handle him pretty easily. I still like him though. He seemed pretty smart and instinctive.

I think Cedric Griffith is going to be a steal in this draft as will Kloppenstein, the TE from Colorado.

Anyway, was watchin it and thought I'd throw my thoughts out there. I still have it on TIVO....

I did'nt get a chance to watch the senior bowl. How did D'Brick look? Who did he go up against??
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006   #3
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

I didn't get a chance to watch that, thanks for your analysis.
Old 04-14-2006   #4
DRAMA
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star
I did'nt get a chance to watch the senior bowl. How did D'Brick look? Who did he go up against??
He went against Manny Lawson, I believe. Lawson can get up field FAST! I didn't watch Brick too much. I was trying to watch the other guys that we may pick up in the later rounds. There were a lot of good players in this game. Tye Hill got beat by Moss on a TD but Hill looks pretty fluid back there..and again, he's fast!
Old 04-15-2006   #5
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:

Quote:
I agree with a lot of your opinions on the Senior Bowl, I too have gone back and watched it several times. I think Eric Winston and Daryn Colledge are the best fits for our zone blocking scheme among all the OTs in this draft, and I think Colledge could definitely fall to the 3rd round but I could see someone taking him in the mid-late 2nd. Eric Winston will probably go in the 1st but I'd definitely take him if he's available at #33.

I agree on Tapp, he doesn't have real good measurable speed but he has pretty nice quickness and pretty good moves, either way he consistently finds a way to get in the opponent's backfield.

Tamba Hali is somewhat similar, he hasn't had real good workouts since the Senior Bowl but he has a pretty good mix of size, strength, and athleticism, and he also finds a way to get into the opponent's backfield and make a nuisance of himself.

As for D'Brickashaw, he looked fairly solid in pass protection although he got smoked one time, I don't remember by who but the guy juked him quickly and nailed the QB for a sack. Couldn't tell how effective he was in run blocking, sometimes he seemed kind of lost in who he was supposed to be going after and blocking, but he could move pretty well.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006   #6
DRAMA
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
As for D'Brickashaw, he looked fairly solid in pass protection although he got smoked one time, I don't remember by who but the guy juked him quickly and nailed the QB for a sack. Couldn't tell how effective he was in run blocking, sometimes he seemed kind of lost in who he was supposed to be going after and blocking, but he could move pretty well.
Yeah, I remember that one. It was by some dude from Alabama, I think. He stepped outside and then went boom straight to the QB. Overall, Brick looked good in PassPro.

Another thing was Thomas Howard was all OVER that field, too. They must've called his name like 10 times.
Old 04-15-2006   #7
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Im hoping we either pick up Winston at # 33 or Colledge at #65 or 66

Either of those pickups and ill cream my pants.

Old 04-15-2006   #8
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

what about D'Qwell at 33, Colledge at 65, Griffnin at 66

THAT WOULD BE SWEET! (caps)
Old 04-15-2006   #9
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Old 04-15-2006   #10
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
what about D'Qwell at 33, Colledge at 65, Griffnin at 66

THAT WOULD BE SWEET! (caps)
I'd prefer Abdul Hodge if he was available over Jackson, but I'd be happy with either.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006   #11
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 5042 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'd love to get Cedric Griffith and Kloppenstein at 65 & 66. However, Klop is rising fast and may even be 2nd TE off the board. I'm afraid Eric Winston will actually go in the 15-25 range, but at 33 he's a steal. I doubt Colledge drops to 3rd, but would be a great p/u in that range...he might not make it past ATL or DEN in 2nd.

Hali and Tapp are OK, but believe we need to try Babin, Peak and Kalu before bringing in more small DEs.

Texan, back in Texas!
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006   #12
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Brick Blocked everything. He whipped Kiwi (Mithias Kiwanuka) so bad he had to go to a therapist. J/K. . He did hurt MK's arm on one play. He's the best left tackle prospect since Pace. No one at the Sr bowl got by him in practice or the game. Mangold was very good also. Any other year Mangold would be a frist rounder. Reminds me of Carl Mock, but very very fast. I heard last week that Indi and Pittsburg were both chasing the RB from LSU, Abdia. Which means to me, Mangold will slide into the second. But....
They got Flanagan, The kid backing up Flanagan, McK, backnig up both of them , And Washington backing up the three. I just can't see them taking Mangold.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 04-16-2006 at 01:50 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006   #13
MasterC25
Rookie

Quote:
I agree with a lot of your opinions on the Senior Bowl, I too have gone back and watched it several times. I think Eric Winston and Daryn Colledge are the best fits for our zone blocking scheme among all the OTs in this draft, and I think Colledge could definitely fall to the 3rd round but I could see someone taking him in the mid-late 2nd. Eric Winston will probably go in the 1st but I'd definitely take him if he's available at #33.

I agree on Tapp, he doesn't have real good measurable speed but he has pretty nice quickness and pretty good moves, either way he consistently finds a way to get in the opponent's backfield.

Tamba Hali is somewhat similar, he hasn't had real good workouts since the Senior Bowl but he has a pretty good mix of size, strength, and athleticism, and he also finds a way to get into the opponent's backfield and make a nuisance of himself.

That guy was TAPP he destroyed D'Brick on that play and when they went up against each other in the game Virginia vs. VT
MasterC25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006   #14
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
hali is this year's matt roth. i don't think he's starting material, but he'll definitely be a very effective piece of a d-line rotation. depth is probably the most important thing up front on defense, and he'll be great in his role.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006   #15
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna
hali is this year's matt roth. i don't think he's starting material, but he'll definitely be a very effective piece of a d-line rotation. depth is probably the most important thing up front on defense, and he'll be great in his role.
Speaking of Roth, how did he do last year? I wanted the Texans to draft him.

Back on topic, did anyone tape the other allstar bowls?
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006   #16
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

roth was solid. as with my hali theory, he was an effective part of the rotation. he was probably our best "backup" on the d-line. he started out pretty poorly, but after he got into it, he had a positive impact on the running game notably, and having his freakish energy late in ball games will be huge.

i loved roth too, i had both him and channing crowder in my first round mock. for miami to get both of them in the first 3 rounds pretty much blew my mind. saban rules.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006   #17
DRAMA
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterC25
That guy was TAPP he destroyed D'Brick on that play and when they went up against each other in the game Virginia vs. VT
Actually, it was Mark Anderson from Alabama at 8:43 left in the 3rd quarter. I thought I was losing my mind so I went and found it. It was a quick step outside, swim, jet straight up the middle and sack against Robinson from Penn State. Of course, Tapp did too...and I did see Tapp do it a few times in that game last season. Tapp is small but is IMO going to be a find pass rushing end on third downs.
Old 04-16-2006   #18
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete
Brick Blocked everything. He whipped Kiwi (Mithias Kiwanuka) so bad he had to go to a therapist. J/K. . He did hurt MK's arm on one play. He's the best left tackle prospect since Pace. No one at the Sr bowl got by him in practice or the game. Mangold was very good also. Any other year Mangold would be a frist rounder. Reminds me of Carl Mock, but very very fast. I heard last week that Indi and Pittsburg were both chasing the RB from LSU, Abdia. Which means to me, Mangold will slide into the second. But....
They got Flanagan, The kid backing up Flanagan, McK, backnig up both of them , And Washington backing up the three. I just can't see them taking Mangold.
Ferguson definitely gave up a sack (and looked quite bad doing it) on that one play, and he didn't look especially good in run blocking although he was generally pretty good in pass blocking the rest of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterC25
Tapp and Ferguson were on the same team for the Senior Bowl so Tapp could not have been the one that got the sack on him. I thought the two of them matched up pretty well during the practices. I know the guy that got the sack on Ferguson during the game was from Alabama, if my memory serves me correctly it was #47 which would be Mark Anderson, a fairly small (255 lbs.) DE.
*edit, confirmed by Drama, good work on that:

Quote:
Actually, it was Mark Anderson from Alabama at 8:43 left in the 3rd quarter. I thought I was losing my mind so I went and found it. It was a quick step outside, swim, jet straight up the middle and sack against Robinson from Penn State. Of course, Tapp did too...and I did see Tapp do it a few times in that game last season. Tapp is small but is IMO going to be a find pass rushing end on third downs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna
I think Hali has a lot of raw talent, but I'm not sure he has the work ethic to become an impact player in the NFL.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006   #19
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Yep my bad, I remembered when I saw the post the kid made a great move outside and went back inside. Brick was to high, over extended and got beat. Once.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read