Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2006   #1
gtexan02
Working?
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Boston
Age: 30
Posts: 15,673
Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default My musings on the status thus far

I've just got to say wow. This has been one helluva ride for me, and hopefully its not ending here. I mean, this has been the best offseason I've ever experienced as a Texans fan.

It all started with that SF 49ers game. I don't like to be a "cheer for the loss" kind of guy, but in this case, I was.

Next came the Rosebowl. VY, Bush, Leinart, Lendale were all doing their best to raise their draft stock. After the game, I realized how amazing our draft position was.

Then the Free Agents/Trade. The Weaver signing would have been enough (based on my old expectations) but then we go out and get Putzier, Flannagan, Moulds, Cowart, and Kalu.

The pro days were next on the agenda, and again, our draft position was only made more valuable.

Now we've got articles and stories on the revamped team. 30th ranked run defense? 4-3 + Weaver + Cowart = fixed! (hopefully). 30th ranked offense? Kubiak + Cook + Moulds + Putzier + Flannagan + Motivating Carr = fixed!

And lastly, with the players we've brought in for interviews, how can anyone not be excited. The three players we're negotiating with: Bush, Williams, Young. All 3 could be superstars in the NFL if they live up to their hype.

Here it is in summary form: We tank the 49ers, the rosebowl showcased some 1st round talent, we had countless holes on both sides of the ball that we actually filled with decent players, the coaches and players express confidence in their new schemes, and the worst player we will bring in on April 29th could be a rookie probowler. Awesome!
__________________
Drinking the kool aid
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006   #2
gtexan02
Working?
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Boston
Age: 30
Posts: 15,673
Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Oh, and by the way, feel free to critically analyze this post if you are more of the downer type. But let me warn one thing:
-Please don't use the "You can't predict a rookie's contribution without him ever playing a down in the nfl!"

I'm sorry, but that is just stupid. True, you shouldn't say he WILL be a probowler, but if you can't at least PROJECT him to be a probowler in 2-3 years, he shouldn't be first round grade. Scout have a job, and that job is to watch college game film, take measureable stats, compare playing ability to past professionals with similar styles, and make INFORMED GUESSES about the successfulness of a prospect. So while it is impossible to say "he WILL be Gale Sayers" you shouldn't be reprimanded for saying "he could be a superstar" because if you are picked that high, you SHOULD be a superstar
__________________
Drinking the kool aid
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006   #3
Porky
Hall of Fame
 
Porky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 51
Posts: 12,238
Rep Power: 57261 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Good stuff overall. I can't quite get fully onboard with your 4/3+Weaver+Cowart =fixed defense. I think we have a long ways to go, but I think we will see some real progress on D this year.
__________________
Your local CruiseOne Vacation specialist. www.firstclasscruising.biz Visit me on Facebook.
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006   #4
Runner
Hubcap Diamond
 
Runner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,716
Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky
Good stuff overall. I can't quite get fully onboard with your 4/3+Weaver+Cowart =fixed defense. I think we have a long ways to go, but I think we will see some real progress on D this year.
Taking a large step toward average on defense this year is fairly successful, given the attention that is being paid to offense. Going into the off-season I thought they'd only be able to show large improvement on one side of that ball this year; however it appears we're making pretty good progress on both sides.
__________________
Amy glances out the window; her hair, skin, and clothes take on a pronounced reddish tinge from Doppler effect as she drops out of the conversation at relativistic velocity. - Cryptonomicon
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006   #5
Bobo
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Age: 61
Posts: 1,375
Rep Power: 0 Bobo does not work well with others
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
I've just got to say wow. This has been one helluva ride for me, and hopefully its not ending here. I mean, this has been the best offseason I've ever experienced as a Texans fan.

It all started with that SF 49ers game. I don't like to be a "cheer for the loss" kind of guy, but in this case, I was.

Next came the Rosebowl. VY, Bush, Leinart, Lendale were all doing their best to raise their draft stock. After the game, I realized how amazing our draft position was.

Then the Free Agents/Trade. The Weaver signing would have been enough (based on my old expectations) but then we go out and get Putzier, Flannagan, Moulds, Cowart, and Kalu.

The pro days were next on the agenda, and again, our draft position was only made more valuable.

Now we've got articles and stories on the revamped team. 30th ranked run defense? 4-3 + Weaver + Cowart = fixed! (hopefully). 30th ranked offense? Kubiak + Cook + Moulds + Putzier + Flannagan + Motivating Carr = fixed!

And lastly, with the players we've brought in for interviews, how can anyone not be excited. The three players we're negotiating with: Bush, Williams, Young. All 3 could be superstars in the NFL if they live up to their hype.

Here it is in summary form: We tank the 49ers, the rosebowl showcased some 1st round talent, we had countless holes on both sides of the ball that we actually filled with decent players, the coaches and players express confidence in their new schemes, and the worst player we will bring in on April 29th could be a rookie probowler. Awesome!
As stated on this board on numerous occasions, most unbiased observers believe this type of assessment is nothing but the exclamations of homers wearing rose-colored glasses. Until the offensive line starts blocking somebody to keep Carr from having to run for his life and until the defense can actually prevent opposing RBs from running up team records, then all of this "awesome" talk is nothing more than whistling in the graveyard. The OL is still a mess and unproven and the defensive improvements are minimal at best. How you can describe this offseason as "awesome" is beyond me.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006   #6
touttail
All Pro
 
touttail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Baytown
Age: 59
Posts: 948
Rep Power: 10 touttail is ridin' the pine
Default

Great post!

My gawd, anything has to be better this year than a 2-14 record.
There is so much excitement in the air with our team. Just can't imagine what it would be like if Capers was still coach!

Bobby 119C
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006   #7
gtexan02
Working?
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Boston
Age: 30
Posts: 15,673
Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo
As stated on this board on numerous occasions, most unbiased observers believe this type of assessment is nothing but the exclamations of homers wearing rose-colored glasses. Until the offensive line starts blocking somebody to keep Carr from having to run for his life and until the defense can actually prevent opposing RBs from running up team records, then all of this "awesome" talk is nothing more than whistling in the graveyard. The OL is still a mess and unproven and the defensive improvements are minimal at best. How you can describe this offseason as "awesome" is beyond me.
So basically what you are saying is you can't get excited about what your team does in the offseason, because you can't be 100% sure how it will turn out in the regular season. Therefore you are only allowed to show optimism once you have already witnessed success? Odd. Did anyone blame the Baltimore Ravens for being optimistic last season pre August? Nope, in fact, most people thought they were SB contenders on paper. Then again, did anyone blame the SD fans for being optimistic prior to 2004 season? Yup, but they went out and showed the changes they made were enough.

The point I'm trying to make here is that when can you be optimistic about hte possibility of your team making a big turnaround? According to you, it won't be until at least a few games into the season when I see physical proof, and then its no longer optimism, its simply "the way it is."

You mention OL blocking. Well, we got the offensive coordinator from one of the traditional best OLs in the league. We picked up a probowl center who has loads of experience in blocking for both an allpro QB and probowl HB. We hired a former head coach of the Green Bay packers to be our OL coach! We moved our out of place center from the middle of the line to guard position, where he excelled in Indy. We have come out publicly saying we will address the OL in the "middle rounds" because thats where zone blockers are usually found. Kubiak has made multiple exclamations on how DC is studying hard and returning to the basics and will be bootlegging/running a bit more. All of this looks REAL good on paper, and yes, while no games have officially been played, I don't think its unrealistic to show some optimis.

As for run defense, we finally moved back to the 4-3 where all our OL originally played. We put two proven pass rushing college DEs at the right side along with a proven pass rusher in Kalu, have 3 penetrating 4-3 DTs to play in the middle, and signed who ESPN claimed was the best up and coming run stuffing strong side DE in Anthony Weaver. We put Greenwood back at his original position, brought in Cowart (a pro bowl MLB who seeks out the run like J Trotter) at MLB, and saw signs of brilliance in Orr last season when he got a chance to sign. We've moved away from soft zone coverage, and therefore our DBs will be more free to run up against the run. We have a defensive coordinator who worked under Nick Saban (defensive 'guru' if you will) who they replaced with our HC! He has worked with Z Thomas, arguably the best (or one of the best) MLB in football right now. So while we haven't actually played any downs, yet, this looks good on paper, and again I see nor eason not to be optimistic about it.

So call it what you will, but I'm going to keep on whistling until I see proof that our moves haven't helped. You say you need proof before you will complement the changes, and I claim I need proof otherwise not to show confidence. To each their own I guess
__________________
Drinking the kool aid
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-14-2006   #8
marroncito
Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Age: 34
Posts: 78
Rep Power: 10 marroncito is a fan favorite
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo
As stated on this board on numerous occasions, most unbiased observers believe this type of assessment is nothing but the exclamations of homers wearing rose-colored glasses. Until the offensive line starts blocking somebody to keep Carr from having to run for his life and until the defense can actually prevent opposing RBs from running up team records, then all of this "awesome" talk is nothing more than whistling in the graveyard. The OL is still a mess and unproven and the defensive improvements are minimal at best. How you can describe this offseason as "awesome" is beyond me.
I'm optomistic about all the changes this offseason, but with a grain of salt. That said, I'm equally excited about our Oline. If we look at the evaluations, signings and changes at other positions, we can get a sense of what's happening on the Oline as well. Needs at WR, TE, DE and LB have all been met. It can be debated how much any of the changes will benifit overall, but the needs have been addressed. There will be marginal improvement at almost every position this year. So let's catalogue some of the things that have happened on the Oline.

*Pitts finally seems set at LT for now and won't move back and forth
*McKinney moves back to his natural guard position
*Flanagan is a legit, if worn down center. I like the fact that Sherman trusts him enough to bring him in. I don't think Sherman would use his juice to bring in a player he didn't think would upgrade the Texans
*Hodgdon has a chance to develop behind Flanagan. We know that he's solid depth
*Milford Brown was allowed to sign with Arizona. He's got talent, but I think Kubiak and the FO would have fought harder for him if he was in their plans. I think this shows that they know what they want to do with the Oline
*Wand might actually get a chance to start and thrive. He's been a ??? since he's been here with his time in the doghouse.
*Weary was resigned. Probably as depth, but I think it shows the evaluations and changes that have been happening.
*David Loverne was brought in. He's a big ??? for me right now. I like seeing effort guys being brought in with nice affordable contracts.
*The line is being coached in a system that's been proven to be successful in Denver. I think Kubiak and his assistants know what it takes to turn WhoDats into an effictive Oline. Since all we have right now is his past experience to evaluate Kubiak on, I'm willing to trust him with the Oline
*With all the hype following the Texans and the 1st overall pick, we haven't heard a lot about who the FO is targeting later in the draft. I take this as a good sign. The way the Texans pursued Givens, then Burleson and finally Moulds until we got a legit #2 WR makes me think that we'll get some great value out of the bottom half of the draft. I'm betting that we'll see 1 or 2 Olinemen on day 2 who might turn out to be suprising.
*Weigert's moved out to RT. I really have no idea on this one. It'll interesting to see how he does there. I imagine Kubiak has something in mind.

So that's a short list of all the things we know have happened on the Oline. I'm excited about most of them. I know there'll be some kind of improvement over last year. I don't see us playing the "just keep Carr upright" game anymore.
marroncito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006   #9
Bobo
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Age: 61
Posts: 1,375
Rep Power: 0 Bobo does not work well with others
Default

Quote:
I'm optomistic about all the changes this offseason, but with a grain of salt. That said, I'm equally excited about our Oline. If we look at the evaluations, signings and changes at other positions, we can get a sense of what's happening on the Oline as well. Needs at WR, TE, DE and LB have all been met. It can be debated how much any of the changes will benifit overall, but the needs have been addressed. There will be marginal improvement at almost every position this year. So let's catalogue some of the things that have happened on the Oline.

*Pitts finally seems set at LT for now and won't move back and forth
*McKinney moves back to his natural guard position
*Flanagan is a legit, if worn down center. I like the fact that Sherman trusts him enough to bring him in. I don't think Sherman would use his juice to bring in a player he didn't think would upgrade the Texans
*Hodgdon has a chance to develop behind Flanagan. We know that he's solid depth
*Milford Brown was allowed to sign with Arizona. He's got talent, but I think Kubiak and the FO would have fought harder for him if he was in their plans. I think this shows that they know what they want to do with the Oline
*Wand might actually get a chance to start and thrive. He's been a ??? since he's been here with his time in the doghouse.
*Weary was resigned. Probably as depth, but I think it shows the evaluations and changes that have been happening.
*David Loverne was brought in. He's a big ??? for me right now. I like seeing effort guys being brought in with nice affordable contracts.
*The line is being coached in a system that's been proven to be successful in Denver. I think Kubiak and his assistants know what it takes to turn WhoDats into an effictive Oline. Since all we have right now is his past experience to evaluate Kubiak on, I'm willing to trust him with the Oline
*With all the hype following the Texans and the 1st overall pick, we haven't heard a lot about who the FO is targeting later in the draft. I take this as a good sign. The way the Texans pursued Givens, then Burleson and finally Moulds until we got a legit #2 WR makes me think that we'll get some great value out of the bottom half of the draft. I'm betting that we'll see 1 or 2 Olinemen on day 2 who might turn out to be suprising.
*Weigert's moved out to RT. I really have no idea on this one. It'll interesting to see how he does there. I imagine Kubiak has something in mind.

So that's a short list of all the things we know have happened on the Oline. I'm excited about most of them. I know there'll be some kind of improvement over last year. I don't see us playing the "just keep Carr upright" game anymore.
A.) We didn't have a need at TE. The TE is needed to stay in for pass protection. A pass-catching TE only makes things worse. B.) WR wasn't a need either. None of the WRs produced this year because there was no protection for Carr. Gaffney would have been just fine if he would have been given time to complete his routes. He did a good job filling in for AJ when he was out. C.) The acquisition of Cowart is way overblown. He has been with a couple of teams in the last few years and neither team was excited about him. D.) You don't address needs with mediocre talent and deem them met. E.) All I hear about the OL is a lot of talk, no substance. Flanagan is the only body they have brought in and he certainly isn't the answer to the future of this team. F.) I see a lot of disappointment for Texans fans in the future.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006   #10
Bobo
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Age: 61
Posts: 1,375
Rep Power: 0 Bobo does not work well with others
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by touttail
Great post!

My gawd, anything has to be better this year than a 2-14 record.
There is so much excitement in the air with our team. Just can't imagine what it would be like if Capers was still coach!

Bobby 119C
I don't know where you get this "excitement is in the air with our team" I don't feel any and the unbiased observers don't sense any either. If you put out the same team with the same coach this year, they'd probably be better than 2-14. Heck, they were 7-9 the previous year. I would rather they have kept Capers. He had the team going in the right direction. Yes, he had a bad year last year. But both Cowher and Holmgren had bad years and look where they ended up this past season.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006   #11
Runner
Hubcap Diamond
 
Runner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,716
Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marroncito
...So let's catalogue some of the things that have happened on the Oline.

1) *Pitts finally seems set at LT for now and won't move back and forth
2) *McKinney moves back to his natural guard position
3) *Flanagan is a legit, if worn down center. I like the fact that Sherman trusts him enough to bring him in. I don't think Sherman would use his juice to bring in a player he didn't think would upgrade the Texans
*Hodgdon has a chance to develop behind Flanagan. We know that he's solid depth
*Milford Brown was allowed to sign with Arizona. He's got talent, but I think Kubiak and the FO would have fought harder for him if he was in their plans. I think this shows that they know what they want to do with the Oline
4) *Wand might actually get a chance to start and thrive. He's been a ??? since he's been here with his time in the doghouse.
*Weary was resigned. Probably as depth, but I think it shows the evaluations and changes that have been happening.
*David Loverne was brought in. He's a big ??? for me right now. I like seeing effort guys being brought in with nice affordable contracts.
5a)*The line is being coached in a system that's been proven to be successful in Denver. I think Kubiak and his assistants know what it takes to turn WhoDats into an effictive Oline. Since all we have right now is his past experience to evaluate Kubiak on, I'm willing to trust him with the Oline
6)*With all the hype following the Texans and the 1st overall pick, we haven't heard a lot about who the FO is targeting later in the draft. I take this as a good sign. The way the Texans pursued Givens, then Burleson and finally Moulds until we got a legit #2 WR makes me think that we'll get some great value out of the bottom half of the draft. I'm betting that we'll see 1 or 2 Olinemen on day 2 who might turn out to be suprising.
7)*Weigert's moved out to RT. I really have no idea on this one. It'll interesting to see how he does there. I imagine Kubiak has something in mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
5b) Well, we got the offensive coordinator from one of the traditional best OLs in the league. We picked up a probowl center who has loads of experience in blocking for both an allpro QB and probowl HB. We hired a former head coach of the Green Bay packers to be our OL coach! We moved our out of place center from the middle of the line to guard position, where he excelled in Indy. We have come out publicly saying we will address the OL in the "middle rounds" because thats where zone blockers are usually found.
1) I agree we'll see Pitts stop moving around, but he'll stick at guard. The coaches will teach him how to play a team game from that position and fix that weakness. Left guard.

2) I'm not a big McKinney fan, but I trust our coaches' evaluation far more than mine. Right guard.

3) Even an average center improves our line tremendously, especially since it also makes our guards stronger. This goes a long way to us getting a consistent pocket for Carr to step up into, which then helps our tackles. Nice move - it all fits together.

4) This coaching staff is the best thing to happen to Wand since he's been here. They recognize he has all the tools required to be a left tackle, and they are good enough coaches to teach him the techniques to make him our franchise left tackle. Surprise, surprise - the left tackle we've been looking for has been here all along.

5a&b) As has been pointed out, we have great coaching for the o-line for the first time in franchise history. Our players will be better, because the team will take advantage of their strengths and work the scheme and teach to reduce their weaknesses.

6) I think they'll draft for depth, especially at right tackle as Weigert winds down his career.

7) Weigert will be valuable at RT. He may need some tight end help at times, but we have that TE help now. The coaches will take advantage of this and devise offensive schemes make players better as a unit then they are individually. He has injury concerns, but we'll probably have Wade and a rookie as back-ups. He is a leader on the line, although that goes unnoticed here.


Wand-Pitts-Flanagan-McKinney-Weigert.

Add in some top notch coaching and our problems have been addressed nicely.
__________________
Amy glances out the window; her hair, skin, and clothes take on a pronounced reddish tinge from Doppler effect as she drops out of the conversation at relativistic velocity. - Cryptonomicon
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006   #12
Bobo
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Age: 61
Posts: 1,375
Rep Power: 0 Bobo does not work well with others
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
So basically what you are saying is you can't get excited about what your team does in the offseason, because you can't be 100% sure how it will turn out in the regular season. Therefore you are only allowed to show optimism once you have already witnessed success? Odd. Did anyone blame the Baltimore Ravens for being optimistic last season pre August? Nope, in fact, most people thought they were SB contenders on paper. Then again, did anyone blame the SD fans for being optimistic prior to 2004 season? Yup, but they went out and showed the changes they made were enough.

The point I'm trying to make here is that when can you be optimistic about hte possibility of your team making a big turnaround? According to you, it won't be until at least a few games into the season when I see physical proof, and then its no longer optimism, its simply "the way it is."

You mention OL blocking. Well, we got the offensive coordinator from one of the traditional best OLs in the league. We picked up a probowl center who has loads of experience in blocking for both an allpro QB and probowl HB. We hired a former head coach of the Green Bay packers to be our OL coach! We moved our out of place center from the middle of the line to guard position, where he excelled in Indy. We have come out publicly saying we will address the OL in the "middle rounds" because thats where zone blockers are usually found. Kubiak has made multiple exclamations on how DC is studying hard and returning to the basics and will be bootlegging/running a bit more. All of this looks REAL good on paper, and yes, while no games have officially been played, I don't think its unrealistic to show some optimis.

As for run defense, we finally moved back to the 4-3 where all our OL originally played. We put two proven pass rushing college DEs at the right side along with a proven pass rusher in Kalu, have 3 penetrating 4-3 DTs to play in the middle, and signed who ESPN claimed was the best up and coming run stuffing strong side DE in Anthony Weaver. We put Greenwood back at his original position, brought in Cowart (a pro bowl MLB who seeks out the run like J Trotter) at MLB, and saw signs of brilliance in Orr last season when he got a chance to sign. We've moved away from soft zone coverage, and therefore our DBs will be more free to run up against the run. We have a defensive coordinator who worked under Nick Saban (defensive 'guru' if you will) who they replaced with our HC! He has worked with Z Thomas, arguably the best (or one of the best) MLB in football right now. So while we haven't actually played any downs, yet, this looks good on paper, and again I see nor eason not to be optimistic about it.

So call it what you will, but I'm going to keep on whistling until I see proof that our moves haven't helped. You say you need proof before you will complement the changes, and I claim I need proof otherwise not to show confidence. To each their own I guess
A.) No, I can't get excited about the team because what they did wasn't much. I don't see much change at all, just a lot of mediocre players coming in. What's there to be excited about that? B.) Coming off a 2-14 season, there isn't much room for optimism until there are some real, actual turnarounds that are seen on the field. Until then, all you have is a 2-14 team with more mediocre players added. C.) The defense hasn't improved much. You talk like Weaver and Cowart are going to help this defense. Neither one of them can pressure the passer and Cowart has been flowing from team to team -- nobody really wanted him. D.) The head coach, as well as most of his coaching staff, is green as grass. E.) People who are positive about this team reminds me of the kid who found manure in his stocking on Christmas. When he saw it, he got all excited and said, "Where there's manure, there's gotta be a pony!" Well, if you want to get excited about manure, that's fine. To me, manure is manure. That's all you got. There are uses for manure, but I wouldn't get all excited about it.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006   #13
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man
 
Hardcore Texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Round Rock, TX
Age: 40
Posts: 9,453
Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo
A.) We didn't have a need at TE. The TE is needed to stay in for pass protection. A pass-catching TE only makes things worse. B.) WR wasn't a need either. None of the WRs produced this year because there was no protection for Carr. Gaffney would have been just fine if he would have been given time to complete his routes. He did a good job filling in for AJ when he was out. C.) The acquisition of Cowart is way overblown. He has been with a couple of teams in the last few years and neither team was excited about him. D.) You don't address needs with mediocre talent and deem them met. E.) All I hear about the OL is a lot of talk, no substance. Flanagan is the only body they have brought in and he certainly isn't the answer to the future of this team. F.) I see a lot of disappointment for Texans fans in the future.

If bringing in Flaningan and Sherman to coach the OLine, and McKinney moving back to a position he had success at is not considered improvement, then what the hell is it? It is better than last years patchwork.

I wouldn't go so far to say the OLine is the best it can be, but we still have camp, preseason, oh and that little thing called the draft to get better. So there is reason to be excited and optimistic for some, no need to knock them for it.

I agree with some of what your saying, we do need better protection, and maybe just maybe some of the "mediocre talent" willl be an upgrade at some postions.
__________________
Warning: This post may or may not contain sarcasm, satire, or humor in general. Read at your own risk!
Hardcore Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006   #14
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown
 
Mr. White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sugar Land
Age: 41
Posts: 6,014
Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo
I don't feel any and the unbiased observers don't sense any either.
Could you possibly be referring to yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo
If you put out the same team with the same coach this year, they'd probably be better than 2-14. Heck, they were 7-9 the previous year. I would rather they have kept Capers. He had the team going in the right direction. Yes, he had a bad year last year. But both Cowher and Holmgren had bad years and look where they ended up this past season.
I don't think Cowher or Holmgren ever won as few as 2 games as HC's. Capers was great as a DC but was horrible as an HC.

The only success that he had (in Carolina) was due to a better expansion draft pool at that time. Maybe if he was involved in the defense, then the team would've been better. 7 wins to 2 wins is hardly a step in the right direction.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006   #15
gtexan02
Working?
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Boston
Age: 30
Posts: 15,673
Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo
A.) No, I can't get excited about the team because what they did wasn't much. I don't see much change at all, just a lot of mediocre players coming in. What's there to be excited about that? B.) Coming off a 2-14 season, there isn't much room for optimism until there are some real, actual turnarounds that are seen on the field. Until then, all you have is a 2-14 team with more mediocre players added. C.) The defense hasn't improved much. You talk like Weaver and Cowart are going to help this defense. Neither one of them can pressure the passer and Cowart has been flowing from team to team -- nobody really wanted him. D.) The head coach, as well as most of his coaching staff, is green as grass. E.) People who are positive about this team reminds me of the kid who found manure in his stocking on Christmas. When he saw it, he got all excited and said, "Where there's manure, there's gotta be a pony!" Well, if you want to get excited about manure, that's fine. To me, manure is manure. That's all you got. There are uses for manure, but I wouldn't get all excited about it.
A) Again, you say you need results to feel optimistic, I say I need to see failure to be pessimistic. No point in arguing this ad libtum

B) See point A

C) Neither Weaver or Cowart were brought in to rush the passer. Weaver is a strong side run stopping DE. Cowart is a run stuffing MLB (see J Trotter comment earlier). Only rarely will they be rushing all out at the passer. We have Peek, Babin, Kalu, Payne, Smith, TJ, a safety, and potentially OLB to rush the paser. This is not surprising or disapointing, as this is how many successful 4-3s are run

D) True GK is a first time HC. So? Every time a new coach gets a shot he's going to immediately suck? He has been successful everywhere he's gone. his assistant coach is a proven winner in Sherman. We have fresh, new ideas. I see this as a plus. This is also why he has brought in so many veteran players. If our new guys don't want to listen 100% to the new coaches, the veteran players will serve as nice assistants

E) People as negative as you remind of the kid who gets the computer, car, and television for christmas and asks "wheres the pony?" You can keep waiting for some arbitrary signing that iwll make you happy (although at this point I can't imagine what you'd want) or you can open your eyes and see how many good things you've already opened
__________________
Drinking the kool aid
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006   #16
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame
 
Ibar_Harry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,219
Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan
If bringing in Flaningan and Sherman to coach the OLine, and McKinney moving back to a position he had success at is not considered improvement, then what the hell is it? It is better than last years patchwork.

I wouldn't go so far to say the OLine is the best it can be, but we still have camp, preseason, oh and that little thing called the draft to get better. So there is reason to be excited and optimistic for some, no need to knock them for it.

I agree with some of what your saying, we do need better protection, and maybe just maybe some of the "mediocre talent" willl be an upgrade at some postions.
Do not under estimate Sherman as an Offensive line coach along with the new offensive system. Our O-line players were very badly coached and the offensive system was an abomination. We have to be at least 70% better at this point in my estimation.

Coaching, coaching, and coaching are the reasons this team as a whole is a lot better than last years team even if we did not pick up any players. In reality, however, you can already see the effects of their coaching. We have filled many holes, and is some cases, dramatically improved some of our positions like WR.

Once, again, do not under estimate the coaching factor. Year after year you see many of the same coaches with teams in the playoffs and SB's. There is a reason. Its called salary cap. The best coaches get it done.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006   #17
gtexan02
Working?
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Boston
Age: 30
Posts: 15,673
Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

One thing thats curious to me, is that Bobo advocates for Capers to stay, but then claims we haven't changed enough. I guarantee you if Capers had stayed, we would have A) Made even less changes and B) Performed even worse than last
__________________
Drinking the kool aid
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006   #18
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown
 
Mr. White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sugar Land
Age: 41
Posts: 6,014
Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Just a Titans fan trying to
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006   #19
Runner
Hubcap Diamond
 
Runner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,716
Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
One thing thats curious to me, is that Bobo advocates for Capers to stay, but then claims we haven't changed enough. I guarantee you if Capers had stayed, we would have A) Made even less changes and B) Performed even worse than last
When a person chooses to join the "Debate with a Bobo Hour", that poster is feeding a troll who is in fact a Titans fan. This has been documented various times on these boards.

This topic was going good places as a football discussion before it got sidetracked as well. That's too bad, but it happens.
__________________
Amy glances out the window; her hair, skin, and clothes take on a pronounced reddish tinge from Doppler effect as she drops out of the conversation at relativistic velocity. - Cryptonomicon
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006   #20
TheOgre
Hall of Fame
 
TheOgre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Back in the cellar again
Posts: 3,739
Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP
Default

We haven't see the end of the off-season yet, but unless we see some significant additions to our pass-rush and secondary, I still think we will have some pass defense issues. I think adding Weaver and Cowart along with switching to the 4-3, will improve our run defense immensely though.

As for our offense, I still have concerns about the O-line positions. We should be improved, but I am not content.
__________________
"...the Texans select...Adrian Peterson, RB, University of Oklahoma."
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger