Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-14-2006   #1
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1028 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Chron: New 4-3 scheme has Texans' defense ready to attack

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3793535.html

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006   #2
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Sounds like McClain heard the clamor from this board......
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006   #3
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
"It's a new beginning, and this system allows us to play more than having to spend so much time thinking. Any time you switch coaches, a lot of changes are going to be made. Sometimes, change can be exciting."
-Dunta Robinson
qft
Old 04-14-2006   #4
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

what the heck is qft?
Old 04-14-2006   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Johnson
"I'm ready to strap on my boots because the linemen in a 4-3 get to fire off the ball," said tackle Travis Johnson, last year's No. 1 pick who was ill-suited for end in a 3-4. "The 4-3's ideal for me because I'm agile, mobile and hostile."

When Johnson came to the Texans from Florida State last season, he wrote "trespass" and "danger" on his wristbands.

"Playing in a 4-3 this season, I'm going to get charged with trespassing a lot," he said. "If God's blessed you with gifts that suit a certain style, you can't just sit and catch blockers all day.

"The 4-3 is really suited for all of us on the defensive line. We are going to cause some havoc."
I love it!!!!
Old 04-14-2006   #6
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Good article. It sounds like the players are excited about the 4-3.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006   #7
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
what the heck is qft?
QUOTED FOR TRUTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-14-2006   #8
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

I am happy we switched to the 4-3 for one main reason. Now the offense has to figure out what the DL is going to do as opposed the 3-4 where they could almost count on the 3 DL guys picking up blocks each time.

The DL will get some glory. This should pump them up and inturn the LB's and DB's should perform better.
Old 04-14-2006   #9
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

The players and fans will remain pumped up as long as the system works. I recall the excitement over the 3-4 too.

Smith is unproven as a DC and this is his first time to fully run the show. He had co-responsibility with Will Muschamp at Miami last year and before that was a position coach his entire career, except for one year when he had special teams under Kubiak.

He should be ready, but we'll have to wait and see. I've heard that he's going to pretty much build the Texans defensive system and playbook from scratch. In other words, he doesn't have "Richard Smith's defensive playbook" on the shelf that he's going to hand out to his coaches and say "here it is." It's going to be based on foundations, fundamentals, and details he's learned wherever he's been, but he's packaging it as his own for the first time.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006   #10
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Personally I like the 34 system, but for our particular team it just was not a good fit. Sometimes you have to get athletes that are thinkers to make things work and well Dom did not. We have a very aggressive team that Richard Smith's D scheme will take advantage of. My only problem is I am still unsure of the pass rush, but that will be seen soon. If ND Kalu, Peek, and Babin can really get after it in training camp we should be alot better in that department, which will carry over to the whole defesne.
Old 04-14-2006   #11
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

One of the major themes of Kubiak's Texans reorg has been putting players where they naturally belong. For example, making McKinney a guard instead of a center. I like that I am hearing more of the same on the defense. Babin and Peek at end, TJ at tackle. Plus, and this may just be me, but the players sound more aggressive. I loved hearing about "Trespass" and "Danger" being written on their wrist bands.

The downside has always been that Richard Smith is an unproven Defensive Coordinator (he was co-DC at Miami last year), so you just don't know what he's going to do with the team and if the whole thing will work out. But I am more hopeful this year than I have been for the past few seasons.

Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006   #12
MightyTExan
It's go time!

Rep Power: 19458 MightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respected

Finally! I hope we see an agressive D. Guess I'm used to it from the old Buddy Ryan days.....................
MightyTExan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006   #13
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 54908 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

First and formost the 34 system was ran by Fagio. If he was running the 43 he would have screwed that up to.

Second I am hoping Travis Johnson proves me wrong. This whole offseason I have been gripping and complaining that TJ was a bust. First round selection (we even passed up DJ) that couldnt earn a starting role and when he did play he was less than impressive. Last year he said he was like a bull, see's red and doesn't stop (He must have not accounted for the bench). THis year he said he is going to get charged with tresspassing (If he does I will be the first one to bail him out).

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006   #14
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The 4-3 is really suited for all of us on the defensive line.
After building for a 3-4 for four years. Amazing.

Quote:
Instead of sitting and waiting and reacting to somebody, which we did in the 3-4, we can get off the ball and penetrate.
Same song, different player. Seems nobody likes to read and react.

Last edited by Runner; 04-14-2006 at 08:27 AM.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006   #15
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED
First and formost the 34 system was ran by Fagio. If he was running the 43 he would have screwed that up to.
Just like he did when he coached the Colts.
Old 04-14-2006   #16
Tale Gator
________

Rep Power: 15 Tale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden cover

Tha Dirty South D

roll'n with tha 4/ three

Tale Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006   #17
gtexan02
Working?

The thing about TJ is that while he played at FSU, he was pretty much only known for his ability to penetrate. As such, it really makes no sense why he was asked to be a blocker occupying 3-4 DL. I can definitely see why he failed. As a 4-3 DT, I see him causing some serious havoc. He's got great speed, aggressiveness, and size. I'd be willing to bet that our 3 DTs combine for a pretty good season (For some reason I just live R. Smith. He is so huge, seems to give it his all, and has been pretty consisent)
Old 04-14-2006   #18
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Personaly I am happy for Travis Johnson, and Jason Babin. I think that they were two players that could have turned out to be busts in our 34 defense, but when you switch back to the 43 and give them the opportunity to do the things that made them such impact NCAA players, not only will they be more comfortable with the scheme, but because of that, they will make more plays.

Also, Robaire Smith was already a very good player in our 34 but if we give him the opportunity to fire off the ball instead of fighting through double teams, I think he has the ability to be a pro-bowl DT.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read