Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-13-2006   #1
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP
Default Power back

One of the complaints I had last year was not having a back that could consistently pick up 2-3 yards on third and short or goal line. I truly hate most passes in the red zone. With Wells probably gone, what will be the option? Is this a need in 5th or 6th round? Of course, Carr has taken one or two in...
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006   #2
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

What about Robaire Smith? he played FB for a while in the preseason. Kind of like the Fridge.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006   #3
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

If I remember correctly, that was an experiment gone terribly, terribly wrong (1st and 1 at the goal, 2nd and 1 at the goal, 3rd and 1 at the goal, 4th and 1 at the goal, turnover....)
Old 04-13-2006   #4
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
If I remember correctly, that was an experiment gone terribly, terribly wrong (1st and 1 at the goal, 2nd and 1 at the goal, 3rd and 1 at the goal, 4th and 1 at the goal, turnover....)
yup. It was a four and out and some extra downs.
Old 04-13-2006   #5
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

Quote:
it went wrong, but I seriously doubt it was Robaire's fault. I believe the fault was in the coaching. Robaire leveled the guys he blocked, but he went after the wrong guys. To me, that is a couching issue. It just looked like he didn't know who he was supposed to block.
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006   #6
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Bush will be our short yardage back.

Either that, or get Vickers in the draft.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006   #7
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Bush isn't a short yardage guy. Neither is DD, really. Although if youll check, DD has an incredibly successful goaline carry average
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-13-2006   #8
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Quote:
Bush isn't a short yardage guy. Neither is DD, really. Although if youll check, DD has an incredibly successful goaline carry average
I thought we drafted him to be our third down back?
Old 04-13-2006   #9
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

How about we use Moran Norris or Jameel Cook to be our short yardage back
Old 04-13-2006   #10
Keldar
Veteran

See....now, Bush can get 2 to 3 yards just by vaulting over the pile.
Keldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006   #11
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFan881
How about we use Moran Norris or Jameel Cook to be our short yardage back
I think Moran had one carry all season
Old 04-13-2006   #12
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan
I think Moran had one carry all season
I know I'm just throwing it out there
Old 04-13-2006   #13
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1859 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected

If your looking for a power back they better stay away from Lendale White. That tub of lard can't get two yards on fourth down in the Rose Bowl much less the NFL.
sakebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006   #14
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 11 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

Quote:
Bush isn't a short yardage guy.
Hog wash!!!

Bush has to get past the first yard before he can pick up the second, third, forth, etc......If you can't pick up one yard, then he can't pick up 20. Just because Bush is not expected to be a "between the tackles runner" doesn't mean we shouldn't use him in short yardage.
Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006   #15
Texans86
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan
What about Robaire Smith? he played FB for a while in the preseason. Kind of like the Fridge.
Unfortunately, I think Smith only got a chance to block on that set of downs. It was funny, because he blocked extremely well, but someone else was able to hit the back. He ended up in the endzone everytime after his block, so it probably would have been better if he had just taken the ball himself. I think it's a distinct possibility, if the new staff thinks he is capable of holding on to the ball. I think he'd be a great short yardage back, he's pretty quick for a big guy, and doesn't look like he's afraid to hit someone. I always wondered why big guys didn't get some carries since they can be hard to get down.
Old 04-14-2006   #16
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

edit: it was supposed to be in another thread.
Old 04-14-2006   #17
Big78
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Big78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharton
Hog wash!!!

Bush has to get past the first yard before he can pick up the second, third, forth, etc......If you can't pick up one yard, then he can't pick up 20. Just because Bush is not expected to be a "between the tackles runner" doesn't mean we shouldn't use him in short yardage.
I agree that bush will be able to run between the tackles better than people think, but what makes short yardage different is that they stack the box and put 8 or 9 guys right at the line. u have to either be really strong or really slippery to get through, and some backs are really good at getting those yards (Domanic Davis in my opinion) and some just dont seem to ever pick the right gap or make the right move to get there, Reggie Bush hasnt proven that he can do that, yet. (but i do think he will be better at it than people think he will be.)

-Homer Stokes
Big78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006   #18
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Look for DD or Jameel Cook to get the call in those stacked situations. DD and Bush have somewhat similar styles of running while in traffic, but DD is a bit more powerful, likely due to his compact build, so look for him to get the call early and then Jameel Cook if DD cannot get the job done.
Old 04-14-2006   #19
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach C.
Look for DD or Jameel Cook to get the call in those stacked situations. DD and Bush have somewhat similar styles of running while in traffic, but DD is a bit more powerful, likely due to his compact build, so look for him to get the call early and then Jameel Cook if DD cannot get the job done.
Agreed. I don't expect to ever see Robaire Smith in the offensive backfield for us.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006   #20
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

No one mentioned TE Mark Breuner @ 6'4"260 lbs and has "some" experience with ball in his hands. Is that a possibility? No one thinks we should use a 6th or our last 7th for a 'bruiser' type? Well, I hope this is not as big as a concern as I first thought.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read