Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-12-2006   #1
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Have you "changed your mind" since the Rose Bowl?

I seriously would like to know if any of you have changed your mind since the Rose Bowl regarding who the Texans should take in the draft.

And why?

This has to do with McClain and Justice switching from the "Draft Vince" to the "Draft Bush" bandwagon, and some are excusing it as "the right to change their minds".

I don't recall anyone changing their minds over this issue. It's about as polarized as it possibley could get, IMO.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006   #2
Texans86
All Pro

I in fact have changed my mind, but not in the Vince Young vs. Reggie Bush debate. I never thought Young would be a good choice, and I thought we had more needs than Bush could solve; therefore, I chose to trade down. Now that we've solved many of our offseason woes, I believe we can pick up Bush and still fill in needs at cornerback, safety and offensive line elsewhere in the draft. Would I be opposed to trading down, no. But now I'm not against drafting Bush. So I have changed my mind.
Old 04-12-2006   #3
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

nope.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Yes, absolutely....... before the RoseBowl, I was in the trade down only camp. We don't need a RB, we had too many wholes......... then after the RoseBowl, I was still firmly in the trade down camp........ but man I wish Vince would enter the draft...

5 days later, when he announced that he will enter the draft, I was like yes..... I hope the Texans trade down, or pick Vince.....

After Kubiak has done his thing, and addressed every one of our major needs, I moved into the draft Vince camp........ no reason to trade down.

They extended Carr's contract, signed Sage Rosenfells, & I'm like........... uhh..... damn, I liked Dave Ragone too, but oh well....... he'll get a chance somewhere else.

We've got DD, We've got Morency, but we've got to add another runnngback before the season starts.......... looks like the Texans are holding out for Reggie Bush.......... but I'm still hoping........

Everything Points to the Texans taking Reggie Bush......... but I hope they take Young.

Looks like the Texans are going to draft Reggie with the #1 overall, but I hope they draft Vince Young.

Only an insane, non-football knowing, ignorant ****, man-crush having, in the deepest of deepest denial, 6 scoring wonderlich tested person would think that the Houston Texans would draft Vince Young, but I hope they draft Vince Young.
Old 04-12-2006   #5
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

before i was in the trade-down for mario/d'brick camp because i felt we had to fill needs with all our picks but after our great FA and doing more research into other o-line prospect im now firmly in the draft reggie camp
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006   #6
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5
before i was in the trade-down for mario/d'brick camp because i felt we had to fill needs with all our picks but after our great FA and doing more research into other o-line prospect im now firmly in the draft reggie camp
Same.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006   #7
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, this is my fault that I didn't make it clearer, so allow my to clarify . . .

For those of you who wanted Vince after the Rose Bowl, have you since then changed your mind to Reggie? . . . . like Justice and McClain. And for those you who wanted Reggie after the Rose Bowl, have you changed your mind to Vince?

Trade-downers don't apply.

I want to find out if Justice and McClain are the only two souls on this earth who have 'changed their minds' from drafting Vince to drafting Reggie.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-12-2006   #8
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

No...after the rose bowl, when it finally became apparent that Vince would declare, I wanted him. havent stopped yet. Wont change until april 29th-30ish. Just a friendly reminder, I stop the arguing when we pick.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006   #9
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Oh boy, another VY/Reggie thread

I don't think it's that complicated. Over the past several weeks, Justice and McClain seem to have resigned to the fact that the Texans are going to draft Bush and not Vince. They appear to be somewhat reluctant Bush bandwagon jumpers who both would have preferred Vince, but realize #5 might be pretty good too.

Aside from the orangebloods threatening to cancel season tickets and buy Titans 10 jerseys, I would assume there are a lot of Texans fans who feel the same way, i.e., prefer Vince but will accept and fully support Carr and Bush if that's the way it turns out. Count me as one of those.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006   #10
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

Nope. Not once. Have been in Camp Reggie since The USC/Notre Dame game. It seemd like he went off for 50 yards every time he touched the ball in that game.
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
Well, this is my fault that I didn't make it clearer, so allow my to clarify . . .

For those of you who wanted Vince after the Rose Bowl, have you since then changed your mind to Reggie? . . . . like Justice and McClain. And for those you who wanted Reggie after the Rose Bowl, have you changed your mind to Vince?

Trade-downers don't apply.

I want to find out if Justice and McClain are the only two souls on this earth who have 'changed their minds' from drafting Vince to drafting Reggie.

BHave they changed their mind?? Or are they just being sensible. Supporting the decision they think Houston is going to make? Surely they aren't saying Vince isn't worthy of the #1 overall.

I'll start rooting for Reggie after Sept 10th. But that won't change my mind about what I think Vince will mean to his team in the future. As long as he doesn't go to the Cursed Saints, Arizona, or Detroit, he's going to be very successful.

If GreenBay gets him, watch out.
Old 04-12-2006   #12
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

did you watch the arizona state game? i don't think he was tackled at all.
Old 04-12-2006   #13
Nighthawk
All Pro

I'll say it here just one time--I think Bush will be a bust in the NFL. I hope I'm wrong about this, but I just don't see his skill set transferring to the major leagues. Everything that's good about him relies on the other players being slower and less agile and I just don't think we're going to find that in the NFL.

Mind you, even as a bust he'll be a decent player, but he will not be like head and shoulders above DDavis, for example.

As I say, I hope I'm very wrong.

And no, I haven't changed my mind since the Rose Bowl. Either Vince or trade down, or, in the best case, trade down & take Vince.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006   #14
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 12 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

Nope, my views have not changed. I would still like for us to take Vince because I don't think David Carr is going to be a good quarterback. Frankly, DC looked like a scared kitten last year mostly due to all the sacks he has taken over the years. At this point, since taking VY is almost a none issue, I am hoping I am wrong about DC and he becomes a stable QB.

I have stopped posting about the subject on this board since the option signing because I just don't see any justification for keeping that much money tied up in the quarterback position and, also, itís a tired subject.
Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006   #15
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk
I'll say it here just one time--I think Bush will be a bust in the NFL. I hope I'm wrong about this, but I just don't see his skill set transferring to the major leagues. Everything that's good about him relies on the other players being slower and less agile and I just don't think we're going to find that in the NFL.
doesn't really make sense. you could say the same thing about barry sanders in college.
Old 04-12-2006   #16
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

No, I haven't. And Justice and McClain haven't changed their minds either. They still want the Texans to draft Vince.
Old 04-12-2006   #17
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Mind you, even as a bust he'll be a decent player, but he will not be like head and shoulders above DDavis, for example.

And no, I haven't changed my mind since the Rose Bowl. Either Vince or trade down, or, in the best case, trade down & take Vince.
Nope, I've been a trade down and draft brick guy since the end of the season. Been waiting on him for four years, we've got him in the cross hairs and we're gonna spit the bit. I'm not going to sit here and say Bush is going to be a bust. But....there's a reason no one is moving up for the greatest player of the decade, er ever. I've thought all along both sides have been dazzeled. Young's warts are obvious also. The only team I know that ran a spread in the NFL was Warren Moon. He was a true pocket passer, who had two HOFers @ gaurd and a pretty fair center and tackles, and they couldn't get it done. Texan's have no where near that level of offensive line tallent. And after a fifty million payout to whomever... they're not likely to get one anytime soon. That being said, Young's flaws are ingrained now. He sets his feet the way he sets his feet. He throws the ball the way he throws the ball. And no matter how hard he works....that isn't going to change. Improve maybe. So what you're basically saying with Young is, we're going to run the spread. And I do not believe the spread run 85% of the time will function in the NFL. I also don't believe Kubes is going to throw twenty years of learning down the tubes because Young is a rare tallent.
I also beleive with bush, every team we face will go nickel defense every down he hits the feild.. Do just what Texas did force him out of bounds. I hear he can run between the tackles. I hear that he can pass block. I haven't seen it yet. 201 Pounds is still 201 pounds. I believe Bush will be the guy. I'm not thrilled about it though.
We'll see, sisxteen more days.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006   #18
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 13945 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna
doesn't really make sense. you could say the same thing about barry sanders in college.
Exactly. You could also say that Vince Young's success relies on college pass rushers, and in general a lot of guys who just couldn't catch him. It's the exact same argument for both cases. To tell you the truth... I was anti-Bush before the Rose Bowl, and I was pro-Vince after it, until about a month ago. I realized, as many have, that it is not in the better interest of our team to pick him up. Here are my explanations:

1) David Carr has taken a significant extension that will go to waste if we pick up another QB. IMO if you truely do believe that Carr is over and done with.... you should still not want Vince Young. Leinart is a better QB, and will work better with Kubiak's new O-line. VY's throwing style will not be successful in the NFL... and his legs will not be used nearly as much as they were in college.

2) I love Domanick Davis. I hated to see him injured and out of play for parts of last year. If we have Reggie, the load will be shifted.... which will give us extra years with DD. I don't see Reggie as a replacement.... I see him as someone that will share the load. Reggie will never, IMO, be able to successfully push the ball up the middle. DD can do that. That's why I will love to see Davis training a young stud like Bush next year. So much potential.

3) Reggie Bush is considered the highest college prospect in the past 15 years. Does this mean that he will be the best RB in all NFL history? Absolutely not. I don't want you to think that I am blindly in love with the kid. He can bust, just like others have. But the 1st round pick is for BPA... and this year it should be no exception. Had we given Carr the boot this offseason... I would be explaining to you reasons why we should get a QB over Reggie, because there is tons of talent in the QB area. But I think Kubiak has something up his sleeve.... he has a strange Bill Belichick aura about him.

In the end... I just believe that Vince Young should not even be a discussion on this forum anymore. Vince will do well in Oakland (which is IMO where he will end up next year), but he would suffer here. Kubiak is already making changes to the O-line that will suit Reggie (like taking out heavier run blockers, like Todd Wade, and putting in quicker linemen), and Bush is the type of back that Kubes works well with. I also firmly believe, and defend, the thought that Kubiak can turn David into the "drop back and pass" type of guy he should be.... unlike Caper's version of him.

Next year will either be the Texans greatest move... our their worst nightmare. I, for one, foresee winning seasons.

Old 04-12-2006   #19
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Welcome to the club nighthawk...that makes two of us that i know of...I just dont see it either. If he becomes a texan i hope im wrong, but I think he is destined for failure

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006   #20
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

At first I got really hyped over Vince Young and how good I thought he was that day during the Rose Bowl and how good he could be on our team. But than I went to bed and the next day I woke up and came back to my senses and realized just because VY played better than RB that game didn't mean he was better all season. At that point I sort of didn't think that the Texans could make a bad pick but then after RBs fantastic pro day I am pro-RB and I don't know how we don't pick him. I like him so much now that I'd almost hate to see us trade down and not get him.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read