Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-12-2006   #1
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek
Default Arrington, Woodson, and Law Still Out There: Are We Interested?

Didn't see anything on this recently, so I thought I would mention it.

Arrington, Woodson, and Law are still unsigned. I know Woodson and Arrington are considered problem children in their own right, and are asking for a lot of money, but assuming that either (a) you believe they are worth it, or (b) they drop their asking price, would you be interested?

I like Arrington, the Redskins' complaints be damned, and I think he could do well here with a fresh start. He is a freak of nature athletically who has plenty left in his tank. IMO Law is too old but there is nothing says he couldn't play nickel for us and school the young guys. Not sure about Woodson.

Your takes?

Kirwan briefly mentions the three at http://nfl.com/news/story/9370645
Old 04-12-2006   #2
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Aren't those guys represented by the Postons? Any collelation between still being available and their representation?
Old 04-12-2006   #3
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 3484 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected

i dont see any reason for these guys to want to come to the texans. theyre all old and probably want to go to a contender. BUT, id take ty law for two years at 5 mil each.
thetexanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006   #4
TommyS
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckm
Aren't those guys represented by the Postons? Any collelation between still being available and their representation?
from profootballtalk.com
"ARRINGTON PUTTING HEAT ON POSTONS?

There's talk in league circles that linebacker LaVar Arrington is putting some pressure on agents Carl and Kevin Poston based on their failure to get him a long-term contract on the free-agent market.

Arrington gave up $4.4 million in earned but unpaid bonus money with the Redskins in order to hit the market four months earlier than he otherwise would have. We assumed at the time that the Postons had a new deal in their back pockets that would have paid Arrington the $4.4 million, and a lot more, up front.

But days have become weeks and Arrington still is waiting for someone to offer the kind of money that his agents have been demanding.

The problem, as we see it, is that Arrington has unrealistic expectations -- and that the Postons have done nothing to rein him in. For example, they apparently didn't spend any time gauging the market for Arrington, possibly because they have pissed off so many teams over the years that no one is willing to give them insights as to what their guy can expect to get paid. With that information, the Postons could have gone back to Arrington and explained to him that what he wants and what he'll get are two different things.

Sure, there's a chance that Arrington would have reacted negatively, and possibly would have fired them. But if they're now on track to be fired anyway, the Postons could have spent their time trying to get their other high-profile, high-expectations clients (Charles Woodson and Ty Law) under contract.

Before they get new agents, too."
TommyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006   #5
LBblitz
Veteran

We still have four first day draft picks to sign, I just dont think we have enough money to go after any of these guys.
Old 04-12-2006   #6
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetexanator
i dont see any reason for these guys to want to come to the texans. theyre all old and probably want to go to a contender. BUT, id take ty law for two years at 5 mil each.
So you pick the oldest one of the three?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006   #7
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

No, he picked the only player who went to the Pro Bowl last year!
Old 04-12-2006   #8
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 38035 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

I would'nt might signing Charles Woodson and converting him to a Free-Safety. Then we could have a chance at drafting Antonio Cromartie with our 2nd pick.....
Our secondary would be Cromartie and Robinson at corner, and Woodson and Brown at safety....
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006   #9
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

I like the idea of Ty Law the most. A DB combo of Dunta, Law, and Buchanon (who I see improving next year) will be great. Ty Law has been an impact player no matter what team he's on.
Old 04-12-2006   #10
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88375 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

No thanks, I will pass on all three.

I want to build for the future with good team players.

I would like to see players in these positions addressed in the draft however.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006   #11
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetexanator
No way I'd pay Law that much at his age. I'd prefer us to have just kept Aaron Glenn. I wouldn't mind Arrington if he's going to play within the system our coaches have and Woodson would be an interestig addition as a decent CB/FS (can you imagine a defense of Anthony Weaver at LE, Robaire Smith and Seth Payne at DT, Mario WIlliams at RE, then Arrington at SLB, Wong at MLB, and Orr/Greenwood at WLB, then Dunta and a Johnathan Joseph/Cromartie/Youboty at CB, Woodson at FS, and Brown/Earl at SS), but considering it's this late in free agency and they apparently haven't made any attempts at any of these three guys I doubt we are interested at all. We also probably don't have the cap room to sign one of them at the rate they are likely seeking and still be able to afford all of our rookies.

As a side note, a lot of players would like to come to Houston if the price is right, it is a great city, we have no state income tax, we have a new and seemingly dynamic coaching staff and great facilities. A month ago not many people thought Eric Moulds would choose us over the Eagles and whoever else was pursuing him.

Last edited by MorKnolle; 04-12-2006 at 08:41 PM.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006   #12
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan
No thanks, I will pass on all three.

I want to build for the future with good team players.

I would like to see players in these positions addressed in the draft however.
So you can't get one of these three players and develop new players behind them for the future from the draft at the same time...
Old 04-12-2006   #13
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
No way I'd pay Law that much at his age. I'd prefer us to have just kept Aaron Glenn. I wouldn't mind Arrington if he's going to play within the system our coaches have and Woodson would be an interestig addition as a decent CB/FS, but considering it's this late in free agency and they apparently haven't made any attempts at any of these three guys I doubt we are interested at all. We also probably don't have the cap room to sign one of them at the rate they are likely seeking and still be able to afford all of our rookies.
I know, hoping we can sign any of these three is being a little greedy after such a great offseason...
Old 04-13-2006   #14
JAXwithanX
Veteran

...Lavar Arrington isn't what i would call 'old.' He is going to be a great linebacker for somebody....and probably be worth the contract. But the fact is we don't have the money for any of these guys.
JAXwithanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006   #15
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

I'd pass on them in favor of young blood. I don't want the Texans to become like the Raiders, a black hole where good athletes go to pasture...
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006   #16
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I'd wait until after the June 1st cuts and see if you can get one of those three on a discount. That is the Patriots and Eagles way of doing business.
Old 04-13-2006   #17
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

Only one I'd even want is Arrington...Too bad we need to save our $$ for the draft.
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006   #18
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

I'm happy with us saving our money for Reggie Bush.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006   #19
CaptainPatriot
Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainPatriot
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek
Didn't see anything on this recently, so I thought I would mention it.

Arrington, Woodson, and Law are still unsigned. I know Woodson and Arrington are considered problem children in their own right, and are asking for a lot of money, but assuming that either (a) you believe they are worth it, or (b) they drop their asking price, would you be interested?

I like Arrington, the Redskins' complaints be damned, and I think he could do well here with a fresh start. He is a freak of nature athletically who has plenty left in his tank. IMO Law is too old but there is nothing says he couldn't play nickel for us and school the young guys. Not sure about Woodson.

Your takes?

Kirwan briefly mentions the three at http://nfl.com/news/story/9370645

Law want to much money! He will go to the highest bidder
Old 04-16-2006   #20
Bronco Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 29 Bronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Bronco Texan Send a message via Yahoo to Bronco Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oso
I'd pass on them in favor of young blood. I don't want the Texans to become like the Raiders, a black hole where good athletes go to pasture...

I'm sorry but no young corner we draft is going to catch 10 ints. Yeah that is how many the old man Law caught last year. I want to win now and if we had a chance at Law I'd take it!
Bronco Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read