Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-11-2006   #1
StateChamps06
Rookie

Default Linebackers

Since the new D is gonna be a 4-3, who are the big 3 LB's gonna be?
StateChamps06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006   #2
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

As of right now probably Shantee Orr and Morlon Greenwood at OLB and Kailee Wong/Sam Cowart at MLB.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006   #3
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm sure the coaches have a first cut at a depth chart after the past couple of weeks. Too bad no one can spare a reporter to ask 'em.
Old 04-11-2006   #4
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Greenwood and Wong Outside and Cowart at MLB
Old 04-11-2006   #5
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Probably the only spot which is close to locked down at this point is Greenwood at WLB. SLB and MLB are up to training camp battles among Sam Cowart, Kailee Wong, Shantee Orr, Terry Pierce, Charlie Anderson and DaShon Polk.
Old 04-11-2006   #6
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Probably the only spot which is close to locked down at this point is Greenwood at WLB. SLB and MLB are up to training camp battles among Sam Cowart, Kailee Wong, Shantee Orr, Terry Pierce, Charlie Anderson and DaShon Polk.
Isn't Wong out until week 8 or so?
Old 04-12-2006   #7
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

Orr Cowart GreenWood
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-12-2006   #8
CoastalTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 30 CoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to CoastalTexan

I want to see Orr more, it seemed he was the only player not going along with the losing plan. He was doing TOO good for the Texans.
CoastalTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006   #9
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
I'm sure the coaches have a first cut at a depth chart after the past couple of weeks. Too bad no one can spare a reporter to ask 'em.
That is because neither Vince Young or Reggie Bush play LB
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006   #10
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags
\
That's what I heard and I don't see how he's gonna beat out Cowart at MLB anyway. That seems like a lock to me.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006   #11
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags
Yeah, I should have included him as a next season wild card in the equation rather than a training camp battler.
Old 04-12-2006   #12
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Cowart was brought in to add leadership to the linebacker corps, and with Wong out, he is the #1 fit into the MLB position (JMO). The stuff I have read about the guy indicates that he is well respected by his teammates, even if his numbers aren't the most impressive, but that could be due in part to the fact that he is injury-prone (the only aspect of this acquisition I don't like, especially since Wong is already out).

http://www.startribune.com/dynamic/m...?story=5767774

For last year, he is listed as having 71 tackles and 2 sacks.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player?statsId=4299

I compared that with Orr and Greenwood's performances from 2005. Orr had 34 tackles and 7 sacks. Greenwood had 82 tackles and 2 sacks.

I hope the sack ratio increases with the shift to the 4-3.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006   #13
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

cowart will be the starter at MLB...greenwood will be the starter at the WLB...now the question is who is the starter at SLB...wong would be if he was healthy...i think we'll see a TC battle between orr and polk...maybe even rainer...then you throw in a draft pick possibily...should be a good training camp
Old 04-12-2006   #14
done88
Veteran

What if the Texans are planning on trading the first pick and nbringing in AJ Hawk. We need a sam backer and I would like to see him patrollong the fiels.
Old 04-12-2006   #15
kcwilson
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by done88
What if the Texans are planning on trading the first pick and nbringing in AJ Hawk. We need a sam backer and I would like to see him patrollong the fiels.
Name one realistic scenario where we bring in A.J. Hawk...

No one will trade up to #1, because they can trade to #2 and get what they want. If we to think about trading down, then with WHO? No one in there wants to trade up to #1. I think Hawk is a big time stretch.

Cowart and Greenwood seem solid starters. Orr is high powered and ought to get the best chance to start.

Rainier is depth, and as my brother is a Lions fan, said he is terrible in pass coverage, but was a good signing for providing depth.

Terry Pierce was an interesting signing... anyone have the background on him and the dirt as to why we grabbed him up so fast? Was he a Kub favorite in denver?
kcwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006   #16
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcwilson
Terry Pierce was an interesting signing... anyone have the background on him and the dirt as to why we grabbed him up so fast? Was he a Kub favorite in denver?
Pierce was a mid 2nd round pick but has not had much playing time because the Broncos have 3 time in the last 4 years pro-bowler Al Wilson at MLB.
Old 04-12-2006   #17
kcwilson
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Pierce was a mid 2nd round pick but has not had much playing time because the Broncos have 3 time in the last 4 years pro-bowler Al Wilson at MLB.
Has to be more to the story to have signed him in mid-January... was he released or contract expired, or cut? It is just an odd timing to sign someone before Free agency period... there must be circumstances around him.
Old 04-12-2006   #18
kcwilson
All Pro

From http://www.thehuddle.com/nfl_team_rp...around-DEN.php

"The Broncos used a 2003 second-round pick on Terry Pierce, but Pierce never developed and was released after two nondescript seasons. "

Seems to be a project of sorts, that used to have upside. Orr I think is our solid SLB.
Old 04-12-2006   #19
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Orr has a lot of potential, he played with a lot of fire in his belly last year.

Who knows what training camp holds, but I like Orr, Cowart, Greenwood right now as starters.
Old 04-12-2006   #20
DominickDavisFan76
Veteran

I want to see our LB that plays for the Berlin Thunder, his name is Andre Torrey

he is a true playmaker for NFL Europe, just watch him play

he is a LB that has a nose for the ball like Troy Polamaulu does, he will make in the NFL for sure

O yea we just re signed Kenneth Pettway y not give him a shot, I mean u paid him put him on the field.
DominickDavisFan76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read