Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-11-2006   #1
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans and the Media

The media doesn't seem to be reporting much on what is happening in Reliant right now. Does anyone know why that is? Is it because they don't think anyone is interested in anything but the draft? Is Kubiak restricting access so as not to tip the Texans' hand to opponents?

If it is the media's choice, I think they are really missing out on some good stuff. We have a new system on both sides of the ball, and the coaches are evaluating the players that remain on our roster as well as free agent signees. They are slotting them into the systems right now. This would be good stuff to report!

I know some of you know people in the media. What's going on?
Old 04-12-2006   #2
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Another fantastic article in the Chronicle - the Bush/Young debate for the Titans.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/3788165.html

Too bad they won't report on the o-line depth chart the coaches are working with. That would make for good reading and lively debate.
Old 04-12-2006   #3
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
The media doesn't seem to be reporting much on what is happening in Reliant right now. Does anyone know why that is? Is it because they don't think anyone is interested in anything but the draft? Is Kubiak restricting access so as not to tip the Texans' hand to opponents?

If it is the media's choice, I think they are really missing out on some good stuff. We have a new system on both sides of the ball, and the coaches are evaluating the players that remain on our roster as well as free agent signees. They are slotting them into the systems right now. This would be good stuff to report!

I know some of you know people in the media. What's going on?
I don't think anyone outside of Houston cares about the Texans. Thats why the Dallas game is so important.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006   #4
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED
I don't think anyone outside of Houston cares about the Texans. Thats why the Dallas game is so important.
I understand that - I'm talking about the local media; I should have been clearer.

I have a solution though! Here are two suggested column ideas:

1) Would Bush or Young perform better behind our revamped line?

2) How will Bush run against our revamped linebacking group in practice?

That way the reporter could spend at least two, maybe as high as three, sentences on the new line-ups before transitioning to what's really important (to them).
Old 04-12-2006   #5
Samer
Veteran

After a 2-14 season do you think media would care for any team thta goes 2-14, let us remain underdogs and go out there and show everyone what we are really made out of this year
Old 04-12-2006   #6
kcwilson
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP

Quote:
Is Kubiak restricting access so as not to tip the Texans' hand to opponents?
If anything, the Texans are really the most predictable team right now. Their draft choice seems inevitable...

With exception of RT and SLB, the team seems to have a starting set of palyers, plus we are coming off a 2-14 season... not a lot of information to protect right now.

Fortunately, there is a possiblity of being able to surprise teams since they obviosuly don't build their teams to stop us... as opposed to many AFC South teams that *tried* to stack deep with 3 CBs last year to neutralize Stokley, Harrison, and Wayne. This could be the best time to strike with Indy early on our schedule since they won't have seen the new offense all that much.
kcwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

This town hasn't been the same since the Post folded. A one newspaper town gets bad coverage.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-12-2006   #8
Eyeguy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
This town hasn't been the same since the Post folded. A one newspaper town gets bad coverage.
AMEN!
Eyeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006   #9
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcwilson
If anything, the Texans are really the most predictable team right now. Their draft choice seems inevitable...

With exception of RT and SLB, the team seems to have a starting set of palyers, plus we are coming off a 2-14 season... not a lot of information to protect right now.

Fortunately, there is a possiblity of being able to surprise teams since they obviosuly don't build their teams to stop us... as opposed to many AFC South teams that *tried* to stack deep with 3 CBs last year to neutralize Stokley, Harrison, and Wayne. This could be the best time to strike with Indy early on our schedule since they won't have seen the new offense all that much.
We are at a disadvantage with all of our new players, but the above is a neutralizer. I feel the same way. If you keep the ball out of Manning's hands he gets nervous. If you can pressure him, he gets nervous. Without James they are going to have to make some adjustments. I think we have a real shot at them in the 2nd game.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006   #10
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I understand that - I'm talking about the local media; I should have been clearer.

I have a solution though! Here are two suggested column ideas:

1) Would Bush or Young perform better behind our revamped line?

2) How will Bush run against our revamped linebacking group in practice?

That way the reporter could spend at least two, maybe as high as three, sentences on the new line-ups before transitioning to what's really important (to them).
Not in Houston myself, but I check the chron each day. And it is awful that they do not have anyone documenting Kubiak's first 100 days.
Old 04-12-2006   #11
CoastalTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 30 CoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to CoastalTexan

I agree, the sports writers suck. Thats why I say my cousin ("Barzilla", known to us here on the forum, who started the famous thread "Operation Bush") to take their place. He has 2 sports books to his name and would do a hell lot better job than these good ol boys. While I was in Iraq with once a week computer access he wrote Houston sports updates to me and I had more information out of those than reading the chronicle for months. But yeah we need some healthy competition to weed out the weak.

Last edited by CoastalTexan; 04-12-2006 at 11:15 PM.
CoastalTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006   #12
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 298506 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

yeah, I'm not very impressed with our local media. Hopefully things will pick up after the draft, and coverage will definitely change once we start winning. Everyone loves a winner.
Old 04-12-2006   #13
horn_omatic
Rookie

Vinny is so right. My dad just moved to east texas and gets the dallas paper and the sports page is 10 times better than the chronicle. Richard Justice is a ut homer, John Lopez is an aggie homer and John Mcclain is just a knuckle head. My god i cannot stand when i turn on 610 and McClain is on:brickwall . All he does is name drop and swing on the titans grapes. Oh yeah and how he acts like a movie critic, shut your hole McClain!
Old 04-13-2006   #14
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Agreed.
Houston has been and will always be a baseball town first. The only time that wasn't true was in 94' & 95' when the rockets were winning. Other than that, from January to October, it will be baseball. Untill a football team wins, it's going to stay that way. I often wondered why baseball could have a hot stove league and football could not. I will say the coverage is a lot better than it was twenty years ago. Brief snipettes from Joel Bushbaum once a week and that was it. At least now we get a little draft/ movement coverage. Probably has something to do with the internet. In other words, they wouldn't cover off season football if they had a choice. This is the second dead zone. The third will come after the draft, before camps start up. . To be honset, if it wasn't for the sports page, I'd of cancelled a long time ago.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006   #15
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn_omatic
...and John Mcclain is just a knuckle head.
I prefer "moose knuckle" to describe John McClain.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006   #16
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Where have the assistant coaches gone? Not even boo about Sherman or any of the other coaches other than may be Shan trying to deal with Mathis. Does Kubiak want it that way or is this just a lack of coverage thing?

I supose they don't want to tip their hand too much before the start of the season, but it would certainly be nice to know just a little bit. You know, wet the appitite kind of thing.

Oh, well, it's dead out there as far as news goes. Justice is still doing his thing on VY vs Bush, but other than that not much being said. I think if we go after someone at this point before the draft, it will be for a defensive player.

I think everyone is hunkered down now trying to figure out the draft and working with agents trying to negoiate the 1st round pick. Its going to be interesting. I still say money will be an issue and might well determine who we take with our 1st pick or if we trade down. I still don't think its set in stone as yet despite all of the comments to the contrary.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006   #17
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
Where have the assistant coaches gone? Not even boo about Sherman or any of the other coaches other than may be Shan trying to deal with Mathis.
The assistants are working with their units during off-season workouts. Pre-draft depth charts are roughed in. The "working with" includes instances of extra work and one-on-one coaching of players who need to improve in a specific area or two. There is a lot of evaluation and teaching going on.

It would be an exciting time to talk about, if we could.
Old 04-13-2006   #18
Bullpen Drew
All Pro

It is better to stay under the radar for now....

we are going to be the dark horse in the NFL this year....we have to earn respect.

BTW, Try the Bullpen Drew BBQ joint! Our motto...

"Nobody beats my meat!"
Bullpen Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006   #19
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullpen Drew
It is better to stay under the radar for now....

we are going to be the dark horse in the NFL this year....we have to earn respect.
I don't think a description of the Texans projected o-line would set the rest of the league to scheming their defenses against us.

I'm not talking about national respect, I'm talking about supposed beat reporters.
Old 04-13-2006   #20
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Quote:
This may sound weird, but why can't someone create a website to offer news on Texans? I would enjoy reading interviews with new guys or those that are projected to be back ups like the new TE to back up Putz. Lance Zerline in his email seems to have access to venues like the combine. I read www.houstonprofootball.com but the articles do not seem to come frequent enough for me. The Chronicle does not satisfy my need for info.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read