Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-11-2006   #1
TexansCM
Rookie

Rep Power: 12 TexansCM was voted MVPTexansCM was voted MVPTexansCM was voted MVP
Default Billy Miller

Has anyone heard if the Texans are thinking about bringing back Billy Miller? Today I saw him walking out of the convenience store in Sienna Plantation, I was still in my car so I didn't have a chance to talk to him.

I lived in the same apartment complex as him during the Texans first year and ran into him a few times there and I would have to say he looks like he has added a good deal of muscle weight. Maybe he is ready to step up his game on the blocking front and fight for a position at TE.
TexansCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006   #2
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 173001 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansCM
Has anyone heard if the Texans are thinking about bringing back Billy Miller? Today I saw him walking out of the convenience store in Sienna Plantation, I was still in my car so I didn't have a chance to talk to him.

I lived in the same apartment complex as him during the Texans first year and ran into him a few times there and I would have to say he looks like he has added a good deal of muscle weight. Maybe he is ready to step up his game on the blocking front and fight for a position at TE.
No, No, No. No more bring Billy back threads. The guy couldnt catch on with anyone else in the league. :brickwall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006   #3
footballguy69
Rookie

Default Billy Miller!

I doubt they would sign him because of the logjam at TE now. He still is one of my favorite Texans. Once he left a lot of the "spirit" seemed to leave from the team. I know on paper people say he is not the answer, but all the guy did was catch the football, (very few drops) and score TD's. I think he was in the Capers doghouse for whatever reason. He went to Cleveland but was inactive most of last season. In my opinion, he is a rare type of player who really shines on gameday. I coached a guy like that years ago in youth football. A normal player in high school and college, he tried out for the NFL numerous times to no avail. When he finally got the chance in Cleveland by default, his first game he caught three TD's if I remember correctly. His name......Keenan McCardell. This shows some guys just need a chance. I also think Derrick Armstrong is another player like this. I cannot for the life of me figure out why he does not play more. Go figure!:brickwall
footballguy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006   #4
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

now that we have an HC that uses pass catching TEs.. id love to see Miller get another look.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006   #5
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

Yea then we'd have to cut bruener
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006   #6
TMac48
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to TMac48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas
Yea then we'd have to cut bruener
Why not Murphy?
Old 04-11-2006   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by footballguy69
He still is one of my favorite Texans.

Billy Miller was one of my favorites too....... no, he didn't block, but I thought he was sooooo good, catching the ball for us, that I would take the time to teach him to block. Especially if I were paying someone to be a tightend coach.

When he left, I didn't know what was going on........ I wasn't very active on the board then, and thought he must've got hurt, but they never said much about him.....
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-11-2006   #8
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

We just brought in Putzier to be our main pass catching TE, and he's played in Kubiak's system the last several years rather than being cut from the Texans then riding the bench with the Browns for most of a season before being cut from there too, as Billy Miller has done. The Texans have no reason to bring Billy Miller back.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak was with the Broncos when they let Billy Miller go after three years on the team (in which time he had 6 receptions). Assuming he agreed with that decision (likely as the OC) it seems unlikely Miller has any prospects with the Texans.
Old 04-12-2006   #10
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Rep Power: 2075 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

i've always got love for billy, no matter what, i say bring him back
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006   #11
Scott D
Veteran

I found this

http://www.footballguys.com/03face_billymiller.htm
Scott D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006   #12
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Glad I tuned in this morning!! One of my favorite topics!! Nothing I would like more than for Billy to get the chance to represent the Texans again. I would be estatic!!! BUT!! Doubtful it will ever happen! David Carr and Billy Miller are friends. David lives in Sienna Plantation. Most likely just down for a visit.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006   #13
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

I think Billy Miller did a great job as a Texan, but the team has moved forward. Now we have Bruener, Putzier, and Joppru. If Joppru lives up to the billing of multi-dimensional, then he could be the #1 TE on the team. It is not like, but possible. Billy Miller is not coming back.
Old 04-12-2006   #14
TexansCM
Rookie

Rep Power: 12 TexansCM was voted MVPTexansCM was voted MVPTexansCM was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan
Glad I tuned in this morning!! One of my favorite topics!! Nothing I would like more than for Billy to get the chance to represent the Texans again. I would be estatic!!! BUT!! Doubtful it will ever happen! David Carr and Billy Miller are friends. David lives in Sienna Plantation. Most likely just down for a visit.
I thought so too, but he had 2 gallons of milk in his hands.
Old 04-12-2006   #15
TexansCM
Rookie

BTW, I just started the thread to see if anyone else knew anything. I like Billy, but unless he decides to care about pass protection I see no reason to bring him back.
Old 04-12-2006   #16
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

I thought I heard on 610 this morning( I was on tele) that Texans had just signed another TE to one year deal, I did not catch name but a 1 year deal for $750k (?) and said Rivers will not be back and he may be signing in Oakland. Anyone else have more info?
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006   #17
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloy
I thought I heard on 610 this morning( I was on tele) that Texans had just signed another TE to one year deal, I did not catch name but a 1 year deal for $750k (?) and said Rivers will not be back and he may be signing in Oakland. Anyone else have more info?
Texans | B. Steele signed
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 20:50:32 -0700

The Houston Texans have signed free agent TE Ben Steele (Packers) to a one-year contract with a base salary of $350,000.
Old 04-12-2006   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Kubiak was with the Broncos when they let Billy Miller go after three years on the team (in which time he had 6 receptions). Assuming he agreed with that decision (likely as the OC) it seems unlikely Miller has any prospects with the Texans.
6 in his whole career?? & that was enough to lead the Texans in receptions in 2002?? However you slice it, I would have loved for him to have been on this team in 2005.

EDIT: I see.... 6 catches with the Broncos........ sorry......... I'm having problems with my reading comprehension these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott D
Great find.

Quote:
High Side by Maurile Tremblay
Billy Miller and Todd Heap were the only two tight ends in the league to lead their teams in receptions in 2002. Among all tight ends, Miller was fifth in receiving yards (613), and tied for fifth in fantasy points per game (5.7).

The Texans' offense, which was worst in the league last year, should improve with the acquisitions of running back Stacey Mack and offensive linemen Zach Wiegert and Greg Randall. The improvement ought to help Miller add to his numbers from last year, especially in the touchdown department. (David Carr threw only 11 touchdown passes in 2002; three of them were to Miller.)

In addition, the presence of WR Andre Johnson, the team's top draft pick, should prevent opponents from assigning a defensive back to cover Miller, as they often did last year. More frequent match-ups against linebackers instead of safeties can only be good for Miller.

Some may downgrade Miller because the Texans selected a tight end, Bennie Joppru, in the second round of this year's draft. I believe a downgrade for that reason would be a mistake. Although Joppru is not totally one-dimensional, the 274-pounder is known primarily for his blocking, while Miller is primarily a receiver. The Texans like to use multiple-tight end sets, so both Joppru and Miller will get plenty of playing time; but Joppru's presence shouldn't hurt Miller's receiving numbers any more than Ken Dilger's presence hurt Marcus Pollard's receiving numbers in 2001.

A rising tide lifts all ships, and the Texans' offense can only get better. I expect the undervalued Miller to hold his place in the upper second tier of fantasy tight ends.

Low Side by David Shick
Miller is not a special talent. For a guy that is know as a receiving TE, he won't impress you with his speed or great hands. His statistics during the 2002 season were mostly due to a lack of options in the Houston offense. Houston is looking to improve. If they wanted to just survive and remain one of the worst teams in the NFL, Miller would most likely still be worthy of starting on a fantasy team this coming year.

As the team improves, they will look elsewhere for production. QB David Carr will get the opportunity to showcase his rocket arm by utilizing his growing stable of WRs. Houston spent their first two picks in the 2003 draft on WR Andre Johnson (MIA) and TE Bennie Joppru (MICH). Johnson is expected to contribute immediately. Talk is that Joppru may even compete for the starting position. The book on Joppru is that he's an average blocking TE with great hands.

Miller put some numbers up while the Texans spent the year searching for an identity. He won't lead his team in receptions again. He may not even lead his team in TE receptions. Further casting doubt on Miller's situation, he isn't even signed to a contract as of this writing. If Houston does sign him to a contract, the length and terms of this contract may speak volumes about how they feel with regard to him being a centerpiece of the Houston offense in the future.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006   #19
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The Houston Texans have signed free agent TE Ben Steele (Packers) to a one-year contract with a base salary of $350,000.
Anyone know anything about this guy??
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006   #20
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Quote:

Thanks. You seem to have pretty good info, what is your read on this pick up? I assume he will be the back up to Putz?
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read