Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-11-2006   #1
Haams
All Pro

Default Have we got too caught up in excitement?

Honest question guys, 'cause I might be guilty. Is this #1 pick going to hurt us? Are we so excited about getting to choose an elite player that now all we want to debate is Bush and Young, even though during the season we were in pretty much complete agreement that O-Line was a must in the draft. Honestly, QB and RB are the funnest positions to fill, but not necessarilly our biggest weakness. Picking either of those two means throwing the line on the back burner. So the question is: does picking either of the elite players actually place us a year back on building an elite team? I've got my opinions but I want to hear what y'all have to say.
Old 04-11-2006   #2
kbourda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34 kbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respected

If you ask me I think the O-Line got better once they hired Kubiak. I really just didn't care for the last head coaching regime that was here.
Old 04-11-2006   #3
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont think it sets us back. Sherman and Kubiak will be the biggest contriutors to a working Oline, and a working offense. And this draft is deep at Oline..we can still address it in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and even 5th rounds..and still get good quality prospects.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006   #4
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

if we didnt have 4 1st day picks...and especially if we hadn't filled so many of our holes during FA, id agree with you, but now we're headed into the draft in better shape than i could've imagined
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haams
Honest question guys, 'cause I might be guilty. Is this #1 pick going to hurt us? Are we so excited about getting to choose an elite player that now all we want to debate is Bush and Young, even though during the season we were in pretty much complete agreement that O-Line was a must in the draft. Honestly, QB and RB are the funnest positions to fill, but not necessarilly our biggest weakness. Picking either of those two means throwing the line on the back burner. So the question is: does picking either of the elite players actually place us a year back on building an elite team? I've got my opinions but I want to hear what y'all have to say.

I don't know. D'brick is the only OLineman I think is worthy of the #1. Our problem is interior line more than the ends(tackles) I don't know if he's the "can't pass up" kind of player though. Most of the help we could get for the Oline, is going to be there for us with our 2nds and 3rd.

So if we decide to pick Vince........... or Reggie, it won't really hurt our ability to draft the help we need. Trading down to pick up a Safet/Corner is still a viable option.

Talking football in the offseason about relevant info, with guys who know what they are talking about....... priceless.

All though we may be going a tad overboard. There's a faction that wants to make sure everyone knows how stupid it is to want to draft Vince..... I'm getting to the point that I may find it hard to root for Reggie.....

nothing against Reggie, but I don't want to hear all the I told you so's.

I try to point out I don't have anything against Reggie. I like watching football. I like big plays, and I like it when it's our team making those big plays.

I don't have any reason to think Reggie won't be a success....... that has never been an issue for me.

But we shal see.
Old 04-11-2006   #6
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

First off, I am NOT naming any names or referring to anyone in particular. But, does it seem like a lot of the Pro Vince posters have realized that we wont be taking him & out of spite they want to trade down instead of taking Reggie. You are going to sit here & tell me that this team has too many needs to fill to draft reggie, but then turn around and say Take Vince ? A position that is taken and has a large dollar ammount tied up in. OK, I'm done, I just don't get that logic.
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006   #7
CoastalTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 30 CoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to CoastalTexan

Everything a certain poster posts is about a certain player. If that makes sense.
CoastalTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-11-2006   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Honestly, QB and RB are the funnest positions to fill, but not necessarilly our biggest weakness. Picking either of those two means throwing the line on the back burner. So the question is: does picking either of the elite players actually place us a year back on building an elite team?
I'd say if your opinion is not to trade no matter what then yes you are caught up in the hype. Entertaining trade offers has to be part of the equation. At the other end of the spectrum though, you cannot pass up great talent without reasonable compensation so it would be wrong to trade just to trade as well. IMO taking Ferguson at #1 would be forcing a need and weakening the team relative to taking a better player--without a trade it isn't about filling multiple holes it is putting the most talent on the team.
Old 04-11-2006   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
I'd say if your opinion is not to trade no matter what then yes you are caught up in the hype. Entertaining trade offers has to be part of the equation. At the other end of the spectrum though, you cannot pass up great talent without reasonable compensation so it would be wrong to trade just to trade as well. IMO taking Ferguson at #1 would be forcing a need and weakening the team relative to taking a better player--without a trade it isn't about filling multiple holes it is putting the most talent on the team.

Right. Kubes & Cass has done a great job getting some pretty sweet talent on our team. On Offense in 2006, we can put 4 Probowlers on the field at any time, and will have three ProBowlers on most plays...... AJ, Mathis, Flanagan, & Molds... not bad, not bad at all........

Is the Offensive Line fixed?? I don't know...... but there's been quite a bit of activity on the OL......... Brown, gone. Weary signed...... early in Kubes tenor. McKinney paid, Pitts moved back to LT, and Flanagan signed...... and a TE....

And it's not just Kubiak, who has experience with Offensive line talent. he's got Mike Sherman putting in on all these decisions...... And I'm sure Dan Reeves helped in a few of these decisions also.

We've got a team....... on paper, a great team. We should be able to sit on the #1 pick, and expect top dollar........... but how do we define top dollar??

New Orleans might take D'Brick....... they might take Mario....... they might take a QB..... Lienart?? to bolster their QB situation..... Brees is only garunteed(sp) one year.
Tenessee is looking at Vince, and so is GreenBay(so I hear).....

NewYork will probably taking Reggie Bush if given the opportunity.... but could take Mario to replace Abraham, or D'Brick to protect Chad or whoever might be back there.

Nobody really knows what anyone is going to do with their picks....... if you want to gaurantee that you get the player you want...... you're going to need the #1.
Old 04-11-2006   #10
Eyeguy
Veteran

Bush will make the OL better.
Eyeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006   #11
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

no matter who you draft this year you won't be an elite team. so drafting a player simply on need and nothing else at #1 just isn't that smart.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006   #12
Haams
All Pro

Quote:
I agree. I guess my question is have we done enough for the o-line already? and; if we have who is going to benefit more from it - Carr or Davis, or both? With a fixed o-line are running back or qb a need for us?
Old 04-12-2006   #13
TreWardTxn
Veteran

Isn't the logic that there will be other productive/high-caliber DEs and LTs, but we don't expect to see another Bush (or Young) for another 15-20 years? You don't pass that up unless the offers you get are beyond sick...

Hopefully the changes made will appear to make Carr a much better player. If Davis runs for 1100 and Bush another 1300 (all purpose) there is no way Carr couldn't look better...
TreWardTxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
With a fixed o-line are running back or qb a need for us?
Debateable, but there are certainly arguments either is upgradeable. The real issue with the #1 pick is not so much where the need is, but where the greatest talent lies in the draft. We could have no WR's on the roster and it wouldn't make sense to take the top WR at #1 to fill a need because the talent level isn't there this year. Forcing Ferguson into #1 and passing on Bush/Young would just be a lessor version of the same thing.
Old 04-12-2006   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
I agree. I guess my question is have we done enough for the o-line already? and; if we have who is going to benefit more from it - Carr or Davis, or both? With a fixed o-line are running back or qb a need for us?

It doesn't matter if we've done enough or not. We're not going to draft more than 2 OL if that many in 2006. We've already got the picks to do that, and have taken care of so many other needs, we really don't need a plethora of draft picks....

We're in prime position to sit and wait for a grandfather deal. before FA, other teams(GMs) new that we were hurting, and darn near desperate for more picks..... that is not true anymore. We're holding all the cards now.
Old 04-12-2006   #16
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
Is the Offensive Line fixed?? I don't know...... but there's been quite a bit of activity on the OL......... Brown, gone. Weary signed...... early in Kubes tenor. McKinney paid, Pitts moved back to LT, and Flanagan signed...... and a TE....

And it's not just Kubiak, who has experience with Offensive line talent. he's got Mike Sherman putting in on all these decisions...... And I'm sure Dan Reeves helped in a few of these decisions also.
I hope everyone feels the same way about Sherman's o-line competence when the starters are announced if/when they don't fit into the Pitts/McKinney/Flanagan/Weigert/X formula.
Old 04-12-2006   #17
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Debateable, but there are certainly arguments either is upgradeable. The real issue with the #1 pick is not so much where the need is, but where the greatest talent lies in the draft. We could have no WR's on the roster and it wouldn't make sense to take the top WR at #1 to fill a need because the talent level isn't there this year. Forcing Ferguson into #1 and passing on Bush/Young would just be a lessor version of the same thing.
Agreed. I think Ferguson will be a good LT in this league and possibly even great depending on the coaching he receives and how much he can improve his game, but IMO at this time he is an incomplete package and has been overhyped. Wonderful physical gifts to be sure, but if you watch any substantial amount of his tape, he was used at the Senior Bowl and he gets easily beaten by inside moves, almost so repeatedly you would think he was intending the guy to get by. He has a lot of room for improvement but IMO at this time he is not a #1 caliber pickup. So if that Godfather trade does come along and we drop right into a spot where picking up Ferguson would be appropriate, then it becomes a different ballgame. But I do not think we will get that deal and will instead take Bush, though I wish we would take Williams.

Besides, I will go on record as saying that between Sherman and Kubiak and picking up Flanagan (plus later round O-line possibilites) ... our line is already substantially better than it was last year, and might prove to be downright decent. Hell, even pretty good. Look for us to draft O-line or possibly acquire more after the June 1 cuts, but we have already made big strides. So far our offseason is looking quite productive -- the first time I have felt good about our offseason since Day 1 -- and I hope this is a tradition that Kubiak and Co. are setting for the future.
Old 04-12-2006   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
I hope everyone feels the same way about Sherman's o-line competence when the starters are announced if/when they don't fit into the Pitts/McKinney/Flanagan/Weigert/X formula.

I think right now, we're thinking:

Pitts/McKinney/Flanagan/Weary/ Weigart(or X)
Old 04-12-2006   #19
Frank_The_Tank
Veteran

History also shows that the great OL are usually not taken in the first round. Look at the past three years, Alex Barron, Robert Gallery. I think Bass fell to the second or third last yeasr and he was awsome. Of course you have guys like Ogdon, and Pace who were top picks but there have ben alot of first round bust in the OL. All in all its a gamble. You look at all of the sure hit draft picks who have flopped and it proves that no one is a guarentee. I think we need help in the CB, S, and OL. Ty Law is still out there but he asking for huge money. Brad Hopkins is still out there? The draft can be for fun so go for the risky gambles, the only way we can address the problems we have is to bring in some vetran help. Just my 2 cent's We have done a very good job of bringing in those vets this offseason
Frank_The_Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006   #20
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

I think we take bush...2nd round and 3rd round we can adress O-line needs and S-FS needs.
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read