Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-11-2006   #1
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP
Default Mathis not coachable!

http://www.chron.com/content/chronic...6/justmc1.html

This is the Justice and McClain show on the draft and the Texans and he's mentioning young Shan is having trouble with Mathis. I've worried about Shan's age with the receiver coor. I hope Moulds can come in and put Mathis in his place that's where he really could be of additional value.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006   #2
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
http://www.chron.com/content/chronic...6/justmc1.html

This is the Justice and McClain show on the draft and the Texans and he's mentioning young Shan is having trouble with Mathis. I've worried about Shan's age with the receiver coor. I hope Moulds can come in and put Mathis in his place that's where he really could be of additional value.
I'm not in a situation to listen in on any audio right now (GF is sleeping). Do they mention Shan's age as the problem, or is that just them speculating?
Old 04-11-2006   #3
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy
I'm not in a situation to listen in on any audio right now (GF is sleeping). Do they mention Shan's age as the problem, or is that just them speculating?
He's says Mathis is hard headed and knows everything. I suspect if you put JR in the same spot it would be a different reaction. Its my spec that Shan's age is a factor, but I said that from the get go when we were hiring the coaches. That was the one coaching position that worried me. I think the guy is relatively inexperienced at teaching that position. This is where a savy vetern can be a real help. That's why I want Moulds in here training with the guys. He's done it all and can really become the leader of the group. He's been to the probowl more than once and has an outsanding reputation as a receiver. He's also known for his work ethic and being a perfectionist. He's worked out a lot with JR.
Old 04-11-2006   #4
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He's says Mathis is hard headed and knows everything. I suspect if you put JR in the same spot it would be a different reaction. Its my spec that Shan's age is a factor, but I said that from the get go when we were hiring the coaches. That was the one coaching position that worried me. I think the guy is relatively inexperienced at teaching that position. This is where a savy vetern can be a real help. That's why I want Moulds in here training with the guys. He's done it all and can really become the leader of the group. He's been to the probowl more than once and has an outsanding reputation as a receiver. He's also known for his work ethic and being a perfectionist. He's worked out a lot with JR.
I think you're right in that Moulds will definately bring in some authority and needed experience. This might have been the plan all along, skilled but green WR-coach + experienced WR as support. Also, I'm suspecting that while Shan is officially "running the show", he might be recieving some support and mentoring from Kubiak and/or Sherman, or some other "guru"
Old 04-11-2006   #5
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy
I advise investing in a pair of headphones.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Wow, they said Kubiak want's Carr to run more.....JM said Kubiak wants Carr to take off more often, he doesn't want him to run more, but he wants him to take off like John Elway....... keep the defense guessing.
Old 04-11-2006   #7
Malloy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin269
I advise investing in a pair of headphones.
I have that, but I also had a plumber asking me questions all the time and I did not want to miss any of em

Yeah, he's here to fix my pipes...
Old 04-11-2006   #8
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I hate those two men. I turned it off halfway through because of them. It's all about Vince Young for them, and THEN they want Vince to go to Tenn. so he can play us twice a year and create a rivalry that he can write about.
Old 04-11-2006   #9
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
I hate those two men. I turned it off halfway through because of them. It's all about Vince Young for them, and THEN they want Vince to go to Tenn. so he can play us twice a year and create a rivalry that he can write about.
Yep, you have to be patient if you want to get to the interesting parts of that dialogue. Be patient and you will pick up some tibits....
Old 04-11-2006   #10
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

well mathis going to the pro bowl in his first year prolly didnt help the situation any. I mean going to the pro bowl means ur good and maybe he figures he dont need any help since he was so "good" last year. I think A.J could help out J.M Just as easy as Moulds could. I mean AJ is in his 4th year, has a good head n his shoulders, so maybe the to combined can turn Our burner J.M into something more than a cocky return man.
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006   #11
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
well mathis going to the pro bowl in his first year prolly didnt help the situation any. I mean going to the pro bowl means ur good and maybe he figures he dont need any help since he was so "good" last year. I think A.J could help out J.M Just as easy as Moulds could. I mean AJ is in his 4th year, has a good head n his shoulders, so maybe the to combined can turn Our burner J.M into something more than a cocky return man.
The other side of this is how is Kubiak going to react to his coach airing this to the public. I think we all like to know about these things as fans, but some of these things are best kept inside. One thing is for certain and that is JM is not about to keep to much to himself.
Old 04-11-2006   #12
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
The other side of this is how is Kubiak going to react to his coach airing this to the public. I think we all like to know about these things as fans, but some of these things are best kept inside. One thing is for certain and that is JM is not about to keep to much to himself.

yeah i agree, plus i think it is way to early for him to say that about J.M. haha speaking of that i'm curious to see if kubiak is one of them throw stuff scream till ur read guys, or just stand there and keep ur cool guys. But i wouldnt Give up on J.M just yet, plus as long as he can give us good consistent field position on KR, i'll be happy, cause i dont know of many good WR who are good KR too.
Old 04-11-2006   #13
Wild.Bill
Rookie

Just another example of an athlete that thinks he's above everything around him including his teammates and coaches. Shanahan's age doesn't have anything to do with Mathis being a meat head. Kyle did a good job in Denver and was well respected 'despite' his young age because of his football IQ. These football players are making millions of dollars and there is no excuse for them to let their ego's get in the way of the team and coaches.
I say he either needs to shape up, or ship out. We don't need his crap!!!
Wild.Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006   #14
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild.Bill
Just another example of an athlete that thinks he's above everything around him including his teammates and coaches. Shanahan's age doesn't have anything to do with Mathis being a meat head. Kyle did a good job in Denver and was well respected 'despite' his young age because of his football IQ. These football players are making millions of dollars and there is no excuse for them to let their ego's get in the way of the team and coaches.
I say he either needs to shape up, or ship out. We don't need his crap!!!
OK, no more coffee for you for a while.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006   #15
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

for about another 2 Kick off returns and an avg of 30.0 yrds per return i'll put up with his crap ell a "little" not like T.Os crap or anything though !
Old 04-11-2006   #16
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 78716 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Athletes like Mathis with attitudes like his are made not born. I will tell you why. I worked in a high school for a few years in the special ed dept and wittnessed how the Head football coach would shove his athletes in special ed, not b/c they were slow, but b/c it was easier and a gaurantee pass. His athletes would wonder around the hall ways out of class without passes and if you tried to correct them in anyway you got to talk to the coach and he would explain to you how important his athletes are and how he would handle the situation himself and no further action should be taken. I was even told to drop it a few times.

Had one student get in my face and yell at me telling me he didn't have to do what I ask cause he was the star at the school and he is the one that brought in enough money to build the new weight room. Even walked down the hall screaming it was his weight room. sad thing about him is he was being courted with a free ride to FSU and then blew out his knee senior season. He didnt get an education, his free ride was taken away, he played a little ball for a small school but never fully recovered from his injury. Who knows what happened to him.

At the end of one the three weeks when progress reports came out the coach sent out to every teachers box asking all the teachers who had his football players, if they were not passing to please give his players a 70 so they could continue to play and then subtract that point amount from there final 6 week grade.

Another time during the TAAS testing a teacher was asked to read the test to one of his players so he could pass and play college ball. Do you realize how many laws that breaks?

That is just some samples. Terrible how the administration allowed the coach to get away with that.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006   #17
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED
Athletes like Mathis with attitudes like his are made not born. I will tell you why. I worked in a high school for a few years in the special ed dept and wittnessed how the Head football coach would shove his athletes in special ed, not b/c they were slow, but b/c it was easier and a gaurantee pass. His athletes would wonder around the hall ways out of class without passes and if you tried to correct them in anyway you got to talk to the coach and he would explain to you how important his athletes are and how he would handle the situation himself and no further action should be taken. I was even told to drop it a few times.

Had one student get in my face and yell at me telling me he didn't have to do what I ask cause he was the star at the school and he is the one that brought in enough money to build the new weight room. Even walked down the hall screaming it was his weight room. sad thing about him is he was being courted with a free ride to FSU and then blew out his knee senior season. He didnt get an education, his free ride was taken away, he played a little ball for a small school but never fully recovered from his injury. Who knows what happened to him.

At the end of one the three weeks when progress reports came out the coach sent out to every teachers box asking all the teachers who had his football players, if they were not passing to please give his players a 70 so they could continue to play and then subtract that point amount from there final 6 week grade.

Another time during the TAAS testing a teacher was asked to read the test to one of his players so he could pass and play college ball. Do you realize how many laws that breaks?

That is just some samples. Terrible how the administration allowed the coach to get away with that.

Did you go to school with Vince?
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006   #18
Lucky

Rep Power: 180779 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You've taken McClain's comment out of context. That's not difficult to do, as McClain doesn't clarify his statements as well as a journalist should and he doesn't always speak in a linear fashion. Here is what McClain was attempting to say:

1) Mathis was stubborn and difficult to coach under the previous staff.
2) Kyle Shanahan will attempt to connect with Mathis (He's coached Mathis for less than a week).

McClain was giving his opinion of Mathis' coachability. Not Shanahan's opinion.
Old 04-11-2006   #19
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 78716 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
Did you go to school with Vince?
No. But his attitude reminds me of coach's, teachers, and parents who let him get away with murder b/c he showed a little talent.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006   #20
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 58811 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm just glad our esteemed press has talked about a player on our roster. Who know what other little tidbits they may find and report.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read