Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-10-2006   #1
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1365 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default AP: Moulds set to help Texans struggling offense

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

By KRISTIE RIEKEN, AP Sports Writer
April 10, 2006

HOUSTON (AP) -- Eric Moulds thinks he is one of the missing pieces the Houston Texans need to help revive an offense was among the NFL's worst last season.

The Texans will add another huge piece on April 29 when they pick first in the draft, but for now the former Pro Bowl receiver is the team's biggest offseason acquisition.

Moulds was introduced in Houston on Monday after being traded from the Buffalo Bills for a fifth-round pick last week.

"I looked at the weapons they have with Andre (Johnson) and David Carr and I just thought they were missing a couple other players to get them over the top," he said. "And I feel like I'm one of those players that can help them."

Moulds had two years remaining on his contract with the Bills, but said he wouldn't return after he twice refused to take a major pay cut last month. The 10-year veteran was scheduled to count about $10.8 million against Buffalo's salary cap.

He signed a four-year, $14 million contract with Houston that includes a $5 million signing bonus.

Moulds should immediately give a boost to Johnson, who struggled last season as the Texans failed to establish another credible receiving threat.

Last season was the worst performance of Johnson's three-year career. He had 688 yards receiving after piling up 1,142 yards and getting a Pro Bowl nod in 2004.

"I think now defenses have to play more honest," Moulds said. "They're going to have to account for Andre on the other side. They're going to have to account for me on one side if they double Andre. So our game is going to help each other out and I think it is going to help to make David Carr a more successful quarterback."

General manager Charley Casserly introduced Moulds, saying his presence gives Houston its best receiving corps in the team's short history.

"We're very happy to have Eric with us," Casserly said. "He gives us a proven receiver to go along with Andre Johnson. Now we can line up and we have two first class wide receivers and we feel very fortunate about that."

Moulds had 675 career catches for 9,096 yards and 48 touchdowns in 10 seasons with Buffalo. Only Andre Reed has more catches (941) and yards (13,095) among Bills receivers.

The 6-foot-2, 210-pound player had 81 receptions for 816 yards and four touchdowns in 15 games with Buffalo last season. He has caught at least 50 passes in each of the last eight seasons and has four career 1,000 yards seasons.

He said that other teams, notably Philadelphia, courted him but that Houston seemed the "most sincere" in its desire to sign him.

After playing with a virtual revolving door of quarterbacks in his 10-year career, Moulds said Houston's commitment to Carr was an attractive aspect of coming to Houston.

The Texans exercised the option on Carr's contract in January to keep him with the team for at least three more seasons.

"I played with 10 different quarterbacks and so now that I know that David Carr is the guy, he and I and Andre can just get on the same page and just work," Moulds said. "We look good on paper right now. Now it's up to us to go out there and get it done."

After spending his entire NFL career in Buffalo, Moulds said he is looking forward to Nov. 19, when Houston hosts the Bills.

"It's going to be emotional," he said.

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #2
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans34Life

April 10, 2006

HOUSTON (AP) -- Eric Moulds thinks he is one of the missing pieces the Houston Texans need to help revive an offense was among the NFL's worst last season.

The Texans will add another huge piece on April 29 when they pick first in the draft, but for now the former Pro Bowl receiver is the team's biggest offseason acquisition.

Moulds was introduced in Houston on Monday after being traded from the Buffalo Bills for a fifth-round pick last week.

"I looked at the weapons they have with Andre (Johnson) and David Carr and I just thought they were missing a couple other players to get them over the top," he said. "And I feel like I'm one of those players that can help them."

Moulds had two years remaining on his contract with the Bills, but said he wouldn't return after he twice refused to take a major pay cut last month. The 10-year veteran was scheduled to count about $10.8 million against Buffalo's salary cap.

He signed a four-year, $14 million contract with Houston that includes a $5 million signing bonus.

Moulds should immediately give a boost to Johnson, who struggled last season as the Texans failed to establish another credible receiving threat.

Last season was the worst performance of Johnson's three-year career. He had 688 yards receiving after piling up 1,142 yards and getting a Pro Bowl nod in 2004.

"I think now defenses have to play more honest," Moulds said. "They're going to have to account for Andre on the other side. They're going to have to account for me on one side if they double Andre. So our game is going to help each other out and I think it is going to help to make David Carr a more successful quarterback."

General manager Charley Casserly introduced Moulds, saying his presence gives Houston its best receiving corps in the team's short history.

"We're very happy to have Eric with us," Casserly said. "He gives us a proven receiver to go along with Andre Johnson. Now we can line up and we have two first class wide receivers and we feel very fortunate about that."

Moulds had 675 career catches for 9,096 yards and 48 touchdowns in 10 seasons with Buffalo. Only Andre Reed has more catches (941) and yards (13,095) among Bills receivers.

The 6-foot-2, 210-pound player had 81 receptions for 816 yards and four touchdowns in 15 games with Buffalo last season. He has caught at least 50 passes in each of the last eight seasons and has four career 1,000 yards seasons.

He said that other teams, notably Philadelphia, courted him but that Houston seemed the "most sincere" in its desire to sign him.

After playing with a virtual revolving door of quarterbacks in his 10-year career, Moulds said Houston's commitment to Carr was an attractive aspect of coming to Houston.

The Texans exercised the option on Carr's contract in January to keep him with the team for at least three more seasons.

"I played with 10 different quarterbacks and so now that I know that David Carr is the guy, he and I and Andre can just get on the same page and just work," Moulds said. "We look good on paper right now. Now it's up to us to go out there and get it done."

After spending his entire NFL career in Buffalo, Moulds said he is looking forward to Nov. 19, when Houston hosts the Bills.

This writer should stick with the lifestyles pages because she doesn't know a thing about sports. For example A.) Johnson struggled because he was hurt and Carr couldn't get the ball off due to the weak protection. B.) Not one word about the real problem that could negate Moulds entirely -- the offensive line.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #3
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

The article was put up at hundreds of different websites it seems like.

I know we had a bad season last year, but I wouldn't say that without him that our offense would have been "struggling".
Old 04-11-2006   #4
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks, Casserly, for giving Gaffney some bulletin board material...way to go with the "He gives us a proven receiver to go along with Andre Johnson. Now we can line up and we have two first class wide receivers and we feel very fortunate about that."

Can't you just say that you look forward to having him on our team and that he brings veteran leadership to our team ,etc? I know this might be parsing his quote a little bit...but dropping Gaffney and then using "first class wide receiver" and "we feel very fortunate about that" was a little much for me.

Anyways, I like that Moulds thinks the Texans are better off than the Bills. Has to give you some hope that we're not as bad off as it looks.

Dude wanted out so bad it wasn't even funny, and he will work hard to prove he's worth it. Here's to a big season, Eric.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006   #5
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Anyways, I like that Moulds thinks the Texans are better off than the Bills. Has to give you some hope that we're not as bad off as it looks.
I don't think he really believes that. Heck, he saw what kind of team the Texans were in the first game up in Buffalo and nothing much changed for the rest of the season. And I don't see how he can really believe that the Texans OL is in better shape than Buffalo's. Then again, $14 million can tend to cloud your judgment.
Old 04-11-2006   #6
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 70559 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo
I don't think he really believes that. Heck, he saw what kind of team the Texans were in the first game up in Buffalo and nothing much changed for the rest of the season. And I don't see how he can really believe that the Texans OL is in better shape than Buffalo's. Then again, $14 million can tend to cloud your judgment.
Well, it may have taken a little bit of a sales pitch but it couldn't be too difficult to claim the 2006 Texans will have better line play than the 2006 Bills. They are in bad shape.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006   #7
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo
We now have a pro bowl offensive center and a new pro bowl receiver who played for Buffalo. He put the big hurt on us in that game, so I would think we could say the balance has now tipped in our favor. At least that's my opinion plus if you read the head lines the owner, Wilson, is very unhappy and there is a lot of disarray on that ball club. The RB has not reported for the minicamps which is another factor. I don't think many in Buffalo are very happey right now.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-11-2006   #8
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75355 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Needing a solid #2 WR was a definate need, even though it wasn't the biggest. I don't see anything so wrong with what's been said.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006   #9
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

When I think of successful play-off contending teams, one of the things that stands out to me is a credible #2 receiver, like Cincinnati (Johnson and Houzawhatshisname) and Indy (Harrison, Wayne). As much as I like Gaffney, adding Emo should bolster our team to make them more competitive.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006   #10
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

This link requires the Macro Media Player

http://play.rbn.com/?url=nfl/nfl/ope...oulds041006.rm

The above is a link from the Houston home page for the press conference. I like what he says as it matches what I have been saying. He's already working out with Carr.

When you listen to Moulds you get the impression that he is bright and knows what he is doing. He is very well spoken.

If you listen to Casserly you will find they had difficulty with the trade and I will continue to speculate that Ralph Wilson was the problem as I stated in the long Moulds thread. If you read what Wilson is saying, you will understand. I don't think he likes McNair at all, because McNair is one of the new breed. Although Wilson has not named McNair, he certainly named Jones and Snyder.

Last edited by Ibar_Harry; 04-11-2006 at 07:57 AM.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006   #11
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

either moulds is good at buttering up the media or he is really excited to play here. I mean he did choose us over the way better than us last year eagles. So it seems the guy has heart, and wants to help us win. i cant wait for the season to start, this is gonna be so much fun.
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006   #12
buffalobob
Rookie

Quote:

uh-huh, it's going to be emotional .... and fun ... for sure! now, the Bills just re-signed Eric's old receiving partner, Peerless price. If Peerless can return to his old self, before he bailed out to Atlanta for $$$$$, this match-up in November is going to be a pretty decent show!!

Oh yeh, providing both our Lines can protect our QB's, that is -- LOL.
buffalobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006   #13
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobob
Oh yeh, providing both our Lines can protect our QB's, that is -- LOL.

That's the big "IF" around here too

Grats on getting Price back, he's one good player!
Old 04-11-2006   #14
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
This link requires the Macro Media Player

http://play.rbn.com/?url=nfl/nfl/ope...oulds041006.rm

The above is a link from the Houston home page for the press conference. I like what he says as it matches what I have been saying. He's already working out with Carr.

When you listen to Moulds you get the impression that he is bright and knows what he is doing. He is very well spoken.
he was well spoken indeed and also mentioned how he had a good relationship with the media in buffalo and would love to keep that going with the guys here. very professional

i was very excited to hear that he has already worked out/spoken with carr already. he even mentions some of the conversation where carr told him how successful he wants this offense and organization to be.

im just excited about this team!!

now we just have to wait for TC and the season to start
*jeopardy theme*
Old 04-11-2006   #15
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Rep Power: 77 TexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

April 10, 2006

HOUSTON (AP) -- ..."I played with 10 different quarterbacks and so now that I know that David Carr is the guy, he and I and Andre can just get on the same page and just work," Moulds said.
I have heard Moulds say this in several interviews he's had, it seems as though he may be tipping our hand a bit.
TexanAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006   #16
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanAddict
I have heard Moulds say this in several interviews he's had, it seems as though he may be tipping our hand a bit.
we may have tipped our hand when we bought out the remainder of carr's contract
Old 04-11-2006   #17
BeReal
Rookie

I don't see anything wrong with what Casserly said, he spoke the truth. Just like I didn't see anything wrong with what Gaffney said, he spoke the truth. Both sides have "bulletin board" material, but I don't really think it matters.

Gaffney's not much of a threat anyways, he's a #3 guy at best IMO. I guess we'll find out Sept. 10.
BeReal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006   #18
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

Well, he said most of the right things. He did further sell me on the idea that Carr will be the QB of the present & future here.
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006   #19
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to BradK10 Send a message via Yahoo to BradK10

Quote:
Thanks, Casserly, for giving Gaffney some bulletin board material...way to go with the "He gives us a proven receiver to go along with Andre Johnson. Now we can line up and we have two first class wide receivers and we feel very fortunate about that."
Moulds = proven, Pro Bowler

Gaffney = unproven, probably best suited as a #3 guy

Nothing wrong with what Cass said here.
Old 04-11-2006   #20
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradK10
Moulds = proven, Pro Bowler

Gaffney = unproven, probably best suited as a #3 guy

Nothing wrong with what Cass said here.
The point to this is that Gaffney didn't produce much because Carr couldn't get him the ball due to lack of protection. Moulds may be just another unproductive receiver is the line situation doesn't improve -- just like he was last year in Buffalo.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read