Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-10-2006   #1
Big78
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Big78
Default What about Travis Johnson?

We spent or first round pick on him last year, but now i hear it looks like Weaver and Peek are the the projected starters. Was this guy a complete bust or am i just misinformed with my info? I mean he seemed like when he was in he didnt do too bad, and how good could he really have done in that thing they called a defence last year? I was just wonering if another first rounder had gone to waste or if there was still hope for a return on our investment like we had thought when we drafted him.

-Homer Stokes
Big78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #2
horn_omatic
Rookie

Actually, switching to a 4-3 should make Travis better. When he was at Florida St. he was a gap shooting tackle. He never was suited to play defensive end. He is not a read and react guy, more of a attacker who shoots forward off the snap. I think the switch back to tackle will be a good move for our d-line.
Old 04-10-2006   #3
RiotCommander
All Pro

Send a message via ICQ to RiotCommander Send a message via AIM to RiotCommander

He did seem more suited to the 4-3, but he has been underwhelming thus far. However, I would like to say that for linemen sometimes it takes a few years to develope into a stud. So lets not give up on him yet.
RiotCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #4
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

He is a 4-3 DT (which in a 3-4 often are used for all three DL spots) not a 4-3 DE. He will be in a DT rotation with Smith and Payne.
Old 04-10-2006   #5
SnakeOilTanker
Veteran

and we can only hope he continues on Classic Now lol
SnakeOilTanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #6
Doom Capers
Veteran

One or two years from now, I am betting TJ will be a really good DT, and very dominating.
Doom Capers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #7
kingh99

Seems like a poor pick from where I sit.
Sponsored links
Old 04-10-2006   #8
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingh99
Seems like a poor pick from where I sit.
maybe you should change ur seat. IT was a bad pick for the 3-4 but he is the ideal 4-3 DT. which is what we switched to. If he doesn't start he will back up Payne and Robaire giving us a strong rotation.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #9
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

Isn't he like 3rd in the history of Florida St in tackles for lose?
Old 04-10-2006   #10
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected

We need to give him time. Remember, he's really best suited for the 4-3D, not the 3-4, plus he was a rookie last season. And the Texans got a high 3rd round draft pick for him this year . They say it takes 2-3 yrs for DT to get comfortable.
Old 04-10-2006   #11
Doom Capers
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom17
We need to give him time. Remember, he's really best suited for the 4-3D, not the 3-4, plus he was a rookie last season. And the Texans got a high 3rd round draft pick for him this year . They say it takes 2-3 yrs for DT to get comfortable.

I agree. This is the NFL, it takes time to adjust.
Doom Capers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #12
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Out of curiousity what makes everyone think he will be so good? Obviously we have seen limited reps from the guy and he was only a rookie last year, so you can play the "I have feeling" card if that's all it comes down to. I have read several "he will be good(s)" but with little or nothing to clarify.

My intel says he is lazy, out of shape, and not particularly good at much of anything, and when I watched him at FSU he took entire series off and was as much of a non factor in college as he is now. I am pretty sure our division rivals laughed at us when that is what we conjured up for our first round pick last year, especially at the expense of Derrick Johnson.

But okay, I will discount that ... serious question for those of you pro-TJ people. I would be seriously interested to know why these high opinions of him. Your turn.
Old 04-10-2006   #13
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek
Out of curiousity what makes everyone think he will be so good? Obviously we have seen limited reps from the guy and he was only a rookie last year, so you can play the "I have feeling" card if that's all it comes down to. I have read several "he will be good(s)" but with little or nothing to clarify.

My intel says he is lazy, out of shape, and not particularly good at much of anything, and when I watched him at FSU he took entire series off and was as much of a non factor in college as he is now. I am pretty sure our division rivals laughed at us when that is what we conjured up for our first round pick last year, especially at the expense of Derrick Johnson.

But okay, I will discount that ... serious question for those of you pro-TJ people. I would be seriously interested to know why these high opinions of him. Your turn.

I'm a pro Texans fan, but I'm also optimistic about most of the players on the team. I was also bummed about not getting DJ, but what is done is done. It's ironic now cuz the TEXANS are signing these other LBs. But we have TJ & I'm sure Koach Kubes will get after him if he becomes lazy or unproductive. I'm hoping with a new Staff will motivate him.
Old 04-10-2006   #14
Texansbacker
Veteran

Like jerek said, not too much to judge him on from last year as he did not get too much playing time but he did have 8 tackles in the last game.

His resume looks pretty good to me and I am anxious to see what he can do.

Some of TJ's accomplishments from his bio on the official site of the Houston Texans:

"Considered the top defensive line prospect in the country following his senior season…known for his versatility after playing all three interior line positions in college…started 21 of 51 games…totaled 175 career tackles with four fumble recoveries, 43.5 tackles for loss, 10 sacks and 31 quarterback pressures…finished third in Florida St. history in tackles for loss…invited to Senior Bowl following the 2004 season…was one of five Seminoles who hail from California...earned All-American honors in 2004 from The NFL Draft Report and ESPN…started all 12 games at left defensive tackle and was an all-ACC first-team choice after recording 50 tackles with 2.5 sacks, 18 tackles for loss and 12 quarterback pressures…only Alonzo Jackson (18.5 in 2002) and Darnell Dockett (22 in 2001) had more tackles for loss in a season for the Seminoles…caused and recovered one fumble, and deflected three passes…named as a defensive captain on a unit that allowed only 69.0 rushing yards per game during the regular season, which led the nation..."
Texansbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #15
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

He was never a 3-4 lineman, just another example of Capers plugging players into roles they don't fit.

He is a classic 4-3 interior lineman, thats why fans are optimistic about him next year.

People knock us trading down and getting him, but now that we run a 4-3 its not a bad pick.

We don't run a 3-4 anymore, in the 4-3 the front four is very important

Payne is getting older and has had injuries, we needed a 4-3 DT, now we already have one.

Johnson was the wrong pick for Capers, but he was the right pick for this team, now that we run a 4-3

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #16
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bomb
He was never a 3-4 lineman, just another example of Capers plugging players into roles they don't fit.

He is a classic 4-3 interior lineman, thats why fans are optimistic about him next year.

People knock us trading down and getting him, but now that we run a 4-3 its not a bad pick.

We don't run a 3-4 anymore, in the 4-3 the front four is very important

Payne is getting older and has had injuries, we needed a 4-3 DT, now we already have one.

Johnson was the wrong pick for Capers, but he was the right pick for this team, now that we run a 4-3
One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Okay, so let's say this: would you trade TJ and the Saints' 3rd for DJ? That's how you know if you like TJ or not.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #17
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

Just watch and see what he does this year before your praise or criticize him.
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #18
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 173001 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Under this same theory, wrong type of player for the system we run, our other Johnson, Andre, is the wrong type of player for the system we use to run. I dont really see either one of them having a problem this year.

DT 's are always hurt in this league. If you can go 3 or 4 deep, then your golden. TJ brings meaness to what was a soft defense before he got here. More playing will let him showcase his talent. Richard Seymour (NE) was not great right out of the gates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #19
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

We know no more about Johnson's potential than we do about Joppru, or any rookie we sign this season.

Johnson's first year was on an underachieving team. He didnt have a chance to make a difference. Fangio was also a horrid DC. Next season we will get a much better idea of what we have in Johnson.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #20
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek

I would not consider myself a "pro-TJ" guy but I am a Texans fan and as a Texans fan I hope that everyone of our draft picks turns out good.

The other day Pat Kirwin(on Sirius NFL radio) was asked about what were some good picks last year. He said after watching film he is really high on Travis Johnson of the Texans. Said he was very quitely making good progress and should be a force to be reconed with in the next couple of years.

So there are NFL Experts (I would certainly consider Pat Kirwin an NFL Expert) that say based on the "film", we should be high on Travis Johnson.

My question is why are you feeling down on the guy after one year in a position that is traditionally very slow to develop.
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read