Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-10-2006   #1
The Dude Abides
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39 The Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Mario Williams # 1 ?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3782968.html

Quote:
North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams, the top defensive player in the draft, is coming to Houston today to visit with the Texans.
The Texans insisted Sunday they are serious about taking Williams, who is rated as a better prospect than Julius Peppers, the defensive end taken second by Carolina in 2002. The Texans are ready to start contract negotiations. Under NFL rules, they can negotiate with any players they're considering drafting with the top pick April 29. They can negotiate with Williams, Reggie Bush and Vince Young and sign one before the draft.
Although left defensive end Anthony Weaver was their top priority in free agency, and Antwan Peek should be ideal for right end in the 4-3, the Texans insist that bringing in Williams isn't a ploy to help them sign Bush, who's expected to be the top pick.
The Texans have agreed to contract terms with veteran safety Michael Stone, who played at New England last season.
Stone gives the Texans a veteran safety to replace Marcus Coleman. He'll compete with C.C. Brown and Glenn Earl for playing time.
They are covering all their bases as they should.
Old 04-10-2006   #2
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I for one am glad that they are bringing him in. I hope they will think long and hard about drafting him too. Even at the #1 spot.

I was thinking about this today, do we have even one defender that another team sees on the depth chart and they go "oh no" about??

Some might say Robison but do other teams think that or do we just cling to him because he is the closest thing we have to a decent defensive presence.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #3
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think anyone is "afraid" of D-Rob because all they have to do is not throw to his side of the field if he starts to dominate, but that's not his fault. It's not like he's Sanders in his prime though. We can't just let him go 1:1 on any receiver, no matter what the route is, and let the safety help somebody else, allowing an extra LB to blitz, etc. I would hate to see the Texans spend that prized #1 pick on anyone but Bush (or if we were looking at QBs). I guess it could turn out to be worth it, but where was all the Williams, Hawk, Fergason for #1 talk all year long? I think it started with people looking at alternatives just out of curiosity and now people are taking the idea too seriously. Now, a Trade Down would make me real happy and, although I'd like to see a LT out of it, I could live with this guy.

PS-It's good that they're looking at him though. That never hurts.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #4
Frank_The_Tank
Veteran

He clould def. upgrade this D. I wish they would also bring in A.J. Hawk, and Mike Huff.
Frank_The_Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #5
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

It sure takes a while for our crack media team to notice anything that doesn't involve Bush and Young.

Even if they are already sold on Bush, they should still look at other players in case they get that godfather trade deal. This is a good move.
Old 04-10-2006   #6
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

This is why I told all the fellow Bush campers not to think it was a foregone conclusion that Bush would be a Texan. I do think we will regret not taking Bush
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #7
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1726 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
I don't think anyone is "afraid" of D-Rob because all they have to do is not throw to his side of the field if he starts to dominate, but that's not his fault. It's not like he's Sanders in his prime though. We can't just let him go 1:1 on any receiver, no matter what the route is, and let the safety help somebody else, allowing an extra LB to blitz, etc. I would hate to see the Texans spend that prized #1 pick on anyone but Bush (or if we were looking at QBs). I guess it could turn out to be worth it, but where was all the Williams, Hawk, Fergason for #1 talk all year long? I think it started with people looking at alternatives just out of curiosity and now people are taking the idea too seriously. Now, a Trade Down would make me real happy and, although I'd like to see a LT out of it, I could live with this guy.

PS-It's good that they're looking at him though. That never hurts.
The talk has been there all year long, it has just been drowned out by the bush/young debate. I, for example, have supported D'brick/Mario at #1 before and still do.
Old 04-10-2006   #8
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

John McClain is on 610 right now & he claims this is all "posturing" by the Texans front office & that they will take Bush. Take that for what it's worth
Old 04-10-2006   #9
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Mario Williams # 1 ?

The Chron indicates the Texans are not only working out Mario Williams but are talking contract with his agent....

Will anyone be happy if this guy really becomes the # 1 pick?
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #10
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I would be happy with Williams, yes.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #11
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Rep Power: 2075 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

i would be happy with mario, but happier with bush, talent like bush rarely comes around
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #12
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunta23
i would be happy with mario, but happier with bush, talent like bush rarely comes around
Bush is clearly the BPA in this Draft, or last years Draft, or probably the 2004
Draft also, etc. But there is still a possibility for a godfather offer, therefor
we need a back-up plan for the BPA on the Board if picking at 4 or 5 or whatever. Therefor good idea to look at other top picks just in case.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #13
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans | Team to have pre-draft visit with M. Williams
Mon, 10 Apr 2006 06:22:41 -0700

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans will conduct a pre-draft visit with North Carolina State DE Mario Williams Monday, April 10. The Texans insisted Sunday, April 9, they are serious about taking Williams. Under NFL rules, they can negotiate with any players they're considering drafting with the top pick April 29. They can negotiate with Williams, USC RB Reggie Bush and Texas QB Vince Young and sign one before the NFL Draft.
Old 04-10-2006   #14
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic
The Chron indicates the Texans are not only working out Mario Williams but are talking contract with his agent....

Will anyone be happy if this guy really becomes the # 1 pick?
With the #1 pick? absolutely not.
Old 04-10-2006   #15
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not surprised, but there are many on this board that will be. Good to see we are seriously considering the BPA for our need not necessarily the draft.

We cannot go wrong with Reggie Bush or Williams.
Old 04-10-2006   #16
done88
Veteran

Simmply a contract ploy. If they were going to go after Williams they would be better off to trade the pick and try to get Williams also. Bush's agent is asking for more thenthe Texans think he should. They thought that by bringing in Youn it would put pressure on Bush to lower his demands. Since that did not work they are tryiong to gain leverage through Williams. It's how business is done.
Old 04-10-2006   #17
SteelBlueToro
Veteran

If they draft Williams it will be if they trade down.
Old 04-10-2006   #18
Farough
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 880 Farough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Farough

I wouldnt mind it at all!... either Williams or Bush at #1 and ill be perfectly happy.
Farough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #19
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 91895 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlueToro
If they draft Williams it will be if they trade down.
I don't think you can sign him then trade down.

I would love, love, love, Mario Williams. Hate to see Bush let go but Defense wins championships.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #20
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunta23
This man is correct.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read