Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-09-2006   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default VY: Once in a lifetime athlete?

Quote:
He didn't win the Heisman Trophy, even though many thought he deserved it.

But this quarterback didn't need that award to prove his worth, not after dazzling the college football world and NFL scouts with his uncanny athletic ability.

"He is a once-in-a-lifetime athlete,'' said Dave Te' Thomas of The NFL Draft Report. "No one in the NFL can hold a candle to this kid. He is the prototype quarterback of the future. Twenty years from now, we'll be sitting up in Canton (Ohio at the Pro Football Hall of Fame) where he's dusting off his bust.''

Vince Young?

Nope, although many experts are saying similar things about the University of Texas quarterback leading up to the April 29-30 NFL Draft.

Those words were uttered in 1994 to describe Steve McNair, who was in his final season at Alcorn State.
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....602100430/1027

I posted that on the NFL section a while back but didn't see it.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006   #2
KSig44
Veteran

Athlete....maybe
Quarterback....no
KSig44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006   #3
LoneStarState
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSig44
Athlete....maybe
Quarterback....no
EXACTLY!
Old 04-09-2006   #4
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSig44
Athlete....maybe
Quarterback....no
I have nothing else to add...
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006   #5
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

well for and athlete he plays the positon pretty good even beat the number one Quaterback in the national championship.
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006   #6
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napa Auto Parts
well for and athlete he plays the positon pretty good even beat the number one Quaterback in the national championship.
Put Barry Sanders in at QB at the college level and he will beat people too. Doesnt make him a good QB.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329529 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Take this for a little perspective. McNair is an excellent QB who was exceedingly well qualified to win a SB but has not. At the same time, folks have been talking about QB's changing the role of QB's for decades and it hasn't happened. It may, but none of the new QB formula hasn't been tried before. Apply that to VY and what do you have? No he is not going to redefine the position, but if a coaching staff develops him correctly and uses him correctly he very well could be special enough to win SB's if, like any QB, the team around him is also SB worthy.
Old 04-10-2006   #8
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Take this for a little perspective. McNair is an excellent QB who was exceedingly well qualified to win a SB but has not. At the same time, folks have been talking about QB's changing the role of QB's for decades and it hasn't happened. It may, but none of the new QB formula hasn't been tried before. Apply that to VY and what do you have? No he is not going to redefine the position, but if a coaching staff develops him correctly and uses him correctly he very well could be special enough to win SB's if, like any QB, the team around him is also SB worthy.
That is a perspective I can agree with. With that in mind, the real question becomes "do we need to get a project QB".. and in my mind the answer is no.

if you step back and look at all the starting QBs in the league, I dont know how you can then look at David Carr and say he is a bust. The potential is still there. id rather make HIM my project QB and use our first round pick on someone else who can help the team out while Carr is on the field.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #9
Frank_The_Tank
Veteran

Why do people still post positive things about Vince on this Texans Message Board? This message board is infected with Reggie Bush Mud Sharks. They sit around and scan through the threads in hope to find a positive Vince comment to thrash and bash. The Mud Sharks work in packs; it’s always the same 6 to 8 idiots posting the same feeble crap over and over.

Frank_The_Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #10
Frank_The_Tank
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
That is a perspective I can agree with. With that in mind, the real question becomes "do we need to get a project QB".. and in my mind the answer is no.

if you step back and look at all the starting QBs in the league, I dont know how you can then look at David Carr and say he is a bust. The potential is still there. id rather make HIM my project QB and use our first round pick on someone else who can help the team out while Carr is on the field.

There have been about 12 QB's in the past two years who have been cut by their teams who have had way more sucess than David Carr, way better Stats, way better decision making skills during games, just muach better talent. We have the most expensive back up QB in the League starting for our team.
Old 04-10-2006   #11
Frank_The_Tank
Veteran

Hey Mud Sharks, you guys would not know talent if it was slapping you in the face. You guys have your heads so far down on Reggie Bushes crotch that I dont see how yall have time for a life. I guess Vince Young will not be a success in the N.F.L. because a bunch of pea-brain Mud Sharks say it is so. Why don't you Homers keep your Pro-Bush annotations in the Broke Back only threads and leave Vince Young supporters alone.
Old 04-10-2006   #12
Janus3
Veteran

once in a lifetime athlete? nah, they have busts every year.
Old 04-10-2006   #13
Frank_The_Tank
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janus3
once in a lifetime athlete? nah, they have busts every year.
Mud Shark
Old 04-10-2006   #14
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

i'm tired of these "once in a lifetime athlete" labels being applied every year (and sometimes more than once a year, oddly enough) to some player. michael vick was suppose to revolutionize the QB position, and if anything, the position has gotten MORE prototypical of the pocket QB. QB's don't need to be athletes, they need to be quarterbacks first.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #15
CoastalTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 30 CoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to CoastalTexan

Barrick Nealy has the same athletic numbers, you dont hear all the hoopla about him though.
CoastalTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #16
KSig44
Veteran

Because he is 1AA (but can the competition be much different than Alcorn St.)? Grabbibg Nealy in the 6th round and letting him sit for a couple years intrigues me.
KSig44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #17
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna
i'm tired of these "once in a lifetime athlete" labels being applied every year (and sometimes more than once a year, oddly enough) to some player. michael vick was suppose to revolutionize the QB position, and if anything, the position has gotten MORE prototypical of the pocket QB. QB's don't need to be athletes, they need to be quarterbacks first.
I've been making jokes about this myself. The media really has some fans wrapped around their fingers.
Old 04-10-2006   #18
TreWardTxn
Veteran

We all know the media has a tendency to overstate things, but we also know when a guy does things on a football field that have not been seen (or have only been seen very rarely) before. If a player can be a gamebreaking college QB only because he is the best athlete on the field (as some have said), then why didn't Bush take snaps? Being the QB at the college level involves a bit more than being the best athletic talent, and the same goes for running back at the pro level...
TreWardTxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #19
dwilt72
Veteran

Quote:
Put Barry Sanders in at QB at the college level and he will beat people too. Doesnt make him a good QB.
Barry Sanders couldn't pass like VY. Yes, VY is a special athlete. I also believe if he goes to a team that is willing to let him use his athletic talents, he will be a special QB at the pro level too. Look at the team he beat in the Rose Bowl! Two Heisman winners and a TON of NFL prospects. 41-38, that's all I need to know!
dwilt72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #20
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

Quote:

Do we need to get a project QB??? Well, we already have a project QB...the same one we have had for the last 4 years. He still has a lot of potential, but after 4 years, will that potential ever be realized? That is the question that I want answered.
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read