Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-09-2006   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Wong's rehab slow, expected to miss 5-8 WEEKS

Ouch, this could be a problem for us. Chalk up another OLB to our list of needs:

Texans | K. Wong not expected to be ready for the start of the season
Sat, 8 Apr 2006 13:05:47 -0700

Megan Manfull, writing for the Sporting News, reports Houston Texans MLB Kailee Wong (knee) has been putting in long hours in rehabilitation and in the weight room, determined to be healthy by the start of the season, but by all accounts, that won't happen. Wong likely will miss 5-8 weeks of the season. If newly signed LB Sam Cowart plays well while Wong is sidelined, Wong may move to outside linebacker.

per kffl.com
Old 04-09-2006   #2
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Man this isn't good. Hopefully we'll see Orr and others get some time at LB this season. I like Wong but I wonder if it's time for him to move on.
Old 04-09-2006   #3
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the Texans should move Babin back to SOLB and draft a DE to share time with Peek at RDE. If Wong comes back, great. But, Kailee can't be counted on this season.
Old 04-09-2006   #4
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
Man this isn't good. Hopefully we'll see Orr and others get some time at LB this season. I like Wong but I wonder if it's time for him to move on.
Move on? I hope you're kidding. I understand he's no superstar, he's not a huge game changer, but:
1) He's only 29 (still the right side of 30)
2) He's a good signal caller for the defense (remember how much the coaches/players attitudes changed after he was injured)
3) At the very least, he provides veteran depth at a position we aren't strong at

I'm disapointed he's injured as well, but I like a 4-3 LB group of Orr Cowart Greenwood personally, and would like even more Wong Cowart Greenwood/Orr depending on how Orr peroforms the 1st half of the season
Old 04-09-2006   #5
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

yeah i heard this news yesterday...not a good thing. earlier in the off season he seemed to be ahead of schedule and would certainly be ready for the season opener....I wonder what the set back was
sprtsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006   #6
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
Move on? I hope you're kidding. I understand he's no superstar, he's not a huge game changer, but:
1) He's only 29 (still the right side of 30)
2) He's a good signal caller for the defense (remember how much the coaches/players attitudes changed after he was injured)
3) At the very least, he provides veteran depth at a position we aren't strong at

I'm disapointed he's injured as well, but I like a 4-3 LB group of Orr Cowart Greenwood personally, and would like even more Wong Cowart Greenwood/Orr depending on how Orr peroforms the 1st half of the season
Wong will be 30 next month, he is coming off of injury, we won't even see him on the field until midseason, and he will count $3.6 million against the cap this season. Seems kind of expensive to keep around for depth.
Old 04-09-2006   #7
Mailman04
Veteran

Thomas Howard has reportedly slipped in the draft. If he is still there in Round 3, probably won't be, but if he is he might be worth a shot. I see Texans going Miami U in second round, Eric Winston or Kelly Jennings or outside shot Senorice Moss.
Mailman04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-09-2006   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
Wong didn't call the signals. He replaced Sharper. Greenwood replaced Foreman and made the D calls.
Old 04-09-2006   #9
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

DeMeco Ryans, come on down!
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006   #10
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

I never buy into the "ahead of schedule" hype on NFL ACL recoveries, especially for a player who plays a position where multidirectional cut ability is essential (unlike a DT drive the sled guy). Nor do I consider Wong's progress "slow" if he's targeting October - early November. Many NFL players take a calendar year or more to recover from an ACL surgery. Remember that the ACL wasn't Wong's only problem.

Several weeks ago I posted something somewhere about Kailee coming on SR610 - late Feb maybe -- and saying he was "ahead of schedule" in recovery from his ACL surgery (which he had the first week of January). Counting 9 months (typical minimum NFL ACL recovery time) forward from the surgery date, took me to early October minimum that he would need be ready to be back on the field. That without even considering the patella tendon surgery he had right after the injury in October. His knee was pretty well wrecked and there's a real good chance that we will ever see the old Kailee ever again.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006   #11
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman04
Thomas Howard has reportedly slipped in the draft. If he is still there in Round 3, probably won't be, but if he is he might be worth a shot. I see Texans going Miami U in second round, Eric Winston or Kelly Jennings or outside shot Senorice Moss.
What would lead you to believe or even wish that we would draft Jennings at #33??

He is a reach at #65 even.
Old 04-09-2006   #12
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Wong didn't call the signals. He replaced Sharper. Greenwood replaced Foreman and made the D calls.
Not that it really matters but Wong did make the front calls up to the point when he was injured. Foreman did the same in '04. I guess it didn't matter to them which ILB the sound came from. They were probably going with the guy who they thought could do the best job of the two. You don't have that 'luxury' in a 4-3.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006   #13
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
Not that it really matters but Wong did make the front calls up to the point when he was injured. Foreman did the same in '04. I guess it didn't matter to them which ILB the sound came from. They were probably going with the guy who they thought could do the best job of the two. You don't have that 'luxury' in a 4-3.
OK, thought I heard a Greenwood interview about him learning to make the playcalls back before the season started. Oh well.
Old 04-09-2006   #14
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
That's all Capers ever talked about was how important Wong was to him. In fact after Wong went down, I thought the gig was up and that certainly seemed to be the case. I didn't believe he had anyone else he would trust making those calls.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006   #15
Jwwillis
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsfanatic
yeah i heard this news yesterday...not a good thing. earlier in the off season he seemed to be ahead of schedule and would certainly be ready for the season opener....I wonder what the set back was
My thoughts exactally. He was doin great, better than Pane who developed an infection (cadaver parts can do that ). This means Wong wont be 100% this season at all.
Jwwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006   #16
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Shouldn't Wong have been moved back to OLB anyway? I thought Cowart was most likely going to start at ILB.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006   #17
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

This is the reason why wali rainer was signned. He is a solid player, but nothing special.
Old 04-09-2006   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-minus67
This is the reason why wali rainer was signned. He is a solid player, but nothing special.
I'd characterize Wong that way too.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006   #19
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
Hopefully we'll see Orr and others get some time at LB this season.
Orr is in the same boat with Peek, Babin, & Anderson since none of them have
any experience as LBs in the 4-3. They are all 3-4 OLB tweeners who were
DEs in college.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006   #20
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
Shouldn't Wong have been moved back to OLB anyway? I thought Cowart was most likely going to start at ILB.
Thats what I was thinking. If Wong isnt ready and our new LB's dont pan out in TC, I'm sure Babin or Peek would see time at OLB (hopefully while a rookie is learning the scheme).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read