Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-09-2006   #1
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57147 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Sunday's Justice column: Carr driven by 2-14 disaster

Carr driven by last year's 2-14 disaster

Can y'all do me the utmost favor and read the this column please? Because there is a blurb in there that made me yell out loud, "What the hell?"
Quote:
Everything is new

"We've started from scratch," Calhoun said, "beginning with how to break the huddle, cadence, calling certain routes."

In other words, everything.

Carr is the key to Kubiak's success. He was his first tough choice, and even after Reggie Bush arrives and even with all the new talent, Carr still has to play better.

"We want to make things clear for him," Calhoun said, "and he's cognizant of the fact that he must play better. I can't emphasize enough how strong his appetite to learn is."

Ask Carr what's different about his new offense and he answers simply.

"I have to do less," he said. "I go through my reads. I look one place. If it's not open, I go to the next read."

He'll be asked to speed up everything, including getting out of the huddle and lining up.
Now, I know I'm dumber than a box of rocks most of the time, but what was he supposed to do before, when the the first read was not open? If the option was to dump it off, how was that "less"?

I don't understand that. Can someone help me with that, please?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006   #2
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3366 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

I really don't like the way the media and others are saying that Carr will be the key to Kubiak's success, I thought Reeves, McNair, and Cass had agreed on keeping Carr as well. And if Carr does fail I really don't see how Kubiak could be blamed.
Old 04-09-2006   #3
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225686 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
I really don't like the way the media and others are saying that Carr will be the key to Kubiak's success, I thought Reeves, McNair, and Cass had agreed on keeping Carr as well. And if Carr does fail I really don't see how Kubiak could be blamed.
Like the article says, keeping Carr (assuming that is the decision as it appears) was Kubiak's 1st and most important decision. Plus he was hired as a QB guru. That image will be severely tarnished if Carr turns in another year like last year.
Old 04-09-2006   #4
Wolfiegrrl
Wonder Woman

Rep Power: 20 Wolfiegrrl is a Hall of FamerWolfiegrrl is a Hall of FamerWolfiegrrl is a Hall of FamerWolfiegrrl is a Hall of FamerWolfiegrrl is a Hall of FamerWolfiegrrl is a Hall of FamerWolfiegrrl is a Hall of FamerWolfiegrrl is a Hall of Famer
Send a message via AIM to Wolfiegrrl Send a message via MSN to Wolfiegrrl Send a message via Yahoo to Wolfiegrrl

The reason for Carr's quote of him doing less is because further up the page it reads: "The Texans used the first pick of the 2002 draft — the first pick the team had — on Carr. And then they almost guaranteed he would fail. Thanks, Dom Capers. And you, too, Charley Casserly and Bob McNair. Nice work, fellas.

They never protected their young quarterback. They ran a system more complex than some 10-year veterans run. They failed to put enough talent around him. Imagine how good Troy Aikman would have been without Emmitt Smith, Daryl Johnston and Jay Novacek."

Interesting piece though. I'm excited for the season to start.
Wolfiegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006   #5
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3366 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Like the article says, keeping Carr (assuming that is the decision as it appears) was Kubiak's 1st and most important decision. Plus he was hired as a QB guru. That image will be severely tarnished if Carr turns in another year like last year.
All I am saying is how does anyone know Carr is not damaged beyond repair due to the last coaching regime?
Old 04-09-2006   #6
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57147 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well, as much as I detest participating in any sort of blame game, I will say this. I don't think Kubiak would have felt comfortable being the HC if he couldn't decide who he wanted for quarterback. It was Kubiak's choice. I'm confident of that.
Old 04-09-2006   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225686 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
All I am saying is how does anyone know Carr is not damaged beyond repair due to the last coaching regime?
We don't but presumably Kubiak has considered that and made the judgment that Carr is not and can be improved. I'm not saying it is entirely fair, but with QB's being his forte plus the opportunity to have had a phenominal talent like VY, a failure to get a dramatic improvement out of Carr will be held against him.
Old 04-09-2006   #8
texan279
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
Well, as much as I detest participating in any sort of blame game, I will say this. I don't think Kubiak would have felt comfortable being the HC if he couldn't decide who he wanted for quarterback. It was Kubiak's choice. I'm confident of that.
I agree, I am just worried about the possible damage done to Carr over the last 4 seasons. But if Carr does fail, I hope the fans don't try to chase Kubiak out of towns with pitchforks like some have wanted to do with others in the organization in the past. Now if we don't see improvement from the team in the next couple of seasons then I'll start "blaming" Kubiak.
Old 04-09-2006   #9
Lucky

Rep Power: 106508 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They ran a system more complex than some 10-year veterans run.
Huh? The "system" was so complex, fans knew what play was going to be run prior to the snap. Not to mention the opposing defense. Easily the most predictable NFL offense I've ever seen. But it was complex, Richard? Right.

I guess this is the obliquitory kiss & makeup article after Justice has slammed Carr since the Rose Bowl. Talk about predictable.
Old 04-09-2006   #10
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfiegrrl
The reason for Carr's quote of him doing less is because further up the page it reads: "The Texans used the first pick of the 2002 draft — the first pick the team had — on Carr. And then they almost guaranteed he would fail. Thanks, Dom Capers. And you, too, Charley Casserly and Bob McNair. Nice work, fellas.
I still don't understand that quote. It implied that he wasn't supposed to look for an alternate receiver if the primary wasn't open. Maybe I'm just taking it out of context or something, but man, I just found that to be very strange.
Old 04-09-2006   #11
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 630 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
That image will be severely tarnished if Carr turns in another year like last year.
Carr having another year like last year is sooo not possible-surely even the law of averages is against that. Given the new coaching, his new work ethic, new players and new plays plus the fact that he knows this is his last chance or he might as well go sell football uniforms to pop warner leagues - he has to be better than 2-14. I think he will be much better - but - worse case scenario - he will be good enough and the running game will take us to a winning season...or close.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153493 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Carr driven by last year's 2-14 disaster

Quote:
"We want to make things clear for him," Calhoun said, "and he's cognizant of the fact that he must play better. I can't emphasize enough how strong his appetite to learn is."

Ask Carr what's different about his new offense and he answers simply.

"I have to do less," he said. "I go through my reads. I look one place. If it's not open, I go to the next read."

Now, I know I'm dumber than a box of rocks most of the time, but what was he supposed to do before, when the the first read was not open? If the option was to dump it off, how was that "less"?

I don't understand that. Can someone help me with that, please?
That was Carr saying he will do less....... Maybe he felt he was supposed to do something... by time, make a play..... ??

What gets me, is that Calhoun says Carr has got to play better. I don't understand why I and others get slammed all the time, when we talk about the things Carr isn't doing as well as he should(heck, i've been accused of making things up). We're not talking about INTs, or the Majority of the sacks, but the things he is doing, that he shouldn't be.

Of course we criticize his play, at least I do, because I want to draft another QB. We've got problems at QB, let's consider drafting a QB with the #1 overall. There's some sweet talent at the top of this draft, at the QB position.

But it's ok to draft a RB with the #1 overall...... but we don't have a problem @ running back..... we don't, or we didn't. Yes, DD got hurt from time to time..... but we had wells, and we have Morency....... the only problem here, is they aren't threats to score if you're on the wrong side of the 50.

Quote:
The same way they blamed Capers, Palmer, and Pendry, but Carr comes out un-scathed.....

Quote:
I see what you're saying now......

maybe they'll be saying Kubiak bit off more than he could chew, and should have known better.

Quote:
I still don't understand that quote. It implied that he wasn't supposed to look for an alternate receiver if the primary wasn't open. Maybe I'm just taking it out of context or something, but man, I just found that to be very strange.
Carr's been criticized for staring down his target..... I think that may have been because he thought he was supposed to make something out of nothing. Now, he's being told to move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffi2
Carr having another year like last year is sooo not possible-surely even the law of averages is against that. Given the new coaching, his new work ethic, new players and new plays plus the fact that he knows this is his last chance or he might as well go sell football uniforms to pop warner leagues - he has to be better than 2-14. I think he will be much better - but - worse case scenario - he will be good enough and the running game will take us to a winning season...or close.

It's not the 2-14 season that Carr is being judged by, but the way he played in that 2-14 effort. He looked as bad as our linemen looking for someone to block.
Old 04-09-2006   #13
texan279
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
The same way they blamed Capers, Palmer, and Pendry, but Carr comes out un-scathed.....
The only coach from the old regime that has a job right now elsewhere is Capers, and with all of the coaches being fired, quitting, and moving around this past season in the NFL, Pendry, Palmer, and Fangio still being unemployed should tell you something.
Old 04-09-2006   #14
Lucky

Rep Power: 106508 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
...Pendry, Palmer, and Fangio still being unemployed should tell you something.
Palmer got an assistant job in Dallas.
Old 04-09-2006   #15
texan279
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
Palmer got an assistant job in Dallas.
You're right, I forgot, Pendry and Fangio are still jobless though.
Old 04-09-2006   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153493 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
You're right, I forgot, Pendry and Fangio are still jobless though.
I'd have fired Pendry before I fired Palmer...... not that Palmer was doing a stellar job or anything.
Old 04-09-2006   #17
Erratic Assassin
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 Erratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVP

Quote:
...I will say this.
Is that you Coach Capers?
Old 04-09-2006   #18
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
Huh? The "system" was so complex, fans knew what play was going to be run prior to the snap. Not to mention the opposing defense. Easily the most predictable NFL offense I've ever seen. But it was complex, Richard? Right.
The first 3 years had a lot of reading and adjusting during offensive plays. Last year was simplified to almost nothing.
Old 04-09-2006   #19
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

Marcus, my take on it from that little blurb that could very well be taken out of context is that Carr meant in the past he'd watch the primary receiver to see if he came open, even if he wasn't immediately open, and then if he didn't he dumped it down. Not the best thing to do in the world, but I think that's what Carr was implying.
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006   #20
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 666 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
finally, a Coach identifies the fact of what alot of us say about Carr.

Course we are only MB people and know nothing, its obviously ALL the O-lines fault.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read