Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Casserly To Get Dumped After The Draft

CASSERLY TO GET DUMPED AFTER THE DRAFT

"A league source tells us that the Houston Texans plan to fire G.M. Charley Casserly after the 2006 draft. Casserly has been the franchise's only general manager, joining the team more than two years before the Texans every played a game.

The plans to part ways with Casserly, we hear, are common knowledge within the upper reaches of the organization.

The move isn't all that surprising. Owner Bob McNair brought in former Broncos, Giants, and Falcons coach Dan Reeves as a consultant late in the 2005 season, and charged Reeves with the task of, among other things, evaluating the team's roster. Since that's usually the G.M.'s function, it wasn't a good sign for Casserly's long-term job security.

And it's not unusual for a team to hold on to a football executive through the April draft in lieu of firing him at the end of the season. Casserly, in January, was privy to much of the team's free agency and draft strategies. He could have landed with another team and coughed up all sorts of sensitive information.

Casserly has spent nearly 30 years in the NFL, including 23 with the Redskins. He reportedly is under consideration for a position in the league office. His contract with the Texans runs through June 2007".

If this is true, I'm glad Bob McNair finally woke-up. CC is a joke. Now, we've just one more problem David Carr. Kubes please draft Vince.

:redtowel:

CARR TO BE TRADED, TEXANS TO DRAFT QB

"A league source tells us that the Houston Texans plan to trade David Carr to the Kansas City Chiefs for a player to be named later. Carr has been the franchise's only starting quarterback, and was the team's very first pick in 2002.

The plans to part ways with Carr, we hear, are common knowledge within the upper reaches of the organization.

The move isn't all that surprising. Carr has been not panned out for Owner Bob McNair. His inability to read defenses, locking on to one receiver, and going into the fetal position at the first sign of trouble wasn't a good sign for Carr's long-term job security in Houston.

And it's not unusual for a team to resign a player, even giving him a bonus before trading him.

Carr has spent nearly 5 years in the NFL, and has produced nothing. His contract with the Texans runs through June 2009".

bkimble said:

"A league source tells us that the Houston Texans plan to fire G.M. Charley Casserly after the 2006 draft. Casserly has been the franchise's only general manager, joining the team more than two years before the Texans every played a game.

The plans to part ways with Casserly, we hear, are common knowledge within the upper reaches of the organization.

The move isn't all that surprising. Owner Bob McNair brought in former Broncos, Giants, and Falcons coach Dan Reeves as a consultant late in the 2005 season, and charged Reeves with the task of, among other things, evaluating the team's roster. Since that's usually the G.M.'s function, it wasn't a good sign for Casserly's long-term job security.

And it's not unusual for a team to hold on to a football executive through the April draft in lieu of firing him at the end of the season. Casserly, in January, was privy to much of the team's free agency and draft strategies. He could have landed with another team and coughed up all sorts of sensitive information.

Casserly has spent nearly 30 years in the NFL, including 23 with the Redskins. He reportedly is under consideration for a position in the league office. His contract with the Texans runs through June 2007".

If this is true, I'm glad Bob McNair finally woke-up. CC is a joke. Now, we've just one more problem David Carr. Kubes please draft Vince. :penalty: :crying:

Sounds plausible...but I tend to doubt that Mr McNair would be telling anyone in the league what his plans are concerning Casserly.

The headline on this article probably should have had a ? behind it because it is probably just speculation on the writers part. Kind of like we do here on this MB.

:coffee:

As should have been expected--this is from the Rumormill at Profootballtalk.com.

Hookem's is a funny redo not something from the rumormill. PS Hookem--Carr has been in the NFL 4 years so far and his contract runs thru 2008.

I think Charlie will be gone after the draft, but I also think it is his option. He could stay if he so chose.

Hulk75 said:
So it will be GREAT for Bob to dump CC "the Joke" as you call him.
But to keep the "MAJOR PROBLEM" of the Texans David Carr, would be stupid, how could anyone want to keep this loser, What does Kubiak know about QBs anyways.:cool:

No, he should dump David Carr also. Carr is a joke too. What we need a leader and a winner to lead our team and not a QB that's has only 14 wins and 65 loses in past 4 years. Now, that's a loser!

infantrycak said:
We need a link to a source please.

Definitely would be nice to have a link/source. And on another note...maybe we are seeing that it wasnt casserly that put this team together. It seems like previous post were correct and casserly just did what he had to do to get his coaches the players they wanted....Not that I like the blunders that he did with some of the trades we have done...but being an expansion team could play part in some of them...:spy:

Hulk75 said:
A league source told the Texans that Vince realy is a Great QB. And he should have no problem at all running in the NFL, even though he is not as fast as Vick and is a bigger target when he is on the run or throwing balls on time, unlike his workout at UT.:)

I got this from www.makebelievecrapthatisnotreal.com

Another league source tells us that as fast as the University of Texas defense is, most NFL teams have faster defenses. This isn't a good sign for Reggie Bush in the NFL who was unable to turn the corner on the UT defense and couldn't run through the tackles either. The fact that he remained on the sidelines during most of the 4th Qtr in the Rose Bowl demonstrated that Pete Carroll knew he was a useless weapon against a top defense.

bkimble, be careful referring to others as a joke. Sometimes the mirror when one looks into it can be brutally honest.

Oh but you can Doom Capers...click his name, and add him to your ignore list..then, ask your fellow posters, never to use the quote feature, as for some strange reason, I am still subjected to the rants of a raving....well you know ;)

infantrycak said:
Let's not turn this thread into a RB vs. VY debate how about?
How bout deleting this thread if your request for links gets ignored.;)

Mailman04 said:
bkimble, be careful referring to others as a joke. Sometimes the mirror when one looks into it can be brutally honest.

You're right. CC isn't a joke, nor is David Carr. I just wish we'd better leaders in our organization. I stand corrected. Thank God for Kubes!

CC will be allowed to resign (not re-sign) after all the talent is acquired this summer. McNair saved CC's career by not firing him in January and CC should be forever grateful to Bob for letting him bow out with dignity to 'pursue other interests.'

Hill's name came up the minute Reeves was brought on to consult. I'm not sure how I feel about hiring a GM whose been sitting on his duff for two years. Reminds me too much of Pendry...

Marcus said:
How bout deleting this thread if your request for links gets ignored.;)
ignore a simple request for a link and put your purdy copy n paste at risk! :spy:

bulldawgtexan said:
It's comments like yours (DoomCapers) that make this board look ridiculous.
What? Too bad we cant fire you? Yeah, thats way worse then VY is god, Reggie is god/cant make it in the NFL. DC is the worst QB in the NFL, ever...yep, you really nailed him on that one!

I really hope Casserly stays and I have said for a long time he goes out and gets the players his coaching staff wants. He has some input, but he's not going to acquire someone his coaching staff doesn't want. Bob McNair said the same thing. Casserly never was the problem. Capers, and the staff he hired and maintained and defended, was the problem. The problem after Capers was here was that everyone liked him and didn't want to get rid of him. That included John McClain, Bob McNair and a lot of other people may be including Casserly. The biggest obstacle was McNair himself. Casserly couldn't fire Capers until Bob was ready. Even in the last season McNair openly admitted that he hoped Capers could some how win another couple of games so he could keep him. We are now headed in the right direction and Casserly has done an outstanding job this year. But then again, I believe the Texans as a whole have had an outstanding year so far.

I am going to have to side with doom capers on this one. I personally get tired of clicking on a thread only to read through it and find some sort of Carr sucks draft vince young quote by a poster who's sole perpose for even joining the message board is to talk up vince young.

Now I do agree this is a message board where everyone can express there opinion and rightly so. However, there should be a disclaimer in the headlines of the threads....like this one, Casserly to be fired and a pot shot at David Carr so we can draft vince young. Somthing like that. Just so I can avoid these types of threads. Getting tired of getting suckered into this debate. I have spent countless hours arguing with posters, co-workers, even my customers. I'm tired. Tired, tired, tired, tired, tired, tired.

I am hoping that Cass stays on in some regard. I have been brutal toward him regarding his attitude toward getting players that the coaches want, because I think he should have trumped some of the decisions. The guy can recognize talent, and if he stayed on in Ferens position as the cap guy/VP ops and someone else took over at GM we would have a strong front office on the football side of things.

Personally, I believe the moderators failed long ago in controlling this matter TexanRed. I suggested on more than one occassion that their just be a thread for the VY/RB stuff, that way I didn't have to read about it. I still stand by my original position, I wish to trade the pick and get other needs, but ya know what? I don't go to every fricken THREAD and post that opinion. When a thread is lead off to that topic, either the posting should be removed, or move the thread. When a topic isn't exactly as advertised, same rule. But I have this sneaking suspicion that because these threads lean the direction of our leader, they've been allowed to just run rampant without supervision. Of course, I'll hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth for calling things as they are, but hey, whats the worst they can do, remove my posting rights, ban me?...ROFL Heck, I prefer reading, but I prefer <notice I can spell that word hehe> reading about my team, and their positives. I've tried the suggestions of some, to just put these folks on my ignore list, but it never fails, a new tard pops up in a matter of days, or, one of our well intentioned posters in responding to their drivel, feels it necessary to QUOTE said tard. More than irritating to say the least, but I don't forsee anyone doing a thing about it :)

bkimble said:
No, he should dump David Carr also. Carr is a joke too. What we need a leader and a winner to lead our team and not a QB that's has only 14 wins and 65 loses in past 4 years. Now, that's a loser!

Actually, the record is 18-46. But don't let the facts get in the way of your pointless rant. They're not drafting Vince. All the VY apologists need to either get over it, or suffer silently. No one cares anymore.

bkimble said:

If this is true, I'm glad Bob McNair finally woke-up. CC is a joke. Now, we've just one more problem David Carr. Kubes please draft Vince.

Getting rid of CC is a good move and the move to keep Carr was another good one. VY will be a successful QB with another football team not with the Texans. The Titans will be a better fit for his talents. Now that Carr has everything, from better coaching to quality players around him he will be successful. All you Carr haters out there are in for a lil suprise this yr. Don't want you to jump on that bandwagon when he is kickin some ***!!! Just remember all the crap you have said about the guy since the end of last yr and be happy that the team will be winning.

Koolbrz said:
Getting rid of CC is a good move and the move to keep Carr was another good one. VY will be a successful QB with another football team not with the Texans. The Titans will be a better fit for his talents. Now that Carr has everything, from better coaching to quality players around him he will be successful. All you Carr haters out there are in for a lil suprise this yr. Don't want you to jump on that bandwagon when he is kickin some ***!!! Just remember all the crap you have said about the guy since the end of last yr and be happy that the team will be winning.

Don't worry Kool, that duffus won't be around long after the draft. He will be following his lord god were ever he goes.

FirstTexansFan said:
Personally, I believe the moderators failed long ago in controlling this matter TexanRed. I suggested on more than one occassion that their just be a thread for the VY/RB stuff, that way I didn't have to read about it. ...

But I have this sneaking suspicion that because these threads lean the direction of our leader, they've been allowed to just run rampant without supervision.

We merge threads far more than you realize. In the end however, the moderators are volunteer fans who want to spend more time posting than cleaning up other peoples' inability to stay on topic. Once a thread takes on a character of its own it becomes very hard to follow if merged to another thread with its own character.

As to your implication about a lean toward "our leader," (who is that by the way, because by my understanding the Texans are leaderless?) all you have to do is review the posts made by the moderators and see there is no agreement on DC, VY, RB, DD or any number of subjects. The mods are fans with diverse opinions just like the other MB members.

Is that true? I couldn't think of an example.

Originally Posted by infantrycak
Let's not turn this thread into a RB vs. VY debate how about?

Every thread inevitably turns into a Vince vs. Reggie debate.....Oh, & a "Trade Carr for Ricky Williams":pigfly:

I need my avatar with tape over the mouth, and a straight jacket..AJ...fix that for me, cause ain't no one gonna listen anyway :) Back to mass ignore...soon, I'll just be reading my postings....now that's insane :)

Hulk75 said:
Then Kubiak is a Joke for keeping him, what a bunch of funny guys leading the ball club.

I disagree, Kubiak isn't a joke. He just make a bad choice. He gave into CC and company because he want the Texans head coach job. Kubes has been very successful turning around struggling QB's, but IMHO, the Carr project will not turnout well. Carr is afraid in the pocket and you can't coach courage.:brickwall

don't mind Hulk75, according to him, Carr should be teaching Joe Montana a few things about being a QB, and Dan Marino says 'sir' everytime he speaks to Carr. :stirpot:

As for Casserly, which this thread WAS about, he will probably end up on the NFL staff somewhere, I would think. He has been around the league too many years not to be able to call in a few favors. Hopefully he appreciates Bob McNair's class in not out right firing him and allowing him to stay awhile longer till he can set up his new position and then resign gracefully.

bkimble said:
I disagree, Kubiak isn't a joke. He just make a bad choice. He gave into CC and company because he want the Texans head coach job. Kubes has been very successful turning around struggling QB's, but IMHO, the Carr project will not turnout well. Carr is afraid in the pocket and you can't coach courage.:brickwall

I don't agree with that at all. The Texans are a multibillion dollar company that wants to put a winning product on the field. You can say McNair likes Carr but I would think with McNairs experience in all the businesses he has been involved, I would think he made his money by business is business and friendship is friendship.
I am sure McNair has made gambles before and lost, hopefully not this time

I don't believe that Kubiak said "Carr is the guy,if he didn't believe it" just because he wanted a head coaching position, I can't imagine that,because as Carr goes, Kubiak goes .. or Carr is gone before his contract is up. Kubiak looks to be one that wants to clean house and get things on track.. Capers IMO is a good defensive coach,but was too loyal when things were going bad and it cost him

bkimble said:

Lets see Carr has been sacked 200+ times in his career and still gets up for more. Not only is he durable but IMHO i don't think he is SCARED!! If your scared you will do whatever to get off of the field. Have never seem him try and get off the field with any fake injuries. Dude!!! Stop the Carr hating and try and except the fact that VY is going to Tenn.

Koolbrz said:
Lets see Carr has been sacked 200+ times in his career and still gets up for more. Not only is he durable but IMHO i don't think he is SCARED!! If your scared you will do whatever to get off of the field. Have never seem him try and get off the field with any fake injuries. Dude!!! Stop the Carr hating and try and except the fact that VY is going to Tenn.

In fact wasn't it the Atlanta game where he came off of the bench and helped the team to a victory, but reinjured himself. I think he has guts and a lot of it. It was coaching, coaching, coaching and all that goes with that.

If everyone remembers the Kansas city game where he did remarkably well that day.
last season's KC game where the final score was 45-17, KC winning it? The one where Carr went 19 out of 36 passes completed for 182 yds and an accuracy of 52.8 and a QB rating of 55.6? Where he was only sacked once, fumbled twice and recovered his own fumbles twice, thankfully?

Is that what you call 'remarkably well'? :confused:

Yes, what we need is a LEADER who couldn't spell LEADER if you spotted him the _ EADER!!!!! Wouldn't it be horrible if your Coach had to send all plays in via Big Chief Notebook and Crayon (Preferably in Burnt Orange, for ease of adjustment) so the starting QB would understand the play. I say leave the QB decisions to Kubiak.

Cross your fingers. I think Casserly was as much if not more responsible for the team cratering last year. Give someone else a chance.

You guys crack me up with how sure you are about everything. You are 'sure' that Carr is awful. You are 'sure' that Bush is overrated. You are 'sure' that VY is the Savior of the Texans. Step back and get some perspective.

Casserly may or may not be gone at the end of the draft. McClain certainly seems to think so, as he said this AM on the radio. However, if you think the awful performance of the draft is ONLY his fault, I think you are off base. Capers has to take some of the heat for the bad picks (as well as credit for the good ones). Overall, with their 1st round picks, they did pretty well (conceding that Carr is an unknown). D. Robinson and A. Johnson are awesome, and Travis Johnson is still an unknown, since he didn't start last year.

However, the coaching that Capers provided was atrocious. Can't we all at least agree on that? The stories coming out about their coaching and the attention (or lack thereof) paid to the offense, the pass blocking schemes, etc - is just unbelievable to me.

Finally - no one has been able to point this out to me - who here who is a VY backer actually thinks that his NFL games will be comparable to the Rose Bowl and not comparable to the Texas A&M or Ohio State games? VY was bottled up pretty well after the first drive or 2. When all the linebackers run 4.5 instead of 4.8, things can be different. I don't see Michael Vick racking up those yards like he used to.

Incidentally, I LOVE VY and his Rose Bowl - I went to UT - and I think Bush is the right choice. Unbelievable game breaker. He did have a horrible Rose Bowl - I mean, really, 270 all purpose yards is just TERRIBLE, isn't it?

Carrs durable but he's also shell shocked. He may be ruined. I wouldn't expect him to behave differently with the same slow undersized line for protection. The more I think about it the more I cannot believe they aren't replacing more of the line.

Back