Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-08-2006   #1
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Is Andre Johnson all he's cracked up to be?

Since there is a lot of talk going on about Eric Moulds, and whether we're either overestimating or underestimating what contribution he'll make to the team . . .

. . . I'd like to discuss AJ himself.

Is he really that good? I know he's made the Pro Bowl, but from watching the past couple seasons, I've tried to see how good he really is . . . and I actually used Corey Bradford as a benchmark for a comparison.

Here me out, OK? I don't really want to talk about how many catchable balls he's dropped. That really doesn't bother me.

What does bother me about him . . . is that dispite the fact that he's a big physical beast with 4.3 speed, he never seems like he gets separation from his coverage. I don't remember, ever . . a time where he has beaten his man on a 'go' route. Maybe he's really not that fast on the football field. Maybe he's not very good at running routes. Now, of course I know that he's double-covered all the time. But the point I'm trying to make, is if he's got the physical size and speed of a Terrell Owens or a Randy Moss, and if he's supposed to be as talented as those two, then he should be able to shed his defenders like those two, dispite the double coverage.

And he doesn't. At least, not from my view.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006   #2
BREAZE
Veteran

He made the pro bowl being double covered most his career playing for a team that never had a true #2 WR....yes he's that good.
BREAZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006   #3
Diehardtexan
Veteran

No

Actually he is better. Let them try to double cover him this year.
Diehardtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006   #4
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BREAZE
He made the pro bowl being double covered most his career playing for a team that never had a true #2 WR....yes he's that good.
When was the last time you saw AJ get behind his coverage on a go route, or a deep post, or even going across the middle? I've seen deep balls, where he goes up with his defender(s). But when was the last time you saw AJ shed his defenders, either going deep or across the middle? I never have.

Moss, TO, and other elite receivers can get away from that double coverage. Why can't AJ?
Old 04-08-2006   #5
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_tlmn
Dude IF your a TRUE TEXAN FAN, you would never ever bring up that point about the greatest WR the texan's have ever had now and present. Don't even attempttalkin' bad about him, besides DD, he's the only soul we got on this team unless we draft VY.
Excuuuuuse me! Everyone else is fair game, but he isn't, huh?
Old 04-08-2006   #6
Lucky

Rep Power: 153310 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
...But when was the last time you saw AJ shed his defenders, either going deep or across the middle? I never have.
AJ has had his moments where he took over. The problem has been consistancy. Just as you can put a large part of the blame on others (pass blocking, scheme, QBing), Andre has to take some responsibility. He has to improve on the little things, like working back to the QB after the play has broken down and positioning himself between the ball and the defender.

But like Carr, AJ has been a victim of poor coaching. I expect Johnson to improve under the new staff just as I think Carr will. And you know, Reggie Bush & Eric Moulds will help Andre see a few single coverages. When you consider size, speed, & strength - AJ is the premier athlete at WR in the NFL. I think that will reflect on the field more than ever this season.
Old 04-08-2006   #7
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Excuuuuuse me! Everyone else is fair game, but he isn't, huh?
BLASPHEMY! As Jabar Gaffney said, it is hard to get open when your QB is sacked halfway through your route. The thing about AJ is that he can't throw the ball to himself. I try to not hate on D-Carr, but he just doesn't have great field awareness. Part of that might be the O-line, but when he does get good protection, his reads are slow and he might just dump it off to DD.

Watch the Jaguars game. He had a pass over the middle that he almost took to the house.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-08-2006   #8
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think AJ having a talented WR like EMO (I like that nickname!), on the other side of the field is gonna be almost as important to him as dependable pass blocking will be for Carr.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006   #9
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Dude IF your a TRUE TEXAN FAN, you would never ever bring up that point about the greatest WR the texan's have ever had now and present. Don't even attempttalkin' bad about him, besides DD, he's the only soul we got on this team unless we draft VY.
So a true fan can't question a player's skills? A TRUE fan will not blindly accept that their team is full of the best players in the game and coached by the best coaches. Even the best players on a team can be evaluated. Nobody is off limits. Sorry.

At this stage of his career, AJ is only slightly better than Carr. All the points in the original post were fairly accurate. AJ doesn't have the ability (or knowledge) to consistantly beat double teams.

Could this change with the moves the Texans have made this offseason? The moves should help AJ, Carr and the o-line look better than in the past. They may even get some Probowl votes because of the changes.

Will AJ be as good as TO, Moss or Harrison? Only time will tell.
Old 04-08-2006   #10
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10704 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm sorry but that's just complete crap. Asking this question, without bitching, moaning and whining is the basis of what constitutes a good post.

Marcus: You have a point. Has he failed to progress or are we seeing yet another result of poor coaching? Will he be able to pick it up again, will he be that #1 reciever that most fans think he should be?

This year I think we'll know for sure (if we were not already thrilled by Andre Johnson) whether he can cut it amongst good WR's. He'll see competition from GOOD recievers, and perhaps we'll realize that he's not as good as he's been cracked up to be. Alternatively he'll shine and we'll all know for sure that he IS that good, even when competing against the likes of Moulds.

New coach, new playbook, new recievers and a new level of comparison.
Old 04-08-2006   #11
BREAZE
Veteran

Quote:
Moss, TO, and other elite receivers can get away from that double coverage. Why can't AJ?
I would rather attemp to tackle either of those 2 than I would AJ. I'm guessing those around the league feel the same way. He is embarking on a ton of yards after a catch with single coverage. I'll take several of those type situations in a game rather than over a couple of low percentage long balls. Plus, we don't call many long ball plays because the time needed in the pocket has not been there...its a wasted wind sprint.
BREAZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006   #12
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would rather attemp to tackle either of those 2 than I would AJ. I'm guessing those around the league feel the same way. He is embarking on a ton of yards after a catch with single coverage. I'll take several of those type situations in a game rather than over a couple of low percentage long balls. Plus, we don't call many long balls plays because the time needed in the pocket has not been there...its a wasted wind sprint.
Hey David! I'm Op...I'll help you up...
Old 04-08-2006   #13
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Aj wasnt just double teamed, he was triple teamed most of last year. Kinda hard to get behind the secondary when there are three of them on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006   #14
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to BradK10 Send a message via Yahoo to BradK10

I forget which game it was, but I recall AJ having a 50+ yd TD catch on a seam right down the middle of the field where he seemed to be a good 3-5 yards behind everyone.
Old 04-08-2006   #15
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradK10
I forget which game it was, but I recall AJ having a 50+ yd TD catch on a seam right down the middle of the field where he seemed to be a good 3-5 yards behind everyone.
I think that was the Jaguars game in Houston where we wore the Battle Red.
Old 04-08-2006   #16
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Yep,it was the Jags game
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006   #17
HoustonTexans
Rookie

Ummmmm, yes Andre is THAT GOOD. When you try and compare him to T.O. and Moss about being able to break double teams... that's complete bogus. T.O. can break double teams because of protection and time the QB has. McNabb sat in the back field for 14 seconds one time running around the pocket and ended up completing a pass. Also, Moss is well, he is Moss. Him and Culpepper made a nasty team, but then look at Moss on the Raiders... not the same Moss we saw when him and Culpepper were a couple. I htinkn given a chance with new coaching, weapons (Eric Moulds and Jeb Putzier and Reggie) there is no way Andre doesnt have an Elite WR year this year because he is THAT GOOD.
HoustonTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006   #18
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Three points:

1) In 2004 Dre made some catches across the middle where he'd break the first arm tackle and go for a bigger gain. I think this type of route, with a run-after-catch, is where his combination of power and speed will make itself felt.

2) I can't evaluate him by last year's performance any more than I can most of the other players on the team. The demoralization and poor coaching took its toll on everyone. He needs to work on his hands like he did in camp prior to the 2004 season though.

3) I hope the new coaches allow Carr to throw some balls to Dre when he's covered and let Dre use his athleticism to come up with the ball. This was strictly against the rules with our previous, conservative coaching staff.
Old 04-08-2006   #19
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Um, he stacked up his stats in the first half of the year he went to the Pro Bowl. When they started double teaming him later on, his stats went down. Gaffney was a decent WR#2 -- after all, they call them WR#2s for a reason -- they aren't #1. Gaffney did well last year when he subbed as #1 for Johnson when he was out. Gaffney was no Reggie Wayne, but he was adequate.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006   #20
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I can't evaluate him by last year's performance any more than I can most of the other players on the team. The demoralization and poor coaching took its toll on everyone.
This stuff about blaming the previous coaching staff for everything that went wrong is ridiculous. Johnson was hurt a large part of the year and when he came back he wasn't his normal self. It wasn't the coaching staff's fault that Andre Johnson got hurt.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read