Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-07-2006   #1
Nighthawk
All Pro

Default VY worked out and nobody cares?

This is the triumph of the small-minded. I'm stunned. This board has gone dead.

Yeah, I know it's unlikely we'll make the smart move and take Young, or better yet, trade down and still take Young, but for his workout here not to cause the slightest stir is thought prokoking.

Maybe it's just as well. Bush will be fine, or, if we're lucky, somebody else will want Bush enough to make a decent offer for him (and I think we'd trade the #1 for anything approaching a decent offer).

Right now Bush is the greatest college football player who ever played the game who nobody in the NFL really wants! Crazy!
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006   #2
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

I am pro bush, but I was surprised there wasn't that much discussion on here as well.
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006   #3
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Once again, I'll ask the question that I have asked on here so many times and never gotten a response to...If we were going to draft a QB, why would we draft Vince Young when he is not even the top rated QB in this draft?
Old 04-07-2006   #4
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

weren't you listening to reggie? whats the point in fans discussing it when they know we're not taking him...
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006   #5
Riley
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
Once again, I'll ask the question that I have asked on here so many times and never gotten a response to...If we were going to draft a QB, why would we draft Vince Young when he is not even the top rated QB in this draft?

Actually, according to many of the draft experts VY is the top QB in the draft. ML has fallen.
Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006   #6
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk

Yeah, I know it's unlikely we'll make the smart move and take Young, or better yet, trade down and still take Young, but for his workout here not to cause the slightest stir is thought prokoking.

Maybe it's just as well. Bush will be fine, or, if we're lucky, somebody else will want Bush enough to make a decent offer for him (and I think we'd trade the #1 for anything approaching a decent offer).

Right now Bush is the greatest college football player who ever played the game who nobody in the NFL really wants! Crazy!

i live in florida and ahve gotten zero information about it...im dying of curiousity

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006   #7
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I too am shocked at the lack of discussion. I must have missed the white flags.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-07-2006   #8
LoneStarState
Veteran

The Texans had VY in today for 1 of 2 reasons:

1. Out of obligation to all the VY fans - because if they didn't at least have him work out, there would always be smack talk.

2. Because they are actually considering him - and extended Carr's contract to help tutor him along.

I think we all know that it's 95-99% that the Texans will draft Bush. Sorry, no trade down. How many picks would it take to equal with Bush brings to the table. A running back with explosive and elusive speed. A reciever who can catch the ball who is explosive and has elusive speed. A kick returner who is explosive and has elusive speed. By all accounts, that may be equivalent to at least 2 high first round picks and maybe a high second round pick... this year. Hmmm... not one team has that to offer.

For those who think it will be a big mistake to pass on VY. It would be a bigger mistake to pass on Reggie Bush - the Texans know that.
Old 04-07-2006   #9
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Dr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballotDr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
A. Leinart doesn't have decent mobility, which Kubiak's O demands. He would be a step back from Carr in this regard.
B. He gets a lot of pub because he's safe... i've never heard anybody talk of tremendous upside. He'll be good quickly but not necessarily great. He's not the prospect Palmer was.
C. Carr is servicable, but a truly dynamic QB like Young makes you think twice... just like the Bush/DD situation. Imagine if people thought Deangelo Williams was the top rated back (he was for a while), would you take him instead of a guy with better upside/playmaking ability and diverse talents.
D. Marketing matters. The biggest gaffe from a PR/marketing standpoint would be to pass on two unseen talents, a local hero at the same position and an exciting guy like Bush, for a pocket passer.
E. Top rated by national consensus doesn't necessarily mean the best thing for this team, staff, or town.
Dr. Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006   #10
LoneStarState
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Toro
E. Top rated by national consensus doesn't necessarily mean the best thing for this team, staff, or town.
Just as local consensus doesn't necessarily mean the best thing for this team, staff, or town...
Old 04-07-2006   #11
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Toro
true, but in this case, it does
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006   #12
El Amigo Invisible
All Pro

Does anyone know if David was around? How is he taking it?
El Amigo Invisible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006   #13
LoneStarState
Veteran

What's interesting is that even the Chronicle is relatively subdued about the VY visit, too...

Of course, Rich Lord makes up for it all...
Old 04-07-2006   #14
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Did Rich Lord ask Vince about Reggie?
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006   #15
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:

Matt is good he is a safe pick but for our style of football he would be no bueno. matt is just the most NFL ready QB now but he's upside is no were near what VY is and that has nothing to do that VY is from houston.
the only time i saw Matt Leinart VS Vince Young they both had great games VY just proved he wanted it more. by me saying this doesnt mean i want VY i want what is best for the team.
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006   #16
Mailman04
Veteran

Good, no use to waste the top pick in the draft on Vince Young.
Mailman04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006   #17
MasterC25
Rookie

Quote:

Every team in the league knows that in order to get Bush then they would have to surrender this draft and maybe all of next years pick to the Texans. So everybody is just surrendering the idea that Bush will be a Texans. Nobody tried to trade up to Houston or Chicago when they both got Hakeem and Jordan in the 86 NBA Draft.
MasterC25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006   #18
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72472 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is the triumph of the small-minded.
What does that mean? Whose responsibility is it to discuss Young's visit? Are the ones who can't enough of Vince and don't discuss him now the small minded ones, or the ones who aren't interested in Vince required to discuss him?
Old 04-07-2006   #19
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
What does that mean? Whose responsibility is it to discuss Young's visit?
not only that, i dont know how it freaking went...anybody got some info?

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006   #20
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

I believe their are a lot of NFL types who think Cutler might be the best of the QB's. I think its in the eyes of the beholder and their is no clear cut best. That in facts helps Bush, because he is the best of his lot. This is why Bush probably is a safer choice to many. Each of the 3 QB's have their weaknesses and strengths. There are no guarnatees not even Bush and I favor Bush at this point over others.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read