Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-07-2006   #1
DRAMA
All Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to DRAMA
Default 2nd Round Pick?

I'm sure this has been asked multiple times but I actually tried to figure it out last night and couldn't. Who SHOULD we take with that high 2?

We need OL but it's so deep, we can get a good one in the 3rd. (Scott, Whitworth, Colledge, etc..)

We could use a TE. If Pope's there, maybe we reach but again, we can get a good one in the 3rd. (Fasano, Thomas, Kloppenstein, Byrd, etc..)

We need a safety but I don't really value one here to draft.

We NEED another corner and there's a good chance a Cromartie or the likes could fall.
We NEED another MLB and D'Qwell Jackson would be a great pick here...but is it a little too high? D'Qwell is one my picks!

What if Sinorice Moss is there? WOW! That would be hard to pass even though he's a complete non-need. Do we take a road-grader in Max Gean-Gilles even though he may not be the 'kind' of player that our system uses? What about Nick Mangold? Flanagan gets hurt you have your center, otherwise, he can move to guard.

Anyway, I just can't get a grip on the 'need' here. If it were me, and one of the top corners were there (Tye Hill, Cromartie, Jennings) I'd go CB. Otherwise, I'd like to get a Gilles, Winston, or Mangold here... Heck, Bush could HIDE behind Big Max!!

THoughts?
DRAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006   #2
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

We won't take a WR or a TE because we just signed Moulds and Putzier. I think we take a CB unless all of the good ones are taken, then we will take Winston if available
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006   #3
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

CB would be the best position to take here, because there are 5 first rd. quality CB's and it is a critical position. J. Joseph, A. Cromartie, T. Hill, J. Williams, and J. Allen one of them has to be available in the second rd. I mean there are alot of other guys that could fall to our pick, but more than likely one of these guys would be there and whoever is there would be an incredible help. Sorry, I think linebacker could be addressed in the third rd. LB's usually fall on D-day.
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006   #4
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

if i was a betting man, i would have to say

With the #33 pick in the 2006 nfl draft, the houston texans select

Donte Whitner-SS, University of South Carolina. Just a hunch

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006   #5
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07
if i was a betting man, i would have to say

With the #33 pick in the 2006 nfl draft, the houston texans select

Donte Whitner-SS, University of South Carolina. Just a hunch
Why another SS isn't FS what we need, and correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it likely that he might be there in the third?
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006   #6
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_boy_yec
Why another SS isn't FS what we need, and correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it likely that he might be there in the third?
im not arguing the merits of the pick....just a hunch on my part. Take it with a grain of salt, and take it for what its worth. Maybe a little birdie told me.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
Old 04-07-2006   #7
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 94067 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

CB.

It is the biggest immediate need, unless people believe that P-Buc has spent the entire off season growing a pair.

That and there should be some genuine quality left on the board.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-07-2006   #8
TexansJunkE
Veteran

I think you must go OT.
TexansJunkE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006   #9
horn_omatic
Rookie

whitner went to ohio state.
Old 04-07-2006   #10
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn_omatic
whitner went to ohio state.

good lord...i just had a complete brain meltdown on that one. thanks.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Old 04-07-2006   #11
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Whitner can play either safety position. He can even get some spot duty in at CB if needed.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006   #12
DRAMA
All Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to DRAMA

Not Popular - I like Putzier and think he'll fit fine. But if you get a chance to get a 6'7" speedy TE who can block AND catch? You gotta think about it.

Not Popular - I know that Big Max probably doesn't fit our style but this guy can plow the road. Throw him in with an OT from the 3rd and we're looking pretty good. Seriously, if you added Gean-Gilles AND Colledge to your right side - sounds nice!

Popular - If Kubiak feels that Winston has the footwork, he may indeed be the pick here.

However, any chance of trading your 2nd and your 3rd to move up with old pal Shanahan to 15 and take your choice of CB's? Probably too high a price to pay for a corner though??!!
DRAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006   #13
PATexansFan
Rookie

Winston, Cromartie, or Jackson/Holmes, if one of them falls.
PATexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006   #14
Eyeguy
Veteran

If Winston is there at #33 take him and combined with Bush selection you have a great draft no matter who else you pick.
Eyeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006   #15
dwilt72
Veteran

Default Who should we pick in 2nd round?

Since we all know that the Texans will probably draft Reggie in the first round, who do you think we should draft in the 2nd? Looking at some of the mock drafts, it looks like the following players may be available (depending on which mock draft you believe). I hope it is someone from this list, preferably O-Line, Defensive End or LB. Also feel free to add any name that is not on this list.

TE - Leonard Pope (Georgia)
T - Daryn Colledge - (Boise)
T - Marcus McNeal (Auburn)
G - Max Jean-Gilles (Georgia)
G - Davis Joseph (oklahoma)
G - Duce Lutui (USC)
DE - Daryl Tapp (Va. Tech)
DE - Tamba Hali (Penn St.)
DE - Manny Lawson (NC St.)
LB - D'Qwell Jackson (Maryland)
LB - Bobby Carpenter (Ohio St.)
CB - Antonio Cromartie (Florida St.)
CB - Kelly Jennings (Miami)
S - Ko Simpson (S. Carolina)
S - Darnell Bing (USC)
dwilt72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006   #16
ojthecat
Veteran

Vince Young
Old 04-08-2006   #17
TexansNeedRBin05
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 TexansNeedRBin05 has been demoted to the practice squad
Send a message via AIM to TexansNeedRBin05 Send a message via MSN to TexansNeedRBin05

what about mangold or winston?
TexansNeedRBin05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006   #18
cred
Rookie

I personally like E. Winston out of miami, if he dropped that far. I also like jonathon joseph, CB, from S. Carolina. as well.
cred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006   #19
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Just off of your list, (which actually is not great)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilt72
TE - Leonard Pope (Georgia)
T - Daryn Colledge - (Boise)
T - Marcus McNeal (Auburn)
G - Max Jean-Gilles (Georgia)
G - Davis Joseph (oklahoma)
G - Duce Lutui (USC)
DE - Daryl Tapp (Va. Tech)
DE - Tamba Hali (Penn St.)
DE - Manny Lawson (NC St.)
LB - D'Qwell Jackson (Maryland)
LB - Bobby Carpenter (Ohio St.)

CB - Antonio Cromartie (Florida St.)
CB - Kelly Jennings (Miami)
S - Ko Simpson (S. Carolina)
S - Darnell Bing (USC)
The bolded players are the only ones who deserve to be picked that early, and who would fit our system. Work on your list if you want to propose a question like this.
Old 04-08-2006   #20
pskinny
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
Just off of your list, (which actually is not great)

The bolded players are the only ones who deserve to be picked that early, and who would fit our system. Work on your list if you want to propose a question like this.

Wow. TE - Leonard Pope (Georgia), T - Marcus McNeal (Auburn), G - Max Jean-Gilles (Georgia), and DE - Tamba Hali (Penn St.) could go that early as well if not already off the board.
pskinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read