Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-07-2006   #1
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Rep Power: 28 HardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performer
Default they just need time to... gel

Bring back bad memories??

I was a loyal fan of our old regime to a default. Seeing our young team constantly improve over the first 3 years had me sold on Capers plan regardless of what many posters on this board were saying. I bought into the philosophy of just giving our offensive line time to play together. All they needed was to learn eachother's playing style... they needed to gel. Well we all saw how well that worked out last season.

As much as I stood up for Capers and Co. last season made me open my eyes. I've loved just about every offseason move my team has made. Starting with getting Kubiak and Sherman. Our freeagency aquistions have been better than I could of ever hoped for. But I'm still worried about what I've been worried about since day 1.... our offensive line. Adding Flanagan to the unit will be a big upgrade but besides him our line is looking pretty much the same as last year. I thought Pitts did an outstanding job holding down the LT spot at the end of the year but the rest of the line stunk up the joint. I know we still have the draft and I'm hoping to snag a LT in the second round that slipped out of the first. I think that the biggest addition to our offensive line is going to be Sherman. So I'm going to go back to my old ways of blind, unwaivering loyalty and pray that all our offensive linemen needed was time to gel.
Old 04-07-2006   #2
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardKnockTexan
I was a loyal fan of our old regime to a default. Seeing our young team constantly improve over the first 3 years had me sold on Capers plan regardless of what many posters on this board were saying. I bought into the philosophy of just giving our offensive line time to play together. All they needed was to learn eachother's playing style... they needed to gel. Well we all saw how well that worked out last season.
Except of course the coaches didn't even let them do that. They changed the line, replacing a player at a critical position who would have been in his second year of starting and who probably would have improved from his previous year, as lineman tend to do once the first year of hard learning is done.

Not only did they replace him, they substituted a player who was well on the downside of his career, who had never played the position before, who's physical skill set did not match the scheme, who was in pathetic shape, and who in my opinion didn't understand what scheme there was.
Old 04-07-2006   #3
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardKnockTexan
Bring back bad memories??

As much as I stood up for Capers and Co. last season made me open my eyes. I've loved just about every offseason move my team has made. Starting with getting Kubiak and Sherman. Our freeagency aquistions have been better than I could of ever hoped for. But I'm still worried about what I've been worried about since day 1.... our offensive line. Adding Flanagan to the unit will be a big upgrade but besides him our line is looking pretty much the same as last year. I thought Pitts did an outstanding job holding down the LT spot at the end of the year but the rest of the line stunk up the joint. I know we still have the draft and I'm hoping to snag a LT in the second round that slipped out of the first. I think that the biggest addition to our offensive line is going to be Sherman. So I'm going to go back to my old ways of blind, unwaivering loyalty and pray that all our offensive linemen needed was time to gel.
The team should have stayed with Capers. It was headed in the right direction. Both Holmgren and Cowher had off years -- what if their teams would have fired them? The free agent acquisitions are nothing but a bunch of old, washed-up hasbeens that either nobody else really wanted or are completely irrelevant to what this team really needs. Though I was disappointed in last year's performance, I had confidence in how Capers was handling this team. I cannot say that for Kubiak and the rest of his cronies.

Last edited by Bobo; 04-07-2006 at 12:10 PM.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006   #4
dwilt72
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
Except of course the coaches didn't even let them do that. They changed the line, replacing a player at a critical position who would have been in his second year of starting and who probably would have improved from his previous year, as lineman tend to do once the first year of hard learning is done.

Not only did they replace him, they substituted a player who was well on the downside of his career, who had never played the position before, who's physical skill set did not match the scheme, who was in pathetic shape, and who in my opinion didn't understand what scheme there was.
I agree. Wand seemed to get in the doghouse somehow. They let everyone play in the O-Line EXCEPT for him last year. With one year experience, you can't expect the guy to be an All-Pro!
dwilt72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006   #5
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

I posted this on July 31, 2005 after watching a practice:

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zon...7&postcount=20

Wand was in Pendry's doghouse for whatever reason and it showed. In addition to performance issues, there were obvious morale issues. Hopefully he will be one of those pleasant turnaround surprises this year under new guidance. New system - new coaching may be what the doc ordered for guys like him and .. gasp ....Weary.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006   #6
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo
The team should have stayed with Capers. It was headed in the right direction. Both Holmgren and Cowher had off years -- what if their teams would have fired them? The free agent acquisitions are nothing but a bunch of old, washed-up hasbeens that either nobody else really wanted or are completely irrelevant to what this team really needs. Though I was disappointed in last year's performance, I had confidence in how Capers was handling this team. I cannot say that for Kubiak and the rest of his cronies.

It would be one thing if we just had a bad season, but when you listened to players you heard the same thing every game. They never made any adjustments in the second half. How many games were there last season where the Texans would be semi-competitive in the first half only to get blown out in the second half? There was also the 1 audible in the playbook that everyone in the NFL knew. What was the point of having an audible if once you do it, the other team now knows what you will be doing? I remember towards the middle of the season when Carr would call an audible you would see the opposing LBs pointing to watch for a run to the left.

Cowher and Holmgren had bad seasons like every other coach in the league, but neither of them ever had made so many coaching blunders like Capers and Co. Capers is a great guy, I've met him before and I really liked him, but this is a business and his team failed. I'm sure even Capers would tell you that there were a lot of things that he wished he didn't do. The whole situation spiraled out of control to a point of no return with Capers. I wish him the best in Miami but I'm glad that we have Kubiak here now.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006   #7
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Cowher and Holmgren had bad seasons like every other coach in the league, but neither of them ever had made so many coaching blunders like Capers and Co. Capers is a great guy, I've met him before and I really liked him, but this is a business and his team failed. I'm sure even Capers would tell you that there were a lot of things that he wished he didn't do. The whole situation spiraled out of control to a point of no return with Capers. I wish him the best in Miami but I'm glad that we have Kubiak here now.
Whether Capers was "a great guy" or not is irrelevant. He was a great head coach as anybody can readily see by what he did with this team in its first three years and got a raw deal in Houston. His team did not fail any more than the Steelers and the Seahawks failed when they hit 6-10. It goes w/o saying that ANY coach would admit there were lots of things they wished they didn't do -- including Holmgren and Cowher. And the thing didn't "spiral out of control" any more than it "spiraled out of control" when Cowher and Holmgren went 6-10. I for one wish we would have stayed the course with Capers like the Seahawks and Steelers did with their coaches. I think the franchise and the fans will live to regret not sticking with the original regime and in time will look back at the Capers tenure with fondness compared to the years of disaster Kubiak will inflict on the Texans. I'm already regretting the decision to fire Capers. I have no confidence at all in Kubiak.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-09-2006   #8
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP
Default Rose colored glasses?...NOT EVEN, try blind folded!

Quote:
Whether Capers was "a great guy" or not is irrelevant. He was a great head coach as anybody can readily see by what he did with this team in its first three years and got a raw deal in Houston. His team did not fail any more than the Steelers and the Seahawks failed when they hit 6-10. It goes w/o saying that ANY coach would admit there were lots of things they wished they didn't do -- including Holmgren and Cowher. And the thing didn't "spiral out of control" any more than it "spiraled out of control" when Cowher and Holmgren went 6-10. I for one wish we would have stayed the course with Capers like the Seahawks and Steelers did with their coaches. I think the franchise and the fans will live to regret not sticking with the original regime and in time will look back at the Capers tenure with fondness compared to the years of disaster Kubiak will inflict on the Texans. I'm already regretting the decision to fire Capers. I have no confidence at all in Kubiak.
What were there this year, like 9 HC openings? If Capers is so good, why weren't these teams in the mkt for a HC knocking down his door? I think the Bills were his only interview--why weren't these other teams able to see that (according to you) the Texans did Dom wrong? Shoot, Capers couldn't even land a coordinators job like other fired coaches did, having to settle for a 'token' 1 year job in Miami as an Asst to the HC!!

Unfortunately, this argument will probally never be settled because it is doubtful that Capers will ever be a HC again. His reputation for rigidity in his deecision making is legendary and he won't learn from his mistakes and move forward. Personally, I didn't care for him because he never accepted blame for his teams losses, instead he always blamed the players for a lack of execution. In the real world, how many mgrs would be able to keep their jobs for 4 yrs by always blaming lack of results on subordinates? Heck, maybe one year but 'excuses' in the 'real world' work place are 'taboo.'...think about it this way, Bobo, any mgr can make excuses but not evey mgr can get results-especially in an acceptable time frame. Face it, the facts are there-- Capers did not get results, he made excuses...:brickwall
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsip
What were there this year, like 9 HC openings? If Capers is so good, why weren't these teams in the mkt for a HC knocking down his door?
FYI--as Vinny caught a while back, Bobo is a Titan's Fan--link. He isn't here to discuss the best interests of the Texans--just to
Old 04-09-2006   #10
MightyTExan
It's go time!

Rep Power: 18146 MightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respected

Before the game to the players:

Capers: Don't lose the game guys!
Kubiak: Win the game guys! (I hope)
MightyTExan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006   #11
Erratic Assassin
All Pro

Rep Power: 13 Erratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
Wand was in Pendry's doghouse for whatever reason and it showed. Hopefully he will be one of those pleasant turnaround surprises this year under new guidance.
I have concerns that Wand doesn't fit Kubiak's system. I just can't picture him having the athleticism to do things that Kubiak would need him to do.
Old 04-09-2006   #12
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratic Assassin
I have concerns that Wand doesn't fit Kubiak's system. I just can't picture him having the athleticism to do things that Kubiak would need him to do.
He's fast and quick. Admittedly you need to look past his height and weight numbers to see that. His combine numbers show him just a little quicker than D'Brickashaw in the agility drills.

What he needs to fix is his technique in pass protection. That's it. That is something that is coachable, and something the Texans knew when they drafted him. However, we have done very little player development in the past 4 years. We now have coaches who will teach at practice, and I think people will be very surprised at who our LT is going to be and how well he will perform.
Old 04-09-2006   #13
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
He's fast and quick. Admittedly you need to look past his height and weight numbers to see that. His combine numbers show him just a little quicker than D'Brickashaw in the agility drills.

What he needs to fix is his technique in pass protection. That's it. That is something that is coachable, and something the Texans knew when they drafted him. However, we have done very little player development in the past 4 years. We now have coaches who will teach at practice, and I think people will be very surprised at who our LT is going to be and how well he will perform.
I agree. The main problem with our O-line at the moment is switching from slow run blockers (like Todd Wade) to guys who can move quicker and have a bit more skill in the pass protection area. This is so that Kubiak will have flexibility on the line, which will work wonders with Reggie. Capers had a lot of slow guys on the line.... and IMO he just didnt understand how to fix it.
Old 04-09-2006   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratic Assassin
At least coming out of college Wand seemed like a text book description of what the Texans' would be looking for:

Quote:
Positives: Very light on his feet for a player his size Has the quickness needed to instantly get into the defender coming off the snap Capable of moving laterally on pulls and traps Has very good balance, keeping his feet on the move Solid inline blocker with improved strength and hand usage Very alert picking up stunts and twists Has the frame to add more bulk with no loss in speed Shows good kick slide and shuffle adjusting to the edge rush in pass protection Bends his knees properly and fires off the ball with aggression.

Negatives: Needs to improve his playing strength, as he does not show the power needed to keep defenders from running over him and pushing him back into the pocket Gets his hands up quickly, but is more of a finesse blocker than a mauler (defenders use rip moves to get into his chest to drive him back) Needs to show a sense of urgency blocking for the ground game, as he is not always quick to locate and stalk the linebacker at the second level Looks awkward coming out of his stance, as he does not keep a wide leg base and tends to lean and reach too much Lack of arm-extension technique will see him slip off a few blocks rather than sustain Does not show good hand punch in pass protection, which lets the defensive end escape and redirect inside Has a documented learning disability that could pose problems digesting a complicated play book.
Link

He did improve his strength quite a bit and turned into a pretty good run blocker. He was one of the guys you could see down field trying to make 2nd level blocks. It will be interesting to see if the coaches think he fits in and how well good coaching can improve him if so.
Old 04-09-2006   #15
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default I'm a guessing Bobo doesn't know what engendering "good will" means.....

Quote:
Holmgren and Cowher had lots of stored good will. Something that Capers ran out of.

Holmgren and Cowher have had a history of great success as a head coach. Capers did not.

It is not a question of if Kubiak will get fired some day, usually it is a question of when, because with few exceptions, coaches all get fired. I can tell you, even if Kubiak is the worst coach ever to grace the NFL, there will be no one in the entire universe other than Bobo the Titanhick Troll that will be looking wistfully back at the ugly looking, sub .500 Capers era. (Even Dom Capers won't be looking back at it with admiration.)
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006   #16
customdano
Rookie

I have much higher expectations. Multiple threats on the new offense, keeping the opposing team off gaurd with multiple players leaving the line of scrimmage all with definite "YAC" ability. Plus an improved O-line their not done yet! will make Defences think twice about blowing through The O-line "Make"em Pay" might mean something this year. Balance will be the key to The Texans success not AJ,DD & Carr Though they are all capable.When The team goes out on the field this year it will command respect because it will have the "I" removed from it. The opposing team will not know for sure that we will run the ball on 1st, 2nd. and then have to throw on third to a receiver that is triple covered,or one that will probably drop the ball in a clutch,during an all out blitz. Kubiak has stepped down off the podium and has put himself on the field with the Team. The summ of all their parts will be Greater than anyone of them as a whole......Go Texans
customdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006   #17
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

Are u gellin?
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006   #18
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas
Are u gellin?
I'm magellan
Old 04-09-2006   #19
done88
Veteran

Moving Mckinney to guard will be a shot in the arm for the left side of the line. Pitts, McKinney. Flanagan will be solid on the left. However the right side is still in limbo. Look for them to address right guard in the draft while letting everyone else fight for RT. IF they can get adequate play on the right side I just mean average this offense will explode.
Old 04-09-2006   #20
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by done88
Moving Mckinney to guard will be a shot in the arm for the left side of the line. Pitts, McKinney. Flanagan will be solid on the left. However the right side is still in limbo. Look for them to address right guard in the draft while letting everyone else fight for RT. IF they can get adequate play on the right side I just mean average this offense will explode.
Does anyone know if there is a difference in what you look for in a LG vs. RG? Why assume McKinney will be left guard and not right guard?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read