Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-06-2006   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Reggie Article

Texans website front page:

Link: "Last impression "

Quote:
If the Texans select Reggie Bush with the first pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the USC running back should have an easy transition.

Speaking with head coach Gary Kubiak Thursday, Bush discovered that if the Texans draft him, his role will be comparable to what it was in college.

“We were pretty much both on the same page,” Bush said of his meeting with Kubiak. “(I’ll be used) similar to the way I was used at Southern Cal, being established as a running back first, and then splitting out wide and playing a little receiver, and returning punts and kicks.”

Bush’s visit with the Texans occurred less than five days after he wowed NFL scouts and coaches at the USC pro day. But the Heisman Trophy winner showed another side of his personality in his first-ever trip to the Bayou City. Appearing calm and composed, Bush spoke to the media in the afternoon and described his tour of Reliant Stadium as well as his meetings with the coaches, players and front office staff.

Asked about what most impressed him about his visit, Bush mentioned the facilities and the team’s attitude and direction, particularly with the Texans’ recent signings.

“It just seems like they have nothing but high expectations for this season and upcoming seasons,” he said. “They’ve made some great additions to their offense this year with Eric Moulds and a few linemen. It just seems like adding those few pieces of the puzzle—hopefully me and a few other guys—will get this team up and running and hopefully competing for a championship this next coming year.” ...........more

“No, I didn’t directly ask them that question,” Bush said. “They didn’t really tell me anything directly, other than the fact that they’re excited for this upcoming draft and excited for me to be a Texan. And that’s pretty much as far as it goes. It’s still early and I don’t think that they would want to put that out there anyway. I wouldn’t want to, anyway.”..........more
2 thoughts that jump out:

1. Hmmmm, where is Mathis gonna fit in all this?

2. Sounds pretty direct to me.
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006   #2
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I don't know, but maybe they will have 2 people back to return kicks so that teams can't avoid a great return. I wouldn't want him to return kicks personally. I think he would be a great punt return man, but kick returns are too dangerous
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006   #3
Johnny Utah
All Pro

I pretty sure Mathis will continue to return kickoffs especially since he was a probowler at it.
Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006   #4
LoneStarState
Veteran

If Bush returns kicks it will be very seldom.
Old 04-06-2006   #5
kbourda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34 kbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respected

Mark my words. Reggie Bush will not return kicks for us. They would have to be crazy to allow that to happen.
Old 04-07-2006   #6
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 32563 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah
I pretty sure Mathis will continue to return kickoffs especially since he was a probowler at it.
Except...how many games did Mathis miss last year? A backup plan would be good.
Old 04-07-2006   #7
Frank_The_Tank
Veteran

Never mind this one is too easy...
Frank_The_Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-07-2006   #8
phan1
All Pro

Having them both there for kickoffs and punts could be interesting. I wonder how good Mathis is at returning punts, as I don't think he returned that many last year. Remind me if you will, but I think he had butterfingers a few time trying to return punts.
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006   #9
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 32563 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by phan1
Having them both there for kickoffs and punts could be interesting. I wonder how good Mathis is at returning punts, as I don't think he returned that many last year. Remind me if you will, but I think he had butterfingers a few time trying to return punts.
Mathis wasn't as effective returning punts - he needs a little more room to get up to his blazing speed. He has a great top end.
Old 04-07-2006   #10
LikeABoss
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 LikeABoss seems to be losing the respect of his peers

Reggie will be returning punts.

Why try to fix whats not broken on kick returns
Old 04-07-2006   #11
bad
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 bad is on the Pro-Bowl ballotbad is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Aren't there normally two guys back on kickoffs? I say put 'em both back there and wait for the squib kick.
bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006   #12
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoss
Why try to fix whats not broken on kick returns
I agree, except that on one year's evidence we can expect Mathis to miss some games because he is "broken". If he stays healthy, I'd think he has to be our returner all year.

Last edited by Runner; 04-07-2006 at 09:43 AM.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006   #13
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

I don't know that I want our 50M dollar man returning kicks/punts.

Though I think he would be very good at both. Kicking to Mathis/Bush ... damn, pick your poison.

Our ST is going to be raw next year.
Old 04-07-2006   #14
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

In a close game where we need a good return, I could see us lining them both up back there. Much like the Falcons do with Allen Rossum & Deangelo Hall.
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006   #15
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frak The Jags
In a close game where we need a good return, I could see us lining them both up back there. Much like the Falcons do with Allen Rossum & Deangelo Hall.
Situational decision making by the coaches? On-the-fly adjustments? Intriguing!!!!!!
Old 04-07-2006   #16
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

Quote:
Situational decision making by the coaches? On-the-fly adjustments? Intriguing!!!!!!
Why, whoever are you referring to ???
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006   #17
TreWardTxn
Veteran

There is no direct connection between returning kicks and player injury. He's just as likely to get hurt running the ball from scrimmage. Jason Sehorn is the only guy i can remember being hurt returning punts as a 'high-profile' guy. We may not like the thought of him back there, but that's the only way to get maximum performance from him. If he does well early and returns a few long, teams won't kick to us deep anymore, then we lessen the risk and get good field position. So you have to let him try it out and see if he can put that fear in the opposing team...
TreWardTxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006   #18
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I think his game is better suited for returning punts than Mathis. Mathis is great for returning kicks because he gets that 10-20 yard buffer zone where he can build up to full speed and just blow by people. Reggie can accelerate immediately and is shiftier which is necessary for punt returns.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006   #19
el toro
All Pro

Man, Mathis returning kickoffs and Bush returning punts. What a special teams' nightmare.

el toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006   #20
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frak The Jags
Why, whoever are you referring to ???
Seriously, where do you get this idea from? If the players don't execute, how can we win games?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read