Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-06-2006   #1
1-3
Veteran

Default Mel Kiper on this drafts depth

Quick quote from his recent chat which bodes very well for us with our picks.

Quote:
Mel, just how deep is this draft? Are we looking at impact players through the 4th?

Mel Kiper: Yes. I'll tell you why. At the end of the third round, there will be 97 players taken. I have right now 45 players with first round ability, 41 as second rounders and 34 as third rounder. That's 120 players in the first three rounds. That takes you almost through the first four rounds. These are all quality players. I'm talking about in the early second day bringing in quality players. There are 120 players that are legitimate first three round players. That means I have 23 guys that will go in the fourth round that should have gone in the third round.
Sounds like we could do some damage if Casserly's hands are kept out of the draft pick cookie jar.
1-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006   #2
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Thank god we kept that fourth round pick and gave the Bills a fifth
Old 04-06-2006   #3
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I think CC has done a good job in the draft except for Carr. It has been the off season where our acquisitions have not been great in my opinion.
Old 04-06-2006   #4
The Dude Abides
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39 The Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
I think CC has done a good job in the draft except for Carr. It has been the off season where our acquisitions have not been great in my opinion.
Agreed for the most part. I think Carr is still an unproven commodity(sadly) and hopefully he can turn it around this year with the right system, enough weapons, and time to pass. Otherwise it's time to ship him out.
Old 04-06-2006   #5
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

Quote:
Sounds like we could do some damage if Casserly's hands are kept out of the draft pick cookie jar.
I think I am going to lay off Casserly for a bit...
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006   #6
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-3
too late already, gone are the 1st picks of the 5th & 7th rds.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006   #7
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
I think CC has done a good job in the draft except for Carr.
I think its very difficult for you to justify your criticism of the Carr pick.
Who else would we have taken at the time? Peppers? Peppers never projected
as a defensive lineman or LB in the 3-4, he's a 4-3 DE and since Cappers was always a 3-4 guy, Peppers would have been a totally inappropriate pick.
Should we have taken Harrington or OT Williams ? You tell me.
Now if you want to be critical with Carr's developement after he came to Houston to include the kind of personnel he was surrounded with to help
him succeed in an Xpansion franchise, thats a different subject all together. I'm right in there with you in being a critic if that whole process. But that's
Capers and his staff, not Casserly.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-06-2006   #8
texman8
Veteran

Ditto....
texman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006   #9
texman8
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
Mmm...for Moulds and Walter;it was worth it....by replacing Gaffney and Bradford.
Old 04-06-2006   #10
Dunta_23
All Pro

Quote:
Indeed, for 1 4 time pro-bowl steady # 2 reciever and the 7th for an up and coming big target at WR that the front office felt could make our team...unlike most/if not all 7th round picks
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006   #11
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-3

So far this offseason it's looked to me like Casserly's doing a fine job when he's not filling orders from Dom & his staff. If he drafts like he's been working the free agents then I think he can go back to the cookie jar as many times as he wants.
Old 04-06-2006   #12
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm more than satisfied with the return he got for those picks. I think he did a hell of a job.
Old 04-06-2006   #13
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
I'm more than satisfied with the return he got for those picks. I think he did a hell of a job.
No joke Herv.
Old 04-06-2006   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
you also have to consider the cap hit & financial commitment, the reason both where available in the 1st place. the Texans paid a premium, thats a fact, also the draft picks would be making squat in comparison
Old 04-06-2006   #15
el toro
All Pro

Quote:
you also have to consider the cap hit & financial commitment, the reason both where available in the 1st place. the Texans paid a premium, thats a fact, also the draft picks would be making squat in comparison

...and they'd be contributing squat too.
el toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006   #16
Dunta_23
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by el toro
Bingo..instead of taking chances, our FO invested more into more proven players
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006   #17
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by el toro
and next year in free agency you can't do squat because you spent all the money this year
Old 04-06-2006   #18
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
and next year in free agency you can't do squat because you spent all the money this year
and next year your draft will suck because your team will start winning.
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006   #19
texman8
Veteran

Quote:
It's too early to speculate about next year.....Wade and Weigert probably will be gone. Depending on P-Buc's play, who knows if Texans will resign him. Will DD be traded?....I think AJ will be due a new deal. We probably won't be as agressive as this year...we won't have as many holes to fill.

The biggest question: Will Casserly be gone and who will be the new GM?
Old 04-06-2006   #20
beerlover
Site Contributor

all I'm saying at some point at the current spending rate the Texans could wind up in cap hell and actually lose players it wanted to keep. Between Weaver, Moulds & Carr they spent a huge chunk of the teams cap money (someone who knows the specfics could add up the correct amount, I'm not even going to take a guess ) & thats before the draft, some think Reggie Bush is gonna ask for 50 million & you still have the 2nd and two 3rds.

if Casserly was such a genius then why could'nt he shed payroll with current players on the roster instead of just cutting them free? I have not seen the Texans make a significant trade exchanging players in a long time, though maybe I'm forgetting someone. its not always talent or contributions to the team its cap relief that dictates a buisness runs in the red.[/FONT
]

seems to me we could have killed two birds with one stone by trading Carr then drafting Young or not signing Weaver and drafting Mario Williams instead of adding to the budget with compromises

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read